Thread: Indy Star - New season, new style: Pacers unleashed

Default Indy Star - New season, new style: Pacers unleashed

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...23/1004/SPORTS

New season, new style: Pacers unleashed
    Coach says team can play at varied speeds; players eager to run

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

It would happen so often in seasons past. Jamaal Tinsley would receive an outlet pass, quickly dribble between his legs to elude a defender and look up court as teammates filled the lanes.

A fast-break opportunity would appear likely -- until coach Rick Carlisle put up the stop sign.

Carlisle, who keeps a blue card with plays in the inner pocket of his suit, often hopped out of his seat, removed the card and yelled out an offensive set.

Tinsley would stop and, with a look of frustration on his face, carry out the coach's wishes.

The Indiana Pacers hope Carlisle puts away the card this season, which begins today with the start of training camp at Conseco Fieldhouse. Their offense was reconstructed with that belief in mind. Every trade, signing and draft pick was done to become more athletic, more difficult to defend. Carlisle spent part of the summer discussing with players a new offensive approach.

"(Carlisle has) done a great job reaching out and asking questions about our preferences," forward Jermaine O'Neal said. "I think he understands that now we're built to run. A guy like Jamaal Tinsley, he's not really built for a half-court offense because he has the ability to break down the defense and get the ball up and make precise passes. . . . I think the city is going to be happy about this style of play. I think we kind of got predictable the last couple of years with our style of play, and it wasn't really fun to watch."

Tinsley admitted Monday that occasionally he was frustrated by Carlisle's decisions. But he added, "I can't control how he wants to play. I just take orders."

The Pacers don't expect to average nearly 108 points a game like the Phoenix Suns did last season, but Carlisle thinks there will be more freedom.

"My goal is to do the right thing to help us win based on the personnel we have," Carlisle said in an interview last week. "Creativity is hindered by too much structure. We have to find the right balance between staying creative and staying with a system that allows us to be good defensively and still get out and do some explosive things on the offensive end. That's the goal of this training camp."

Carlisle spent the summer looking at different teams' offensive systems. He noted NBA finalists Miami and Dallas weren't married to -- or restrained by -- a single style.

"They were teams that could play fast or slow," Carlisle said. "Those games in the Finals weren't track meets. They were good basketball games that featured different paces. The one thing that was consistent was that both teams defended at a high level and were able to rebound the ball.

"We have to be careful. We don't want to compromise the ability to win games by trying to play a pretty style. I think that's something we have to really study closely."

Carlisle occasionally let go of the offensive reins last season, primarily when injuries forced his hand. In February, when O'Neal, the team's best low post threat, was out, the Pacers went 7-3 and averaged nearly 98 points -- five more than their season average.

O'Neal encouraged the Pacers to continue the up-tempo style upon his
    return, but the team soon fell back into its half-court style that revolved around passes to him in the post.

"Last year was probably the slowest that I ever played basketball, other than with the exception of the one year I had in Barcelona," backup point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius said. "Let's hope we can (speed up) because last year we also tried it but it didn't work out that way. Let's hope it's going to change."

Even as the Pacers speed up their play, Carlisle won't spend much time sitting on the bench, wrinkling his suit. He'll hop up and pull out that blue card if the pace becomes helter-skelter or the Pacers make poor decisions.

"One of the inherent responsibilities of playing a more free-flowing style is you have responsibility to play to your strengths," he said. "It's our jobs as coaches to make sure guys understand what their role is and what we expect of them, and we are going to be very explicit with how we approach that."

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Default Re: Indy Star - New season, new style: Pacers unleashed

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Carlisle
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Creativity is hindered by too much structure. We have to find the right balance between staying creative and staying with a system that allows us to be good defensively and still get out and do some explosive things on the offensive end. That's the goal of this training camp."
    This is good enough. That part about "get out and do some explosive things on the offensive end" is what I'm looking forward to.

Last year, the Pacers often seemed to use the shot clock as a sort of sixth man on defense, as if the main purpose of each possession was to hold the ball away from the other team for 24 seconds. Scoring seemed to be unimportant to the offense. But that was last year -- which was 100 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Carlisle
    "We have to be careful. We don't want to compromise the ability to win games by trying to play a pretty style. I think that's something we have to really study closely."
    I don't think this was ever a danger. How many times have we heard, "We're not going to run like Phoenix" from Bird of Walsh or Carlisle? Few fans even wish for that, I think. We'd rather see good defense and an offense that can control the tempo.

If they will look for the quick outlet and use it in about one possession out of 5, and if they will let guys run fast breaks on steals and whenever they can have a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 2, I'll be happy.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Well, we're certainly hearing the right things.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I can't wait until fan jam this weekend

It would happen so often in seasons past. Jamaal Tinsley would receive an outlet pass, quickly dribble between his legs to elude a defender and look up court as teammates filled the lanes.

A fast-break opportunity would appear likely -- until coach Rick Carlisle put up the stop sign.

Carlisle, who keeps a blue card with plays in the inner pocket of his suit, often hopped out of his seat, removed the card and yelled out an offensive set.

Tinsley would stop and, with a look of frustration on his face, carry out the coach's wishes.

Rick Carlisle killed Jamaal Tinsley

Sports Logo

Gee in wonder if that had anything to do with Jamaal and his additude towards Rick.

I have been saying it and I will keep saying it. Rick is the WRONG coach for THIS team. He would have been ok had we been the 1995 knicks but we are not.

Too bad we could not bring in Larry Brown again he would at least know how to use Jamaal.

Pacers Need A Better GM. !Pacers-Fan!'s Avatar

Long Read, but i hope Rick controls the Up-Tempo style well.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    "Last year was probably the slowest that I ever played basketball, other than with the exception of the one year I had in Barcelona," backup point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius said. "Let's hope we can (speed up) because last year we also tried it but it didn't work out that way. Let's hope it's going to change."
    Damn, is there anything this guy doesn't whine about? He still acts as if he's proven himself and the offense should adjust to his needs. What a brat.

Jermaniac; (Ragnar) good to see you out again

Yes, that part of the article says it ALL

And you know what? this team WANTS JT so it's time the coach showed it too.

I believe in a great season for JT, till coach steps in.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Damn, is there anything this guy doesn't whine about? He still acts as if he's proven himself and the offense should adjust to his needs. What a brat.
    Yeah, I'm a Saras fan and I didn't care for that quote.

It may be completely true, but still left better unsaid. Of course, you never know what gets lost (added) in translation.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Yeah, I'm a Saras fan and I didn't care for that quote.

It may be completely true, but still left better unsaid. Of course, you never know what gets lost (added) in translation.
    His English is fine.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    God forbid we assume he was talking from a team perspective, too.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Really. Isn't that exactly what we've been talking about all summer?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wells
    "One of the inherent responsibilities of playing a more free-flowing style is you have responsibility to play to your strengths," he said. "It's our jobs as coaches to make sure guys understand what their role is and what we expect of them, and we are going to be very explicit with how we approach that."
    If Carlisle can get the players to buy into their roles and stick with them... They're saying the right things, hopefully they'll do them as well.

Leisure Suit Larry

I think when Rick came here he knew that his type of coaching won championships but now he's seen it change with teams like Miami, Dallas, and Phoenix so he'll change too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we actually follow through with the all the stuff we have said this offseason we are going to be one heck of a fun team to watch.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yeah, god forbid. If Croshere was saying something similar six months ago we would all be applauding him. Saras is right here. If the tempo doesn't change then there is something wrong.

The fact is, both point guards on our roster are best-suited for a running offense. In fact, the only guy on the entire roster that I can see that is best-suited for a half-court game is Harrison. Say what you want about JO, but his best years revolved around him beating his man off the dribble, or beating him with a pivot move for a dunk or lay-in. Getting him the ball down low before the defense has a chance to set up can only result in good things.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    The fact is, both point guards on our roster are best-suited for a running offense. In fact, the only guy on the entire roster that I can see that is best-suited for a half-court game is Harrison. Say what you want about JO, but his best years revolved around him beating his man off the dribble, or beating him with a pivot move for a dunk or lay-in. Getting him the ball down low before the defense has a chance to set up can only result in good things.

That's why, even last season and through the summer, I have advocated a slimmer JO. He's quicker, healthier, and WAY more effective. I'm very happy to see that he's taken my advice.

I think even Harrison, also smaller now, would do well in a motion-offense. Some of his best ball last year was with Sarunas, off of pick-and-roll plays. If you get a guy that big on the move, it's a very effective offensive weapon. He's also a good option as a trailer on a fast break, because there ain't nothin' stopping that once it gets rollin'!
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Sarunas better be in shape and ready to run because that's whats going to happen...right when jermaine gets his first injury j/k I'm really excited.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!