Thread: Playing in the Eastern Conference Makes No Difference

Southside_Pacer

Default Playing in the Eastern Conference Makes No Difference

Why must analysts and pundits keep repeating the same bs that playing in the Eastern Conference makes a player less worthy of postseason honors?

Yeah, I'm bringing this up because on NBA Fastbreak, George Karl and Stephen A. Smith both had our O'Neal as a center on the NBA First Team over the other O'Neal.

However, Smith went into his usual rant of how playing in the Eastern Conference makes what players accomplish not so great. Playing in a conference doesn't make any bit of difference as to how good or bad a player is. Hard work, talent, teammates, coaching, THOSE are the factors that lead to a player being great.

JO obviously has a tremendous work ethic. We've seen it both on and off the court as he's been here in Indianapolis. He also has a ton of natural talent when it comes to the game of basketball as he's now one of the top players in the league.

His teammates support him on the court, ie Tinsley getting him the ball, Ron taking the pressure of him scoring wise, and defensively, Jeff battling the other big men inside and getting all those loose rebounds. He's obviously been coached as well.

I'm just so sick of hearing this same crap over and over and over again. Playing in the West doesn't make a player better, and playing in the East doesn't make a player worse. Even saying this is stupid.

Once again, if we were in the Western Conference we wouldn't have had the best record in the NBA. ed:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Playing in the Eastern Conference Makes No Difference

perception is reality...

their perception...their reality!

Yeah, I'm just as tired of it, but I don't see that changing until an east team beats the west in the Finals.

But, I just got done listening to Barkley get done saying sportswriters don't know jack in reference to one writer have his son help him select the All-NBA team.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Southside_Pacer

Eh, I wasn't ranting about the conference sucking, just that it doesn't matter playing wise where a man plays.

Playing in the western conference wouldn't make JO any better than he is right now. I really think these writers believe that.

Sports writers generally lack much thought, especially columnists. Hopefully when I get my degree in journalism, and I cover Pacers for the Star (and improve the whole sports section as a whole, especially with the coverage of high school athletics!) I can change this.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Eh, I wasn't ranting about the conference sucking, just that it doesn't matter playing wise where a man plays.

Playing in the western conference wouldn't make JO any better than he is right now. I really think these writers believe that.

Sports writers generally lack much thought, especially columnists. Hopefully when I get my degree in journalism, and I cover Pacers for the Star (and improve the whole sports section as a whole, especially with the coverage of high school athletics!) I can change this.
    The thing is...I know that you were not ranting about the east, but that is how the writers look at it. You are as good as your competition...eventhough we played the west, they feel his stats are stuffed with weaker competition. That is the impression that I get from listening to them.

Also, when we get propped for going 20-8 against the west...they are always quick with that 3-5 stat against the top 4 of the west. Artest or not!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Southside_Pacer

Yeah, they do forget that we were Artestless against the Kings, and despite that they were losses decided in the final minute. Also a one point loss at San Antonio, only to follow it with the whoopin' we played on them never gets mentioned.

No respect, but if the players feed off of it it can be a good thing.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

With this group of guys, the lack of respect seems to be a good thing. These guys feed off of it. Coming into the playoffs, these guys were thinking about last year's 1st round exit and they didn't need the added pressure of having every mediot in the country asking them if they were going to choke again. As it was they got very little media run and they used it as motivation.

I still find it hilarious that the next game the Pacers play on ABC will probably be the conference finals and it will only be the 2nd time they have been on there all year! The NBA wonders why the ratings suck? Maybe if they showed the team with the best record every once in a while the ratings would be better. Obviously showing the Lakers, Cavs, Mavs and Kings every chance you get isn't working.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Right before they announced the first team, I really wanted Shaq to make it instead of J.O. I know this is stupid, but I did not want Shaq to take it out on J.O in the Finals,

Mood

Right before they announced the first team, I really wanted Shaq to make it instead of J.O. I know this is stupid, but I did not want Shaq to take it out on J.O in the Finals,
    Shaq won't be in the Finals.

If anything, playing in the West inflates a player's stats more frequently than playing in the East. The East plays more of a slowdown, grind-it-out type of game (defensive-oriented) while the West is generally an up-tempo, high scoring (offensive-oriented) type of play.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

If anything, playing in the West inflates a player's stats more frequently than playing in the East. The East plays more of a slowdown, grind-it-out type of game (defensive-oriented) while the West is generally an up-tempo, high scoring (offensive-oriented) type of play.
    That's a great point. The West, for the most part, seem to be allergic to defense. They seem to want to stay as far away as possible from it. I hadn't thought about the effect that has on stats. I guess we'll find out if defense truly wins championships or not.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

My understanding, from what several broadcasters and sportswriters have said/written, is that the only way JO could have made the first team would have been over Duncan or Garnett.

Several said they wanted to vote for him over Shaq but the NBA said they had to vote for him at forward. Their general tone was that they thought leading a team to 61 wins ought to get him rewarded by being on the 1st team, but at the same time they couldn't justify voting for him over KG or Duncan.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

My understanding, from what several broadcasters and sportswriters have said/written, is that the only way JO could have made the first team would have been over Duncan or Garnett.

Several said they wanted to vote for him over Shaq but the NBA said they had to vote for him at forward. Their general tone was that they thought leading a team to 61 wins ought to get him rewarded by being on the 1st team, but at the same time they couldn't justify voting for him over KG or Duncan.
    no, i remembered that the nba made a clarification, that it's ok to vote guys like j.o. and duncan in at center, since they play that position at times. apparently all-nba voting is less strict than all-star voting ed:

Mood

I buy the inflated stats theory. Think about it, who REALLY plays defense in the West besides the Spurs and the Rockets? No one who's above mediocre at it.

Mood

That's funny... I could have sworn that one of the TOP DEFENSIVE TEAMS in the WESTERN CONFERENCE was the Timberwolves?

I wonder how they got the best record in the Midwest Division and Western Conference overall?

Zone-ball. Oh, and last I heard they had just a little bit of offensive talent.

The point is, the East is filled with physical teams that play defense. That's gonna make a lot of people's offensive #s sink. As evidence, I submit the fact that JO has better scoring games against the West than the East more often than not.