Thread: 'Cheap, toy store balls': Shaq detests NBA's new balls (ESPN.com)

Hybrid View

Post 'Cheap, toy store balls': Shaq detests NBA's new balls (ESPN.com)

Heat center Shaquille O'Neal is no fan of the new basketballs to be used by the NBA this season, and isn't afraid to say so.

More...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 'Cheap, toy store balls': Shaq detests NBA's new balls (ESPN.com)

either way he still wont make free throws

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shaq: 'Whoever [changed ball] needs to be fired'
    Associated Press

MIAMI -- Heat center Shaquille O'Neal is no fan of the new basketballs to be used by the NBA this season, and isn't afraid to say so.

"I think the new ball is terrible," O'Neal said Monday. "It's the worst decision some expert, whoever did it, made. ... The NBA's been around how long? A hundred years? Fifty years? So to change it now, whoever that person is needs his college degree revoked. It's a terrible decision."

It's only the second time in 60 seasons the NBA has changed its game balls, and the first time in 35 years.

The new model, the league said in a release, "is a microfiber composite with moisture management that provides superior grip and feel throughout the course of a game."

O'Neal, along with many of his Heat teammates, strongly disagree.

"Feels like one of those cheap balls that you buy at the toy store, indoor-outdoor balls," O'Neal said. "I look for shooting percentages to be way down and turnovers to be way up, because when the ball gets wet you can't really control it. Whoever did that needs to be fired. It was terrible, a terrible decision. Awful. I might get fined for saying that, but so what?"

Other factors cited by the league in changing the ball is so that ones used in games will be uniform throughout the league, and that the leather models needed a breaking-in period that won't be necessary with the composite.

"I don't like it, because it's different," Heat backup center Michael Doleac said. "You get used to something, you don't want to change it. ... But in three years, we'll probably all look back and not be able to imagine playing with anything else."

The new composite will be the third type of ball Heat guard Dwyane Wade will use in four months.

Last season's finals were played with the traditional leather ball, then the FIBA world championships used a ball that was slightly smaller than the NBA model -- something Wade spent most of the summer getting familiar with.

"Now I've got to make another adjustment with a ball that I haven't shot with at all and it's going to be a challenge," Wade said. "That means it's going to take a lot of late nights for me, I'll tell you that, to get really adjusted to the ball because I have no choice."

Wade said the biggest complaint players have with the new ball is the slippage factor, as in how much grip will be lost when players' hands sweat and that moisture gets on the ball.

"Hopefully over time, you'll hear nothing about it and we'll all stop complaining," Wade said. "But I think rebounds are going to go up this year. All around the league, I think there's going to be a lot of bricks thrown up there early on."

-----------------------------------------------

I must say, I have to agree with the Diesel here. I haven't actually used one, but, I don't like the look of it, or the simple fact that they changed it.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

"I don't like it, because it's different," Heat backup center Michael Doleac said. "You get used to something, you don't want to change it. ... But in three years, we'll probably all look back and not be able to imagine playing with anything else."

Doleac should pray he'll still be in the league three years from now to imagine anything along those lines

Wait a minute....FIBA uses a smaller ball? Really?

They make it sound like it's a pretty small difference, but, Wow....I didn't know that at all. How come no one ever mentions that when they talk about Team USA's poor shooting? Closer line and smaller ball would obviously have a pretty big effect.

Weird.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait a minute....FIBA uses a smaller ball? Really?

They make it sound like it's a pretty small difference, but, Wow....I didn't know that at all. How come no one ever mentions that when they talk about Team USA's poor shooting? Closer line and smaller ball would obviously have a pretty big effect.

Weird.
    Not really, certainly not for pro's. We used to shoot around with the girl's balls in high school and it didn't take 10 shots to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    Not really, certainly not for pro's. We used to shoot around with the girl's balls in high school and it didn't take 10 shots to adjust.
    Always took me a while.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

They started selling the new ball at the beginning of the summer. Did Shaq not try a free throw in the past 3 months? Or was he practicing with a ball that he knew would never again be used in a game?

Either way, he's the moron here.

EDIT: That's not to say I agree with the NBA decision... I just think the time to whine was 3 months ago.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    EDIT: That's not to say I agree with the NBA decision... I just think the time to whine was 3 months ago.
    People have been complaining before now. I know Ben Gordon doesn't like the new ball.

Doesn't matter when people complained. The league wasn't going to change its mind anyway.

I think it would take awhile to adjust to a smaller ball. I was really supprised when I read that.

I have to say, the maturity in this thread is more than I expected.

I've got like 4 jokes ready to fly, and that was before we got into the "small balls" conversation.

I'm a depraved person.

Mood

I've got like 4 jokes ready to fly, and that was before we got into the "small balls" conversation.

I'm a depraved person.
    I had one, but let's just say, I'm a bigger man that that.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

streets ahead

i don't know if this has been mentioned on the forum yet but Steve Kerr, Reggie Miller and Mark Jackson approve of the new ball.

What do you think of the new basketball coming out? It appears to have gold on it. How does it feel in your hand?
    Eddie

Eddie, when the league designed the new ball last year, I was invited along with Reggie Miller and Mark Jackson to shoot around and dribble with it at Madison Square Garden. All three of us really liked the ball. It's a new design and it is made of composite leather rather than true leather. The result is a much more consistent feel to each ball. The old NBA ball was subject to a lot of variances because the leather was a little different on each one. Some balls broke in well, and others didn't. Some were a little lopsided. All of them took a week or so to get a feel for. The new ball is ready to play with right away because it has a broken-in feel to it. It is also more durable. In short, I think the ball will be great for the league and it's going to be a good seller in sporting goods stores, too unlike the old ball.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I had one, but let's just say, I'm a bigger man that that.

This board is WAAAAy too serious

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7 View Post
    This board is WAAAAy too serious
    I was wondering if anyone would pick that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Shaq sweats A LOT
    He's really not going to like playing with sweaty balls.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I was wondering if anyone would pick that up.

He's really not going to like playing with sweaty balls.

oh, slip!
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

I'm a depraved person.
    "Wade said the biggest complaint players have with the new ball is the slippage factor, as in how much grip will be lost when players' hands sweat and that moisture gets on the ball."

Too easy.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe his argument would be legit if he actually shot the ball as opposed to heaving it at the basket...

Shaq sweats A LOT.

woman without a team

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2617527

PARIS -- David Stern has flown across the Atlantic on an NBA Europe Live tour that will have taken him to five countries by the middle of next week, but the league's commissioner has been unable to escape the raging controversy about the new basketball introduced this season.

Speaking to reporters in Paris before Sunday's exhibition game between the San Antonio Spurs and Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Stern conceded for the first time that reverting to the old leather ball is a possibility if the rigorous testing he has just ordered validates the widespread complaints about the ball -- particularly its tendency to become slippery when wet.

"We have sent out the most stringent testing crew to see what there is to the issue," Stern said when asked if returning to leather was under consideration.

"Right now our plans are to stay the course, but we will monitor it and if we find there is something to it and it is a serious issue, we will take the appropriate steps because the most important thing to us is the game.

"We have gone out and done tests. We have wet both balls. When the [old] leather ball is wet at the end of the game, it is very slippery.

"But with the new ball, all you have got to do is put in a new ball because they [Spalding's new microfiber composite balls] are all the same, all the time. One of the benefits Spalding stressed to us is that it is a better ball, it has a more modern approach to the grip that would endure.

"But the game is uppermost in our mind."

Stern went on to insist that the technology behind the new synthetic ball is sound.

"Spalding came to us and said they had a technology that will improve the ball," he said. "They said that we are the only sport, professional or college, the last sport using leather and that they had a way to improve it.

"They came to us several years ago and we said we would have to see the technology working they wanted to launch it one year ago, but we said no. We used it in the D-League, used it in the summer league, had players test it individually and, a year later, they said they had improved it even more.

"We said, 'OK, let's go.' So that's what we did."

The change from traditional leather to a synthetic ball, the first such change made by the NBA in 35 years, has been greeted with almost universal criticism by players after a week of training camp.

Complaints have centered not only upon the ball becoming slippery, but also a "sticky" texture when dry and its tendency to wear out more quickly than the old-style ball, making it likely that more than one ball will have to be used in many games.