Thread: Pacers Projected 2006-07 Depth Chart (Pacers.com)

Default Pacers Projected 2006-07 Depth Chart (Pacers.com)

The Pacers have an unofficial Depth Chart on Pacers.com I found interesting. I would copy it but it's all pictures.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/depth_chart.html

woman without a team

Default Re: Pacers Projected 2006-07 Depth Chart (Pacers.com)

John Edwards can only play one spot. I guess they can't all be Al Harrington.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

PG............ Tinsley, ............._Saras, .........._Armstrong, ................_Orien Snap Quis
    SG............ SJax2, .............._Quis, ............_Flight, ......................._Rawle, Saras, Snap
    SF............ Danny ..............._Al ................_Quis .................._Shawne, Flight, Rawle
    PF............ JO, ..................._Al ................_Maceo ....................._Shawne, Powell
    C ............. Al, ...................._Foster .........._Hulk ......................._Edwards Maceo

Looks like alot of PT for Al and Marquis; Al at center though? Surprised Hulk is so far down on depth chart; Looks like alot of exiting players backing up Jackson, so he better watch it.

This depth chart does not bode well for Snap, Powell, or Edwards IMO. Its unfortunate, I would love to see Snap make it, and I would like to see Powell make just for his bulk and 6 fouls if anything else

Al at Center?
    Finally an end to the Shaq era.

Holy cow!

woman without a team

Al against

[giggle, giggle, snort, snort]

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Al is going to play 60+ minutes every game! Holy crap! Starting at center? I really don't like that they have Al down as backup 3 and 4, with Jeff backing up at 5 when Hulk is pushed to third string. How long will it take to realize that Jeff should play at 4? Certainly an interesting idea of how it's going to work...
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Man, we run 28 deep, that's awesome.

Please training camp start and move most of this speculation out of here.

Baston ahead of Williams? I know Shawne is raw and has lots of maturing (on-court) to do, but what has Baston proven either, other than seeing his Euro stats starting to slip the last few years. I want the guy to do well, but he didn't pull it off in Toronto and he's getting past his prime.

Sports Logo

If we are truly going to be a team of matchups......how many teams are out there where we will run with a lineup where Harrington starts at Center?

I guess there are at least 2 where he won't start at the Center spot.....the Rockets and Heat.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we are truly going to be a team of matchups......how many teams are out there where we will run with a lineup where Harrington starts at Center?

I guess there are at least 2 where he won't start at the Center spot.....the Rockets and Heat.
    I like the talent level of our first string. I just think the rockets and heat are not the only teams that will push that group around and get them in foul trouble. We will see soon enough...

How does JO not get at least a mention as a projected Center? Do we need to throw away our projected lineups we've talked about ever since mention of Al coming back to Pacerland?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Pacers Need A Better GM. !Pacers-Fan!'s Avatar

Jermaine Should be the Center.

The bigger question is.... does it matter whether JO or Al is announced as the center? Does it change anything in the way the team will approach the game or the players' actual roles?

I doubt it...

Either version allows Granger to start where he needs to be (SF).

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I really dont get how this dude Baston is going to play the 4, he is 215 fing pounds, he is going to get ate alive in the post.

Leisure Suit Larry

Notice the "unofficial" part...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    I really dont get how this dude Baston is going to play the 4, he is 215 fing pounds, he is going to get ate alive in the post.
    Don;t worry - he should never step foot on the court except an hour before and after the game.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

On the topic of Harrington being announced at center and JO at power forward......

You guys realize that this makes absolutely no difference at all in how they will be used, correct? JO will still play the low block primarily on offense, and he will still guard the oppenents biggest guy. For some reason, he must just have some mental block about being called a "center", so this is the Pacers way of making him feel better about it. Its meaningless in reality, but if it helps his viewpoint and attitude, so be it.

It does remind me of a story though from Coach Knight on this topic. He was telling a group of us high school coaching types about how Alan Henderson, and especially his mother, absolutely did not want Henderson to play "center".....that when being recruited Hendersons mother made Knight promise not to play her son as a "5" man.

So, Coach Knights solution was to play Henderson anywhere he wanted to and was needed of course, for the good of the team. However, because Henderson and his Mom seemed to have this same mental block JO has, he made sure in interviews, print articles, and even in the IU programs and box scores Henderson was always listed as a "forward", even though he played almost extensively with his back to the basket and as the biggest Hoosier on the floor. When Knight started the game with Henderson as his biggest player at the outset, he usually listed the starting lineup as having 3 "guards" and 2 "forwards", thereby catering to Alan and his Mom in Indianapolis.

The point of the discussion was, play guys how and where you want to, but sometimes you have to handle players differently and in creative ways to get the most out of them. We can call JO a guard and call Tinsley the "center" for all I care.....it doesnt mean anything at all.

Having said that, if we do start the projected Tinsley/Jackson/Granger/Al/JO lineup, but instead announced it as 3 guards and 2 forwards instead of the more traditional style, Im sure there would be some outraged fans criticizing Rick for playing Granger out of position, not having a center, blah blah blah, even though it essentially would be meaningless drivel mostly.

If I were in charge, Id probably do it that way if for no other reason than just to stir up some people and get a reaction, but Im a trouble maker that way lol.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post

If I were in charge, Id probably do it that way if for no other reason than just to stir up some people and get a reaction, but Im a trouble maker that way lol.

JMO
    (Grinning) If you had been there the last two years you would probably want to shy away from trouble for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    Don't think so, he probably will be the starting PF after the AllStar break (with JO down after another freak injury).

Baston will form a formidable duo with Sarunas, and will swallow every opponent with their fastbreaks!

Watch out for some thunderous dunks by Maceo!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    Don't think so, he probably will be the starting PF after the AllStar break (with JO down after another freak injury).

Baston will form a formidable duo with Sarunas, and will swallow every opponent with their fastbreaks!

Watch out for some thunderous dunks by Maceo!!!
    Are Harrison, Foster, Hulk, and Williams all gonna be injured too???
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    On the topic of Harrington being announced at center and JO at power forward......

You guys realize that this makes absolutely no difference at all in how they will be used, correct?
    I have always agreed it does not matter what the labels are....and those 3 players are probably my favorite on the team. My problem is that I don't think a JO/Al combination can handle physical NBA centers.

This is not limited to behemoths like Shaq and Yao. There are other centers in the league that simply push JO around...or get the best of him more often than not. Maybe they are bigger. Maybe it is a matter of toughness, I don't know. These other centers do not need to put up big numbers on offense to create problems. Simply put, JO is less effective when being man handled. He gets in foul trouble and gets frustrated. Al is undersized at PF and I doubt that is going to help. Whether Al is listed at C or PF, he cannot guard the biggest player on the other team. For goodness sakes, even Atlanta had Pachulia to contend with bigger more physical players.

Now, for probably half the teams in this league, their size is a non-issue. The problem is the other half. I think RC will be forced to throw in Foster or DH to contend with some centers because it will become apparent that our undersized front line is having problems. At minimum, this will hurt the continuity of our rotations...which IMO is a very bad thing.

This experiment will probably end with DG being 6th man.

They should have said
    C: Tinsley
    PF: Jackson
    SF: Jermaine
    SG: Harrington
    PG: Granger

just to mess with y'all.

Do you think the opposing team spends one second of time looking where the starters are LISTED?

It just doesn't matter. It's a charade.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    How does JO not get at least a mention as a projected Center? Do we need to throw away our projected lineups we've talked about ever since mention of Al coming back to Pacerland?

-Bball
    I think the idea here is actually we have 2 strong power forwards (no declared center) with the up-tempo style offense. When we play Houston, Miami or San Antonio, we probably start Foster and sit Granger