Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60

Thread: RC signs contract extension

  1. #26
    Member NorCal_Pacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,919

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    First of all, this is good because Rick won't be a lame duck this year. Second, he's Larry's buddy, and it seems to me that as DW prepares to step back, Rick will step up and eventually someone else will coach. Rick and Larry will still be there at the top. Rick is a solid, intelligent and all around good guy. This is the way it works, guys bond and they move up and on with their career. Let's give Rick another year with this new team and approach, and see what happens. The players have to play and hold up their end of the deal, so it's not all on Carlisle to turn this ship around.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

  2. #27
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is NBA's version of the prevent defense
    Forget that, what I want to know is how a big fan like Jermaniac missed the 40 games where the Pacers fell apart in the 2nd or 3rd. Did he forget the home opener last year for example, where they felll completely apart in the late 2nd and early 3rd before staging a near comeback down the stretch.

    Was that the reverse prevent?



    If you think that a coach who put a roster missing that many players into the playoffs and who gave the Pacers their best regular season EVER is not a good coach, then sure you don't want him resigned. Me, I'd like to see another 60 win season rather than Larry Brown's missing the playoffs entirely with 1/4th the problems Rick has had to deal with the last 2 years.

    I'm not sure I totally buy Rick going into the front office just yet. Heck, it could be an increase in his total power rather than a stepping stone. He's way too young to just leave coaching IMO, at least based on the success and apparent drive to do it that he has shown.

    I wonder if Larry is thinking of moving out, or perhaps it's just that Rick will be "helping" Larry after DW steps out.


    At the very least it would seem to be a sign to the players that Rick is here to stay and they can either buy into that or leave. That's a good direction to take things IMO.


    Players that suck but are the coaches *****es.
    And how long did Curry last when he was brought in? Let me guess, Haslip is a coach's ***** too? The place was a freaking meltdown and needed some maturity to stabalize the situation. I realize that YOU thought Gill was that leader or that James Jones was loaded with vet saavy, but to me it seemed like Rick wanted a voice on the court to counter the deer-in-headlights effect that I saw from everyone but Fred Jones the night after the brawl.

    Dude played EIGHT games of 15 minutes or more for the Pacers and was on the roster only in DEC and JAN. Ron Artest played MORE MINUTES than Curry did for the 04-05 team. He's a union rep and someone Rick was familiar with. In fact there was some speculation that as a union rep he was brought in to help the Pacers cause in dealing with Stern over the Artest situation.


    People pick pet causes and then champion them without regard to facts. Name the young player who didn't get 1500 minutes under Rick that you think should have...besides Prince. And once he did play Tay and saw the results he stuck with him the rest of those playoffs, including starting the ROOKIE in 3 of the 4 ECF games (which they were swept in, so it wasn't just as simple as playing Tay).

    I'm not sure what logic proves a coach doesn't like to play young players when he starts a rookie in the ECFs, and not due to injury. He put his ***** Curry on the bench to get Prince the bigger minutes and eventually the start.


    I don't get worked up because I want to defend Rick in this matter, I get worked up when people state "factual opinions", views that they feel are so obvious that everyone agrees, but which aren't really backed by any facts, and are actually contradicted by the facts even.


    Rick likes to call the plays, Rick likes a conservative "protect the possession" offense, those are complaints that are at least factually valid to make. I won't agree that it's a bad thing, but at least it exists.

    Rick won't play young players doesn't exist. Maybe the brawl is part of that, but Rick played Tay in the ECF and he played BENDER in the ECF and he played sophmore Fred Jones in the ECF; none were required by injury/roster issues. And again even if the brawl/injuries forced Rick to go to young guys it still doesn't change the fact that there are no seasons where Rick didn't play young players (other than Prince).

  3. #28
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,010
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Forget that, what I want to know is how a big fan like Jermaniac missed the 40 games where the Pacers fell apart in the 2nd or 3rd. Did he forget the home opener last year for example, where they felll completely apart in the late 2nd and early 3rd before staging a near comeback down the stretch.

    Was that the reverse prevent?



    If you think that a coach who put a roster missing that many players into the playoffs and who gave the Pacers their best regular season EVER is not a good coach, then sure you don't want him resigned. Me, I'd like to see another 60 win season rather than Larry Brown's missing the playoffs entirely with 1/4th the problems Rick has had to deal with the last 2 years.

    I'm not sure I totally buy Rick going into the front office just yet. Heck, it could be an increase in his total power rather than a stepping stone. He's way too young to just leave coaching IMO, at least based on the success and apparent drive to do it that he has shown.

    I wonder if Larry is thinking of moving out, or perhaps it's just that Rick will be "helping" Larry after DW steps out.


    At the very least it would seem to be a sign to the players that Rick is here to stay and they can either buy into that or leave. That's a good direction to take things IMO.



    And how long did Curry last when he was brought in? Let me guess, Haslip is a coach's ***** too? The place was a freaking meltdown and needed some maturity to stabalize the situation. I realize that YOU thought Gill was that leader or that James Jones was loaded with vet saavy, but to me it seemed like Rick wanted a voice on the court to counter the deer-in-headlights effect that I saw from everyone but Fred Jones the night after the brawl.

    Dude played EIGHT games of 15 minutes or more for the Pacers and was on the roster only in DEC and JAN. Ron Artest played MORE MINUTES than Curry did for the 04-05 team. He's a union rep and someone Rick was familiar with. In fact there was some speculation that as a union rep he was brought in to help the Pacers cause in dealing with Stern over the Artest situation.


    People pick pet causes and then champion them without regard to facts. Name the young player who didn't get 1500 minutes under Rick that you think should have...besides Prince. And once he did play Tay and saw the results he stuck with him the rest of those playoffs, including starting the ROOKIE in 3 of the 4 ECF games (which they were swept in, so it wasn't just as simple as playing Tay).

    I'm not sure what logic proves a coach doesn't like to play young players when he starts a rookie in the ECFs, and not due to injury. He put his ***** Curry on the bench to get Prince the bigger minutes and eventually the start.


    I don't get worked up because I want to defend Rick in this matter, I get worked up when people state "factual opinions", views that they feel are so obvious that everyone agrees, but which aren't really backed by any facts, and are actually contradicted by the facts even.


    Rick likes to call the plays, Rick likes a conservative "protect the possession" offense, those are complaints that are at least factually valid to make. I won't agree that it's a bad thing, but at least it exists.

    Rick won't play young players doesn't exist. Maybe the brawl is part of that, but Rick played Tay in the ECF and he played BENDER in the ECF and he played sophmore Fred Jones in the ECF; none were required by injury/roster issues. And again even if the brawl/injuries forced Rick to go to young guys it still doesn't change the fact that there are no seasons where Rick didn't play young players (other than Prince).
    Very good post.

    RC getting the extension is the best move available. He's one of the better coaches in the league, and there was certainly no better waiting for our call. The signing now prevents the "lame duck" issue. Finally, getting the fancy title for "Larry's understudy" is probably a way to get RC into the office at some point. I don't think it necessarily points to Armstrong moving into coaching right away, or any other immediate action. I believe LB and DW want RC to coach for this whole contract, with some stability in the team, then they'll see where to go at the end of this one.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  4. #29
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,493

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Maybe the new title is an 'escape clause' so that if things go south on the court Rick doesn't have to be 'fired' per se' (in the public's eye). He just steps aside for 'personal reasons' and assumes the sole duties of his new title instead of 'working both roles'.

    -Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  5. #30
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    4,994

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    I'm so glad this was handled before the start of training camp, let alone the start of the season. We need as few distractions as we can get.

    I like the angle that RC's new title adds to his authority. I don't know what he has to offer other than a very good basketball mind. Maybe we'll see.

  6. #31
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,735

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    The distraction we needed to be rid of was Rick as the coach. I knew he would get an extension but its still disappointing non the less.

  7. #32
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe the new title is an 'escape clause' so that if things go south on the court Rick doesn't have to be 'fired' per se' (in the public's eye). He just steps aside for 'personal reasons' and assumes the sole duties of his new title instead of 'working both roles'.

    -Bball
    Let's just hope he's into this new role by, say, December 15.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  8. #33
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    FYI..
    I had emailed him for more info, and it appears this report was erroneous per Bruno.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Mailbag, Bruno's [mailto:Bruno's_Mailbag@PACERS.com]
    Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 8:55 AM
    To: Andrew

    Subject: RE: Why was Carlisle given a new title ?

    Andrew -

    This release was an erroneous posting and was removed. Please disregard
    what you read. I apologize for the confusion. It was my mistake.
    - Conrad

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Andrew [mailto:XXX@XXX.com]
    Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:46 PM
    To: Mailbag, Bruno's
    Subject: Why was Carlisle given a new title ?


    Bruno in addition to Carlisle's anticipated extension, I was a
    little surprised to hear he was also given the title Executive Vice
    President of Basketball Operations.

    What does this position entail?

    While the length of the contract was not released, can we assume
    that this indicates he will be moving to the front office sooner, rather
    than later ?

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    Why Not Us ?


  9. #34
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    So he's written the article, but they haven't actually agreed to terms yet?

    Maybe somebody received a visit from the ghost of Christmas future?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  10. #35
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Although, I just clicked on the original link (above) and its still valid.

    So he didn't take down the article, just the link. Odd.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #36
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    And The Star and AP have still not run articles about the hypothetical extension and new title.

    I can still have hope this unravels, can't I?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  12. #37
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,720

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Forget that, what I want to know is how a big fan like Jermaniac missed the 40 games where the Pacers fell apart in the 2nd or 3rd. Did he forget the home opener last year for example, where they felll completely apart in the late 2nd and early 3rd before staging a near comeback down the stretch.

    Was that the reverse prevent?



    If you think that a coach who put a roster missing that many players into the playoffs and who gave the Pacers their best regular season EVER is not a good coach, then sure you don't want him resigned. Me, I'd like to see another 60 win season rather than Larry Brown's missing the playoffs entirely with 1/4th the problems Rick has had to deal with the last 2 years.

    I'm not sure I totally buy Rick going into the front office just yet. Heck, it could be an increase in his total power rather than a stepping stone. He's way too young to just leave coaching IMO, at least based on the success and apparent drive to do it that he has shown.

    I wonder if Larry is thinking of moving out, or perhaps it's just that Rick will be "helping" Larry after DW steps out.


    At the very least it would seem to be a sign to the players that Rick is here to stay and they can either buy into that or leave. That's a good direction to take things IMO.



    And how long did Curry last when he was brought in? Let me guess, Haslip is a coach's ***** too? The place was a freaking meltdown and needed some maturity to stabalize the situation. I realize that YOU thought Gill was that leader or that James Jones was loaded with vet saavy, but to me it seemed like Rick wanted a voice on the court to counter the deer-in-headlights effect that I saw from everyone but Fred Jones the night after the brawl.

    Dude played EIGHT games of 15 minutes or more for the Pacers and was on the roster only in DEC and JAN. Ron Artest played MORE MINUTES than Curry did for the 04-05 team. He's a union rep and someone Rick was familiar with. In fact there was some speculation that as a union rep he was brought in to help the Pacers cause in dealing with Stern over the Artest situation.


    People pick pet causes and then champion them without regard to facts. Name the young player who didn't get 1500 minutes under Rick that you think should have...besides Prince. And once he did play Tay and saw the results he stuck with him the rest of those playoffs, including starting the ROOKIE in 3 of the 4 ECF games (which they were swept in, so it wasn't just as simple as playing Tay).

    I'm not sure what logic proves a coach doesn't like to play young players when he starts a rookie in the ECFs, and not due to injury. He put his ***** Curry on the bench to get Prince the bigger minutes and eventually the start.


    I don't get worked up because I want to defend Rick in this matter, I get worked up when people state "factual opinions", views that they feel are so obvious that everyone agrees, but which aren't really backed by any facts, and are actually contradicted by the facts even.


    Rick likes to call the plays, Rick likes a conservative "protect the possession" offense, those are complaints that are at least factually valid to make. I won't agree that it's a bad thing, but at least it exists.

    Rick won't play young players doesn't exist. Maybe the brawl is part of that, but Rick played Tay in the ECF and he played BENDER in the ECF and he played sophmore Fred Jones in the ECF; none were required by injury/roster issues. And again even if the brawl/injuries forced Rick to go to young guys it still doesn't change the fact that there are no seasons where Rick didn't play young players (other than Prince).
    The only thing I know about Curry and Rick Carlisle that made me realize how much loves this dude, is when our so called big signing of the summer Stephen Jackson was coming back from suspension and Rick actually thought about starting Curry over him. THINKING about starting a player like Curry over Jack is crazy enough for me.

    And the way I heard it was HE WAS FORCED to start Tayshaun over Curry in the playoffs.

  13. #38
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,927

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although, I just clicked on the original link (above) and its still valid.

    So he didn't take down the article, just the link. Odd.
    Remember he's not the webmaster, NBA.com does everything. He probably told them to take it down and they just removed the link instead of the page.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And The Star and AP have still not run articles about the hypothetical extension and new title.

    I can still have hope this unravels, can't I?
    Yes, because nothing ever happens until The Star reports it.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  14. #39
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    THINKING about starting a player like Curry over Jack is crazy enough for me.
    That sounds sane to me. There's days I think about starting the sign guy over Jack.

    :-)
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  15. #40
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,720

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    The sign guy is better at basketball then Curry.

  16. #41
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The sign guy is better at basketball then Curry.
    On that we agree.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  17. #42
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,493

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And The Star and AP have still not run articles about the hypothetical extension and new title.

    I can still have hope this unravels, can't I?
    Herb Simon (coffee spraying the front of his computer monitor): "What's this.... Carlisle is getting a new title??? Who the hell's idea was THIS??? How many people do we need in charge of basketball operations? Somebody get Donnie on the phone...NOW!"

    Secretary: "What about Larry?"

    Herb: "Larry who?"

    Secretary: "Larry Bird"

    Herb: "Why?"

    Secretary: "Doesn't he have some say in all this?"

    Herb (laughing): "That's a good one! You almost had me there."

    Secretary: "I try, sir. Donnie is on the line"

    Donnie: "What is it, Herb?"

    Herb: "Who's idea was it to give Carlisle a friggin' title, let alone an extension?!"

    Donnie Walsh: "Well, I just thought...."

    Herb: "Thought??? No you didn't! You didn't think! Just like with Al Harrington you're off spending money and years you don't need to spend. Let's reel this thing in. Hasn't the Bender fiasco taught you anything?"

    Donnie: "I do apologize for that.... I just...."

    Herb: "Enough! Get Bruno on the horn and make this go away! And get Larry a couple more weeks overseas for 'scouting'"

    Donnie (laughing): "Scouting! Ha Ha... right... Gotcha. Sorry, about this screw up with the contract thing. It won't happen again"

    Herb: "That's what you said after the Al Harrington thing. Just go spin the press and let us run the show now"

    Secretary: "Herb, Larry Bird's on the phone. He says he's found a great center in Baklistan. What do you want me to tell him?"

    Herb: "Tell him I'm not here and make sure you remind him that we need him to hold a party for the VIPs and to get those 8x10's autographed before the season opener!!!"



    -Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  18. #43
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Did anyone catch the 10' oclock news. (UPN) Wish TV
    Mentioning that Carlisle asked the players if they wanted him back as coach, apparently.

    O'Neal commented on how good Rick did in the offseason in reaching out to the players. Carlisle indicated that he wanted to be perfectly clear that this is a partnership, and goes beyond a player coach relationship

    Why Not Us ?


  19. #44
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    That's interesting.

  20. #45

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Rick's one of the best coaches in the NBA. I absolutely hate the slow halfcourt set that the Pacers have used the past few years, but it has gotten them to the playoffs despite a plethora of obstacles. I suppose you wanted him to run a fast paced offense with Anthony Johnson, Jeff Foster, Stephen Jackson and the SF (backup/Peja)?

    He's got the chips to work with now, finally.

    Extending his contract now was the best move the Pacers could have done.

  21. #46
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did anyone catch the 10' oclock news. (UPN) Wish TV
    Mentioning that Carlisle asked the players if they wanted him back as coach, apparently.

    O'Neal commented on how good Rick did in the offseason in reaching out to the players. Carlisle indicated that he wanted to be perfectly clear that this is a partnership, and goes beyond a player coach relationship
    To me that is very much in keeping with how Rick presents himself.

    He is far more protective of players in post-games than most coaches. He's ripped guys from time to time, but he's also very quick to come back with praise when its earned.

    He was very calm after the brawl, moreso than anyone else that I recall. He gave huge public support to Ron during his DPOY season. It's not that I think he is a players-coach in the "no discipline" sense, but I think he is old school in the "keep it in the lockerroom" sense. He is respectful about how he deals with players, at least externally.


    Also on that story, I guess Jack came into Rick's presser and hung out a little bit, showing his support for the coach. Of course it would be far bigger news if it had been Tinsley, but still it is something.

  22. #47
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    THINKING about starting a player like Curry over Jack is crazy enough for me.
    You mean like starting Foster "over" Harrington but then letting Al get 30 minutes to Jeff's 15?

    And the way I heard it was HE WAS FORCED to start Tayshaun over Curry in the playoffs.
    Like I said, Tay was the starter in THREE of the FOUR ECF losses in year 2 for Rick, so even if he was forced to do it, what's that say about the choice? It wasn't the solution. And the proof was in the results the next year until they got Sheed added on for free. Prior to that the Pistons were on their way to being beaten out by the Pacers, and as it was dumping Rick cost them home court in the ECF (rival Pacers jumped 13 wins with Rick).

    How did that Pistons team do in round 2 with Curry starting but Tay getting more minutes down the stretch? They sure as F didn't get swept out like they did in the next round with Tay moved into the starters role.

    I don't even blame Tay or say it was a bad move, just that as a damning sign of RC's refusal to play young players it's pretty weak.

    The reality is that winning teams with established vets rarely play mid to late round rookies. It's not the norm where RC refuses to conform. Fred got 3 times the minutes under RC in year 2 than he got under "player friendly" Isiah in his rookie year. That was the 61 win team, not one dealing with injuries or lacking in talent.

    RC ran a deeper bench both years in Detroit and in Indy in 03-04 than Brown did in either year in Detroit (more minutes past the starting 5 or even the top 6). And in Tay's rookie season RC played his 23 year old rookie 19 mpg in 72 games....OKUR. Whoops, I thought RC refused to play young guys/rookies.

    I know, it was the lack of bigs like Robinson, Big Ben and Corliss...err...oh, and Rebraca. Speaking of Rebraca, he was older (29) but his rookie year was RC's first season - 16 mpg and 72 games for him that year. That's more minutes than he's seen in any season since.

  23. #48
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Naptown, I'm fine with your overall statement but I've just got to comment on a couple of things since you've ventured over into Pistons-land in this last post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said, Tay was the starter in THREE of the FOUR ECF losses in year 2 for Rick, so even if he was forced to do it, what's that say about the choice? It wasn't the solution. And the proof was in the results the next year until they got Sheed added on for free. Prior to that the Pistons were on their way to being beaten out by the Pacers, and as it was dumping Rick cost them home court in the ECF (rival Pacers jumped 13 wins with Rick).
    It doesn't seem funny to you to try saying something like "dumping Rick cost them home court in the ECF (rival Pacers jumped 13 wins with Rick)" when the Pistons beat that juggernaught of a Rick Carlisle team on the way to their championship? I know, it was all Rasheed and Rick would have gotten them the same title and maybe 2 or 3 more had they kept him.

    The whole "it wasn't the solution" comment will be addressed after the next quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How did that Pistons team do in round 2 with Curry starting but Tay getting more minutes down the stretch? They sure as F didn't get swept out like they did in the next round with Tay moved into the starters role.
    You are comparing round 2 with round 3 as though they are the same situations and implying that Curry starting was the main factor (or even the only factor) of why the Pistons did better in round 2 then they did in round 3?

    Curry never had more than 4 points in ANY of those round 2 games and his biggest statistical contribution outside of points would be the 2 defensive rebounds he wasn't able to dive out of the way from, in one of the games that round. Curry starting is not what got them past the Sixer. This is what got them past the Sixers.

    That, coupled with Curry's typical high-caliber ability to always avoid the ball is what got Curry 2 DNPs against the Nets the next round (even with Tayshaun getting owned by Richard Jefferson, a trend that would continue beyond that playoff round). No, Tayshaun wasn't the answer to a how the Pistons would get to the Finals (the kid was a rookie), but he was the answer to "Are the Pistons really going to get ran out of the playoffs in the first round by a one man, eight seed, Magic team?" and the question of "Where is the swing man that can take advantage of slow footed Keith Van Horn and too-small-to-guard-a-forward Aaron McKie in the Sixers series?"


    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't even blame Tay or say it was a bad move, just that as a damning sign of RC's refusal to play young players it's pretty weak.
    He was "forced" to play Prince and it's not "pretty weak". Its maybe the main reason RC lost his job even though he won a ton of regular season games. Regardless of how Carlisle coaches now, THEN he was an unadapting, single-minded, control freak, who had to be taken to the very edge of elimination before he'd try anything he didn't already have complete comfort with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The reality is that winning teams with established vets rarely play mid to late round rookies. It's not the norm where RC refuses to conform. Fred got 3 times the minutes under RC in year 2 than he got under "player friendly" Isiah in his rookie year. That was the 61 win team, not one dealing with injuries or lacking in talent.

    RC ran a deeper bench both years in Detroit and in Indy in 03-04 than Brown did in either year in Detroit (more minutes past the starting 5 or even the top 6). And in Tay's rookie season RC played his 23 year old rookie 19 mpg in 72 games....OKUR. Whoops, I thought RC refused to play young guys/rookies.

    I know, it was the lack of bigs like Robinson, Big Ben and Corliss...err...oh, and Rebraca. Speaking of Rebraca, he was older (29) but his rookie year was RC's first season - 16 mpg and 72 games for him that year. That's more minutes than he's seen in any season since.
    The rest I have little to no problem with (aside from the fact that you throw out Detroit's big man rotation that year as though it were Wallace/Wallace/McDyess when in fact it was Ben, a guy hanging on to the last years of his declining abilities, and an undersized-PF/slow-footed SF who was an able scorer but easily exploited defensively, so playing the rookies was pretty much a necessity rather than the luxury you make it out to be).

    Like I said at the start, I've no problem with the overall point of "RC does play rookies" (he played Granger, didn't he?) but no one should ever try to defend Rick's affinity for Michael Curry nor his tight-fisted refusal to try Tayshaun until he was utterly devoid of other options, let alone attempt both things at once.

  24. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    231

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Hi

    Question: If Donnie Walsh retires and Larry Bird assume his role What is David Morway role?

    Pacers should not let go David Morway. I think he is the one responsible of the New Orleans trade that got us the excemption......(I know the Simons is also responsible because of the Friendship with George Shinn.

  25. #50
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: RC signs contract extension

    Excellent point. If I had to pick Donnie's successor from people currently employed by the organization, I'd rank them as:

    1) Morway
    2) Chuck Person
    3) Carlisle
    4) Krista, my account rep
    5) Larry Bird
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •