Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help spread the word

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Please help spread the word

First, I know this isn't the right place for this thread but I wasn't sure where to put it. I figured Hicks or one of the other kind mods will move it to its proper spot. It's something that's important enough, however, that I was willing to break the forum rules to get the information out there.

A lot of you know me. I'm a moderator at Kingsfans.com We have a member who is asking for prayers for her son, a recent returning veteran from Iraq who is going through a difficult medical time right now.

Here's a link to her thread:

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15011

Basically, her son Matt is suffering from a very aggressive form of leukemia, AML, which his doctors say was caused by radiation exposure. In addition, he is now suffering from chromosome aberrations.

I'm not asking for money or donations or anything else. Prayers would be appreciated, of course, but the reason I'm posting this is to help her get the word out so other veterans can be tested.

She's started a website at www.Iraqradiation.com to provide information. I know this lady. This isn't some kind of Internet rumor or fake story. It's the truth.

Thanks all for taking the time to read this.

VF21
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Please help spread the word

I have a close freind who comes home October 5th from basic training in Fort Knox, Ky and he leaves for Iraq sometime before Halloween.I'll go to that site to see if there is anything I can do and my prayers will definitley be with Matt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thank you. It's really appreciated.

Having lived through the Vietnam era and seen the vets come back and suffer through decades of medical problems the government simply tried to ignore, I hope the word gets out and any of our men and women who might have been exposed to radiation while serving our country in Iraq get the testing and any possible treatment they need.

Treewoman

Thank you so much for putting this info out there.
    My name is Laura and Matt, my step son, returned from the Army about a year and a half ago. Matt is a big healthy guy and returned ready to expand his family and start a career in law enforcement. On August 1st (this year) Matt was rushed to the emergency room with a ruptured apendix, almost immediately doctors told the family they were 95% sure he had Leukemia as well and that is why his appendix ruptured.

As they tested Matt the doctors found that 19 of the 20 chromosomes they tested had aberrations due to radiation exposure. They determined that the leukemia was caused by radiation exposure. Matt is now waiting to find a bone marrow match - if we don't find one he will probably not survive - and even more frightening even if he does survive the leukemia he may end up with other cancers.

Matt & his wife Lisa are also expecting their second child in November - we do not know what, if any effect this may have had on the baby.

Treewoman

So I am spending all my free time researching this and finding out as much as possible - not just for Matt but because this could affect so many other returning vets.

I have learned through the Veterans Administration that they offer a free exam to vets called the "Gulf War Exam" this is a comprehensive physical and every vet who has been in Iraq needs to get it as soon as possible.

Everyday I am learning more on this topic, and sadly everyday I am finding more stories of vets returning with serious medical issues and the chromosome abberations.

To have a place for info exchange I have started a web site at www.iraqradiation.com

Thank you for helping me pass the word. Lives may depend on it.

I'm happy I can help you in even a small way.

I'd like to hear ABA Days thoughts on this.

Treewoman

I sent him a PM with the info. I felt terrible about it. I hate being the one to let these guys know...but what I am finding is that the majority of the ones affected have no idea until they or one of their platoon mates become seriously ill.

If we could have known with Matt maybe he could have had some treatments earlier - I don't really know. I am thinking if he had known he mighted have waited to get his wife pregnant until he got a clean bill of health - we don't know if their baby will be affected or not (baby is due in November).

Interesting. Where was he stationed over here? Do they have any idea where the exposure to radiation could have come from?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Treewoman

ABADays - I am sorry I do not have a list of everywhere he was (I will get it and let you know) and no we don't know exactly how or where he was exposed to the radiation only that he was and it caused the chromosome damage.

Treewoman

Matt says he was primarily in Ballad and AlMawisl (I probably spelled those wrong). Matt's rank was Staff Sergeant, Command Section Sergeant and Striker Vehicle Commander; he was in Charley Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment.

This is terrible news... my daughter was stationed in Iraq (Bagdad area) for 2 years... I need to let her know about this...
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

i just sent an e-mail about it to my friend that is over there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just read this for the first time. Is there anymore info on Matt? It's been almost 10 months now since this was posted.

I don't think I will be exposed to this because I'm more stationary than the Army is but this is definitely an eye-opener.

I hope he's doing alright.

I would also like to know about any follow-up information being in Balad. Very interested.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm very sorry for not keeping people up to date, but I honestly forgot I had posted this here.

Unfortunately, I'm here to ask for prayers once again for Matt. Here's an email I received today from treewoman:

Dear Family & Friends,

It’s been a long time since I was in touch with many of you and I am sorry to have to do so with some sad news. Bob's son Matthew has suffered a relapse of his leukemia and is currently undergoing chemo therapy at Fort Sutter Hospital in Sacramento.

A year and a half ago when he was first diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) you were kind enough to help Matt and his family – I can not tell you how incredible and inspiring the help we received at that time was. We were overwhelmed and deeply touched. I would like to ask for you to help again, if you can, with your prayers, by donating blood, joining the bone marrow registry (if you haven't already) and possibly volunteering to help with a Blood/Bone Marrow Drive that we are hoping to hold the week of May 12th (date and location yet to be determined) probably in Roseville.

Matt is currently at Fort Sutter Hospital in Sacramento and will probably be there for a month or so. AML is a very aggressive and particularly nasty form of leukemia so his doctors are hitting him hard with chemo already and he will be needing blood transfusions throughout his treatment. Looking ahead we are hoping for a Bone Marrow match and then a transplant that would take place most likely at Stanford Hospital. Our hope is that he will be strong and well enough for the transplant as soon as possible.

A little update on Matt and the family: when we last were battling ALS he & his wife were expecting their second child. Aaron was born that October and is now a healthy, happy one and a half year old ball of fire and fun. Their oldest child Nate is now 10 and doing very, very well in school and with his Karate.

We still suspect that because Matt was in heavy combat zones in Iraq during his eight years of military service he was at some time exposed to something that caused the chromosome damage that led to his leukemia. Matt is not the only veteran suffering from chromosome damage and ensuing cancer/leukemia. One of our goals is to get the word out about this and the importance of returning vets to have the Gulf War Exam.

At this time we are asking friends and family to consider making a donation of blood and /or platlets in his name, as he has had and will continue to have transfusions. We have set up an account in his name with Blood Source - if you donate you can use his number P560 or his name "Matthew Bumpus" to find the nearest Blood Source go to http://www.smfbc.org/ The process takes about one hour of your time.

And, if you have not already, please consider signing up for the Bone Marrow Registry. It requires a quick and easy swab to your cheek and a little paperwork.

Thank you on behalf of Matt and the family for all your prayers and support. If you’d like to leave a message for Matt he is signed up with “Care Pages” – a program offered by Sutter that is a support/message system for patients and their families. Go to http://www.carepages.com and he is listed under “Matt Bumpus”. Please feel free to forward this to anyone I may have missed or who may be interested and don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions or would like to volunteer for the Blood/Bone Marrow Drive in May.

Thank you!
    Please add Matt and his family to your prayers. If you have questions for treewoman and this condition, I'm sure she'll try and find time to answer them.

Thanks again.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A bit more news about how quickly this flared up:

Once again this hit hard and heavy - this stuff is just so darn fast - two weeks ago he was fine! My poor husband - not only was he dealing with this but his father and I both ended up w/severe cases of pneumonia (it was getting passed around the family - but thank God Matt didn't get it) and Bob was looking like the walking wounded last week. Fortunately both hid Dad and I are better - so now we can focus all our attention on Matt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Matt has been receiving blood transfusions and platlets along with his chemotherapy and is getting stronger. His family wants to make sure everyone knows how much they appreciate the thoughts and prayers and are truly thankful for the number of people who have been able to donate blood in Matt's name.

Keep the prayers going, if you will please.

Thank you all.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks for the update, VF21.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

And if you can donate platelets. It takes longer but it is high rewarding.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Update: I'm sad to report that Matt died this morning at Sutter Hospital in Roseville. Over the past few weeks, his condition had drastically deteriorated and the chromosome damage apparently made it impossible for them to do a bone marrow transplant as his blood and chromosomes were altered and a match simply could not be found. (I may not have all the specifics correct...I don't understand any of it.)

I know treewoman was touched by the kind words, thoughts and prayers from you here at PD.

In the email she sent me, she had one request which I'm sharing in the hopes that maybe someone else will be spared this kind of pain:

Please remember to tell your friends about the importance of becoming a bone marrow registrant, blood donor and for all service personnel to take the Gulf War Exam - and ask them to tell their friends too.
    Thanks again. I'm sure treewoman's family can use your thoughts and prayers for a little longer as they try and find a way to go on without Matt.

I am very sad to hear about this. I checked up on this thread every now and again to see if anything new was posted.

My thoughts are with his family.

Sad day.

Sorry to hear it.

RIP.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the update.

noupsell registered to PM me this:

Quote Originally Posted by noupsell
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey I thought you might want to post this link in your Matt Bumpus VF21 memorial thread... he will not be forgotten... I'm spreading the word around the net in the hope to give life to those that still suffer by letting then know they are not alone

thanks,
    noupsell

http://digg.com/world_news/Matthew_B..._abandoned_him