Thread: Sex Offender Registry

Default Sex Offender Registry

Something that get's posted where I work every year. Kind of interesting to see who lives in the neighborhood.

http://www.insor.org/insasoweb/initA...dSearchForm.do
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Default Re: Sex Offender Registry

That is wonderful information for people who have children. In my job, I take that a step further.

We have a listing of all the places that Indiana Code says convicted sex offenders cannot reside within 1000 feet of. I take that list of addresses, buffer the parcel by 1000 feet and make those zones red on my GIS website. Our Prosecutor and Probation Department use my GIS website to see if the offenders are allowed to live where they declare their residence to be.

When the offender goes to register, they give the officer an address, they pull that address up on my GIS website and turn on the offender buffer layer. If that address is covered in a red zone, the offender cannot move there, or has to move FROM there.

I know of at least one other county that has an online GIS map service website that uses similar technology to help police sex offenders; Wells County (Bluffton). I wish more counties would do something like that because it is an invaluable tool for safeguarding the children in our community. It is very rewarding to be a part of that process....

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

For you Heywoode.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Guess I live up the street from a sex offender...

That's a pretty awesome plan Heywoode. I don't think Wayne County is like that unfortunately. It looks like a few live near schools.

Is this where I register?

But seriously folks, this ****'s got to end - What do you think are the main causes of sexual deviance? Are they individual problems or part of larger societal flaws?

Oh, and we call it Megan's Law in Jersey. Does some innocent child have to die in every state in order for a law to be put on the books!?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But seriously folks, this ****'s got to end - What do you think are the main causes of sexual deviance? Are they individual problems or part of larger societal flaws?
    Sexual deviance isn't the problem since that means anything society doesn't consider "normal."

Not sure I want to get into this - if we're talking pedophilia, I'll see if I remember what I learned once upon a time.

Categories of pedophilia:

The Child Lover He truly loves children - and not in a healthy way we'd consider but mingled in with his love is sexual desire. Usually these folks are so warped that they think having sex with a child is actually good for the child - he feels this way toward the child - surely the child feels the same toward him? And as his needs are fulfilled by being with the child, so the child's needs are fulfilled by being with him.

This type of pedophilia CAN respond to treatment. If this pedophile learns that his sexual habits actually harm children he can be filled with severe, deep-seated remorse - and can actually change his behavior. He does truly love children - but in an abnormal, unhealthy way. However he can be taught how damaging this is.

The Sociopath This is one of the very dangerous forms and does not generally respond to treatment. His or her needs are paramount and those of anyone else are secondary. He or she may be driven to alter his/her behavior through fear of being caught, but almost never from an internal moral code. It's also a short trip from this to becoming a psychopath. This is one of the types where sex and a desire to exert power over another person become intermingled.

The immatureSexually, this person never grew up, doesn't consider himself to be an adult and consideres sex with a child to be innocent play. This is another type that can respond to treatment though less effectively than the "child lover."

Sadists They can either prefer violent sex and the younger and more vulnerable the victim the better - or they like to see another person in pain and use sex to inflict that pain. Very, very dangerous and not very treatable.

Of course there are always the one-timers - someone who got drunk or was on drugs and engaged in sex with a minor.

One of the problems with sexual offenses is everyone tends to be lumped together in the judicial system. Some of these folks (there are some women but last I knew it was about 90% men) should get life sentences without the possibility of parole while others should get serious, in-depth counseling, based on a psychological examination.

I haven't had to deal with this for about 8 years so I may have forgotten some things - and of course everything I wrote is grossly oversimplified.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by lenin_fresh View Post
    Guess I live up the street from a sex offender...

That's a pretty awesome plan Heywoode. I don't think Wayne County is like that unfortunately. It looks like a few live near schools.
    The 1000 foot buffer law is statewide, so call the probation department or the sheriff's department there in Wayne County and see what they are doing about the residency restrictions for sex offenders that just changed July 1, 2006.

Even if they don't have a GIS system to conveniently measure distances, they (Wayne County and every other county in the state) just got new aerial photography that was flown in spring 2005. At the very least they should be able to look up the addresses on Google Earth, and then use free GIS viewing software (ArcExplorer is the software, and it can be found at www.esri.com) to bring up the aerial photos and measure that way....

We have made about 10 sex offenders move since the law was changed July 1.

Good luck!

hey

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post

Oh, and we call it Megan's Law in Jersey. Does some innocent child have to die in every state in order for a law to be put on the books!?

Don't get me started on society's flaws that are only going to cause greater problems as time goes forward. I try not to think about it and just focus on making my world a better place for my kids to have after I'm gone...

Megan's Law is what started it all, on a nationwide level. State's have the authority to taylor the laws to suit their particular feelings and beliefs, and in Indiana I'm not sure if the laws are tougher than the Federal ones or not. I know that July 1st it changed to include offenders who aren't currently on probation (the previous version said that only offenders of particular statutes had to comply with the residency restrictions). I think most also now have to register for life, but there may be some that only have to register for 10 years....

Some woman wrote a letter to the editor in our local paper *****ing about how unfair it was for her husband (a convicted child molester who is serving year two of a seven year sentence) that he would have to register for life when he got out and that they had limited options as to where they could live once he got out....She got torn to ribbons by other readers in the following days who wrote replies to her stupid *** letter....

I apologize in advance, but I have very little sympathy or tolerance for people who commit these crimes. When the person they violated stops having to deal with the incident, then the person who committed the crime MAY be permitted to try and live a normal life again, but until then, they can sit in a cell and contemplate. If I had my way, they would probably be doing it minus their genitalia....Again, sorry for the hard line approach, but I agree with DK's assessment. These types of individuals are rarely treated successfully. Even if they say and do all the right things, they still have the greatest risk of re-offending of any crime known to man.

That is the main reason to take the hard line. Thieves can learn not to steal, but child molesters have less ability to alter their behavior even in the face of proof that the act is WRONG.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER