Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IS: Pacers Insider 9/27

Default IS: Pacers Insider 9/27

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

Only days away

Posted by Mike Wells

The start of training camp is less than a week away and I get the sense from talking to people in the organization that theyíve got a good feeling about this group of players.

Iím going to need a roster sheet so I know who is who at Mondayís media day at Conseco Fieldhouse because of so many new faces. I realized that when I decided to pop out to the Brickyard for the organizationís Foundation Golf Outing on Tuesday.

Here are some tidbits Iíve heard over the past week or so:

--Most of the players have been working out at Conseco on a regular basis. I havenít seen any of the workouts because theyíre closed to the media. One person told me this has been one of the best offseasons for the players in recent years. Coach Rick Carlisle went down to Atlanta to see Jamaal Tinsley a couple of weeks ago. Tinsley, who spent most of the summer in Atlanta, is supposedly in great shape and has been working with a trainer. Iím sure many of you will reserve judgment on Tinsley, who has battled numerous injuries the past three seasons, until the season starts. Sarunas Jasikevicius reportedly worked out with his former European team Maccabi Tel Aviv during summer.

--Forward Jermaine OíNeal had a sensational summer. Whatís impressed many is that he spent most of the summer in Indy and he worked on his whole body rather than just his upper half with the teamís strength and conditioning coach Shawn Windle. Thereís a feeling OíNeal will be back to the form that allowed him to finish in the top three of the MVP voting several years ago.

--The final two roster spots are wide open. John Edwards, Snap Hunter, Josh Powell, Rawle Marshall and Orien Greene will be battling it out for those two spots. The Pacers have to decide what they want to do with Powell because his contract becomes guaranteed early next week.

--The starting frontcourt is far from set. Thereís been a lot of talk of Jermaine OíNeal, Danny Granger and Al Harrington being the starting frontcourt. Carlisle has several options he can use. Jeff Foster or David Harrison can start at center with OíNeal and Harrington playing the forward spots. The opposing center can also dictate who starts.

--This group of players have already started developing a strong bond. The addition of Darrell Armstrong and the maturity of Jermaine OíNeal and Al Harrington have played a part in that. Last yearís team had issues over playing time playing time (Anthony Johnson and Sarunas Jasikevicius) and contract questions (Fred Jones) before training camp even started.

Default Re: IS: Pacers Insider 9/27

The opposing center can also dictate who starts.
    Does this yell "weakness" to anyone else but me? God forbid we enforce our will and style down the opponent's throat.

I wish that they would have said more about Harrison. Although I don't know if I would say that he's ready to start.

All in all pretty encouraging article. Good to hear Tins has had yet another "great" offseason. I hope that he had surgery on his sinuses.

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

i wait till camps starts to know alot more
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does this yell "weakness" to anyone else but me? God forbid we enforce our will and style down the opponent's throat.
    I don't think so. I like the fact that we're versatile enough to play the matchup game and not lose a step.

I think the only thing that might cause the Pacers to start a bigger center is when we play Shaq, Yao, or Z. Just like last year Rick started Scot in those games, I could see the same thing happening this season. Although, we don't have Pollard, so I'm not sure who would start.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that's a valid point when your starting frontcourt is Danny-JO-David.

But if JO is your best center and your best powerforward, and you've got a very capable second PF (Harrington) and a very capable second C (Harrison), then deciding where to put JO at the start of each game is a strength and not a weakness.

However, I'm not too excited about either a Al-JO-Jeff or Al-JO-David frontcourt, because I'm not excited about Al getting major minutes at SF.

If you're going to start Jeff or David, then Danny-JO-Jeff or Danny-JO-David is a better alternative. Whether or not Al is okay with that is another discussion (I have no clue, but I'd like to think Al's "I need to start" days are behind him.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wells
    --This group of players have already started developing a strong bond. The addition of Darrell Armstrong and the maturity of Jermaine O’Neal and Al Harrington have played a part in that. Last year’s team had issues over playing time playing time (Anthony Johnson and Sarunas Jasikevicius) and contract questions (Fred Jones) before training camp even started.

That, especially the bolded section, put a big grin on my face. "A strong bond" means good chemistry. A mature JO (and the rumored mature SJax) means a much better basketball team.

Call me a sunshiner, but I'm starting to buy this stuff and get really excited for the season.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Sarunas Jasikevicius reportedly worked out with his former European team Maccabi Tel Aviv during summer.
    Not to be a hater ( ), but, seriously, couldn't he have found a more productive use of his time, even over in Europe? If he were a rookie out of college who had difficulties adjusting to the pro game, the last thing I'd want him to do is go work out at his old school all summer.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Not to be a hater ( ), but, seriously, couldn't he have found a more productive use of his time, even over in Europe? If he were a rookie out of college who had difficulties adjusting to the pro game, the last thing I'd want him to do is go work out at his old school all summer.
    I don't know who he was supposed to work out with considering everyone was getting ready for the WBC.

I don't blame him. He probably has a home there and summer is the only time of the year that he can be close to it.

It'd be nice if everyone were working out together in Indy all summer long, but I'd rather them come into camp refreshed than be mentally exhausted from being away from home. And after Saras' year last year, he needed to get away as much or more than he needed to stay.

Weren't those Mike Wells' words? I will just assume he is speculating, altho I won't be be surprised if he's proven correct. We'll see...

I very much believe in putting your best team on the court and staying consistent. Make the other team matchup to us.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Kegboy, have you seen is new bride? I'm sure the off-season was very productive.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I'm glad to see Jamaal taking things seriously and staying close to Indy and meeting with Coach Carlisle here...

....oh wait.... Carlisle had to go to Atlanta to meet him...

I'm not thrilled with Sarunas being overseas but I will cut him some slack since he is not from the USA in the first place AND he just got married. But that slack extends only as far as him showing his workouts were successful in preparing him for the NBA season.

I've read of Jamaal's remored successful workouts enough to call :BS: until I actually see it on the court. Just the fact he once again stayed apart from the team, when IMHO he should be FIGHTING for his starting spot (not having it handed to him) and doing all in his power to turn this ship around could be telling.

Of course I still believe Tinsley is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Seeing Carlisle had to go to him doesn't give me a good feeling that anything has changed.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

I'd like to have seen Sarunas work out here, but as was mentioned, he's got a home over there, a new (very good looking) bride, and summer should be a little restful for these guys. I just hope he shows up this season physically ready to go for all 82 games.

As for Tinsley...didn't he have a great summer last year, in Atlanta, fully healthy and focused, with some great improvement in part of his game? Dude's got a lot to show still.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'm glad to see Jamaal taking things seriously and staying close to Indy and meeting with Coach Carlisle here...

....oh wait.... Carlisle had to go to Atlanta to meet him...

I'm not thrilled with Sarunas being overseas but I will cut him some slack since he is not from the USA in the first place AND he just got married. But that slack extends only as far as him showing his workouts were successful in preparing him for the NBA season.

I've read of Jamaal's remored successful workouts enough to call :BS: until I actually see it on the court. Just the fact he once again stayed apart from the team, when IMHO he should be FIGHTING for his starting spot (not having it handed to him) and doing all in his power to turn this ship around could be telling.

Of course I still believe Tinsley is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Seeing Carlisle had to go to him doesn't give me a good feeling that anything has changed.

-Bball

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Well Tinsley did come out looking very good to start the season, so there is no reason to think that his summer didn't go well.

That hasn't been the problem. Heck, the BEST BALL he ever played was right after the brawl which was still early in the season.

And the worst ball he has ever played was at the end of last season when he came back from injury and played poorly enough to lose the starting PG spot back to AJ...and BTW, note that Rick did return him to a bench role after a few games of unacceptable results. It's not a free ride for JT in Indy, at least in terms of playing time and role...not much Rick can do about the contract.

-Bball
    That's a real shocker......

I've read of Jamaal's remored successful workouts enough to call :BS: until I actually see it on the court.
    His "rumored" workouts had him in great shape for the start of camp last year, too.........

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15459

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15447
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    I've got past history backing my stance. He's going to have to change and things will have to suddenly be different (and at least in regards to what was reported, nothing has changed as far as Tinsley working out with the team in summer). What have you got to believe that things will change? You've got 'hope'.

What's the old saying about hope in one hand and a pile of crap in the other?

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    It's not a free ride for JT in Indy, at least in terms of playing time and role...not much Rick can do about the contract.
    I'll second that. Just three years ago a less-paid (maybe I'm wrong?) Kenny Anderson was named starter, and Jamaal had to re-earn his starting spot with good play. As Rick has said, only JO's starting spot is secure. I know 'starting' doesn't necessarily dictate playing time or role, but it might be a good indicator for someone like Tinsley.

As far as Tinsley's conditioning goes, I also agree that he looked great at the beginning of last year. Imo, he's looked better at the beginning of every season than he looked the previous year. And he has dedicated himself in the offseason to be in shape (even going as far as changing his diet). It's hard to question that.

I would argue that most of Tinsley's significant injuries are 'playing' injuries. A really bad foot sprain would've kept Carl Lewis from running for a long period of time, especially after being mis-diagnosed and giving him the 'ok' to run on it way before it was truly healed. But nobody would question his conditioning.

Tinsley's had bad luck, and he's injury prone. The way he plays doesn't help, either.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    His "rumored" workouts had him in great shape for the start of camp last year, too.........
    Did you see him? He was in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Did you see him? He was in great shape.
    Yeah, that's why I posted the threads from last year's FanJam, with pictures and everyone raving about how good he looked.

I hoped to show that his workouts weren't merely "rumored" last year, and I doubt they are just "rumored" this year.........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Yeah, that's why I posted the threads from last year's FanJam, with pictures and everyone raving about how good he looked.

I hoped to show that his workouts weren't merely "rumored" last year, and I doubt they are just "rumored" this year.........

Gotcha. I still can't believe how 'trim' he was (neither could Donnie, Rick, or Kevin):

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Gotcha. I still can't believe how 'trim' he was (neither could Donnie, Rick, or Kevin):

I think that's always been the deal with Jamaal, though. With the exception of his first, and maybe his second offseason, he's always come into camp in good if not great shape, and his shot is falling also. The problem is when he gets injured, doesn't put in the work to rehab it properly, doesn't continue to keep his shooting sharp, and so when he comes back late by normal standards, but still too early, he's put on 20 lbs, couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, and often re-injures himself because of the lack of conditioning.

I think it's far more important to see how he responds when and if he gets injured this year than to look at how he comes into camp.

I thought it was to show that it was more of the "same ol, same ol" and meant nothing once the season started and the injuries, illness, pouting, and fake injuries/illness started accumulating... again.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden