Thread: Training Camp Countdown: Point Guards {Pacers.com}

Default Training Camp Countdown: Point Guards {Pacers.com}

Training Camp Countdown: Point Guards

The point guard crop: incumbents Jamaal Tinsley (L) and Sarunas Jasikevicius (R)
    flank newcomers (from top) Darrell Armstrong, Orien Greene and Snap Hunter.

Editor's Note: With next Monday's media day
    marking the dawn of Conrad Brunner's 22nd
    NBA training camp and 19th covering the
    Pacers, our resident analyst breaks down the
    roster, position by position, beginning with the
    point guards in the first of a five-part series

INCUMBENT

Tinsley

A highly talented but extremely fragile player, Jamaal Tinsley is running out of chances to prove that he's earned the prolonged faith shown in him by the franchise. Tinsley has missed nearly half the team's regular-season games the past three seasons (112) and has been fully healthy for just one of eight playoff series in his career. When healthy, he is among the best pure point guards in the league, and has a skill set that should thrive with a more fluid offensive system. If not, well, there are plenty of options.

CHALLENGERS

Jasikevicius

European icon Sarunas Jasikevicius endured an uneven introduction to the NBA, starting quickly but fading badly as his defensive liabilities were exposed and his normally reliable 3-point shot went cold. With Anthony Johnson gone, Jasikevicius appears to be first in line for the top backup job and, if Tinsley again falters, could find himself in the leading role. He, too, should flourish in the new system but will need to find a way to mask his defensive flaws.

Popular veteran Darrell Armstrong was brought from Dallas in as much for his leadership skills and locker room presence as his ability to play 94-foot defense and hit timely 3-pointers. At 38, he's entering the final season of his career and should be a solid complement to the group.

After not only making the Boston roster as an undrafted rookie but playing 80 games, Orien Greene brings some needed qualities to the Indiana backcourt, namely legitimate size and strength and quality on-the-ball defense. Though raw offensively, he brings an energy and toughness that could bode well.

Jimmie "Snap" Hunter is back for another try at a breakthrough. A minor-league legend, Hunter is an explosive scorer that needs to show the coaching staff he can run a team from the point. His 3-point shooting should be a prized commodity on a team otherwise lacking.

Though their primary duties are likely to lie elsewhere, both Marquis Daniels and rookie James White could get looks at the point in the preseason. Both are 6-7 and athletic and have played the position in secondary roles before.

BOTTOM LINE
    The Pacers need a healthy season from Tinsley, but not as much as Tinsley needs one for the benefit of his future. It's clear he's the team's first option but not the only. There are plenty of capable candidates willing, and able, to seize the opportunity should it again arise.

Pacers.com

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: Training Camp Countdown: Point Guards {Pacers.com}

It's a darn good assessment by Bruno. I especially like:

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers need a healthy season from Tinsley, but not as much as Tinsley needs one for the benefit of his future.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    It's a darn good assessment by Bruno. I especially like:

Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    The Pacers need a healthy season from Tinsley, but not as much as Tinsley needs one for the benefit of his future.
    I think the four years/$28 million he has remaining on his contract will provide a pretty good future regardless of whether he stays heathy or not.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I think the four years/$28 million he has remaining on his contract will provide a pretty good future regardless of whether he stays heathy or not.
    That's what I was thinking.

RON ARTEST

thats true, how old is he? if he is in his mid 2o's then the writer of the article probably means how much money he will make in the future after this deal is over.

Tinsley will be 33 when his current contract expires in 2011.

His financial future is not at issue, as you point out. But his reputation as a ball player needs a boost that can only come through performance on the floor.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Kestas

I love this game!

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    His financial future is not at issue, as you point out. But his reputation as a ball player needs a boost that can only come through performance on the floor.
    I hear ya....

But the cynic in me knows that some people care about "legacies" and some people only care about "royalties".

I think we'll know where Tinsley stands by next June.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs