Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are More Moves Likely In Near Future? {Pacers.com 9.25.06}

Question Are More Moves Likely In Near Future? {Pacers.com 9.25.06}

Are More Moves Likely In Near Future?

Monday, Sept. 25, 2006

QUESTION OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

Q. Earlier, it was reported that the Pacers were not yet done wheeling and dealing before the start of the season, especially given the fact they already have more players signed than the maximum of 15 they can have on the official roster by the time the 2006-07 season opens.

With all of the changes in personnel, do you anticipate any significant moves being made before the start of the season begins or will they more than likely just cut players or trade them for draft picks if they don't work out in camp? With a short period of time that training camp will provide for new players and a new style to be implemented, wouldn't it make more sense to try and stabilize the roster as quickly as possible, or will they try to change and possibly upgrade even more knowing that this team won't like come together until later in the season? (From B.J. in Sullivan, Ind.)

A. Typically, the closer a team gets to training camp, the less likely a deal becomes. Though this has been anything but a typical summer for the Pacers, I suspect that is the case. Having made the numerous moves that have brought 11 new faces onto a roster that currently stands at 18 names, the time has come to see exactly how everything fits together. The players also need some time to learn one another both from a personal and professional standpoint so that the necessary bonding can take place. Combine all of that newness with the implementation of a different offensive system, and you can see why training camp and the preseason will be exceptionally important for the players and coaches.

From a need standpoint, there are a couple of areas Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird would like to address. Another big body would help, and 3-point shooting is an area of high priority.

But as it stands the Pacers are pretty well-stocked at the two post positions with Jeff Foster, David Harrison and John Edwards at center and Jermaine O'Neal, Maceo Baston, Al Harrington, Josh Powell and ultimately Shawne Williams at power forward.

As for 3-point shooting, there's less certainty beyond Sarunas Jasikevicius but guys like Danny Granger, Williams and Snap Hunter could help fill the void.

If another significant move is to be made, it seems much more likely it would come during the February pre-trade-deadline period. By then, the front office and coaching staff will have had time to sort through the new players in order to better establish the Pacers' true strengths and ultimate needs.

Pacers.com

Why Not Us ?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Are More Moves Likely In Near Future? {Pacers.com 9.25.06}

Just cut some people; we definitely cannot have five point guards on the team. If we cut a halfway decent deal for a backup C, this was the best summer ever . He has a lot of faith in Saras which is strange. No more moves till camp; focus on getting the new guys acclimated to the system of Pacer basketball.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just cut some people; we definitely cannot have five point guards on the team. If we cut a halfway decent deal for a backup C, this was the best summer ever . He has a lot of faith in Saras which is strange.
    Maybe to you it's strange but most Pacer fans have a lot of faith in Sarunas. You're one of the very few who hasn't. and for what reason I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    Maybe to you it's strange but most Pacer fans have a lot of faith in Sarunas. You're one of the very few who hasn't. and for what reason I may ask?
    He doesnt have faith in him because Saras is bad at basketball. He had a whole season to play last year and he proved nothing. Dont be suprised if by the 10-15th game Queezey is backing up Tins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    He doesnt have faith in him because Saras is bad at basketball. He had a whole season to play last year and he proved nothing. Dont be suprised if by the 10-15th game Queezey is backing up Tins.
    And don't be surprised if by the 10-15th game Queezy is backing up Saras, while Tins sits on the bench injured or pouting.

Each scenario is as likely as the other. I'm still a little miffed that we traded our lone dependable PG and kept two question marks (Saras and Tins), and our lone back-up plan is a SG/SF who can play some point but hasn't cracked a rotation in the last 2 years.

Banned

What did JO prove last season?
    That he isn't clutch and is injury-prone?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    ...our lone back-up plan is a SG/SF who can play some point but hasn't cracked a rotation in the last 2 years.
    It is more than a little deceptive to say that Quis hasn't been in the rotation for 2 years.

He did fail to crack the tightened PLAYOFF rotation this year, but he played in almost 80% of the Mavs regular season games this year (62 games, 29 starts) and averaged 28.4 min/g, which is more minutes per game than AJ, by the way. He has more starts in his 3-year career than AJ had combined in the 7 years immediately before last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...s?statsId=3764

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...s?statsId=3207
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I personally like the idea of keeping as many of these guys as we can for as long as we can. If we have like 8 guys all fighting for the last 5 spots, that can only bring a lot of energy, competitiveness and fire to practice. It's like a bunch of JV kids trying out for the varsity squad. Because let's face it, a lot of these dudes are pretty JV.

But hopefully a spirit of competitiveness will permeate it's way up to the top and JO/Al/Granger/Harrison/Foster/Tinsley and all the other guys with defined roles will be affected by the young'ns and cast-offs.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    It is more than a little deceptive to say that Quis hasn't been in the rotation for 2 years.

He did fail to crack the tightened PLAYOFF rotation this year, but he played in almost 80% of the Mavs regular season games this year (62 games, 29 starts) and averaged 28.4 min/g, which is more minutes per game than AJ, by the way. He has more starts in his 3-year career than AJ had combined in the 7 years immediately before last season.
    Fine, fine, you got me. Still, is he a PG? I doubt it, who knows.

And don't be surprised if by the 10-15th game Queezy is backing up Saras, while Tins sits on the bench injured or pouting.

Each scenario is as likely as the other. I'm still a little miffed that we traded our lone dependable PG and kept two question marks (Saras and Tins), and our lone back-up plan is a SG/SF who can play some point but hasn't cracked a rotation in the last 2 years.
    Nah, Al is back, we are running a new offense. Tins is good.

Better luck next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulfas View Post
    What did JO prove last season?
    That he isn't clutch and is injury-prone?
    I dont even know this dude, so I'm gonna pass on this post.

I really don't understand how absolutely everyone is ignoring the big huge gaping weakness at PG. Does everyone have their head buried in the sand or what??

Tinsley is not going to stay healthy/happy, and then we got Saras and a few guys that couldn't even play in the NBA last year. Yeah I don't see how anyone with a brain in their skull thinks this is gonna work out....

EDIT: Whats more frustrating is the so called areas that everyone thinks we need to improve in are another big man and 3 pt shooting. Those don't even compare in the least little bit to the importance of good play from the PG position. And like he even said, we already have enough post players so why anyone is asking for another big is beyond me.

Heads in the sand....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    I really don't understand how absolutely everyone is ignoring the big huge gaping weakness at PG. Does everyone have their head buried in the sand or what??

Tinsley is not going to stay healthy/happy, and then we got Saras and a few guys that couldn't even play in the NBA last year. Yeah I don't see how anyone with a brain in their skull thinks this is gonna work out....

EDIT: Whats more frustrating is the so called areas that everyone thinks we need to improve in are another big man and 3 pt shooting. Those don't even compare in the least little bit to the importance of good play from the PG position. And like he even said, we already have enough post players so why anyone is asking for another big is beyond me.

Heads in the sand....
    You're not a Darrell Armstrong believer?

But yeah.....I agree. It seems as though a bunch of people are considering Quis or "never-played-a-minute-in-the-league-or-hardly-any-PG-anywhere" James White as legit options at the point. I don't see it.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We only have one legit option at point, until we can do something different roster wise (other than sign overhyped, overwhelmed backups) we have to hold our collective breath and hope he stays healthy and happy.

This team still needs to improve in the backcourt, which has had far worse professionalism/ chemistry than our (now overhauled) frontcourt ever had.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Pacers point guard position is probably the worst of any team that has a chance of making the playoffs.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i wish people would get off Sarus's back...sure he had a lackluster rookie nba season but man...everyone seems to want to send out the lynch mob on the guy. give him a chance!
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    i wish people would get off Sarus's back...sure he had a lackluster rookie nba season but man...everyone seems to want to send out the lynch mob on the guy. give him a chance!
    I'd say it's more accurate that he had a lackluster 3 months after the all-star break. If he can play like he did the first couple months for an entire season, we'll be in good shape.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I am definitely ready and willing to give Saras his chance and we can't have a great idea about what is going to happen with him and the rest of the players at least till we get some training camp reports. We are just accepting Saras for what he is (see thunderbird's thread about Saras). The problem is that too much of our success is bent on Tinsley staying healthy and/or some backup stepping up in ways that they may not be used to. I am going to support and cheer for Saras to the fullest extent but having faith is a different thing; I am hoping for some change and alterations in his game from last season. Thanks for the nice words though. Just to let you know, first and foremost, I am a Pacers (singular) fan.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Nah, Al is back, we are running a new offense. Tins is good.
    Non sequitur much? What does that even mean?

Nearly every season, there are question marks. Sometimes, they are very apparent, and sometimes not. In season's past, we've started with questions about Smits' feet, Ron's attitude, Best's leadership and Isaiah's "quick" offense. There is always something looming. Sometimes, you don't even know what the issue is going to be, and it comes out of nowhere.

But there is always something. There is a weak link to every chain. You just have to cope and look for options. TPTB have decided to take the chance with the players they've got. One of four things will happen:

1. Tinsley and Sarunas will perform better than expected.
    2. A trade to strengthen the point guard will be made mid-season.
    3. Greene or Armstrong or Hunter will blossom.
    4. The Pacers will lose a lot of games.

Let's play the games and find out which one it is.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You know you are correct. I haven't been posting much about the Pacers in the past 6 weeks or so, because I want to give each of the players a clean slate going into training camp and preseason. So I'll wipe the slate clean and let's see how Saras and others do in a few weeks

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe that many like Saras because of his past successes. The problem with Saras is that Rick has shown that he does not have faith in European players (Peja, Okur, Saras). Whether their style of play does not match his coaching scheme or his inability to coach them, there is an issue there. Carisle identifies with defensive players (AJ, Curry) that will work in his system. Now the system is changed (supposively). Not only do we have to incorporate Saras in a new system but we have to incorporate the already existing players. And then throw in Al, Daniels, Shawne, White, Armstrong, Snap, and company. This training camp may be the most important in recent years. Chemistry with personalities is one thing. Chemistry with a new system and new players adds more obstacles. This season will determine how good our coach really is. The reason coaches like Riley and Jackson are good because they establish individual players an indentity on the team.

Saras has none. With Al here, what role does Granger play? If he is the starter does that change JO's role? Where does Foster come into the mix? What role does Daniel's fill?

There are more ? marks than that. Especially when you factor the annual injuries. This season concerns me. If we are a contender we have to answer some questions. And if those questions remain unanswered, we will have a new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    You know you are correct. I haven't been posting much about the Pacers in the past 6 weeks or so, because I want to give each of the players a clean slate going into training camp and preseason. So I'll wipe the slate clean and let's see how Saras and others do in a few weeks
    Might as well try I guess... it seems TPTB have done so.

That said, nothing would excite me more than to see Tinsley get moved. He's had enough chances for me.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Non sequitur much? What does that even mean?
    You a tator tot *** dude, go backflip into a pool of that's one step too far - Jay.

Banned

I know Sarunas is not the most athletic person in the world, but I still dont see why so many people are soooooooooo down on him. He was a ROOKIE after all.

Kobe rookie stats: 7.6 points, 1.9 rebounds, 1.3 assists
    Saras rookie stats: 7.3 points, 2.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists

Now back off the man and give him an honest chance to prove himself.

He could be the next Kobe Bryant......

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptown View Post
    I know Sarunas is not the most athletic person in the world, but I still dont see why so many people are soooooooooo down on him. He was a ROOKIE after all.

Kobe rookie stats: 7.6 points, 1.9 rebounds, 1.3 assists
    Saras rookie stats: 7.3 points, 2.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists

Now back off the man and give him an honest chance to prove himself.

He could be the next Kobe Bryant......
    Ecept there is one HUGE difference.

How old was Kobe when he was a rookie? Now compare that to Saras when he was a rookie.