Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Soccer Thread

Default Official Soccer Thread

I'm surprised I didn't see this up already. Actually not really, but anyways, in case you didn't see it here are the groups for World Cup 06:

Group A

Germany
    Costa Rica
    Poland
    Ecuador

Group B

England
    Paraguay
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Sweden

Group C

Argentina
    Ivory Coast
    Serbia and Montenegro
    Netherlands

Group D

Mexico
    Iran
    Angola
    Portugal

Group E

Italy
    Ghana
    United States
    Czech Republic

Group F

Brazil
    Croatia
    Australia
    Japan

Group G

France
    Switzerland
    Korean Republic
    Togo

Group H

Spain
    Ukraine
    Tunisia
    Saudi Arabia

-------------------

Here now are my predictions for the group stages:

Group A-Germany & Ecuador

Group B-England & Sweden

Group C-Argentina & Ivory Coast (That's right able!)

Group D-Portugal & Mexico

Group E-Czech Rep. and Italy

Group F-Brazil and Japan

Group G-France & Korea

Group H-Spain & Saudi Arabia

Not really too daring, pretty much went with the favorites. I do see the Asian countries coming up suprising some people. The AFC could possibly overtake the CAF for the #3 footballing Confederation.

sweabs

Default Re: World Cup Draw

Group A
    Germany & Poland

Group B
    England & Sweden

Group C
    Argentina & Netherlands

Group D
    Iran & Portugal

Group E
    Italy & Czech Republic

Group F
    Brazil & Croatia

Group G
    France & Switzerland (Go Switzerland!!!)

Group H
    Spain & Saudi Arabia

Side note: The USA's division is very strong, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Side note: The USA's division is very strong, in my opinion.
    Oh yeah, toughest group besides Group C. I didn't think US had much of a chance to get out of the group stage before the draw. Now, I'd be VERY surprised if they advanced.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pollardfreek
    Here now are my predictions for the group stages:

Group C-Argentina & Ivory Coast (That's right able!)

Not really too daring, pretty much went with the favorites. I do see the Asian countries coming up suprising some people. The AFC could possibly overtake the CAF for the #3 footballing Confederation.
    You must be dreaming. FYI the Holland team that faced Portugal is significantly different and I dare without hesitation say superior to what we fielded at the EC back then, so DREAM ON! IF Holland is not going through to the next round it will more likely be because of Yugoslavia and Montenegro. We beat Argentina, sending them out of the tournament in 1998 and Yugoslavia in both 1998 (3-1 or 3-2 believe) and then again in 2000 with 7-1, so they might both be extra motivated to play us, we'll see. But, Ivory Coast .

Argentina is the favorite to win the group, but only because I consider Brasil and Argentina the number one and two of the world respectively.

In Europe I consider Portugal, Italy and France the supreme powers currently and I see Germany clanging on, because the next world championships are played in Germany and traditionally those always do well.

I don't get the kind of hyping England always gets, good midfield and one or two attackers, so whatelse? I certainly DO see them as one of the countries that could very well upset anyone, except Brasil, of the countries I listed above, BEFORE getting send out of the tournament themselves.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Oh yeah, toughest group besides Group C. I didn't think US had much of a chance to get out of the group stage before the draw. Now, I'd be VERY surprised if they advanced.
    Me too. How does the US get ranked in the top-10 of the FIFA ranking btw? Same for Mexico and my country too btw Everyone with a little bit of soccer knowledge knows they are not good, though I would without a doubt say we are top-8.

Regards,

Mourning

My predictions for the countries advancing beyond the group stages, numbers 1 and 2 respectively.

Group A
    Germany & Poland

Group B
    England & Sweden

Group C
    Argentina & The Netherlands

Group D
    Portugal & Mexico

Group E
    Czech Republic & Italy

Group F
    Brasil & Croatia

Group G
    France & Korea

Group H
    Spain & Ukraine

Regards,

Mourning

With a little bit of luck, Australia could make it out of the tough group F.
    Cant wait to see the Brazil v Australia matchup, we are gonna get so caned..

Thumbs up Re: World Cup Draw

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    You must be dreaming. FYI the Holland team that faced Portugal is significantly different and I dare without hesitation say superior to what we fielded at the EC back then, so DREAM ON! IF Holland is not going through to the next round it will more likely be because of Yugoslavia and Montenegro. We beat Argentina, sending them out of the tournament in 1998 and Yugoslavia in both 1998 (3-1 or 3-2 believe) and then again in 2000 with 7-1, so they might both be extra motivated to play us, we'll see. But, Ivory Coast .

Argentina is the favorite to win the group, but only because I consider Brasil and Argentina the number one and two of the world respectively.

In Europe I consider Portugal, Italy and France the supreme powers currently and I see Germany clanging on, because the next world championships are played in Germany and traditionally those always do well.

I don't get the kind of hyping England always gets, good midfield and one or two attackers, so whatelse? I certainly DO see them as one of the countries that could very well upset anyone, except Brasil, of the countries I listed above, BEFORE getting send out of the tournament themselves.

Regards,

Mourning

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Holland is awesome, I'd probably even rank them ahead of Portugal. Unfortunately, it really doesn't show in major tournaments. I'd almost call them choke artists. I love their style of play, I love watching their games. If they advanced, I'd be glad for them. That's what's so great about the World Cup, anything can happen. Six months seems so far away.

*edit* Oh, and I stand by my Ivory Coast pick. They're going to surprise some people. They're my upset pick.

I went to the US - Mexico qualifier game in Colombus. Mr. Beasley from Fort Wayne was significantly faster than anyone else on the field/pitch. Its been great watching his development.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

Quote Originally Posted by abington
    I went to the US - Mexico qualifier game in Colombus. Mr. Beasley from Fort Wayne was significantly faster than anyone else on the field/pitch. Its been great watching his development.
    Yeah, Beasley is a really nice player. PSV Eindhoven likes to use him as a supersub and he seems perfectly suited for it. Just when most opposing defenders are starting to get more tired between the 65th and the 75th minute he gets inserted and sprints over them. He's very ligth, so I don't think he would be that great as a starter, but a supersub he certainly is.

Regards,

Mourning

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Holland is awesome, I'd probably even rank them ahead of Portugal. Unfortunately, it really doesn't show in major tournaments. I'd almost call them choke artists. I love their style of play, I love watching their games. If they advanced, I'd be glad for them. That's what's so great about the World Cup, anything can happen. Six months seems so far away.

*edit* Oh, and I stand by my Ivory Coast pick. They're going to surprise some people. They're my upset pick.
    Oh, ok. Well I can't remember when we didn't even get out of the group stage before. We made it to the last 8 in '94 until Brasil, the later champion beat us with a very unlikely goal at the end of the game making it 3-2 for them.

In '96 we got ousted by France, again the later champion in the last 8 ... on penalties.

in '98 we we went to the last 4, taking out Yugoslavia and Argentina (which took out the UK) respectively and reached the last 4 before losing to .... AGAIN the later champion Brasil in what Brasilians claimed was there toughest match in the tournament.

Then in '00 we went to the last 4 after destroying Yugoslavia 7-1. We were beaten by Italy in the worst match I think I have EVER seen my national team play, increadible we lost that match, really thinking of that match can still get my bloodpressure UP!!! We really ****ed up right there and should have won the tournament, I have no doubt we would have defeated France at that time.

in '02 we didn't make it to the WC, because some genius thought it was a good idea to immediately start qualifying the next month after finishing the EC of '00 and by starting off in one of the toughest groups and against Ireland who were completely fresh not having played in the EC. And even then we almost made it IF we didn't give away 2 goals in the away match against Portugal which we TOTALLY dominated until the last 5 minutes when we somehow went from 0-2 to 2-2. Anyway, that was really stupid.

In '04 we reached the last 4 in the EC, but lost to Portugal who were simply better and playing at home. The team seemed old and slow and the coachin MY GOD the COACHING!!! .

Now for '06 we AGAIN faced the Chech Republic in the qualifiers aswell as Romania, making it one of the toughest group to qualify in. And we went almost perfect under new coach Marco Van Bastern, who rejuvenated the squad on a large scale. The team is younger, much more hungry and has hordes of talent that is still developing (Van Persie, Emanuelson, Sneijder, Boulahrouz, Landzaat, Mathijsen), while also having a few older experienced players (Cocu, Van Bronckhorst, Davids) and some absolute star players (Van Nistelrooij, Van der Sar, Robben, Van Bommel, Van der Vaart).
    This is a VERY different squad from 2004 and with much better coaching. IF we make it through the first round ... WATCH OUT! With a little luck Kalou gets Dutch citizenship which he REALLY wants ... WHICH would mean hehehe that the Ivory coast just lost one of its best players to us, a direct rival and he would probably be taken in up in the team going to Germany next year.
    Then take into account that Germany is a country we border to. We have practically the same climate, so no more playing in the afternoon like we did in 1994 in freaking Florida or in the Algarve in 2004, not some other timezone either, just perfect!

Sounds strange, but in these sort of tournaments even these small things should be taken into account. One of the reasons I think African teams will do well, I think, in the World Cup in 2010 in South Africa btw.

Anyway, we usually do well enough to get through the group stages even in tough groups like in 2004 and 1996. I don't think the Ivory Coast has enough experience and intelligence to make it in this group. They have a lot of talent, but african teams in general just ... usually don't play very "intelligent" or tactical, don't take this like a rascist comment, but just look at Nigeria, Senegal and South Africa over the last decade. There has only been one exception in I think 1990. Damn! Which country was that? Ghana? I'm not sure.

Regards,

Mourning

Since Belgium has dramatically failed to qualify for the world cup, you would expect I'd be generous and root for my northern neighbour, the Netherlands (very good team AND coach btw). But I won't!

I will root for, let's see, euhm, the Ivory Coast!

And I do think high of England no matter what. They easily have the best defense of all (Terry, Carragher, Campbell, Ashley Cole,...), a great midfield to say the least (Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Beckham, Joe Cole, Dyer,...). Their weakest point could be their strikers, however when Owen reaches his best form and you have Rooney of course, an unbelievable good player, you can't be displeased with that. I think they have a good chance of making it to the finals.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov
    Since Belgium has dramatically failed to qualify for the world cup, you would expect I'd be generous and root for my northern neighbour, the Netherlands (very good team AND coach btw). But I won't!

I will root for, let's see, euhm, the Ivory Coast!

And I do think high of England no matter what. They easily have the best defense of all (Terry, Carragher, Campbell, Ashley Cole,...), a great midfield to say the least (Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Beckham, Joe Cole, Dyer,...). Their weakest point could be their strikers, however when Owen reaches his best form and you have Rooney of course, an unbelievable good player, you can't be displeased with that. I think they have a good chance of making it to the finals.
    England has a hard time at scoring and at times I REALLY don't like the way they play defense a lot of times more physical then with the brains. The midfield is absolutely worldclass and if Rooney can keep on developing they will be dangerous. I don't see them progressing beyond the last four though.

Belgians are just jealous and envious of us, because we are way better then they will ever be that's nothing new. They like to say we have big mouthes, but we can back it up and they can't .

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Belgians are just jealous and envious of us, because we are way better then they will ever be that's nothing new. They like to say we have big mouthes, but we can back it up and they can't .
    I see the Netherlands progress to maybe the quarter or semi finals. Then they will loose in a penalty shootout after missing a few penalties in the game itself too.

R
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

My predictions for the group stage :

Group A

Germany
    Poland

Group B

England
    Sweden

Group C

Argentina
    the Netherlands

Group D

Angola
    Portugal

Group E

Italy
    Czech Republic

Group F

Brazil
    Australia

Group G

France
    Switzerland

Group H

Spain
    Ukraine

World champions : England
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

1 : Pollardfreek is right about Ivory Coast, they are a dark horse, one of the best if not the best African countries.
    2: Holland will not go anywhere, they have not even placed themselves for the worldcup, it is not a worldcup for provinces, but for countries, henceforth "the Netherlands" is representing that country, since there are a lot of players on that team that are not born of live in the province of "holland" there is no justification for calling them that.
    3. Netherlands should and will most likely get to the final, and no the Dutch have never been ousted in the groupstages, if we were there the quarter-finals was the very least of our results.
    4. Argentina has a lot more to overcome then the Dutch, or the Serbs for that matter, it is well known that South American countries do not perform well when the WC is in Europe.
    5. English team is plain bad, however hte Engliush (as they always do) think they are the best in the world, just as they still think they rule it, i leave 'm in that state of mind and just chuckle whenever they loose yet another game/sport. Yes you are right, I chuckle a lot.

Finally; no predictions from me, not before we are one week before the start and I know what all the friendly results are
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Kezman is going to own the World Cup, too bad we ended up in the best group.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Kezman is going to own the World Cup, too bad we ended up in the best group.
    I hope and think he'll do better than at his debut at a major international tournament

Regards,

Mourning

btown, there's a howto for US citizens at www.fifa.com
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Could a mod please change this to "the soccer thread"? With Champions League and domestic leagues heating up, I think there will be a lot of non world cup discussion. Like, oh, I don't know, Benfica stomping Liverpool today.

Barcelona's the team to beat now in the CL.

Damn that last game against Chelsea was boring.

Default Re: Official Soccer Thread

If Del Horno doesnt get the red card in the first game Chelsea wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    If Del Horno doesnt get the red card in the first game Chelsea wins.
    Well, we'll never know about that. I don't think he should've gotten red for that one challenge, but he certainly deserved a yellow card (what a dumb challenge it was btw). Together with his previous challenge where he hit Messi's knee very bad and he also should've gotten a yellow card at least, that also gives him the red anyway.

But Chelsea certainly wasn't strong enough to worry Barca in the second game. I didn't understand Mourinho's coaching at all. They had to score twice in that game so you'd expect them to be fired up and pressure Barcelone from the first whistle, but no, they just let Barca play their passing game. Or maybe they just couldn't do better. And you can't blame Barca for not being ultra offensive cause that's what's killed them last year against Chelsea: 3 counters, 3 times bingo, 3-0 after 20 minutes of play.

Also Mourinho's substitutions: you'd expect him to bring on one extra striker, but no, it was just striker for striker, Crespo for Drogba. And then at the end he brings in Robert Huth, a defender to play target man striker (he could've just let Drogba in, right?). Btw I really don't understand Huth's playing for one of the best teams in Europe. The man has no technique whatsoever.

Benfica-Barca is going to be the premiere matchup in the quarters.

---------------------------

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UCL...203/index.html

Iberian duel for Barça and Benfica
    Friday, 10 March 2006

FC Barcelona and SL Benfica will meet in a mouthwatering UEFA Champions League quarter-final – a tie which is a repeat of the 1960/61 European Champion Clubs' Cup final and which sees former Barça star Ronald Koeman take his current team back to his old club.

Favourites' tag
    The reigning champions of Spain and Portugal have proud European traditions, not least having lifted the famous trophy once and twice respectively. After disposing of Chelsea FC, Barcelona are many people's favourites to go all the way to the 17 May final in Paris, and Frank Rijkaard's side will get to play the second leg at the Camp Nou on 5 April after first travelling to the Estádio da Luz on 28 March.

'Great draw'
    Benfica coach Koeman, who captained the Catalan outfit to European Cup glory in 1992, gave the following reaction: "It is a great draw for us, and very special for me personally because of the happy years I spent at Barcelona. I've already received phone calls from the many friends that I left there and that's nice. Barcelona have a history of success and have a very good team."

Difficult task
    José Veiga, the Eagles' general manager, added: "Barcelona are one of the greatest European teams, if not the greatest. However, with just eight teams left in the competition we cannot afford to pick our opponents. It will be very difficult but sometimes things aren't as hard as they seem. I believe we can go through to the semi-finals because we have a great side."

'Passionate tie'
    Barcelona goalkeeper Víctor Valdés said: "They are a proper team and they will not be easy opponents. They had a tough tie in the last round, but didn't concede a goal against Liverpool [FC] and won well at Anfield. They deserve as much respect as we do. It will be a passionate tie. You can't say they aren't a big team and they must be good because they are in the quarter-finals."

First meeting
    In that 1960/61 showpiece, the Lisbon club's 3-2 victory meant they became the first side other than Real Madrid CF to win the competition, although it was Barcelona who had the pleasure of eliminating the then five-time winners in the first round. The final, played in Berne, was also the teams' very first meeting in UEFA competition.

Significant contest
    It was Barça who prevailed the next, and only other, time the clubs were drawn together, in the group stage that immediately preceded the final of 1991/92 tournament. Barcelona earned a 0-0 draw in Portugal before a 2-1 home success. The four points taken from those encounters were to prove pivotal as Barcelona ultimately claimed the trophy for the first time, with a 1-0 victory against UC Sampdoria. Koeman scored the only goal in extra time.

Poor record
    Benfica do not have a particularly impressive record in Spain, having played there on six occasions and won just once. That sole triumph was a 2-1 defeat of Real Betis Balompié in the 1982/83 UEFA Cup first round. In the third round of the same competition in the 1999/00 campaign, Benfica suffered their heaviest loss in UEFA competition, succumbing 7-0 at RC Celta de Vigo. Against Spanish visitors, Benfica have lost only once, however – 1-0 at the hands of Villarreal CF in this season's group stage.

Imperious form
    Meanwhile, Barcelona have shown imperious form at home against Portuguese opposition. After losing their first match against guests from their neighbouring country in the 1972/73 UEFA Cup, 1-0 to FC Porto, Barça have won eight games in a row, keeping clean sheets in five of them. The Catalan side have not fared so well across the border, losing four and drawing two of their first six outings. However, they have prevailed on their last two trips to Portugal, most recently a 2-0 success at Porto in the 1999/00 European Cup second group stage.

No, man, Benfica doesn't stand a chance.

Seriously I think Arsenal-Juve is the biggest match-up.