Thread: Estimated destruction of world low.......

Gamble

Default Estimated destruction of world low.......

I thought this could interest some people on here...

HOw do you feel about mini-black holes in europe and my question is how do you come up with the calculation of the destruction of the world?

Baby Bang experiment could open door to new dimension

Monday September 11, 2006

Deep underground on the Franco-Swiss border, someone will throw a switch next year to start one of the most ambitious experiments in history, probing the secrets of the universe and possibly finding new dimensions.

The Large Hadron Collider - a 27km-long circular particle accelerator at the CERN experimental facility near Geneva, will smash protons into one another at unimaginable speeds trying to replicate in miniature the events of the Big Bang.

"These beams will have the kinetic energy of an aircraft carrier slammed into the size of a zero on a 20p piece," Brian Cox of Manchester University told the annual meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science.

"We are going to make mini Big Bangs.

"There has never been such a jump in particle physics. It will go into an area that we don't really understand," he added.

The fundamental goal of the massive machine is to answer the basic but crucial question of how matter was created at the birth of the universe.

"We don't know what 95 per cent of the universe is made of - which is a bit embarrassing for a subject that claims to be fundamental," Dr Cox said.

"There is dark matter. It is all over the place but we have no idea what it is."

"There is also something called dark energy, and that is an even bigger question.

"It makes up about 70 per cent of the energy in the universe, but again we have absolutely no idea what it is.

"It is an incredibly exciting machine. It will be turned on next year and run for at least a decade and probably 20 years and the first results - if the machine behaves itself - should start coming out within a year," he added.

If the theories are correct, the machine will create tiny black holes that evaporate and possibly even find particles that offer evidence that the three dimensions known to mankind are just a fraction of those that exist.

"That would be an even bigger headline than the black holes. It could be that there is a whole new universe a millimetre away from our heads but at right-angles to the three dimensions that are here," Dr Cox said.

"That would be a real paradigm shift - our relegation to a little sheet in a multi-dimensional universe.

"That kind of thing is really profound and will capture the imagination that perhaps the origin of mass won't, although it should.

"For the first time in many decades we have built a machine that exceeds our powers of prediction.

"New processes are bound to be discovered. We are truly journeying into unknown territory."

Dr Cox dismissed worries that by adventuring into the unknown and creating tiny black holes, the machine could even destroy the planet.

"The probability is at the level of 10 to the minus 40," he said.

MINI BANGS

* Scientists aim to reproduce miniature versions of the so-called Big Bang, which is thought to have started the universe.

* To do this they will smash protons together at huge speeds along a 27km tube known as a particle accelerator.

* They hope to create tiny black holes or find extra dimensions in the universe.

* They estimate the possibility of accidentally destroying the planet as extremely low.

* The risk is calculated at about 10 to the minus 40 - a 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000 chance.

- REUTERS http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...ectid=10400645

Lets hope that math stands up...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Estimated destruction of world low.......

Indeed!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Diesel_81

Some people have way to much time on they're hands.

Reminds me of the Manhattan Project - one of the scientists believed that the nuclear detonation might ignite the atmosphere by initiating a follow-up fusion reaction. Others working on the project calculated that this was pretty much impossible. Fortunately, they were right - or we'd have a little sun burning in the New Mexico desert to this day.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reminds me of the Manhattan Project - one of the scientists believed that the nuclear detonation might ignite the atmosphere by initiating a follow-up fusion reaction. Others working on the project calculated that this was pretty much impossible. Fortunately, they were right - or we'd have a little sun burning in the New Mexico desert to this day.
    The difference here is that we had a pretty solid grasp on the theory behind fission before we decided to detonate some plutonium. Black holes and dark matter, on the other hand.....

We did one of these type of experiments in New Jersey last year that caused a minor stink.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ball View Post
    We did one of these type of experiments in New Jersey last year that caused a minor stink.
    That's not fair. New Jersey stunk long before that.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool. this is Science Fiction coming to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    That's not fair. New Jersey stunk long before that.
    Have you ever been to NJ (at least, parts of NJ that are not suburbs or adjacent to NYC)? It is truly a gorgeous place thoroughout most of the state -- drive through it and you will really understand why it is called The Garden State.

I apologize for playing into NJ's stereotype.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat Boy View Post
    Have you ever been to NJ (at least, parts of NJ that are not suburbs or adjacent to NYC)? It is truly a gorgeous place thoroughout most of the state -- drive through it and you will really understand why it is called The Garden State.
    YAY! A NJ SUPPORTER WHO DOESN'T LIVE HERE!
    The area is a lot cleaner nowadays because we've outsourced most of our crap-producing factories to the 3rd World...wonderful...
    I live in the NYC suburbs, and it's pretty nice here to, although I will admit, the central parts of the state, along the Kittatinny Mountains (Appalachian Trail territory) are much nicer - plus the fact that we have fresh veggies and fruit among the best I've tasted (to be fair, I don't travel much)...Anyways, back to the article in question:

"The probability is at the level of 10 to the minus 40," he said.
    10 to the minus 40, isn't that greater than 0 percent?

"They estimate the possibility of accidentally destroying the planet as extremely low"
    Well, that's reassuring.

It's kind of like that rumor/truth (I'm not sure which really) that insists that fast food restaurants are allowed to have a certain amount of rat droppings in their food products. It's like, "wait, why is there an acceptable level for that!?"

Having said that, BRING ON THE MINI BANG!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

So you're telling me there's a chance ...

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    I thought this could interest some people on here...
    I think if they would put the number in dollars or euros or whatever in the begining, the read would be more exciting
    indeed, I always wanted to know which countries have invested how much into this newest accellerator. what do these countries (or corporations or companies maybe?) expect from it?????
    could it be the most expensive structure built by man? I think it could, actually.. I personally have been looking forward to it for years - it simply is mindboggling in all respects. to me it's the embodiment of the unpredictability of the future of humanity. we are standing on the threshlold when science is begining to dramatically exceed the average human capabilities to understand it. indeed, it will be hard to slow it down and one can only wonder how the humanity will addapto to new knowledge and new possibilities, that lie ahead. so far, so good, but the progress is accellerating. I strongly believe that in 100 years time our life will be unrecognasible. it think it will be like todays world compared to some 3000 years ago.. unless we somehow manage to controll science, of course, which, I think, is impossible. we are spending billions to collide two invisible particles already, - it's irreversable.