Thread: ROT IN HELL, DMV

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ROT IN HELL, DMV

Good grief, even when its simple they mess it up.

I went in there this morning to have my license changed from vertical to horizontal. I figured it would be no big deal, right? WRONG!

First the lady says I cant renew my license because I have already done it once in the last 5 years.

Then she says because I am 21 today I cant get my new license till tommorrow.

I refuse to leave untill she lets me talk to a manager, and she keeps tellling me I cant get it re-newed.

Finally after 15-20 minutes she goes and gets the manager, and the lady tells me she needs for something to be done so that she can put that action in the computer. (which made sense to me) I said fine, what can I do. She said she would go ahead and charge me $10 to get my picture re-taken, and I could get my new license. (The whole purpose of this is cause in VA once you are 21 your license changes to horizontal and none of your restrictions are listed).

After 1 hour I walk about with my new license. considering my wait time was 10 minutes, this literally should have been a 11 minute project, but turned into a freaing 1 hour thing.

Even when its as simple as printing out a new ID the DMV still cant get it right. That's kinda sad.

Default Re: ROT IN HELL, DMV

In Texas they have to send it to us in the mail. You don't even get it when you go in. They do the horizontal/vertical thing here too.

_PD_

Geez. For chrissakes, you guys are PAMPERED.
    Don't even get us started on the Indiana bmv.

Quote Originally Posted by _PD_ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You really want to get me started of DMV stories, I'm willing to bet I would win.

Oh, and dont talk about pampered. The first thing I said when I visited Indianapolis a few months back and decided to stop at a McDonalds was "what, you have employees here that can actually speak/understand english?!"

spending only one hour at the license branch-- you should be joyous.

Generally speaking one needs a full canteen and some meals-ready-to-eat to survive the process,

which takes longer even than waiting on the furnature store delivery guy.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

_PD_

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    You really want to get me started of DMV stories, I'm willing to bet I would win.
    Baloney.
    I went once and there were OVER 300 people ahead of me in line.

Mood

And speaking of DMV's everywhere. Why do they always suck? The workload can't possibly be that hard.
    The NBA ... it's fannnnnnnnn-tastic! I LOVE this game!

Good grief, even when its simple they mess it up.

I went in there this morning to have my license changed from vertical to horizontal. I figured it would be no big deal, right? WRONG!

First the lady says I cant renew my license because I have already done it once in the last 5 years.

Then she says because I am 21 today I cant get my new license till tommorrow.

I refuse to leave untill she lets me talk to a manager, and she keeps tellling me I cant get it re-newed.

Finally after 15-20 minutes she goes and gets the manager, and the lady tells me she needs for something to be done so that she can put that action in the computer. (which made sense to me) I said fine, what can I do. She said she would go ahead and charge me $10 to get my picture re-taken, and I could get my new license. (The whole purpose of this is cause in VA once you are 21 your license changes to horizontal and none of your restrictions are listed).

After 1 hour I walk about with my new license. considering my wait time was 10 minutes, this literally should have been a 11 minute project, but turned into a freaing 1 hour thing.

Even when its as simple as printing out a new ID the DMV still cant get it right. That's kinda sad.
    I'll trade you my problems for yours any day.

That should make you feel better.

That's too bad for all of you...I went to the BMV and transferred the title for my new van and got plates for it on my lunch hour and still had time to go through the drive-thru and still make it back to work...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hear DMV horror stories all the time, but I've actually never had a bad experience at the DMV.

Last Saturday, I actually got through the BMV is about 15 minutes.

I got there about 10 minutes before they opened. I was 5th in line.

There was almost no waiting.

It was actually frightening.

teY dennaB toN

When it comes to the DMV, nobody is a winner.

_PD_

Quote Originally Posted by Twes View Post
    Last Saturday, I actually got through the BMV is about 15 minutes.

I got there about 10 minutes before they opened. I was 5th in line.

There was almost no waiting.

It was actually frightening.

That's encouraging. Perhaps I will go soon so I can remove the piece of paper I have on my windshield which presumably protects me from being arrested due to the ineptitude of the BMV. They cashed my check 6 weeks ago and I still don't have a renewal sticker. On the plus side, if I show up in person, they promise not to charge me any more money (as in a penalty).
    a$$holes Online help got me a response in only 7 days. After calling repeatedly for 3 days I managed to get past a busy signal so I could sit on hold for 23 minutes.

My 300-in-line experience was in the 60s, before online registration and renewal, before you could just mail it in. You had to show up IN PERSON everytime and pay CASH. I've seen 10-20 people who waited 2-4 hours to get to the head of the line only to be told they didn't have proper documentation and would have to come back.

Article in the paper last week about how they are measuring their service times. They put themselves on the clock once you reach the front of the line, not counting waiting time. What bureaucrats!
    And the commissioner goes on tv to tell people it's THEIR responsibility to get their plates renewed in a timely manner. Translation: It's not our fault if you face a penalty for not renewing on time.

I had a deal last June on a new vehicle from a Dealer where I had to wait 3 or 4 hours only to be told I'd have to go back to the BMV because the dealer had hosed the paperwork.

Twes was not happy.

Twes placed a very heated phone call to the dealership.

They got plates for me and sent them to me.

They also made sure the paperwork was right on this vehicle.

As far as the time in and out obviously I got lucky in the branch I went to and the time I went.

In Florida they have an on-line reservation system for the DMV. You log on and get a 15-minute times slot, though usually the first available slot is about a week in advance. If you just need a license renewal or new tag then a week is nothing to wait if you plan ahead.

You show up and get in a very short (10-15 min) line for people with on-line reservations.

Alternatively, you can not reserve a spot and wait in the OTHER line, for people with no reservation, and wait forever (>>1hr.)

It pays to be computer literate in Florida.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by _PD_ View Post
    Yeah, no kidding! We all remember the "upgrade" this past Summer . I'm so glad that I didn't have to get my plates or license renewed then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

I've lived here in Florida since 94 and it's like night and day getting your plates renewed. I used to take novels with me when I went to get my plates renewed in Indiana.

I usually renew online but this month I waited to long so I did it in person. (I was waiting for my renewal notice to arrive in the mail and then found it in my desk. I didn't even remember seeing it let alone putting it there.)

I renewed in the middle of the day and it took two minutes and even then there was someone in front of me that didn't have it together.

Best of all it was only $35. In Indiana it would have been $400 at least.

_PD_

Well OK, here's an update. Wife and I mailed our renewals in together back around August 5. Checks cleared August 8. Wife got her renewal around August 15 or so. After much gnashing of teeth and time spent I managed to finally get ahold of someone who mailed me a 60 day exemption. I got it on August 31 I think.

A couple of weeks ago I pay a personal visit to the BMV. 60 people ahead of me. A person's name is called about every 2-3 minutes. Apparently I am somehow put into the "fast" lane since I only wait 20 minutes and get a duplicate renewal sticker in about 15 minutes.

TODAY in the mail -- VOILA -- I receive my original renewal registration and sticker. It came in the mail from Winchester IN, about an hour from where I live, in another county altogether. Perhaps the PO had some input into this. BMV in Winchester apparently received it ?!?!?!!?? WTF ?!?!?! Looked up my address and mailed it to me. The envelope they received was addressed to me at my former address, the place I used to live FOURTEEN FRIGGIN' YEARS AGO.
    Your BMV in action. YMMV

EDIT: You know I'm trying to imagine this. Well let's see here are a husband and wife with expiring registrations and here are their checks. I'll just go ahead and process these and mail them on. OK there's the wife's renewal, now what was that wacky husband's address again? Oh here it is. Why do they live at two different addresses, but send in their stuff at the same time in the same envelope. Oh well (flipping hair). Not my problem.

BMV (and court) fun...

There's nothing like the 'fun' of having a ticket voided, it slipping thru the cracks and going to court anyway, no notice sent to me about the court date, a notice sent to me telling me the judge ordered my license suspended for failure to appear... (and me finding this out on a weekend when it's too late to do anything) blah blah blah... Then after the initial panic the next day I get a BMV notice telling me I had a couple of weeks before the suspension would apply. Then I'm told the local authorities are getting it corrected but it might take 72 hours (Hey, no problem with that.... I've got a couple of weeks).

And THEN I get a notice in the mail at the end of those two weeks (a couple of days after what the first notice said would be the start of the suspension) telling me my license was now suspended (and had been for a couple of days at that point). AGAIN this arrived on a weekend (waiting in my mailbox Friday night)! So Sat morning I call the BMV in Indy and am told "You're not suspended".

I also emailed them and am still waiting on that reply (trying to make sure everything is like it's supposed to be with no more surprises for me).... I'm not holding my breath for their reply but when I called the second time the automated message told me there were 33 calls in front of mine. I didn't wait on line.

And I also got a notice just this week telling me I was eligible for reinstatement but no explanation about what has transpired.

Lovely...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

_PD_

And there'll be "No Charge" right?
    Like they're doing you a favor not to charge you for their error.

Quote Originally Posted by pacercoltfan View Post
    Yeah, no kidding! We all remember the "upgrade" this past Summer . I'm so glad that I didn't have to get my plates or license renewed then.

For the record, it's still not completley stable.

Oh, and dont talk about pampered. The first thing I said when I visited Indianapolis a few months back and decided to stop at a McDonalds was "what, you have employees here that can actually speak/understand english?!"
    You would lose that bet every day of the week, and twice on Monday and Friday. Bob and Tom did a "Haunted Liscense Branch" skit specifically talking about the IN BMV. We just spend like 20 million dollars on a conversion to a new server for the BMV info that's on month 4 and still not completely right, with no end in sight. Up until roughly 1990, plate fees were among the highest in the country, and I remember my driving test being a 3 or 4 hour affair in 1996 (this was just for the written portion, as I had been to driver's ed).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I've lived here in Florida since 94 and it's like night and day getting your plates renewed. I used to take novels with me when I went to get my plates renewed in Indiana.

I usually renew online but this month I waited to long so I did it in person. (I was waiting for my renewal notice to arrive in the mail and then found it in my desk. I didn't even remember seeing it let alone putting it there.)

I renewed in the middle of the day and it took two minutes and even then there was someone in front of me that didn't have it together.

Best of all it was only $35. In Indiana it would have been $400 at least.
    Here in Texas we don't even have to go to the BMV. We go to a title company and get our stickers. As long as you don't go at the end/beginning of your month there is no line. $40 buck and done. It took me a week to remember to scrape the old sticker off of my window and put the new one on though.