Thread: Ask the expert: Mike Wells blog

Default Ask the expert: Mike Wells blog

There is a lot of noteworthy things in this.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

Ask the Expert
    Posted by Mike Wells
    (Steve) Question: MW, very quite now in the Pacers' camp, not hardly a peep! What's the scuttlebut now that Baby Al is back? More line-up shuffling seems to be the popular opinion, but I'm not so sure. Who's out there, and what have you heard Mike?

Answer: Things are relatively quiet with the Pacers these days. They’ve got 18 players under contract, three more than what’s allowed during the regular season. They’ve still got their midlevel exception, biannual exception and a $2.6 million trade exception, but I’ve been told they don’t plan on adding anymore payroll at the moment. They can release players or trade them for draft picks to get down to 15 players. There’s been talk about the Pacers needing to add another frontcourt player and 3-point shooter. I’ve been told they feel comfortable (at the moment) going with the current roster because of the lack of true centers in the East and Harrington’s ability to play in the post. Team officials think they’ve got enough outside shooters to keep the pressure off O’Neal in the post.

(J.J.) Question: What’s going on with Rick Carlisle’s contract situation?

Answer: Pacers officials said early in the offseason that Carlisle’s contract situation would be addressed at some point before the season started. All indications point to Carlisle, who is entering the final season of his four-year deal, receiving a contract extension. The Pacers feel they’ve improved team chemistry to where there won’t be a repeat of last season when it was obvious Carlisle, an exceptional basketball coach, didn't have control of his players. I talked to Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh and he said both parties plan on sitting down at some point to talk about getting an extension done. Walsh said he thinks the process could be finalized before the start of the regular season.

(Thomas) Question: It's projected that the starting front line for the Pacers will be Jermaine O'Neal at center with Harrington and Granger at the forward spots. I'm wondering why this type of arrangement wasn't implemented before Harrington was traded to Atlanta. In other words, if JO is willing to officially shift to the center spot, then theoretically, he could have done that two years ago to accommodate a starting front line of JO, Artest and Harrington. This would have allowed Harrington to stay with the Pacers as a starter, which is what he wanted all along and why he requested a trade. What's the difference that allows Pacer's management to contemplate a JO-Harrington-Granger starting front line, but not a JO-Artest-Harrington front line. Thanks!

Answer: The starting frontcourt of O’Neal, Granger and Harrington has only been speculated. Training camp is still a couple weeks away and there’s already been talk that Harrington and O’Neal will be the starting forwards with Jeff Foster at center. Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said it best a couple of weeks when he said O’Neal is probably the only player that has his started spot cemented. O’Neal said earlier this summer that he would rather get the majority of his minutes at center, but doesn’t mind playing center if it’s “our best chance to win.” Of course Carlisle has the final say who is in the starting lineup. The speculation on a starting lineup could go all the way up to the season opener at Charlotte on Nov. 1.

(Ken) Question: Now that the Harrington trade has been completed, the Pacers roster totals 18 players. Several of those players might be considered marginal or fringe at best. Who will be on the roster when training camp opens?

Answer: It will be a competitive training camp for the final few roster spots.
    Here are my givens: Jermaine O’Neal, Al Harrington, Jeff Foster, Stephen Jackson, Jamaal Tinsley, Marquis Daniels, Darrell Armstrong, David Harrison, James White, Shawne Williams, Danny Granger, Maceo Baston, Sarunas Jasikevicius.

That leaves John Edwards, Snap Hunter, Josh Powell, Rawle Marshall and Oriene Greene battling for the final two roster spots. The most intriguing battle could be Hunter and Greene. Greene is an exceptional on-the-ball defender while Hunter can put the ball in the basket a number of different ways.

(JT) Question: I thought that I read somewhere that the Pacers could apply to the NBA for salary cap relief when Jonathan Bender retired due to injury because the balance of his contract would be paid by an insurer. Is this correct and, if so, have the Pacers made such an application?

Answer: The Pacers applied and were granted salary cap relief by the NBA earlier this year. Bender will get his remaining $7.7 plus million, with insurance covering it for the Pacers. Bender’s salary won’t count against the salary cap or luxury tax for the Pacers.

(Bob) Question: Hey Mike,
    First- Great job on the blog.
    Maybe I've overlooked it, but I can't seem to find any details on why Kevin O'Neill departed.

Answer: The Pacers didn’t say much on why O’Neill won’t be back on the bench this season. There was grumblings inside the locker room about O’Neill’s inability to relate to the players. Some say he was part of the chemistry problems last season. O’Neill hasn’t landed anywhere as an assistant (he was reportedly turned down for assistant jobs in Detroit and Orlando) so he’ll be a consultant to Carlisle for this season unless he ends up with another team.

(Bruce) Question: Mike,

What's up - why was there no mention of the Pacers signing Jimmy "Snap" Hunter on the Indystar Pacers page? If you ask me, that's a big oversight. Please, acknowledge that the Pacers signed him.

Answer: Bruce, the reason you didn’t see anything written about Hunter officially signing his contract with the Pacers is because the Star wrote in late July he would sign a partially-guaranteed contract with the team. Hunter was one of the last players cut by the Pacers last season. He has no problem putting the ball in the basket. He’s always put up big numbers where ever he’s played at. The biggest issue surrounding Hunter is what position does he play. Some say he’s a point guard while others think of him as a shooting guard. Hunter will likely be borderline to make the team again this season.

Default Re: Ask the expert: Mike Wells blog

"There was grumblings inside the locker room about O’Neill’s inability to relate to the players. Some say he was part of the chemistry problems last season"

Like I said when we put him on the coaching staff, he was going to be a problem in the locker room, it was like that in Toronto and it was like that with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wells
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They’ve still got their midlevel exception, biannual exception and a $2.6 million trade exception, but I’ve been told they don’t plan on adding anymore payroll at the moment.
    I thought we used $1M of that already when we acquired John Edwards.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    I thought we used $1M of that already when we acquired John Edwards.
    We had 3 TEs

Peja
    AC trade
    AJ trade

The 2.6 I believe is the difference between AC and Daniels salary. That would leave Edwards "completing" the AJ/Armstrong deal.

Of course there was another TE from the JJ deal which was used to take Greene's salary off of waivers, but that would have expired by now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    We had 3 TEs

Peja
    AC trade
    AJ trade

The 2.6 I believe is the difference between AC and Daniels salary. That would leave Edwards "completing" the AJ/Armstrong deal.

Of course there was another TE from the JJ deal which was used to take Greene's salary off of waivers, but that would have expired by now anyway.
    I don't think we got a TE from the AC trade. It turned out his salary was around $7M -- less than everyone expected, and within 125% + 100k for a 1-for-1 trade -- so no TE created.

Can you provide a link to confirm there was a TE from that deal?

If not, there was just the TE from the AJ deal, most of which was used in acquiring the Veep, so I'm pretty sure Wells has his numbers wrong.

Sports Logo

About Carlisle's extension:

With this new "uptempo offense" that Bird is preaching....I would think that it would be better to hold off on extending Carlisle until we know that he can actually run it properly. I don't like him coming in as a "Lame-Duck" coach......but would hate it even more if they extended him before finding out if he is the type of coach that would fit what Bird wants for the future offense.

About the starting lineup:

I'm wouldn't be surprised if we end up going with a Harrington/JONeal/Fosters starting lineup but end up using a Granger/Harrington/JONeal lineup as the primary lineup throughout the game. Foster should only be limited to 20-24 minutes a game...so he may start...but we'll likely see the lineup that we want for the majority of the game.

About additions to the lineup:

I'm surprised that TPTB think that we are set with perimeter players. If anything...I think we have enough 3pt scorers....but not enough 3pt shooters. As to who we will end up keeping for the 14th and 15th spots.....I would prefer Rawle / Greene as the final 2 players....but wouldn't be surprised if it was a Rawle ( or Edwards ) / Snap Final 2 players. I could see Edwards having a slight Advantage over Rawle ( despite his undersized Athleticsm at the 3 and 4 spots ) but because we are really thin at the Center spot....I could see Edwards get the nod. As for Snap.....because he thinks that we maybe settled on our perimeter shooters...suggests to me that Snap may have the slight edge over Greene.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Can Harrington still play effectively at the 3? Did he start at 3 when the Hawks had Antoine Walker? I'd think that he would have had to have done so, but I didn't watch too many of their games.

I can easily see this happening, even though I don't agree with it. But it looks like we may be looking at what we saw in 2004, only now Al starts and Granger the 6th man finishes, whereas then it was Ron starting and Al the 6th man finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Can Harrington still play effectively at the 3? Did he start at 3 when the Hawks had Antoine Walker? I'd think that he would have had to have done so, but I didn't watch too many of their games.

Last season the Hawks had a really strange lineup, so many players who could play multiple positions, it was really difficult to determine what position he played. I suppose he played more power forward last season and more small forward the season before.

The few Hawks games I saw I thought Al was being used like a poor man's Odom. Not the role I'd pick for Al.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is he really hurting that bad for questions that he has to take one with that blatant of a spelling error?

At the very least he could have fixed the error.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    I don't think we got a TE from the AC trade. It turned out his salary was around $7M -- less than everyone expected, and within 125% + 100k for a 1-for-1 trade -- so no TE created.

Can you provide a link to confirm there was a TE from that deal?

If not, there was just the TE from the AJ deal, most of which was used in acquiring the Veep, so I'm pretty sure Wells has his numbers wrong.
    I thought it was the one from the James Jones deal last season
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I thought it was the one from the James Jones deal last season
    No, that was used to acquire Orien Greene off waivers.