Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ROT IN HELL, TOSHIBA AND NEWEGG!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ROT IN HELL, TOSHIBA!!!

Firstly, I changed the name of this thread because if this isn't a "ROT IN HELL!!!" calibur thread, I don't know what is.

Now, onto the updates. :

I took the noteback back to the local rep, and they said the laptop won't work until I get the recovery CDs installed. The guy forgot to copy over the internal recovery partition, so I no longer have the ability to access it.

They dug up a copy of XP for me, so I could use the laptop until then. He told me it would take about 30 minutes. Of course, none of the drivers I needed were installed (they're all included in the recovery), so three hours later, I finally get it back.

I get it home, fire it up to make sure it still works, then shut it down. When I shut it down, it kicks back on again and begins blowing hot air out of the side of the laptop.

So, I call Toshiba again. They tell me it's probably a problem with the cooling system. Which means, this notebook came without the system fully installed, with a bad harddrive, and with a bad cooling system.

Anyway, I'm fed up with this, so I told her I'm done messing around with it and I want a replacement. She tells me that Newegg should be issuing the replacement, since Toshiba doesn't replace laptops not purchased directly from them. Newegg, however, tells me the exact opposite.

So, now, I've been on hold for over 20 minutes waiting to talk to customer service about getting this resolved.

I'm about one more negative thing away from going on a two-company killing spree.

Default Re: ROT IN HELL, TOSHIBA AND NEWEGG!!!

I waited for over half an hour to speak to a rep, then finally hung up.

I contacted Newegg and they told me that they don't replace defective laptops, so they're not going to help me. Needless to say, I won't be ordering a damn thing from them again.

I'm going to end up being out $900. I can't believe this ****. I'm completely ****ing screwed here.

I'm going to contact the BBB about both of these companies, for all the good it does. This should be ****ing illegal.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I smell Better Business Bureau.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I waited for over half an hour to speak to a rep, then finally hung up.

I contacted Newegg and they told me that they don't replace defective laptops, so they're not going to help me. Needless to say, I won't be ordering a damn thing from them again.

I'm going to end up being out $900. I can't believe this ****. I'm completely ****ing screwed here.

I'm going to contact the BBB about both of these companies, for all the good it does. This should be ****ing illegal.
    I didn't see you already posted that.

Good.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    I smell Better Business Bureau.

who are they?

I just contacted Toshiba, and they also refuse to replace it.

I just submitted a BBB complaint against Newegg. I'm going to wait and see if that yeilds anything before going after Toshiba, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post

who are they?
    They basically are people who fight for the consumers rights. Because, as Toshiba has shown, a lot of companies seem to think consumers have no rights, and we do.

We have the right to quality products and when getting a product, we have the right to have it actually do what it's supposed to do.

I'm not sure what they all do, but they enforce those rights and take scumbag businesses to court.

Hopefully Shade gets the last laugh and gets some $$$.

Smart move, Shade!

I would also advise you to go ahead and call BBB. You probably won't get any definite answers, but at the very least you can A. confirm they have your complaint and B. You may get a nice person who "pushes" you to the front of the line.

Good luck!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shade, I honestly feel sorry for you. Come to the Pacers vs. Wiz game and I'll buy you a beer (well give you the money for a beer and you can buy it urself.)

Then we'll laff about this and watch the beat the pants off of the :thepacers
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Nerd.
    Mood

Wow, talk about crappy service and getting the run around.

Geeze.

I really hope this all comes to a quick solution and everything turns out well for you, Shade.

If I was closer to ya, I'd buy ya a drink, but I don't know where you are. Haha.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    Shade, I honestly feel sorry for you. Come to the Pacers vs. Wiz game and I'll buy you a beer (well give you the money for a beer and you can buy it urself.)

If you're trying to cheer him up that's a pretty pathetic attempt.

In fact if all that did take place Shade might go ballistic and kill himself or someone else I think you could probably be brought up on charges.

I'm sure the writers of Law and Order are waited with baited breath for their next "ripped from the headlines" episode.

Mood

FINE - no beer for Shade!

[/soup nazi]
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Wait, what?

Anything you buy from anybody should have a 30-day guarantee.

Or am I living in the 90s?

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Wait, what?

Anything you buy from anybody should have a 30-day guarantee.

Or am I living in the 90s?
    you sir are correct....below its straight outta newegg.com

Money Back Guarantee/Refund Policy
    All merchandise unless otherwise indicated may be returned within 30 days from the original invoice date for a refund. CPUs must be returned within 7 days from the invoice date for a refund. A return authorization number is required for all returns. A 15% restocking fee may apply. Additional deductions may be made for CPU returns to reflect the current market value. These terms apply to all refunds. Most products are shipped with a refund/replacement guarantee period unless otherwise noted in the product listing. Customers must inform Newegg.com of any order discrepancy within 7 days from the invoice date so that we may investigate and resolve the situation accordingly.
    Newegg.com SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Newegg.com offers our customers a 30-day satisfaction replacement or refund guarantee on all purchases, except:
    • 7-day replacement or refund guarantee on all CPUs, including Open Box processors. All other Open Box merchandise has a 15-day warranty period.
    • For CPUs, the base cost will reflect the current market value, and the 15% restocking fee will be applied after this adjustment.
    • Downloadable software is refundable within 15 days of the original invoice date. Newegg.com will confirm that the product has not been downloaded and, upon verification, the customer will be issued a letter of destruction. Once he/she agrees to the terms stipulated in the letter, Newegg.com will issue a Return Merchandise Authorization number for the refund amount.
    • DVDs are non-refundable but may be exchanged for a functional version of the same film by using the pre-paid shipping label packaged with your order.

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    you sir are correct....below its straight outta newegg.com
    Yup, and three different reps there told me that it doesn't apply to notebooks, especially defective ones. Notebooks can only be returned if they have 8 or more dead pixels.

So punch the screen.

Seriously.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Yup, and three different reps there told me that it doesn't apply to notebooks, especially defective ones. Notebooks can only be returned if they have 8 or more dead pixels.
    Is there any place in PRINT that you can find where it specifically states that the previously posted policy does not apply to notebooks?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    So punch the screen.

Seriously.
    my thoughts exactly. Take out some of that frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Well its happened more than once lately
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Have you told NewEgg what Toshiba is telling you?

Something is missing here. Are both places refusing to make this right... or do they just have a different idea about what needs to happen (IOW- they want you to send it in for repair and you now want a replacement and feel you have a lemon)?

Also, did you put it on a credit card? Dispute the charges. Also, don't some cards have a guarantee of their own and anti-lemon policy/insurance? Make a claim if your's does.

Assuming Newegg is an authorized Toshiba dealer then they have to have an agreement in place regarding defective Toshiba merchandise. I'm curious what Newegg says when/if you tell them what Toshiba said (and vice versa). And have you asked either entity to call the other on your behalf to try and get it straightened out?

Lastly... I'm betting your laptop didn't come without the system fully installed or with a bad harddrive. I bet the cooling system has been the culprit all along. It probably got a bounce in shipping or a less than intentive line worker didn't get a fan connected tightly or properly.

The issues that you have mentioned all could be heat related. Add in the recurring issue and now something odd happening with the cooling and you are probably onto something. That said, it should be an easy fix, particularly if you tell them it's had heat related issues so that the tech looks in that direction rather than fixing symptoms instead of problems. So it might not be that out of line that they'd want to make an attempt at fixing it rather than replacing it.

You have a point too... it's not like you didn't give them an opportunity to make it right already. But before you eat 900.00 and go 'postal' you might consider giving them one more time and this time make sure you tell them it's had overheating issues which should force them to look into that angle.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Well its happened more than once lately
    How about you guys go to a NBA Finals, or make a ECF, or just make the playoffs on a consistent basis....................

Shade,

You may want to go higher up the ladder with this than just Cust. Service. Let them know of your BBB complaint and threaten to complain to more venues. You may even let them know that you have been sharing this story on line and it is giving both companies very bad publicity. Heck, I've never used either place and would be leary to do so from your experience.

Good luck!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    How about you guys go to a NBA Finals, or make a ECF, or just make the playoffs on a consistent basis....................
    2 years in a row is consistent.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Have you told NewEgg what Toshiba is telling you?

Something is missing here. Are both places refusing to make this right... or do they just have a different idea about what needs to happen (IOW- they want you to send it in for repair and you now want a replacement and feel you have a lemon)?

Also, did you put it on a credit card? Dispute the charges. Also, don't some cards have a guarantee of their own and anti-lemon policy/insurance? Make a claim if your's does.

Assuming Newegg is an authorized Toshiba dealer then they have to have an agreement in place regarding defective Toshiba merchandise. I'm curious what Newegg says when/if you tell them what Toshiba said (and vice versa). And have you asked either entity to call the other on your behalf to try and get it straightened out?

Lastly... I'm betting your laptop didn't come without the system fully installed or with a bad harddrive. I bet the cooling system has been the culprit all along. It probably got a bounce in shipping or a less than intentive line worker didn't get a fan connected tightly or properly.

The issues that you have mentioned all could be heat related. Add in the recurring issue and now something odd happening with the cooling and you are probably onto something. That said, it should be an easy fix, particularly if you tell them it's had heat related issues so that the tech looks in that direction rather than fixing symptoms instead of problems. So it might not be that out of line that they'd want to make an attempt at fixing it rather than replacing it.

You have a point too... it's not like you didn't give them an opportunity to make it right already. But before you eat 900.00 and go 'postal' you might consider giving them one more time and this time make sure you tell them it's had overheating issues which should force them to look into that angle.

-Bball
    I told both companies that the other wouldn't help me, but to no avail either way.

Toshiba said they wouldn't replace it because I didn't buy it from them directly.

Newegg said that they don't do replacements or refunds on defective laptops, and that I agreed to that when buying the notebook from them (despite that I never signed anything).

I opted to fill out the BBB complaint on Newegg first because they seem the shadiest of the two with their policies. But I won't hesitate to go after Toshiba too if need be.

In the meantime, I'll just have to take in my notebook AGAIN and tell them to repair/replace the cooling system. Right now, the notebook works, but freezes quite a bit and Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesn't even work. It also kicks back on a lot after I shut it down and blows a lot of hot air out of the side.

I'm irked and want a replacement because I've already had three major problems with the one they sent me and I haven't even had it two weeks yet. That makes me worry that I'll have other problems when my warranty is up that I won't be able to afford to have fixed. The whole thing may be a $875 lemon.