Thread: Updates from... Maccabi

Default Updates from... Maccabi

Well, as both a Pacer fan & Maccabi Tel-Aviv fan, I have to say these 2 teams are developing a strange connection..

For those wondering what Saras is doing these days to stay in shape, well I watched him on Israeli TV today in practice with Maccabi. He was interviewed saying he is looking for the next year with the Pacers, and that he's expecting a better year than last year. He mentioned the busy NBA calendar as a main reason for his struggle.

He was practicing along with Rodney Buford and Will Bynum, the new Maccabi signings. They are considered as problematic signings for Maccabi, who had problems getting new players due to the war with Lebanon. Buford is expected to be more effective as he played in Europe before. Bynum is more of a project.

As Maccabi tries to rebuild its roster having its core taken to the NBA in the last 2 years, they are now reported to be very interested in... Josh Powell. They are hoping he's cut from the Indy roster, and they might offer him a contract.
    This is also true for Baston, whom Maccabi will surely bring back if possible.

Small world.

BTW - the practice was stopped after 10 minutes thanks to one of the more enthusiastic fans who threw a smoke grenade into the court. Middle east atmosphere..

Default Re: Updates from... Maccabi

Thanks for the update. That is strange, but cool.

wow, a flying beer doesn't sound that bad now. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wow, a flying beer doesn't sound that bad now.
    Oh, if Ron-Ron was playing in Greece, for example, I guess he'd have to be running up and down the stands all game long looking for his victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Seed View Post
    Bynum is more of a project.
    Really? I'd imagine he would fit in really well in the European game. Not a good shooter, but he seemed to have all the other tools of a good PG at GTech. Athletic as hell too. I thought his only barrier to the NBA was his size.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo

BTW - the practice was stopped after 10 minutes thanks to one of the more enthusiastic fans who threw a smoke grenade into the court. Middle east atmosphere..
    WTF? Can you pick up Smoke Grenades at the corner Quickie Mart in the Middle East?

Geez......talk about a dumb*ss.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

He was interviewed saying he is looking for the next year with the Pacers, and that he's expecting a better year than last year. He mentioned the busy NBA calendar as a main reason for his struggle.
    Paging Kestas...

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Really? I'd imagine he would fit in really well in the European game. Not a good shooter, but he seemed to have all the other tools of a good PG at GTech. Athletic as hell too. I thought his only barrier to the NBA was his size.
    Well there are 2 things that are mentioned about him:
    1. His assist to TO ratio was just plain horrible. As the Euro game is extremely based on ball movement, he will have to improve on this.
    2. His lack of European experience. Its hard to come to a leading European club and just fit in. Takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    WTF? Can you pick up Smoke Grenades at the corner Quickie Mart in the Middle East?
    Yeah.. Well actually the posession of guns by citizens is prohibited in Israel, and the streets are actually much safer than most western countries. But Maccabi fans could match the Israei army if needed , especially now that it has lost its defference effect .

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Paging Kestas...
    we got rid of pagers like 10 years ago pointless device, to say the least.

anyways, Saras seems to have embraced this version really well.

anyways, he would still be laughed at with such statements in Lithuania. I'm sure lots of Israeli fans don't buy that as well

Quote Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
    we got rid of pagers like 10 years ago pointless device, to say the least.

anyways, he would still be laughed at with such statements in Lithuania. I'm sure lots of Israeli fans don't buy that as well
    Do they make a good Martini in Fantasy Land?

Quote Originally Posted by Kestas View Post

Dang! Talk about beliving what you want to believe! When you hear something from the person himself and you don't believe it there's really nothing more to say.

While I don't agree with Kestas, you guys jumping all over him are pretty unreasonable too. It's totally plausible that Saras is just "saying the right things" to the media because he doesn't want to go after Carlisle, his teammates, etc. Who knows, maybe Kestas is Saras letting his true thoughts be heard anonymously on a message board.

Seriously though, which sounds better:

1) I got tired, I'll work on my conditioning...
    2) Give me the rock, I'm a second year player who needs to dominate the ball and play PG regardless of the team's needs. If my dumba*** coach and teammates would realize that, I would be an all-star.

Not saying that I agree with #2 (at all), just saying that Saras isn't an idiot, he knows what to say. It's the offseason, everyone's saying the right things (see other thread for Jackson article), we'll see what they're saying four months from now.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    While I don't agree with Kestas, you guys jumping all over him are pretty unreasonable too.
    Well, he called us all liars and said we were making things up. So when Sarunas himself says we were right, you've got to expect we're going to point it out.

That being said...
    Not saying that I agree with #2 (at all), just saying that Saras isn't an idiot, he knows what to say. It's the offseason, everyone's saying the right things (see other thread for Jackson article), we'll see what they're saying four months from now.
    Fair enough.

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Well, he called us all liars
    you made this up and you know it I never did that.

regarding the subject - nothing else to add. I am not capable to braoden your horizons, what a suprise!

#2 sounds better to me, #1 sounds like BS.

Rytas_Jega

He mentioned the busy NBA calendar as a main reason for his struggle.
    Saras talked about his previous tiring seasons in Europe at the NBA all-star weekend.

Poor Saras, it seems he feels really bad and needs someone or somewhat to blame. He could also blame Lithuanian Basketball Federation for disturbing him with those ridiculous invitations to play in Japan.