Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9/11 Memorial thread- 5 year anniversary

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 9/11 Memorial thread- 5 year anniversary

Is it too early to start this? I don't think so, so here goes. It will have been 5 years ago on Monday that one of the most tragic events in the USA's history occured. It is strange how time is flown. I am sure that almost everyone on here remembers where they were when they first heard the news or saw the coverage. I would like to use this thread for personal memories of where you were on that day when you first heard as well as personal tributes to lost love ones and others that lost their lives that day.

For me my story is simple. I was tired and barely awake in my 8th grade HISTORY class of all places. Our principal came in and whispered something to our teacher and the next thing I knew we were turning on the TV and watching history unfold before us. My teacher said he would not be able to teach the rest of the day he was so shook up.

Well thats my story. My heart goes out to all those who died and I am honored to call myself an American after the way the firemen and policemen of NYC and DC responded that day.

I love this picture as I have always had a great respect for our flag.

I'll leave you with lyrics to the Michael W. Smith song "There She Stands"

Michael W. Smith "There She Stands"
    When the night
    Seems to say
    All hope is lost
    Goneaway
    But i know
    I'm not alone
    By thelight
    She stands

There she waves
    Faithfulfriend
    Shimmering stars
    Westward wind
    Show theway
    Carry me
    To the place
    She stands

Just when you think it might be over
    Just when you thinkthe fight is gone
    Someone will risk his life to raiseher
    There she stands

There she flies
    Clearblue skies
    Reminds us with red
    Of those that died
    Washed in white
    By the brave
    In their strength
    She stands

When evil calls itself a martyr
    When all your hopes come crashing down
    Someone will pullher from the rubble
    There she stands

We'veseen her flying torn and tattered
    We've seen her standthe test of time
    And through it all the fools havefallen
    There she stands

By the dawn's
    Early light
    And through the fight
    She stands

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 9/11 Memorial thread- 5 year anniversary

I, like everyone my age who lives in Indiana, was taking my sophmore ISTEP testing.

However, unlike most, I left for school late and my Dad told me about the first plane. We both shrugged it off as a fluke. Then when we were done testing our counselor announced that another plane hit the Pentagon and then I knew something was wrong. We left the gym where we were testing and walked into the cafeteria where everyone was gathered watching the news.

I'll never forget that day. As some of you may know, my father and I are ambulance technicians. We have seen a lot of bad things, especially him who has been doing this for 20 years. However it is safe to say that nothing in our careers will ever rival this in terms of magnitude, stress, and emotional scarring. However my father was only a phone call away from getting in an ambulance and driving to New York.

Thankfully we will all remember that day. Because God help us should we one day forget.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

I was at work, getting ready to go on break when they came over the intercom and told everyone to go up to the general meeting area for a meeting. I remember thinking, "Why now, everyone is going to break".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

I was at Oaklandon Elementary. I had just walked in from the bus and noticed my teacher was crying. She seemed really sad so I decided to start on my D.O.L. and D.O.M. Finally she turned on the news and just let it all go. I wanted to ask her exactly what happened, but I didn't need to. Looking up at the TV screen could tell you all you wanted to know. The facial expressions, the tears ... It was one of those things you can't forget.

I can't believe that it's been so long since.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Peace Out.

Like DD, I was taking my sophomore GQE, and during one of the breaks the teacher who was proctoring the exam told us followed by a statement that made my blood boil: "Now to the next portion of the exam."

After we got done, we sat around a TV all day with our jaws dropped to the floor.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was sleeping in my dorm room at college. I was awakened by my roommate yelling "OH *******!". The roommate was actually in the National Guard. I rolled over, got out of bed, and watched the TV for the entire day; I didn't go to class. Most were actually canceled. Lunch that day was dead quiet in the cafeteria, all TV's were tuned to the news stations.

The roommate actually took off to NY the next day to help do whatever he could and/or what was needed.

I was at home having my house inspected for our first year warranty inspection. The inspector was out on our roof when I was watching TV and they were showing the first building burning.....The next thing I see is a second plane hit the second tower live on TV and I immediately knew this was gonna be a very bad day. I got up ran out the house and yelled to the guy to come down off the roof and see what waas on TV. It was important and he should be seeing it.

He came in and watched it for a while. When the news slowed down a little he ran out to finish his impection so he could go home. But he kept running back and forth to the TV to get updates.

My boss called knowing I was going to be on my way in to work and asked me to swing by the store on the way in to work and buy a small TV and rabbit ears so the employees could watch if they chose to. They sent us all home from work early, but for those who stayed the TV was there in front of his office. He let us watch the TV for days afterwards to continue to get updates.

I'll never forget that day. I'll never forget my mom calling in a panic and then as sheing talking about it they annouce the pentagon was hit as well, and then we heard that they had bombed the statehouse with a car bomb(which later turned out to be false).

Bless those who lost their lives, a loved one, a friend, collegue or other that day. Bless all those that came to those in need that day and the days and weeks following.

/salute

I'll never forget how a nation came together that day. For once we all saw past race, heritage, religion, polictical affiliation, rich or poor, etc etc etc. The way it should be. I only wish we would have all learned from that day and found a way to keep that train of thought alive.

United we stand.

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it too early to start this? I don't think so, so here goes. It will have been 5 years ago on Monday that one of the most tragic events in the USA's history occured. It is strange how time is flown. I am sure that almost everyone on here remembers where they were when they first heard the news or saw the coverage. I would like to use this thread for personal memories of where you were on that day when you first heard as well as personal tributes to lost love ones and others that lost their lives that day.

For me my story is simple. I was tired and barely awake in my 8th grade HISTORY class of all places. Our principal came in and whispered something to our teacher and the next thing I knew we were turning on the TV and watching history unfold before us. My teacher said he would not be able to teach the rest of the day he was so shook up.

Well thats my story. My heart goes out to all those who died and I am honored to call myself an American after the way the firemen and policemen of NYC and DC responded that day.

I love this picture as I have always had a great respect for our flag.

I'll leave you with lyrics to the Michael W. Smith song "There She Stands"

That is a wonderful song, the words are great, but when you hear him sing it, it is amazing, brought tears to my eyes. I haven't heard it in a few years, I should dig it out.

I was at work, and the person who sits in the cube next to me said a plane hit the world trade center, I didn't think mouch of it, the first reports were of a small plane, but when the second plane hit, I knew my life would never be the same, and I knew we were at war. For a few hours we mulled around work, but then they sent everyone home, and I watched TV for about 15 straight hours.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This story shows just how long I've been in college, but that's neither here nor there. Let's just say I left school for a while between then and now. And yes, this diehard IU fan goes to Purdue. Mostly.

I had just started my third year of college. For the first six weeks of the semester, I had to attend a mandatory two-hour seminar on Tuesday mornings at 8:30. So anyway, I met Kat for breakfast at 7:30. There was a television in the dining hall. Just as we left the room, we both stopped and noticed that a plane hand crashed in the World Trade Center. We both commented about how horrible an accident that was, but truth be told we didn't give it a whole lot of thought otherwise. I walked Kat back to her dorm (she went back to bed) and I went to my 8:30 completely unaware of what was transpiring.

Well, like I said, this seminar thing was mandatory. If you missed it, you automatically failed it. So when only 4 out of 35 people had showed up by 8:35, I began to worry. Then it seemed everyone showed up at once, and they were all talking a mile a minute. This is when I first heard something terrible had occurred. I hear that the White House had been bombed. Then Capitol Hill had been hit with a plane. New York City was in ruins. Of course, few truths were among the laundry list of calamities I heard, but that served to make the next two hours the longest of my life. All I could do was sit there and contemplate the present and possible future. Were we at war? Of course. What does that mean? How many people have died? Am I in danger right now?

When finally our time was up, I half walked-half ran back to Kat's dorm room to see if she'd heard the news. She was still asleep when I arrived. I turned on the television, looking to find the story, only to find it on every channel. There was no need to look. I think then that's when it finally dawned on me the significance of the morning's events. I remember thinking, "This is something so important that there is not one station airing its own programming. Wow." It seems stupid looking back on it, but I just couldn't get my head around it all at once, at least until that moment.

I called my parents to talk to them about it. The phone rang 16 times before my dad answered it. He'd been outside all morning working with the calves. My mom was still asleep (she worked 3rd shift). I told him to go turn on the tv. I think this scared him, because I've never heard my dad so quiet. We didn't talk much really.

Kat called her family as well, and the two of us sat in her room watching it all unfold before us. I tried to go to my 1:30 class, but as soon as I sat in the classroom, I looked around and decided this was a waste of my time. I walked over the the Union just to see people. There was at least 200 people crowded around the 81" tv downstairs. People were staring, crying, whispering--it was too damned quiet. I had to leave.

I went back to my dorm room, for whatever reason. Sitting on my desk was my copy of the New York Times I'd received that morning. I stared at it for a bit. I never read a single word of that day's paper.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Like DD, I was taking my sophomore GQE, and during one of the breaks the teacher who was proctoring the exam told us followed by a statement that made my blood boil: "Now to the next portion of the exam."

After we got done, we sat around a TV all day with our jaws dropped to the floor.
    That's all they care about.

**** ISTEP.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Man, I remember that day so distinctly. Almost a freak occurrence that I could follow it so closely.

We had a 2-day conference in Lebanon starting the next day that I was in charge of a large piece of. A friend of mine who was attending came down from Laporte the night before - that evening we lit a fire outside, cooked some steaks and sat there BS-ing. What's more, the sky was really clear and we spent a chunk of it watching airplane lights above us - we'd see some moving in a straight, slow line while others weaved(relatively) around. We postulated that AF pilots were out training - probably from Grissom but maybe not.

So the next morning comes. Usually I'm in the office by 7:30 but this day my friend goes to Lebanon for some committee meetings while I stay home and work on some stuff - the conf started at 11 AM and most of what I was doing came the 2nd day. So I have the Today Show on, not really watching, just background noise. They come on with a report that there's a fire in one of the WTC towers and speculate that a small plane may have accidently hit it. This perks my interest some and I sort of follow while they're talking about how no commercial route comes near them, they have extensive precautions against something like this happening with a big plane and it must be a small plane pilot who got messed up - but how could that happen on such a clear day? They didn't stay with that the whole time but bounce to other things and return to it.

The broadcast happened to be showing the towers when you see the 2nd plane hit. I mentally did a complete 180 and thought, "terrorists." Then the whole morning began to pass in a surreal sense for me - riveted to the broadcast but feeling like I was somehow disconnected. You just knew you were watching the world change before your eyes.

Around 9:30 or so I had a brief moment of panic and called my Dad. He boards horses in upstate NY and a lot of those boarders are college students. Now there's no reason for him to be hauling a horse to LI on Sept 11 - except sometimes a kid gets homesick, quits school and we run the horse back - and this was about that time. But he answered the phone and my first question was, "Are you watching this?"

Needless to say I didn't get a lot done on what I was working on but that was OK - some detail crap that probably didn't matter much. About 10:30 I left for Lebanon and when I get there everyone's watching the CNN broadcast that's on the TV sets sprinkled around the hotel.

Not sure to this day why we didn't cancel the conf and send everyone home - and we at least should have canceled the 2nd day. Day 1 was sort of "required" technical stuff while I was in charge of a bunch of breakout educational stuff the 2nd day.

What I regret now - never thought of it at the time - was not putting a tape in (I've e-mailed The Today Show asking about getting a copy of that broadcast but have never received a reply). I have about a dozen newspapers from the following couple of days and several magazines to remind myself of what that day was like. I knew then that I could never let myself forget what had happened - I would need to remember what we'd be fighting for. My Dad did the same thing with the Kennedy assassination. The most profound image I remember was from USA Today - on page 6A (just checked) they had a picture of people leaning out the windows for air as the fire burned in the N Tower. The sense of despair I feel when I look at it is immense - those folks were doomed. I also have a file on my computer titled, "Remember."

RIP E-Gar. I will never forget.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I was a Senior in High School. The year was getting into full swing, and about a week ago we'd had a bomb threat at the school.

So on Tuesday, September 11, when I was walking down the stairs to where my 3rd period was meeting for the day (Choir; were most of my friends were), I heard two kids say something like "I think it was a bomb". I didn't think much of it because of the week before, but I knew something was wrong when I turned to go down the last dozen steps to the main floor, and saw my friends staring to a TV in the corner of our room that you can't see from where I was standing.

I walked in a bit puzzled, and turned to see what everyone was reacting to. I see one of the World Trade Center towers burning. I knew nothing of the buildings, so I didn't even think "where's the other one?" It was already gone.

I can't remember if I asked questions to get filled in, or if someone just kinda told me a little at a time as we all watched pretty quietly, but soon I saw the reply of the 2nd plane hitting the tower, and just got goosebumps. In fact I just got them right now remembering it.

Soon I hear the Pentagon has been hit. There are rumors about something happening in Los Angeles. Another plane had crashed in Pennsylvania. And surrounding it all was the footage of horrified New Yorkers telling what they had just seen, and the footage of the towers collapsing (I saw the second tower collapse live). We were all stunned and horrified. We knew this meant war, but we didn't know what that truly meant. I remember saying to myself "please no nukes" repeatedly during the morning, because at the time I was afraid a nation had done this to us, and that we'd react with nuclear arms. It sounds silly now, but this was when as far as I was concerned nothing even close to this major had happened to the US militarily. I thought we were going to immediately raise hell in response, and possibly lead right to World War III. So needless to say I was very scared that day. I wasn't alone. It was just a devastated feeling for everyone all around. Emotions were just all over the place. For some of us we shifted between fear and anger. If there had been a military bus to ship us to wherever these *******s lived, several 17 year olds from New Castle, Indiana would have hopped on board that afternoon.

I remember also that my 4th period class (English) was being held in our large auditorium that day. My teacher hadn't seen any of it yet. I remember when he opened the door to let us in, people started telling and asking him about it. I remember I had a one word description that I grimly kind of muttered: "Horrible".

Past that, I remember discussing it with my friends at lunch, and I remember coming home and just being glued to the TV. My grandmother came over mid afternoon and I'll never forget this. She was about college-aged during Pearl Harbor. I asked her which was worse, and she without much pause said "This is."

For the rest of the night, I just remember being at home seeing replay after replay while commentary audio played on top of it discussing, analyzing, and predicting what would come next.

The odd part was going to get gas that evening with my mom. It just so happened her van was almost empty, so it need to get re-filled. But when we drove a couple blocks to Speedway, there was a line going down the street; the place was swamped. Just another way the day was so surreal and unusual.

The most amazing thing after 9/11 was over, was watching how united everyone was. For a short period of time, we put all the bull**** aside as a nation and just tried to be there for each other. Despite the sad nature of it all, it was wonderful in the sense of just letting the little stuff go and being human beings.

Now, we're more divided than we've ever been in my lifetime, and it saddens me.

FYI, for anyone interested, CNN will be showing their entire broadcast all day on MOnday from the original 9/11 attacks. It will be uncut and unedited. I believe it will be starting at 8:15 shortly before the first plane hit. I have three classes that day but I will be watching when I am in my dorm.

At the time I was working for RCA so as I walked in to the front lobby
    there on the Widescreen TV was the first building smoking , a plane had crashed , a few people had gathered. I had got to my desk for just a few minutes and we then heard the second plane had hit...

There was that hushed silence that you can feel in the pit of your stomach.
    We all went into the Cafe to watch CNN as you could hardly believe what you were seeing and hearing. Then hearing the Pentagon was hit, my first throught was who's next ?

I too was on dead empty that day, and there was gas station right next door but lines were so terrible everywhere, like something I have never seen.

I did not have enough to drive to my second job in Carmel, so I just drove home that day.
    The whole time thinking, today's events will change how we look at our own safety and the feeling that nothing could ever happen "here".

Why Not Us ?

FYI, for anyone interested, CNN will be showing their entire broadcast all day on MOnday from the original 9/11 attacks. It will be uncut and unedited. I believe it will be starting at 8:15 shortly before the first plane hit. I have three classes that day but I will be watching when I am in my dorm.
    Excellent! Thank you very much for saying this or I would not have known! I have a DVR and can set it right now! I've always wanted to have a copy of that.

*edit* I found out it's not what it sounds like:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/07/911.pipeline/

It's being offered online if you're a subscriber to their "pipeline", a streaming video service.

Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Excellent! Thank you very much for saying this or I would not have known! I have a DVR and can set it right now! I've always wanted to have a copy of that.

*edit* I found out it's not what it sounds like:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/07/911.pipeline/

It's being offered online if you're a subscriber to their "pipeline", a streaming video service.

Nevermind.
    Well thats odd. However I know what I saw on tv the other day so I guess I would say it is worth a shot to at least flip on the dvr and see. I mean it can't hurt to just flip it on at 8 am and see if thats what it is. They definetely made the commercial sound as if it would be on the actual CNN channel so I will be watching just in case.

Well thats odd. However I know what I saw on tv the other day so I guess I would say it is worth a shot to at least flip on the dvr and see. I mean it can't hurt to just flip it on at 8 am and see if thats what it is. They definetely made the commercial sound as if it would be on the actual CNN channel so I will be watching just in case.
    Yeah, that's a good idea, and in fact I have still set it to record the entire morning of CNN.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

What I regret now - never thought of it at the time - was not putting a tape in (I've e-mailed The Today Show asking about getting a copy of that broadcast but have never received a reply). I have about a dozen newspapers from the following couple of days and several magazines to remind myself of what that day was like. I knew then that I could never let myself forget what had happened - I would need to remember what we'd be fighting for. My Dad did the same thing with the Kennedy assassination. The most profound image I remember was from USA Today - on page 6A (just checked) they had a picture of people leaning out the windows for air as the fire burned in the N Tower. The sense of despair I feel when I look at it is immense - those folks were doomed. I also have a file on my computer titled, "Remember."

RIP E-Gar. I will never forget.
    I actually did this. I recorded live events all day for several days. Like everyone I was rivited to news.

I also recorded the Presidents speaches including the speech before Congress.

Unfortunatly I didn't keep any of it. I don't know why. I guess I got so saturated with it I couldn't imagine ever watching it.

I gotta tell ya, I saw World Trade Center when it came out. Brought back the day like I felt it 5 years ago. Right now, I'm listening to the Howard Stern Show's broadcast from 9/11. It's crazy, I totally forgot how everyone didn't know what the hell was happening.
    AKA Sactolover05

On the morning of 9/11, I got a call from my mom, saying "Wake up! Somebody just flew a plane into the World Trade Center!" And I lay in bed, thinking "Osama bin Laden just hit the World Trade Center. I wonder if the CIA is hiring."

I had been in the midst of preparing an article on bin Laden, that I was going to ship to several magazines and say "Keep this on file. When bin Laden attacks us next, you can go to print with this the next day." It was at a friend's house for proofreading. By the time I got it back, all of the news agencies had their best people doing research, so my window was closed. So much for that career.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

MSNBC has been replaying the broadcast from the Today show from that morning. This is the first time I've ever seen this "live", and it's even more chilling than I had imagined.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

I just can't imagine how it was to actually be there, in New York, when this happened. I respect every individual...
    AKA Sactolover05

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    MSNBC has been replaying the broadcast from the Today show from that morning. This is the first time I've ever seen this "live", and it's even more chilling than I had imagined.
    I'm a little pissed. I set up CNN and FOXNEWS to record on my DVR this morning, and it ends up being MSNBC that does what I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I just can't imagine how it was to actually be there, in New York, when this happened. I respect every individual...
    The pentagon has since been re-built, but seeing the pentagon on that day as I drove past it, I just cant put that into words......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!