Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 79

Thread: Does anybody even care about....

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,816

    Default Does anybody even care about....

    Shawne Williams???

    I don't think I've ever seen a first round pick with such low discussion. Our second round pick is getting far more talking points. Is it because nobody cares about Williams, have no faith in him, don't like him or just think it will be a long while before he is ready?

    I saw him on NBAtv the other day doing an interview at the NBA store, he was there shooting his rookie card shot, & I'll say this he looks bulked up from what I saw in clips of him.

    I also was very impressed with his demeanor in the interview. He said he was taking Larry Birds words to heart (Larry told him to shoot 300+ jump shots a day) & that he was going to do everything he could do to get ready to play right away.

    Not really what I expected to be honest with you.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. #2
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    I just don't know if I should expect him to do or be anything or not, to be honest. He seemed thin and perimeter based, which is fine if he's a 3, but not a 4. James White sounds more ready and more what we need, so like most my thoughts have been on him when I think about who we drafted.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    Until there are clips of him on youtube with R. Kelly playing in the background, I don't think he's worth anything.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    His first name should have been Marcus.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  5. #5
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    He is at least a year away, but he will be talked about. He will be an amazing player.

  6. #6
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Guest

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    I'm excited about him. I liked that pick.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    he's a year or two away from cracking the rotation, which is why i don't think many ppl are talking about him. on the other hand, white has a good chance of getting some PT this year, which is why he is talked about.

    from what i've heard, shawne has a ton of potential. he's got some great mentors and comptetion at the forward spots from harrington, jo, and granger. time will tell i guess.

  8. #8
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    I guess I'm looking at him as a project, and I have a hard time getting excited about "projects" any more.

    But, he does seem to be saying and doing the right things.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  9. #9

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    This is a good question.

    I think the way Hicks does. Plus, right now I'm putting Shawne Williams in the same mental compartment as Kenny Williams. As Doug says, he's a project.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  10. #10
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    think its several things, most of which are already mentioned above.

    1) He's a project (and he'd be best served by spending the next season or two in the NBDL instead of being a "warm" body for shootarounds and the occasional practice session.)

    2) Our coach has a history of severly limiting the roles for rookies. Sure you can argue that Granger got minutes last season - mostly becasue of Artest's trade demands and JO's injuries. He also spent most of last season at PF (which makes the Granger @ SG discussion odd to me).

    3) We have significant talent ahead of him on the depth chart. Who's minutes are you cutting back to play this kid? Granger? No. Harrington? No. JO? No. David/Jeff? No. There aren't any frontcourt minutes available.

    4) This move seems to be a "Larry Bird" move, and the other moves allegedly attributed to Bird don't exactly scream "TRUST ME ON THIS!!"

    I keep looking at the number of young (high school, college freshmen and sophomores) taken as mid-first rounders that turn into busts or just underwhelming players for whatever reason. (Dion Glover, anyone?) I think the odds of this kid not panning out in the NBA are pretty high. And the odds of him not panning out for the Pacers are significantly higher, because of our coach and frontcourt depth.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #11
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Guest

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    Maybe Shawne Williams will turn out to be Al Harrington part 2.

  12. #12
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think I've ever seen a first round pick with such low discussion. Our second round pick is getting far more talking points. Is it because nobody cares about Williams, have no faith in him, don't like him or just think it will be a long while before he is ready?
    Personally, I've talked more about White because I saw him quite a bit in summer league and was impressed. Williams may end up as a good pick, but I haven't seen him and so I can't get too impressed.

    I will say he looked pretty decent in the limited SL minutes he got, but I just need more time before I'm going to get excited about him.

  13. #13
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    I think the low down on Shawne was, a kid who has a lot of natural talent and tools at his disposal, but caught between a few positions.

    Played an extra year at a prep school before Memphis.

    Can put the ball on the floor and had decent range.

    But as far as the mental, physical, playing defense etc.for some reason, was not able to put it all together consistently just yet, but had the ability.

    However an overall "good" kid atitude wise.

    I know especially around these parts, potential and upside are four letter words, but I have feeling Shawne should prove to be an exception, given the chance. Although I do think it will be a process not too much of an immediate impact.

    Why Not Us ?


  14. #14
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally, I've talked more about White because I saw him quite a bit in summer league and was impressed. Williams may end up as a good pick, but I haven't seen him and so I can't get too impressed.

    I will say he looked pretty decent in the limited SL minutes he got, but I just need more time before I'm going to get excited about him.
    Ditto.

    I have never watched him play aside from serving as background scenary to the Rodney Carney show. And I put very little stock in anything any scouting sites or draft reports ever have to say about people. They all pretty much seem to get their info from one initial report and just repeat whatever the other guy had to say. Very, very little creative thought seems to go into these things.

    Physically, he looks like an NBA player. But so do lots of other guys that became nobodies.

    Basically, I haven't talked about him because I have no opinion. Yet.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  15. #15
    Member indytoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,503

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the low down on Shawne was, a kid who has a lot of natural talent and tools at his disposal, but caught between a few positions.

    Played an extra year at a prep school before Memphis.

    Can put the ball on the floor and had decent range.

    But as far as the mental, physical, playing defense etc.for some reason, was not able to put it all together consistently just yet, but had the ability.

    However an overall "good" kid atitude wise.

    I know especially around these parts, potential and upside are four letter words, but I have feeling Shawne should prove to be an exception, given the chance. Although I do think it will be a process not too much of an immediate impact.
    I think this is pretty accurate. I know I can't look at Williams without thinking "Bender 2.0."

    IndyToad
    The coolest field trip ever

  16. #16
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,577

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    I'm not as surprised.....as most of us...outside of Jermaniac...proabably haven't even heard of Shawne before the draft...much less during the draft. The most that I heard on him was from Bird's post-draft interview of him on ESPN.

    Like any other rookie....he's a project......its just strange that he's viewed ( at least from a PD perspective ) as more of a project then White would be.

    Maybe if Shawne played more during the Summer League.....or had some highlight reels on YouTube ( as btowncolts suggests )....we would have a better handle of his game.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    I for one look forward to seeing the kids progress over the next two years. I just think it is going to be hard for either of our rookies to carve out any consistent minutes this year. There is just too much talent at the 2, 3 and 4 spots in front of them. If either crack the rotation it will be because they earned it that is for sure.

    And I just dont buy the "Our coach has a history of severly limiting the roles for rookies" theme that Jay has repeatedly harped on over the Summer. Granger got to play, Harrison got a regular opportunity, James Jones got a regular opportunity. So I am not sure what history you are referring to, Jay, because I just dont see it based on the time Rick has been the coach of the Pacers.

    Those 3 guys mentioned are the only rookies that Rick has dealt with during his tenure here. And all have been given ample opportunity based on their skill level, development and the quality of the players playing in front of them.

    Honestly, what more could Rick have done with the 3 rookies he has been given to work with up to this point as the head coach of the Pacers?

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    Oh I left out Saras as a rookie. Again, given ample opportunity.

  19. #19
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    I never really freak out about any rookie.

    I'm mostly freaked out that all of these young players are going to be coached by Mr. "I'd-Rather-Play-a-Less-Talented-Veteran-Than-Build-The-Future-Of-The-Team" Carlisle.

    I like Carlisle more than most, but he better get an extension and a change of tune. If either doesn't happen, you can forget talking about the rookies and start talking about *next* year.

  20. #20
    Never Give Up aero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,343
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    Id talk about the kid more but i know nothing about him, i know alot about James "Flight" White since he was from Cincy so i talk about him more (even though i havent really been talking about him here on PD)
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

  21. #21
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not as surprised.....as most of us...outside of Jermaniac...proabably haven't even heard of Shawne before the draft...much less during the draft.
    May 19th, 2006 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, the two players I would be ecstatic if we were able steal at 17 would be.

    Ronnie Brewer for sure I think he is everything you can ask for if your the Pacers. Defensive intensity , nose for the ball, good handles, can go to the glass. He reminds me of a combo of Maggette/ Artest .. skill set wise that is .. He has been though slowing rising on the Draft Boards so Indiana may have to trade up.....

    or Shawne Williams... HUGE upside, good size versatile like a Granger but I think he is more of a true Swingman , more of a natural shooter and ball handler..


    I think there were some that follow College and all the Pre-Draft Hype , that knew of him. But yes for the most part he is still not a widely known player, due in part to being on a deep Memphis club.

    Why Not Us ?


  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm mostly freaked out that all of these young players are going to be coached by Mr. "I'd-Rather-Play-a-Less-Talented-Veteran-Than-Build-The-Future-Of-The-Team" Carlisle.
    Here is another one..... where has Rick done this as the coach of the Pacers? Please give me some examples in case I am missing something, because I sure dont see it.

    He played Granger, he has played Harrison, he has played Saras and he played Fred and James Jones. Those are the only youngsters that have been on our team during Rick's tenure. Am I missing something?

  23. #23
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Guest

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    I think he probably means the whole Michael Curry thing but I disagree because Rick's job is to coach the team and get wins, not build a team.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    I think that the reason so few of us talk much about Shawne Williams is because he is a big question mark.

    He has talent, he has the total package. As long as he works hard on the court and in the weight room he will be fine with his skills and body. I'm more worried about the mental aspects of the game from him. He is an unproven talent and it will be 3 years before we really have a good idea of what type of player he will be.

    Williams is listed at 225 pounds. His weight isn't a big issue for me, it's his strength. Any person should be able to bench press atleast their body weight and I thought I remember reading that Shawne couldn't even bench 200 at the pre-draft camp. So his strength is a big issue for me.

    Then his experience/on court awarness/focus needs to improve. But Williams is still young, only 20 years old, so I am not worried about this. I think that after he gets more experience this will get better.

    Williams should be a fine player. He just won't be getting any playing time atleast in his rookie season, nor should he because he isn't ready for playing time in the NBA yet. Just give the kid some time, my first reaction was that I hated this pick but it has grown on me. Just be paient with the kid and give him tell.

  25. #25
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does anybody even care about....

    He played Granger out of position and more than he wanted to because he was forced to (Ron's trade demands and acquiring Peja, plus JO's injury.)

    I still got the impression Rick was holding Danny back.

    Rick won't give Harrison enough leeway to play through his foul problems.

    We're not talking about whether or not he'll give the rookies a few minutes per game. Clearly he's doing that.

    He won't commit to making these young players a key part of his system. We sure could've used another big man against Detroit in 2004 that could spread the floor and play a little defense. Perhaps Primoz Brezec?

    Even if these guys get nominal playing time, Rick is not making a commitment to them. And that hurts the team in the long run. That's what many of us have been saying all along. The issue is Rick's lack of vision.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •