Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: 2 sides of Sarunas

  1. #1

    Post 2 sides of Sarunas

    On the other side of the Atlantic Ocean he's a national hero in at least two nations, a bona-fide celebrity fresh off a highly publicized marriage to a famous model, owner of a new endorsement deal with a major ...

    More...

  2. #2

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Looks like we need him to be a starter and see if he can keep this performance up!

  3. #3
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Wishful thinking?
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  4. #4

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Saras don't play for Lith and he creates his shoes and expects good sellings in Lithuania? Interesting.

    He isn't so popular as he thinks he is here in Lithuania at the moment.


    And latvians ask: "why nobody plays for Lith, Saras, others?"

    That's not good for business too i think.


    Maybe in Izrael he's a god...
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

    - Albert Einstein

  5. #5

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    He'll do just fine, eventually. We just need to lower expectations a bit.

    "I'm looking forward to it," he said. "It looks like the team has been put together to go in a different direction."
    Jasikevicius excelled when he started at point guard last season, but that only happened in four games.

  6. #6
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    I think he'll do much better...no one would've said anything if he was fresh out of college...I seriously think the NBA schedule had a huge impact on him. I think that Rick recognized that and couldn't play him as much.

  7. #7
    Kestas
    Guest

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he'll do much better...no one would've said anything if he was fresh out of college...I seriously think the NBA schedule had a huge impact on him. I think that Rick recognized that and couldn't play him as much.
    serisously, think of it soberly. don't read the Pacers website.... can a player, who had 60+ games in club competitions (not counting preparation games), where he had to perform every match being very important for his team (don't forget hard trainings twice a day, every day) PLUS yearly summer camps in the LTU NT (gruelling training again, with even biger pressure to perform) would get tired in the NBA? playing less mpg than ever before in his pro career? if that's the case, then Pacers should fire all of their fitness trainers (or are those called coaches as well?) asap (although if you really want to help Saras' preparation, which I doubt you should, get a new head coach )

  8. #8

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    serisously, think of it soberly. don't read the Pacers website.... can a player, who had 60+ games in club competitions (not counting preparation games), where he had to perform every match being very important for his team (don't forget hard trainings twice a day, every day) PLUS yearly summer camps in the LTU NT (gruelling training again, with even biger pressure to perform) would get tired in the NBA? playing less mpg than ever before in his pro career? if that's the case, then Pacers should fire all of their fitness trainers (or are those called coaches as well?) asap (although if you really want to help Saras' preparation, which I doubt you should, get a new head coach )
    I think the NBA is more intense. The number of flights in the NBA is simply non-comparable to the Euroleague weekly/bi-weekly trips. This non-stopping travel mode is grinding.
    Add to this the fact that each game is played in high intensity, against great players. This is really not like the Israeli league... Maccabi was destroying most of the teams there with little effort. Most of the league games were not important at all, and in many of them he did not have to play much. Euroleague games are only on a weekly basis.

    Even Sarunas says: "I have to prepare my body for a tougher season, for a more intense season. It's not as intense in Europe as it is in the NBA."

    Are you suggesting he is lying? I don't think he's the guy for excuses, IMO he is stating it as a fact that needs to be addressed.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can a player, who had 60+ games in club competitions (not counting preparation games), where he had to perform every match being very important for his team (don't forget hard trainings twice a day, every day) PLUS yearly summer camps in the LTU NT (gruelling training again, with even biger pressure to perform) would get tired in the NBA?
    If you believe the words that Sarunas himself said, then the answer is YES:

    "I have to prepare my body for a tougher season, for a more intense season. It's not as intense in Europe as it is in the NBA."
    -Sarunas
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  10. #10

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    ^^^^^

    Kestas has been saying that for quite a while, and now we have Sarunas' word that the NBA is tougher. Kestas, give it a rest.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  11. #11
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    there are hopeful signs. One obstacle to his playing time, Anthony Johnson, has been traded, although other point guards have been acquired. The planned change to a faster pace also will be better suited to his skills and personality.

    He should find it easier to get off shots in transition, and make better use of his passing skills. A demonstrative player by nature, he'll also have more opportunities to unleash his emotions.

    "I'm looking forward to it," he said. "It looks like the team has been put together to go in a different direction."
    Jasikevicius excelled when he started at point guard last season, but that only happened in four games. He expected to come off the bench but didn't expect to play shooting guard so frequently, something coach Rick Carlisle was forced to do after Ron Artest's trade request required Stephen Jackson to move to small forward.

    With more forwards on hand, Carlisle should be able to leave Jackson at shooting guard this season. Still, he's leaving all options open for Jasikevicius and everyone else.

    "I'm reluctant to designate anything, other than to say I think Jermaine (O'Neal) will start," Carlisle said. "I just think it will be real competitive.
    "Is Sarunas a big part of the equation? Absolutely. He does some things that are unique and that we need on this team. I don't want to pigeonhole him into a backup position. You never know, he might wind up starting.
    But I don't want to say he's in the rotation when there are other guys, too."
    Jasikevicius' frustration led to offseason rumors in Israel that he wanted to return to Tel Aviv, where fans were filling online message boards with pleas for his return.

    He says no, he's conquered that part of the world.
    "I'm thinking more along the lines of the NBA," he said. "I think I'd really like to make my mark in the NBA. That's the only thing left in my mind."
    Jasikevicius also has been the subject of whispered trade rumors for a second-round draft pick, something Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh denies.
    "That's total B.S.," Walsh said. "He's coming back and he's going to play. Period."
    Team president Larry Bird, who pursued Jasikevicius throughout Europe, remains confident he didn't make a mistake in signing the player to a three-year, $12 million contract.
    "It will be a different year for him," Bird said. "He's got skills and he can play."
    .
    Later that month, in Lithuania, Adidas conducted a news conference to announce the release of a shoe bearing Jasikevicius' No. 3, and nickname, Saras. It's scheduled for release next spring in Lithuania, Latvia and Israel and will be available only in Pacers colors.

    Sounds like a commitment. Jasikevicius hopes to win over Indiana fans, too, to make the next couple of years "The Time of My Life" in a new home.Not only for himself, but for the team that disappointed so many last season.

    "I heard over the years so many amazing things about Indiana fans, but we didn't sell out the playoff games so we obviously lost the connection with the fans," he said. "We have to get that back and you do that by playing good, entertaining basketball. If we just give fans something to cheer for I think they'll come back and come back quick."
    Making a point
    Sarunas Jasikevicius played three roles for the Pacers last season -- starting at point guard, starting at shooting guard and coming off the bench. Judging by his stats, there's no doubt where the former European star was most comfortable:

    Role _________________G Min Pts FG% 3FG% Asst.
    Starting point guard ____4 31.8 13.3 .571 .727 5.8
    Starting shooting guard _11 26.9 7.1 .342 .289 3.6
    Reserve______________60 18.9 6.9 .394 .361 2.7
    Some interesting quotes in here.

    Why Not Us ?


  12. #12
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .



    Some interesting quotes in here.
    the most interesting part as read thorugh the now (in)famous decoder ring, stolen from DW's office by none other then bball:

    --beginning of decoded message--

    "we tried our best to get rid of him, but found no takers, not even for a second round pick, now since we know our fans are not to thrilled about him anymore, and they were in a sense about AJ, we need to sell him to the people out there, and sell the idea that IF Tins goes down, Sara is more then capable of taking over (*cough* *cough*)."

    "In all probablity this one will be the reason I can not retire yet because now I have to rehabillitate Legend next door as well, so sell him boys, and let's all pray he will be a half decent backup"



    --end of decoded message--
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  13. #13
    Expect Delays blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,810

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas



    <--------------
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

  14. #14
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    "I'm reluctant to designate anything, other than to say I think Jermaine (O'Neal) will start," Carlisle said.

    GOD

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the most interesting part as read thorugh the now (in)famous decoder ring, stolen from DW's office by none other then bball:

    --beginning of decoded message--

    "we tried our best to get rid of him, but found no takers, not even for a second round pick, now since we know our fans are not to thrilled about him anymore, and they were in a sense about AJ, we need to sell him to the people out there, and sell the idea that WHEN Tins goes down, Sara is more then capable of taking over (*cough* *cough*)."

    "In all probablity this one will be the reason I can not retire yet because now I have to rehabillitate Legend next door as well, so sell him boys, and let's all pray he will be a half decent backup"



    --end of decoded message--
    Fixed.

  16. #16
    Kestas
    Guest

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^^^^^

    Kestas has been saying that for quite a while, and now we have Sarunas' word that the NBA is tougher. Kestas, give it a rest.
    Sarunas said one sentence using the word "intense".

    I have the mind of my own and am capable to analyse things. besides, I'm reading reports all over the place actally supporting my views.

    which one is more important? Sarunas saying "it's more intense", o all signs on earth showing he had one of the easiest seasons ever? besides, do these things contradict each other? "intense" could mean that there are more games, which is very true, obviously, while I was talking about how much he actually has to work for it, how many hours he spent trainign and how many hours he was competing.
    Macas had this "intense" season last year in the Hornets - if he wasn't working out completely by himself, he would come home fat and totally out of shape for all of his remainign life. Saras played much more, but still less than ever before, imho. and trained less as well as far as I understand it.

    and summing it up, because Saras declined the invitation to play for LTu NT, because he was talking to American media and because he wants to be loved in NBA while also remaining consistent with his other decisions, I can't see him saying anyhing else but the thing he said. from my point of view, it was a typical clishe statement to keep people like yourself happy

    although, I can see that he could find the issue of being tossed arround or not playing at all as "tough". I completely agree with the point, which is made at the end of the linked article. I don't believe he'll ever be a good SG in NBA.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    although, I can see that he could find the issue of being tossed arround or not playing at all as "tough". I completely agree with the point, which is made at the end of the linked article. I don't believe he'll ever be a good SG in NBA.
    Yes, he is only PG and never SG. Carlisle made a mistake putting him as SG in most of his games, even if maybe at that moment he thought it's the best choice.

    He can perform good only in PG position and that knows everyone here in Europe. And sometimes he needs the freedom to improvise. Otherwise he won't be better than last year. No chances.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

    - Albert Einstein

  18. #18

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    He didn't play SG because Carlisle wanted him there. He played SG because nobody else was available, and he is an excellent shooter.

    There's a very strong, very clear trend that show that Sarunas' play steadily dropped off over the course of the season. It happens to every rookie. It's called "hitting the wall", and it usually happens around game 60. Ever heard of it?

    I think he'll be much improved next year, and assuming he can handle the on-the-ball pressure, he'll challenge Tinsley for the starting job. Having said that, to say that it's Carlisle's fault that Sarunas' play time dropped off over the course of the year is ludicrous.

  19. #19
    Kestas
    Guest

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a very strong, very clear trend that show that Sarunas' play steadily dropped off over the course of the season. It happens to every rookie. It's called "hitting the wall", and it usually happens around game 60. Ever heard of it?
    Are you joking? you people are mentioning this wall in every second post..
    anyways, I still doubt it. first of all, he is no rookie at this level. you can tell whatever you want - he isn't.
    secondly, .. actually, nevermind.
    I think that if he indeed hit something, then it could have been due to dissapintment. no PG duties, dissapointing team microclimate, coach calling plays, numerous, yet sometimes pointless games that do not pick up till the last quarter, jumpy fans and media that expect "right" answers to their questions - yeah, this could have been his "rookie wall"

  20. #20
    Member tdubb03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Saras talked to the media? I really don't think I've ever heard him talk.

  21. #21

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you joking? you people are mentioning this wall in every second post..
    anyways, I still doubt it. first of all, he is no rookie at this level. you can tell whatever you want - he isn't.
    secondly, .. actually, nevermind.
    I think that if he indeed hit something, then it could have been due to dissapintment. no PG duties, dissapointing team microclimate, coach calling plays, numerous, yet sometimes pointless games that do not pick up till the last quarter, jumpy fans and media that expect "right" answers to their questions - yeah, this could have been his "rookie wall"
    Amazing, you prefer BS even when you have Sarunas spelling it out..

  22. #22
    Kestas
    Guest

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by Seed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amazing, you prefer BS even when you have Sarunas spelling it out..
    I'm just being reallistic. I suppose so does Sarunas, but I can see you are unable to grasp this possibility (of Sarunas telling simply what the man questioning wanted to hear).

  23. #23
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Good gracious.

    This team isn't built around Saras. He needs to perform in whatever role the coach asks him to play.

    Danny Granger isn't a PF, either, but he spent most of his rookie year out of position.

    Even Saras admitted that he wasn't prepared for a full NBA season. No rookie is. And Saras was a rookie, no other way around that.

    Our team has enough baggage to take care of than to worry about an overhyped, underachieving bench player who spend most of last season whining about his situation, and also trying to appease his adoring fans who can't seem to get it into his head that he's nothing more than a bench/ role-player in the NBA.

    Its too bad RoboHicks didn't know to put this article in the official Saras thread.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  24. #24
    Kestas
    Guest

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He needs to perform in whatever role the coach asks him to play.

    Danny Granger isn't a PF, either, but he spent most of his rookie year out of position.

    Even Saras admitted that he wasn't prepared for a full NBA season. No rookie is. And Saras was a rookie, no other way around that.
    Good gracious!

    Saras isn't Granger just like you aren't me. I mean tsuch comparrison in this context is not very smart, to put it the mild way..
    and if you still wanna live in your dream that Saras was not prepared and so on, good for you. but it's very likely you're wrong, simple as that.

  25. #25
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: 2 sides of Sarunas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good gracious!

    Saras isn't Granger just like you aren't me. I mean tsuch comparrison in this context is not very smart, to put it the mild way..
    and if you still wanna live in your dream that Saras was not prepared and so on, good for you. but it's very likely you're wrong, simple as that.
    You do realize that if it that is wrong (the excuse of not being prepared enough / hitting a rookie wall) then the outcome/conclusion can only be that he's a scrub player that this year will be outperformed by (among others) Orient Greene and Snap Hunter?

    It would however fit in the category "overpaid" contracts the Pacers always seem to have a few on the payroll of.

    Let's keep it all nice and hope he will perform up to par this year, as in being a good backup.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •