Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bonzi likely to sign a one year deal (somewhere) {Sacbee.com}

Default Bonzi likely to sign a one year deal (somewhere) {Sacbee.com}

Bonzi Likely To Sign One Year Deal

28th August, 2006 - 12:44 am

Sacramento Bee - Bonzi Wells is reportedly having a difficult time finding a team to offer him a multi-year deal after turning down Sacramento's five-year $38 million offer earlier this summer.

He will likely be forced to sign a one-year deal
    Bonzi watch -- Wells and his agent, William Phillips, are still waiting for a taker. Having rejected the Kings' offer of a five-year, $38 million deal earlier this summer, a move that looks to have burned them both, it appears the shooting guard will have to settle for a one-year deal somewhere. The money has dried up quickly across the NBA landscape.
    SacBee.Com

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bonzi likely to sign a one year deal (somewhere) {Sacbee.com}

Ouch...kinda sounds like what happened to Jax when he turned down the S A offer.

Hell, let's pick him up for 1 year and see how he does. Not like we're going to win anything this year anyway. Why not take the chance?

If we can get Jax out of here for the draft pick we need then Bonzi will be a welcome edition to the team.
    My Dream Team

PG - A.Iverson
    SG - K.Bryant
    SF - R.Artest
    PF - J.O'Neal
    C - D.Howard

I'd be willing to sign him to a one year deal. What do we have to lose

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be willing to sign him to a one year deal. What do we have to lose
    The only problem with signing Bonzi to a one year deal is that he would be trying to impress (on and off the court) as much as possible so that he can secure a multi-year contract next year. As for improving off the court, certainly anyone would welcome a player with that attitude. The problem is that he would want his minutes, you know, to get his points, etc.... Being a good person off the court will only get you so far, you still have to produce on the court.

That could cause a serious problem. I really have a hard time seeing him being content with very limited minutes.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

yeah a 1 year low ball deal i could go for it but anything more then that no thanks, and yeah id be up for trading SJax for a #1 pick....but i doubt any team in the NBA would be stupid enough to do that
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question, if a player rejects an offer from his current team, can he go back to them and take/ask back for the deal? or as long as he rejects it its off the table for good?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd think about it, but would probably turn it down.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    Question, if a player rejects an offer from his current team, can he go back to them and take/ask back for the deal? or as long as he rejects it its off the table for good?
    That's up to the team (there is no rule against it). But chances are, if the player has to come back due to lack of interest, then the team has all the power and wouldn't likely agree to the same deal as prior when the player had the power of other teams potentially taking him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    He can always go back and ask for it again, but his bargaining power isn't very great at that point.

I'd take Bonzi for a year to start at SF and have Danny back him up. We can sign and trade him next year or just let him go if wants too much money or he's too much of a problem or whatnot. Danny and Shawne will be one year improved by then anyways and they are our future at the forward spot...not to mention Marquis and Flight's ability to swing to the 3.

I see a lack of depth issue at SF. We have lots of guys that swing and play SF but Danny is the only who really is a true SF.

And then the versatility that this team would have with lineups (which RC loves) would be absolutely ridiculous.

However, Donnie has seemed very adamant that we are not interested. Then again, Bonzi Wells at 4-5 mil for 1 year? He isn't worth Jared Jeffries money for a fourth of the time?

I'd be fine with it, as long as we moved Jack first.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, if you brought him in, you would have to move Jackson.

Both of those players on the team would mean disaster. One, I could handle.

The following is a test of the Emergency Knucklehead System....eeeEeeeeeeeeEEEEEeeee....:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ht=bonzi+wells

I actually was posting this in another thread, but decided to give it a thread by itself because Bonzi's name keeps coming up in different threads as a guy wee should go after (oft-times in tandem with getting Brad back.)

The fact that some of you even type his name astounds me. After the wake of what Ron wrought, you guys would want to bring Bonzi here?

You guys can NOT be serious??

This is the guy who wouldn't leave the scene of a bar fight and was yelling obscenities at the officers.

This is the guy who was such a problem child for a great guy and coach like Hubie Brown that he ended being so disruptive to the team thatg they traded him for lesser value just to unload him.

He spit on Danny Ferry

Started a fight (threw the first punch) with Chris Mills and got suspended for two games.

Cussed out his coach in Portland in the middle of a game and got suspended.

Let's see...he was suspended for striking and abusing an official....suspended in last year's playoffs...got suspended for giving the finger to a fan...suspended for being the fight at Golden State.

On top of it, from our own local paper:

"From the Indianapolis Star:

Color seems to matter to Portland's Bonzi Wells, the Muncie, Ind.,
    native who played at Ball State. He's been heard insulting white
    players on at least a few occasions dating to last season.

San Antonio's Danny Ferry said Wells called him a "(expletive) honky"
    more than once earlier this season, in a game in which Wells spit in
    Ferry's face.

Golden State's Troy Murphy says Wells has called him a "cracker." Last
    April, Dallas guard Nick Van Exel said Wells was calling the
    Mavericks' bench "a bunch of soft-a---- white boys."

Russ Granik and Stu Jackson of the NBA office both said they were not
    aware of the allegations, but are concerned.

The Portland Tribune recently detailed many of Wells' legal problems
    and other transgressions from high school and college, along with
    eight incidents during his five seasons with the Trail Blazers."

Let me put it this way, if he was white and throwing arounf racial stuff like that, what would you think?

Playing for Jerry West in a great organization like that one and under non-abrasive coaches like Hubie Brown and Mike Fratello, Bonzi had this to say- ""*?&% it. They can trade me, all I care about is the 15th and 30th of the month (pay day)."

NooOOoow...here he is in a contract year, playing his best basketball. Hmm...I wonder why?!

The guy has been disruptive on every team he's been on. The only reason he hasn't pulled anything in Sacramento is that he's not a moron. Contract year=play well=get paid=start acting like a jerk again.

Is that how it goes? Ignore chemistry? Just go by talent? Didn't we fall into that trap with Ron? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

Did Ron teach you guys anything?

If this had been an actual emergency, any Pacer's fan who even remotely considered Bonzi as a Pacer would be asked to turn in their tickets and Pacers paraphenalia and would be forever shunned as a Pacer's fan. Remember this was only a test. We now take you back to this less than scintilatting discussion.....
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Yes, if you brought him in, you would have to move Jackson.

Both of those players on the team would mean disaster. One, I could handle.
    The idea does have some merit, certainly from a dollars and cents point of view.

I don't know who you would trade Jax to or for though. Assuming he is traded , Pacers would save an estimated 21 million the next three years.

You get Bonzi who is playing for a contract, so should be on his best behavior. There is also the possibility if need be moving him before the deadline this year, either way he comes off your cap after this year.

Edit: I was wondering when Skaut Etch was going to find this thread

Why Not Us ?

Give him a 1 year deal. This is crazy, dont wait Larry do it.

If he misbehaves then we let him go...it only serves as a year to season our young guys who aren't read quite yet.

And do we have to trade Jack? "Because I can't handle both of them knuckleheads" isn't a great reason. For all we know they could have fantastic on the court chemistry. If it all works out then I think you have to pencil us in as contenders for the EC. If not, we drop Bonzi at the end of his contract.

I agree with Jermainiac here, Bonzi Wells on a contract year for the MLE is a no-brainer.

I just don't see the logic here......why in the world would the Pacers bring in a documented head case after ridding themselves of Artest? What would the Fieldhouse be like after the first incident with bonzi? The fans were very unhappy last year, as quoted by TPTB in several media pieces. Do they have the balls to roll the dice on a player like Bonzi? Can the payoff really be worth that kind of risk?

Also, bringing in Bonzi would simply stunt the growth of other players (Granger, et al)....why would you want to do that? Half of this board was totally against bringing in Al if it meant stunting the growth of Granger........now Bonzi? Ugh..........

My vote is a "hell no"....this has to be a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by FSU-IU View Post
    I just don't see the logic here......why in the world would the Pacers bring in a documented head case after ridding themselves of Artest? What would the Fieldhouse be like after the first incident with bonzi? The fans were very unhappy last year, as quoted by TPTB in several media pieces. Do they have the balls to roll the dice on a player like Bonzi? Can the payoff really be worth that kind of risk?

Also, bringing in Bonzi would simply stunt the growth of other players (Granger, et al)....why would you want to do that? Half of this board was totally against bringing in Al if it meant stunting the growth of Granger........now Bonzi? Ugh..........

Again...one year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU-IU View Post
    Some people had to touch a hot burner twice to make sure it'll really do some damage.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Wait a minute...why would he sign a one-year with us? There's no way he would get bird rights, right? Jack signed with Atl because they had cap room and thus his bird rights. Bonzi needs to sign with Charlotte to cash in...

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Again...one year contract.
    By saying "one year contract"...you seem to be focusing only on the financial side (short term financial side). What about Bonzi being "normal" for Bonzi, meaning he becomes a headcase. What about even more fans saying " to hell with the pacers,thugs"????? Do you remember how empty the Fieldhouse was becoming?

You avoided my question of "Can the payoff be worth the risk"? What is the best case scenario for bringing in Bonzi? Does he guarantee a championship? How many more W's does he guarantee? Why is he worth the risk? Why stunt the growth of Granger and others?

Why aren't any NBA teams interested???????

stun Granger's growth ? Wells plays 2-3 Granger 3-4 so that's nt so likely.
    Wells would bring a lot of bums in seats as a "local" product.

whether it is good or not i don't know, but I would not be surprised.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Time for me to chime in with yet another HELL NO!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)