Thread: Croc Hunter Death Footage May Be Broadcast

Default Croc Hunter Death Footage May Be Broadcast

CROCODILE HUNTER DEATH TO BE BROADCAST?

LATEST: The footage of late Australian naturalist STEVE IRWIN being killed by a stingray could be shown on TV. Charismatic Irwin, dubbed the Crocodile Hunter after his internationally acclaimed TV show, died yesterday (04SEP06) while diving on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Irwin was filming for a new documentary when he lost his life, and his cameraman shot the moment when the stingray's barbed tail stabbed the legendary conservationist through the heart. The tapes are currently being held by Queensland police - but Irwin's family are determined to respect his last wishes and allow the harrowing footage to be broadcast. Irwin once insisted, "

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...adcast_1007314
    ---------------------

"...but Irwin's family are determined to respect his last wishes and allow the harrowing footage to be broadcast. Irwin once insisted"

I wondered if this scenario might exist.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: Croc Hunter Death Footage May Be Broadcast

Yep, doesn't surprise me. In the back of mind I wondered if this would happen, considering how Steve Irwin was.

As long as it was Steve Irwin and his family that wanted this to air, and not some third party releasing it for publicity I'm ok with it.

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Regardless, I'm sure someone will get a copy up on YouTube eventually.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Here's the rest:

Irwin once insisted, "

"My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it's shaky or slightly out of focus, I don't give a rip. "Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me." An insider tells British newspaper the Daily Star, "This is exactly what Steve would have wanted. He knew the dangers and was totally up for the cameras to get everything."

It's already been broadcast; my supervising teacher saw it on the morning news.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its okay IMO if the family wants it. That guy was going to have fun even at the end I guess. A true loss.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

So did he say "Crikey" just before he died or not? If not, I guess its even more unfortunate. If he was underwater, I guess it might have been hard to tell though.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If it's what he wanted, I'm cool with it.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I'm interested to see it? Anyone else?
    AKA Sactolover05

if nebody gets a link plz post it

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If that's what Steve wanted and his family is OK with it, that's good enough for me. I just didn't want some idiot releasing it just for the money.

I have a lot of respect for Steve Irwin. He seemed to be the real deal, not just a character he played on TV. He truly loved what he was doing.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Steve Irwin is amazing and I guess I too am not surprised. He would have wanted it this way. He had shown everything else hes done with animals why not do this...It's the only way for Steve Irwin to go down.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I've been watching you tube...It hasn't been posted there yet.....

The news this morning quoted Irwin's manager as saying once he received the tape back from authorities, he believed it should not see the light of day.

Why Not Us ?

_PD_

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The news this morning quoted Irwin's manager as saying once he received the tape back from authorities, he believed it should not see the light of day.
    What is the fascination with watching a guy die?

The discovery network said today that they will not be broadcasting the tape and that there is no reaon why the tape should be shown or released anywhere.

I personally think that is best for the family.

I'm not saying i wouldn't watch it out of morbid curiousity if it came out, but I feel its better for the family if they don't.

What a *****....There's a time and place for commentary, this isn't one of them......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14694683/

'Crocodile Hunter' exploited animals, critic says
    Feminist author Greer says 'It’s no surprise that he came to grief’
    Reuters

Updated: 8:26 a.m. ET Sept 6, 2006
    SYDNEY, Australia - Feminist academic Germaine Greer said on Wednesday she hoped the death of Australian “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin would mark the end of what she called exploitative nature documentaries, a discordant note amid floods of tributes.

Irwin died in a freak diving accident off Australia’s northeast coast on Monday after he was hit in the chest by the serrated barb from a stingray’s tail.

Echoing comments she made this week in Britain’s Guardian newspaper, Australian-born Greer likened Irwin to a lion tamer and said he had intruded on the habitats of animals and treated them with “massive insensitivity.”

“It’s no surprise that he came to grief,” Greer told Nine Network television.

“We now have enough respect for lions to be embarrassed if we see someone trying to crack whips at them and wave chairs at them. Jumping all over crocodiles is the same kind of thing.”

'Exploitation of animals'
    Greer, an award-winning author, is a frequent critic of personalities like British soccer star David Beckham and social trends like reality television.

In 2003 she criticized J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy for attracting “spaced-out hippies, environmentalists, free-market libertarians, social conservatives, pacifists, new-age theosophists, sexists and racists the world over.”

Irwin’s death has prompted outpourings of grief and sympathy from around the world, dominating local newspapers and clogging Internet news sites.

His “Crocodile Hunter” documentaries for U.S.-based television company Discovery Channel’s Animal Planet were seen by tens of millions of viewers around the world.

He became famous for flirting with death as he wrestled crocodiles, swam with sharks and handled some of the world’s deadliest snakes and spiders.

Greer said she found the Irwin phenomenon "embarrassing," although she understood the sadness at his death.

“I’m not saying that’s not sad, I’m saying what might be over now is this kind of exploitation of animals,” Greer said.

“I am sick and tired of programs that tell me that the world is full of wicked, nasty, powerful, deadly creatures. Why does Australia set itself up to be made into this hellhole?” she said.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14694683/

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    What a *****....There's a time and place for commentary, this isn't one of them......
    If she waited till it was appropriate morally, it would be to late politically (which is why politics is inherently unethical).

If that's what he wanted, I guess do it.

But what type of person wants to watch a man die?

Hollywood seems to believe that most people like watching people die. Their profit margins seem to show they are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    Hollywood seems to believe that most people like watching people die. Their profit margins seem to show they are right.
    Oh, I think most of us categorize watching a fictional character die into one mental compartment.

I have no desire whatsoever to watch a real death. I've seen people die before and I'd prefer not to see it again.

Watching movie characters die doesn't bother me much - momentarily if the movie's good enough and it's a character I sympathize with.

Real life documentaries showing people who died is an in-between. But it is a reason why I tend not to watch those and why I'm completely up in the air as to whether I watch United 93 or WTC. If they died a long time ago it's another story.

As for Irwin - it has to be Terri's call - I assume she'll respect the wishes of other family members such as his father.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I talked to my supervisor about this today and she must have been seeing other footage of Irwin with stingrays and misunderstood what it was (I doubt she was glued to the TV while it was on; probably getting ready for work).

Looks to me like it won't come out.

As for wanting to see it, I have a morbid curiosity about it, but I wouldn't enjoy it at all. The same goes for the audio tape of the Grizzly man.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    SYDNEY, Australia - Feminist academic Germaine Greer said on Wednesday she hoped the death of Australian “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin would mark the end of what she called exploitative nature documentaries, a discordant note amid floods of tributes.
    F&^% Germaine Greer.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    F&^% Germaine Greer.
    What a douche.

She could probably care less about his death.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    If that's what he wanted, I guess do it.

But what type of person wants to watch a man die?
    as messed up as it is i still want to know how it happened.. the mind isnt quenched by a couple of words.. it wants visions to come with it....