Incoming

INCOMING
    Steve Francis
    6-3 PG from Maryland
    14.4 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 4.9 apg in 34.2 minutes

----
    Everything works out, via RealGM.

QUESTION: Would you take this trade?

I'd pull the trigger on this one in a second.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: IND/NY - how about this?

Steve Francis isnt a team player so id say no to this trade, others might like it but id rather have Tinsley over Francis...shockingly enough lol
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I'd only want Francis if we got rid of both Tinsley and Jackson.

Even then, with the acquistion of Al I don't know that I want Steve anymore. I did but now that we got Al i'm not sure Steve is worth the risk at all.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd only trade for him if I was planning on turning right around and trading him away for a player that we couldn't get before.. he's dumb as a post as far as basketball IQ is concerned, is too headstrong to be effectively coached, and freezes out team mates whilst taking horrible shots at every point of the game.. who the hell would want that cancer on our team?

streets ahead

well apart from the fact that dolan has told thomas make do with what you have, i don't think this would be a good move. we need a playmaking PG and a solid 3pt % sg essentially who doesn't over shoot like jax. and getting francis solves neither.

pacer_pacer

I would imagine Francis would resemble the player he was when Yao arrived in Houston. I remember a very team-oriented PG, who knew he no longer needed to do everything on offense for the team. I'd imagine that Francis would excel with Big Al and JO in the post, he'd help spread the floor and add another scoring dimension to the Pacers that we just won't have with an injury prone Tinsley running our squad. Francis has only been a "cancer" when he's been put on awful teams that had no chance to win with, or no noticeable structure/form.

I'd hate to think that this board would rather prefer a quiet "puppy dog" PG for the pacers like a Luke Ridenour or Earl Watson, just because a player with enthusiasm/passion might disrupt OR not represent the nice vanilla city of Indianapolis. NOTE: I'm not intending any ray nagen "chocolate city" connotations.

I have always like Francis' game his attitude well thats another story. If we trade Tinsley we need to get back a pass first PG to replace him. We have a load of scorers as it is...We need Mark Jackson but that is not gonna happen.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by pacer_pacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd hate to think that this board would rather prefer a quiet "puppy dog" PG for the pacers like a Luke Ridenour or Earl Watson, just because a player with enthusiasm/passion might disrupt OR not represent the nice vanilla city of Indianapolis. NOTE: I'm not intending any ray nagen "chocolate city" connotations.
    i think, at least for me, we need a playmaker first - then a shooter. francis has always been a shooter first. i don't deny francis' ability, although he was a malcontent in orlando... i just think someone who should be a #2 option will take away from danny's development. maybe i'm wrong, i just don't think he fits this team at this time. maybe before the harrington deal i could have seen a lineup of...

PG-Tinsley
    SG-Francis
    SF-Granger
    PF-O'Neal
    C-Harrison

but i feel that jackson would probably fit the #3/4 option better than francis. not to mention the fact that francis is going to be making $49mil over the next three years while jackson will be close to half that ($28mil/4yrs)

i think he'd be great with denver for example. with carmelo as #1, francis as #2 playing along a playmaker like andre miller. with camby and nene filling out the rest of the lineup, francis could be the scorer denver needs. right now they seem to be going after magette which could work out too, but since they want to get rid of K-Mart, NY seems like the ideal trading partner.

and as far as the puppy-dog comment... its all about finding pieces that fit. i've never thought ridenour or watson would be the best fits, but its not francis' enthusiasm that is the problem. its the fact that i don't think he'd be content to not be the main guy. i think chemistry isn't nearly as overrated as some people. mark jackson was a great pg for the pacers, but never really flourished anywhere else. he fit well with the team we had at the time. compared to francis, i'd say mark jackson was quiet therefore he would have been considered puppy-dog player. if thats the case then i have no problem with that.

enthusiasm is great but so is chemistry.

pacer_pacer

I agree that a NY/DEN trade is the most likely, and one which really should be considered by both teams.

I know that just about everyone on this board wishes that the pacers could "clone and sign" Mark Jackson to start at PG, including myself, but who fits this model best?

If anyone has any idea who could be our new Mark Jackson incarnate, please offer up some names and we'll run 'em through the trade checker.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer_pacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree that a NY/DEN trade is the most likely, and one which really should be considered by both teams.

I know that just about everyone on this board wishes that the pacers could "clone and sign" Mark Jackson to start at PG, including myself, but who fits this model best?

If anyone has any idea who could be our new Mark Jackson incarnate, please offer up some names and we'll run 'em through the trade checker.
    I don't think it's about getting a clone of Mark Jackson. It's about getting a point guard who fits with what you are trying to do. Right now, Tinsley is our best opition which is why we brought in Lenoard Perry.

I think that the change that is likely to be made at the point is Sarunas. I think he would attract some interest and hopefully help land us a more reliable backup then himself.