Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Davis is the new assistant coach

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Johnny Davis is the new assistant coach

Per the Montieth article at the Star about Antonio Davis (picked up by RoboHicks). Mark says that it was unnounced but that he has taken over assistant duties and just had his car delivered from FLA.

I think he will be a good fit and I recall several other posters being hopeful about his hiring.

Default Re: Johnny Davis is the new assistant coach

He fulfills the "players' coach role" we lost when Mike Brown left, doesn't he? That's why I see this as a good hiring.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He fulfills the "players' coach role" we lost when Mike Brown left, doesn't he? That's why I see this as a good hiring.
    That's how I read it. That should help a ton, along with Armstrong in the lockerroom.

I'm a huge fan of this move.

can only be a good thing!
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    That's how I read it. That should help a ton, along with Armstrong in the lockerroom.
    And Al.

Eh. From an actual coaching standpoint, I'd much rather have gotten Terry Porter, but I do understand the need for a leadership coach.

Now we need to know if we hired Grant Long or Tinsley's guy from Idaho or what.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Why is Davis considered a players coach. I don't think he relates that well to players at all.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Why is Davis considered a players coach. I don't think he relates that well to players at all.
    why's that? I dont know much about the guy except that he was fired from orlando a a couple seasons ago for not getting them to the playoffs.

I've just never considered Davis to be a players coach, he's not a great communicater, in the past he's not relates that well to his players. He is a soft coach, so I think many mistakenly think of him as a "players coach"

Sports Logo Sports Logo

he has to do a better job than what kevin o'neill did, i'm happy just from the standpoint of getting a new face in there

As long as JD is not in charge of the defense, it is fine with me

We will have to see how this effects our staff and chemistry. Just because its a change doesnt necessarily mean it helps any.

I know JD has been around the league forever, but I can't remember the last time he coached in a "winning" situation. When I think about it, assistant coaches bounce around like gypsies, from one team to another.....its one of the things I do each season on telecasts.....I look at the opposing bench and see assistant coaches all shuffle around to different teams. For instance, how many teams has Garfield Heard been an assistant to.....20? Dick Harter, Brenden Malone, Bill Blair, Jim Clemons,....some of these guys and others have to be good coaches to keep getting hired, but why do they never stay anywhere? Probably the arrival of JD is nothing more than the typical dance around the league for assistants, and when the music stopped he was in front of our chair.

The very best assistant coach in the league by the way is a guy named Tim Gurgrich (sp).....and he's a guy 90% of people have never heard of. He is on George Karl's staff I think in Denver. He is a difference maker....most assistants don't matter.

JMO

woman without a team

Well last year it didn't look like the coaching staff had any chemistry so unless they end up openly brawling on the bench I don't see how it could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    We will have to see how this effects our staff and chemistry. Just because its a change doesnt necessarily mean it helps any.

I know JD has been around the league forever, but I can't remember the last time he coached in a "winning" situation. When I think about it, assistant coaches bounce around like gypsies, from one team to another.....its one of the things I do each season on telecasts.....I look at the opposing bench and see assistant coaches all shuffle around to different teams. For instance, how many teams has Garfield Heard been an assistant to.....20? Dick Harter, Brenden Malone, Bill Blair, Jim Clemons,....some of these guys and others have to be good coaches to keep getting hired, but why do they never stay anywhere? Probably the arrival of JD is nothing more than the typical dance around the league for assistants, and when the music stopped he was in front of our chair.

The very best assistant coach in the league by the way is a guy named Tim Gurgrich (sp).....and he's a guy 90% of people have never heard of. He is on George Karl's staff I think in Denver. He is a difference maker....most assistants don't matter.

JMO

Isn't this the same guy that was an assistant to Tark during his UNLV days? If so, I agree with you, he certainly is a difference maker.

Quote Originally Posted by ApNeDtRiEeW View Post
    he has to do a better job than what kevin o'neill did, i'm happy just from the standpoint of getting a new face in there

By default, he will.

Banned

I've just never considered Davis to be a players coach, he's not a great communicater, in the past he's not relates that well to his players. He is a soft coach, so I think many mistakenly think of him as a "players coach"
    Where do you get this? Is this all personal opinion or do you have some articles or quotes from the players that he coached in the past?

I remember when he was fired in Orlando after the 03-04 season that many of the players came to his defense wanting him back and felt he did not get a fair chance. I have never heard or read a negative thing about him.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FSU-IU View Post
    Isn't this the same guy that was an assistant to Tark during his UNLV days? If so, I agree with you, he certainly is a difference maker.
    Yes, and he's been to several NBA teams. His most famous impact in the NBA probably came when he and Dunleavy kept the JailBlazers semi-interested in winning basketball games during the Sabonis-surrounded-by-a-bunch-of-clowns era.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Is Mark Jackson not interested in coaching? Or just not being an assistant? I had always hoped he might be here someday.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post

JMO

Don't mention Grg. I'm still pissed Portland wouldn't let him go coach with Mike Brown.

He damn well better relate well to the players, or I'm gonna be pissed we hired him.

Grg is a great guy working with the players one-on-one, the players love him and he is just great in helpiong players improve their game.

However he's not much for game strategy, in fact I think it was Geroge Karl who had him sit at the end of the bench as he was not involved in the gameplans, at least not during the games

Grg is a great guy working with the players one-on-one, the players love him and he is just great in helpiong players improve their game.

However he's not much for game strategy, in fact I think it was Geroge Karl who had him sit at the end of the bench as he was not involved in the gameplans, at least not during the games

I think that his strengths are definitely in player development and "relating" well to players. he also is famously known for his maniacal work ethic, and many many NBA players still attend his camp he has every year.

I agree that strategy isnt his strongsuit (at least thats my impression), but I doubt his bench position had anything to do with game strategy. Grg is almost as nuerotic as Adrian Monk, and probably has some superstitious reason for sitting where he sits, or maybe its to teach the young players/bench players as the game is going on away from the camera spotlight....Grg is very publicity shy.

Anyway, I hope JD does a good job here.....only RC knows the real reasons he was brought in, and how he will be used in relation to the other coaches. I've never heard anyone say that JD was that highly regarded of a coach though, and I feel that we are all grasping at straws and hoping against hope that he makes a difference.

JMO

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm happy we're changing things. KO needs ousted, and ANY ONE was going to be better. So, I'm happy.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I'm not a big JD fan, but I really didn't want KO in Indiana in the first place so I am glad he is no longer an assistant. JD isn't a bad assitant IMO, probably average. His weaknesses may really show when he is a head coach, but that doesn't mean he can't bring a lot of positive things to the table as an assistant coach.

Rather he is a players coach or a soft coach IDK because I don't know the guy. So I can't say. But I think that Bird wanted a guy on the bench who will get along with the players better than KO, and JD was the best avaliable.