Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not done yet

Post Not done yet

There are no revolving doors leading into Conseco Fieldhouse, a logical architectural characteristic for a retro building.

More...

Default Re: Not done yet

I really expect Greene to mke the team

Quote Originally Posted by RoboHicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are no revolving doors leading into Conseco Fieldhouse, a logical architectural characteristic for a retro building.

More...

I think the Star is wrong, I think it will be Powell and Greene, not Marshall.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At this point I think Josh Powell , Snap Hunter and John Edwards will be the 3 that fail to make the roster.But there is a good chance at least 1 and maybe 2 vets could come in and as many has 5 of the new players currently on the roster will be gone Marshall and Greene being the other 2.

At this point Donnie and Larry are not done so don't get to use to the newbies.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DW
    "You might disagree with what we've done, but you can't say we haven't followed through," Walsh said, allowing himself a laugh over all the atypical activity.
    True.

I don't care if Green, Hunter, Powell, Marshall, Edwards and Armstrong take up spots on the roster. But if they see the court, we've got big problems. I'd send Williams to the NBDL, he might be okay in a couple years but not if he wastes away on the end of the bench. We only have eight guys that can play:

Tinsley (okay - check that, we have 7.5 guys that can play), Daniels, Granger, Harrington, JO, Foster, Harrison, and White. Fine, we've got SJax too. Make it 8.5 if you must include him (but he's dead to me.) Saras and Baston should only see the court in case of emergency.

We need to shape up the backcourt. Tinsley, Daniels and White just aren't enough to get it done without more help.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why do you think Shawne will be riding the bench this year? I think he'll get some minutes backing up the SF/PF spots if he can show some production.

You know I forgot about the NBDL. How many players can we send down to the NBDL?

Maybe we plan on keeping all the players, just send ing a few down?

It is a given that the Pacers must reduce the roster by at least three.

One way to do that is by cutting or sending down the three weakest or most superfluous players. Another way is to pursue a 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 trade that would probably involve some of the better players (Foster, Jackson, Harrison, Jasikevisius, etc.), and possible mean keeping the likes of Hunter and/or Edwards on the roster.

Is there anyone who would argue that we hold with what we've got now and just cut the three weakest?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Rick's gonna let him play? I strongly doubt it.

And I seriously doubt if he's physically durable enough (yet) to handle more than 20-30 NBA games. All his scouting reports said basically, "raw talent, not NBA-ready yet". And he's been banged up all summer from one summer league game. From what I gather, "not NBA-ready yet" means he's just not physically strong enough for what he's about to get into.

We've all said for years that perhaps Bender could've turned out differently if there were a minor league for him to play in. Or, if nothing else, we could've determined his "wimpiness" or extent of his injury before giving him the big fat contract.

Now is the time for the Pacers to prove they've learned from that mistake. No need to rush the kid because we've got plenty of frontcourt talent for years to come anyway. Let him make some progress in the D-league and then when its time to pick between re-signing Al or giving him a big contract you'll know what you've got.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If your going to give your second round pick legitamite minutes backing up the guard spots you have to see how your first round pick does in limited minutes backing up the front spots.With the way the Pacers are going you have to think that Shawne fits into an uptempo style of play we're going for

And from what I've read his injury was fine and he has resumed normal workouts, I dont really consider him to be a liability in getting injured frequently yet.

Give him his chance...then let him devolop elsewhere if needed, but I think he's going to do the most learning sticking with the Pacers and practicing against upper tier players.

You cannot have more than 15 guys on your roster with NBA contracts and send the extras to the NBDL.

Your NBDL players count toward your 15 roster players, if they have an NBA contract as opposed to an NBDL contract. And if they have an NBDL contract, ANY NBA team can call them up.

Unless they changed the rules on this...

They should, so that it is more of a farm system arrangement.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Yes Shawne should play in the D League. I don't think he is ready for minuates in the NBA. He is still very young. He needs to get stronger, get better skill wise, and just get more game experience. Get some confidence in his game too. And we have too many players on the roster as it is now, Shawne is the perfect player for the D League. But would he have to take a paycut to do so? And would he want to play in the D League anyways?

We defiantly need to get better in the backcourt. I'm not comfortable with Tinsley and Saras as our point guards nor do I like Stephen Jackson on the roster nor do I think he is a good fit for this team. I have my doubts though that anything happens, I think Bird and Donnie may be looking but I have my doubts that anything gets done before the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by ApNeDtRiEeW View Post
    If your going to give your second round pick legitamite minutes backing up the guard spots you have to see how your first round pick does in limited minutes backing up the front spots.With the way the Pacers are going you have to think that Shawne fits into an uptempo style of play we're going for

And from what I've read his injury was fine and he has resumed normal workouts, I dont really consider him to be a liability in getting injured frequently yet.

Give him his chance...then let him devolop elsewhere if needed, but I think he's going to do the most learning sticking with the Pacers and practicing against upper tier players.
    With 82 games and all the travel, there are only about twenty real practices in a season once training camp ends. That's no way for a young player to develop.

To your first point, White is believed to be more "NBA-ready", but I still don't expect Rick to play him much because we've got plenty of veteran bodies to throw at the SG position (Daniels, SJax, Saras, Granger) before we have to throw a rookie in there.

He couldn't bench 190 pounds at all. He's going to have so many bruises from his first real practice ... He's still growing, I've got patience. But I don't expect anything in years #1 or #2 from him.

Tom,

I've got no problem with him taking one of our fifteen spots while playing down there. In the event of injury, he *can* be called up. And that's all your tenth-fourteenth men are good for, anyway. And he's not going to be part of our regular rotation if everyone is healthy. We have plenty of frontcourt depth that *should* play in front of him.

He has to be sent to the Dleague at least till the all star break .. after that i think he can come into the team and play 10 mins a game for a few games ... ild like to see him get some time this year but i agree he need Dleague experience first and not jusdt to warm a seat on our bench!
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I thought you were saying it was a Rick issue, but it sounds like your angle is that Shawne just might not be ready for it. I certainly can see the view but I don't think even his brief summer outing looked that bad.

Occassional minutes instead of regular minutes, sure, but they will be of a higher caliber and Shawne will get the biggest part of being a rookie out of his system - the lifestyle change and the length of the season. Plus when he does play he will see the speed and strength of the game.

I'm not sure the NBDL works as effectively as a quality NCAA program for pure teaching. Do we have any examples yet of guys that seemed too raw, went NBDL, and then arrived as ready-to-go players rather than still just sitting on the end of the bench?

I'm not saying there aren't, I'm sincerely asking if there are some?

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    You cannot have more than 15 guys on your roster with NBA contracts and send the extras to the NBDL.

Your NBDL players count toward your 15 roster players, if they have an NBA contract as opposed to an NBDL contract. And if they have an NBDL contract, ANY NBA team can call them up.

Unless they changed the rules on this...

They should, so that it is more of a farm system arrangement.
    QFE

Also, you can send a maximum of 2 guys down, and you can only send rookies and sohomores, so John Edwards is out. I could see us sending S. Williams and another guy, be it Orien Greene or Rawle Marshall. The major downside of having guys playing in the NBDL vs. practicing for the Pacers, if someone does get hurt and you have to call the guy up, he knows nothing about your plays, and has absolutely no chemistry with the team. I think sending a guy down is fine, but you have to embrace the fact that you're essentially playing with 13 players, because if 14 and 15 have to be called up for more than 5 minutes per game, you're going to be in the lottery if they don't know the system or the players.

I think these guys are roster locks, barring any further moves:

C - JO/Hulk
    PF - Al/Foster/Baston
    SF - Danny/Williams
    SG - Jack/Quis/Flight
    PG - Tins/Runi

So, that leaves 3 roster spots open for the following players:

C - Edwards
    PF - Powell
    SF - Marshall
    PG - Armstrong/Greene/Snap

I don't see the point in cutting Marshall after allowing his contract to become guaranteed, so he's probably in.

I also don't see the point in the AJ trade if we cut Armstrong, so he's in as well.

Edwards is worthless, and Powell will never see the floor over the many players ahead of him able to play PF, so I think they're both gone.

That leaves Greene and Snap fighting it out for the final spot, which I feel Greene will get. It wasn't logical to take Greene off of waivers otherwise.

C - JO/Hulk
    PF - Al/Foster/Baston
    SF - Danny/Williams/Marshall
    SG - Jack/Quis/Flight
    PG - Tins/Runi/Armstrong/Greene

That is my guess as to the final roster, barring further moves.

streets ahead

maybe i'm wrong but i thought reports were that marshall had a bigger upside than powell. powell may be a solid role player and defender but i've heard a few people (maybe not on this forum) marshall described as the next josh howard. am i wrong in that assertion?

Can we cut Edwards? His contract is guaranteed so I know we have to pay him.

Banned

Sure, we can cut anyone. We just have to pay them and it still counts against the salary cap if their contract is guaranteed.

ok, maybe I am just an idiot but what does "qfe" mean?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Don't worry, I'm not sure yet either.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Makes sense to hold on to Edwards until the start of the season... he's perfect for filler.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Quoted For Emphasis

cousin to QFT

or

Quoted for Truth