Thread: So have you guys seen what happens when you mix diet coke and mentos?

Default So have you guys seen what happens when you mix diet coke and mentos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKoB0MHVBvM&mode=related&search=fficeffice" />>>
    This is real. They did it on Mythbusters. And it is confirmed. >>
    > >
    > >
    Here’s an idiot that ate mentos and then drank diet coke…. >>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFf-kW1E0Tc>>
    > >

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So have you guys seen what happens when you mix diet coke and mentos?

Can you explain what happens to those of us that can't watch youtube due to NSFW restrictions?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So have you guys seen what happens when you mix diet coke and mentos?

Wow, I had no idea. So what about the people who don't no this, and they are eating mentos and drinking a diet coke just casually.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Essentially there are some things in the diet coke and some things in the mentos that react chemically to cause a major chemical reaction causing the diet coke to basically foam uncontrollably with great force, especially out of a limited opening such as the top of a 2 liter bottle.

And DD, I would assume thats how someone discovered this.......

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Essentially there are some things in the diet coke and some things in the mentos that react chemically to cause a major chemical reaction causing the diet coke to basically foam uncontrollably with great force, especially out of a limited opening such as the top of a 2 liter bottle.

And DD, I would assume thats how someone discovered this.......
    When Diet Coke is bottled, it is packed CO2 at a high pressure. The high pressure helps to dissolve the CO2 and tiny bubbles of CO2 gas form.

When you open the bottle, you release the pressure, and the bubbles enlarge and come to the surface.

Water molecules in Diet Coke are attracted strongly to each other and form a "web" or "sphere" around the bubbles.

Add mentos to the Diet Coke and the candy begins to dissolve. The gum and gelatin in the candy begins to break up the "webbing" of water molecules.

The gas bubbles then can enlarge at a fast rate and to many times their original size.

The surface make-up of the candy provides many areas for new bubbles to form. This is the real catalyst of the reaction.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    When Diet Coke is bottled, it is packed CO2 at a high pressure. The high pressure helps to dissolve the CO2 and tiny bubbles of CO2 gas form.

When you open the bottle, you release the pressure, and the bubbles enlarge and come to the surface.

Water molecules in Diet Coke are attracted strongly to each other and form a "web" or "sphere" around the bubbles.

Add mentos to the Diet Coke and the candy begins to dissolve. The gum and gelatin in the candy begins to break up the "webbing" of water molecules.

The gas bubbles then can enlarge at a fast rate and to many times their original size.

The surface make-up of the candy provides many areas for new bubbles to form. This is the real catalyst of the reaction.
    Thank you for reminding me that it's a bona fide miracle I ever passed Chemistry.

Stryder, on Mythbusters, they also found that certain ingredients caused the reaction to intensify, like caffiene, Splenda, etc etc....When they tested straight CO2 water, the reaction was actually very small. But when adding the different ingredients it was a much more intense reaction.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stryder, on Mythbusters, they also found that certain ingredients caused the reaction to intensify, like caffiene, Splenda, etc etc....When they tested straight CO2 water, the reaction was actually very small. But when adding the different ingredients it was a much more intense reaction.
    Oh, I wouldn't doubt that at all. I haven't seen an episode of Mythbusters in a long, long time.

It was pretty damn cool when they added "extra ingredients of the things that caused a more intense reaction. They were able to get a 2 liter diet coke bottle to spew something like 35 ft into the air.

They had a blast testing this one.

somebody needs to look into the feasibility of diet coke / mentos powered vehicles.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKoB0MHVBvM&mode=related&search=>>
    This is real. They did it on Mythbusters. And it is confirmed.
    Great... those two are my heroes now
    > >
    > >
    Here’s an idiot that ate mentos and then drank diet coke…. >>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFf-kW1E0Tc>>
    > >
    biggest idiot ever.. i hope he never got up from that fall people that dumb really need help

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's freakin' hilarious.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

You think that's funny...try searching for "dumbasses" on youtube and perusing that set of search results...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

me and my friends did that a couple a weeks ago its pretty cool