Thread: Colts lose RB Mungro for season

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unhappy Colts lose RB Mungro for season

On a day that saw backup quarterback Jim Sorgi receive relatively good news on his right shoulder and defensive tackle Corey Simon confirm he underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, the 2006 season ended for James Mungro.

The team made no announcement, but an individual close to Mungro said Tuesday the Indianapolis Colts' versatile running back will miss the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during Sunday's preseason loss to Seattle.

Mungro, 28, was entering his fifth season with the team. His loss weakens the depth in the backfield behind starter Dominic Rhodes and rookie Joseph Addai, and extracts a key contributor on special teams.

While Mungro received the worst possible news, things were more positive for Sorgi and Simon.

Sorgi informed coach Tony Dungy that a magnetic resonance imaging test on his right shoulder, which also was injured against the Seahawks, revealed no structural damage. Sorgi, who watched practice with his right arm in a sling, was not present during the team's open locker room period Tuesday.

"He was real pleased,'' Dungy said. "It's still day-to-day, but we didn't get a negative report, so that was good.''

Dungy does not anticipate signing another quarterback while Sorgi mends.

It remains to be seen if Sorgi will be ready for the Colts' Sept. 10 regular-season opener against the New York Giants. But that's Simon's target date.

"I think I'll be back in the next few weeks,'' he said.

Simon has not practiced since Aug. 4, when he experienced soreness in his left knee that apparently was the result of damaged cartilage and tendinitis. After acquiring a second medical opinion, he opted for arthroscopic surgery, which was performed in the past few weeks.

"We felt it was the best way to go,'' Simon said. "I wanted to get it taken care of.''

Call Star reporter Mike Chappell at (317) 444-6830.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

[Credit: IndyStar]

man this sucks, i know he wasnt a starter but i hate hearing about stuff like this
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Default Re: Colts lose RB Mungro for season

Mungro was going to be part of the 3 man committee at RB, so this does sting a little.

Colts may need to find someone to pick up .

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

At the time I really, really like the Corey Simon signing. I thought a big hoss of a DT was exactly what this team needed. I still do, I just think we need one that can play. So far Corey has not been that guy. Do to weight last year, and I'm sure the weight caused this knee problem.

And here's the real catcher. Apparently he had lost some weight over the offseason. Well now that he'll be out, I'm sure he'll come back as big as ever.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, that's gonna leave a mark.

That really is too bad about Mungro one of the funnier guys on the Colts. Didn't do it this year, but in previous camps he'd shower early and then go hang out with the crowd waiting to get autographs. Of course they didn't know who he was and he pretended to be just another fan. Carts would drive by with players on it and he would yell out their names as they went by saying "Hey number #blah blah, dawg you suck" "Hey number #blah blah, why can't you catch the ball" and other assorted digs. Just some really funny stuff and the fans would go nuts thinking this guy was being such a jerk and that no one would stop to sign with this clown yelling out stuff.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mungro was hurt during a game when he was playing real well. He made some great blocks on special teams and in blitz pick-ups. Running the ball he looks good too. This is a tough loss but hopefully he can come back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the time I really, really like the Corey Simon signing. I thought a big hoss of a DT was exactly what this team needed. I still do, I just think we need one that can play. So far Corey has not been that guy. Do to weight last year, and I'm sure the weight caused this knee problem.

And here's the real catcher. Apparently he had lost some weight over the offseason. Well now that he'll be out, I'm sure he'll come back as big as ever.
    Huh? You make it sound like Corey tore his ACL instead of Mungro. Am I missing something?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's Mungro who will be out for the year, not Simon....
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

the things that sucks about simon being out until around the season starts...he going to miss alot of preseason again...and camp...which he did last year....and it showed....i think he would of been alot better this year with playimg somee preseason and camp
    Pacer fan since 1994

Quote Originally Posted by pacergranger33 View Post
    the things that sucks about simon being out until around the season starts...he going to miss alot of preseason again...and camp...which he did last year....and it showed....i think he would of been alot better this year with playimg somee preseason and camp

The reason why it was bad last year was because that he didn't know the stuff, plus he was really out of shape. He's in really good shape right now, so I think it'll be ok. It was a very good signing last year.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Huh? You make it sound like Corey tore his ACL instead of Mungro. Am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    It's Mungro who will be out for the year, not Simon....

I know guys...what I'm saying is that Corey still has his injury obviously not nearly and severe as Mungro.

But what I'm saying is that I think Corey is going to regain the weight he lost from this summer while rehabbing.

I desperately hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know guys...what I'm saying is that Corey still has his injury obviously not nearly and severe as Mungro.

But what I'm saying is that I think Corey is going to regain the weight he lost from this summer while rehabbing.

I desperately hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.
    He lost a lot......
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions