View Poll Results: Should I quit my job?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay

7 43.75%
  • Go

9 56.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I quit my job?

Default Should I quit my job?

Quitting seems to be en vogue these days, so I thought I'd get everyone's opinion on my situation.

I've been working as a secretarial temp here since November 2, 2005. I wasn't too fond of the job and I was happy to leave for a permanent position with the same university late February. From November to February they dragged their feet hiring someone for the permanent position, but they seemed to have someone just before I left. Unfortunately, the person they hired ended up taking a job elsewhere at the last minute and they ended up having to get a different temp to cover the position.

Well, I hated the new job I took. So much so that I sucked up my pride and asked to come back to this job as a temp. Because my professors liked me and, I guess, they weren't enamored with the new temp, they took me back within a week or two of my departure. At that time, I told my supervisor that I wanted the permanent position. She contacted Human Resources and they told her that, because I left my other job, it was unethical for them to hire me within the 90 day provisional period I was supposed to have worked at the other job. It would be like transferring departments during the provisional period, which is a no-no. So I stayed on as a temp for three months.

Near the end of the May, I asked my supervisor about applying for the permanent position again. She gave me a somewhat snotty answer about my three months not being up yet (although it was within a week or two). I ask again a week or two later, she tells me that Human Resources says I don't have the requisite year of secretarial experience; I only have 10 months secretarial experience and two or three months of clerical experience. She says that she can either re-write the job description to require a year of secretarial OR clerical experience, or we can wait another two months. Well, I guess she decided it was easier to wait because that was the last I heard of that.

Earlier this month, I again inquired about the permanent position. From the response I got from her, it seemed as though she had done none of the paperwork to get the ball rolling (including posting the job, gathering resumes, and scheduling interviews with other people, which is a requirement for the university). It’s now been nearly 3 weeks since I brought this up with her and the job STILL hasn’t been posted on the Human Resources website. I know the job posting has been written, though, because it is posted in the building. And get this: it’s asking for one year CLERICAL experience. So she re-wrote the job description three months AFTER it would have been beneficial to me.

Had I been hired before the first day of the fall semester, I could have saved a tremendous amount of money on tuition this semester. She knew this. I haven’t had any benefits (insurance, sick pay, vacation pay, etc.) since I’ve been here. She should know this as well. I’ve worked as a temp here for over 1,000 hours, which is generally frowned upon by Human Resources (but I guess it hasn’t been questioned because I wasn’t working here for a short time in February).

I suppose I should’ve been a greater advocate for myself, but I wasn’t for two reasons: 1) I don’t feel comfortable hounding my boss for the job that I’ve already made abundantly clear to her I want and 2) I’ve always been ambivalent about this job. I don’t really like it, but it has some benefits.

I have enough savings to survive a few months without a job and I can probably go back to working temp almost immediately. Unfortunately, it means that it will be that much longer without health insurance (and I have some medical concerns I would like to check out). It also means I’ll be limited in my education options, but I’ve all but decided to drop out of school this semester anyway (for other reasons). The job’s not that bad (clean, white collar work with a decent wage), but a few things about the job and a few of the people really bother me and I feel more and more disrespected by my supervisor. She really is quite a ***** (not just my opinion here).

So, should I leave a merely adequate job where I’m disrespected by my supervisor or should I leave for a more uncertain and potentially more fulfilling position?
    Dean Winchester: It takes two to... you know, have hardcore sex.

Default Re: Should I quit my job?

I'm a big supporter of job quitting.

Kat, I would look at it like this. I would stay until I find another job, but only because I'm more on the saftey side of things. With the Job market the way it is these days, finding a new job is not always as easy, especially one with benefits.

I would recommend searching for a new position while taking advantage of the position you have now, essentially for the money it provides while you search.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kat, I would look at it like this. I would stay until I find another job, but only because I'm more on the saftey side of things. With the Job market the way it is these days, finding a new job is not always as easy, especially one with benefits.

I would recommend searching for a new position while taking advantage of the position you have now, essentially for the money it provides while you search.
    One problem with that is that my university is by far the largest employer around here and I really would like to eventually work for them. If I take the permanent position, I will HAVE to stay here for three months (the provisional period). It might make it easier for me to move into a different position at that time, but it could be very rough going meanwhile. Especially since I think it could take a month or longer to secure the permanent position here. They REALLY drag their feet.

I'd look around before quitting. the situation doesn't seem too intolerable.

I once worked for a boss that made Bob Knight look like a saint. He'd call you in, close the door, then he'd shout every 4-letter word in the book at you. Ranter and raver, verbal abuse, but high ranking in the company and human resources couldn't/wouldn't tone him down until many many of us quit. He was eventually canned.

I even looked around and lined something up before quitting that hellhole of a job. I was in the situation of having a wife & 3 kids though.

Even if your employer finds out you are pursuing other jobs, how can they blame you? You have tried and tried to get on permanently there, and you are shortchanging yourself by not looking for something better.

I'd look now, but not quit until you find something.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I always advise that young people quit their jobs - especially young, bright people. You should persue your dreams and suffer the consequences while your health and energy allow it. Who knows, you might even be a success.

Delaying leaving a job you know you hate is only delaying professional happiness - something you should never put off.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Delaying leaving a job you know you hate is only delaying professional happiness - something you should never put off.
    LA speaks the truth. Money is rarely the number one reason people leave thier job. The younger you are the easier it is to make the transition and well as the more attractive propsect in alot of cases to the employer.

Regarding your medical situation. You could either schedule what you need to with your doctor right now , and take advantage of your current insurance. Also if you feel like you don't want to leave the company entirely, see if they have a Leave of Abscence type program.

Not sure what your health concerns are but even perhaps a FMLA program.

Another option , depending on want you what to pay is you can usually find somewhat decent health coverage for a single person if you shop around , sites like einsurance.com should help. Which would allow you to have insurance in between jobs.

Why Not Us ?

I always advise that young people quit their jobs - especially young, bright people. You should persue your dreams and suffer the consequences while your health and energy allow it. Who knows, you might even be a success.

I'm neither young nor bright, and I thought quitting was pretty fun.

I think that it all depends on what your ultimate goal is. Life is way, way too short. What do you want to be doing in 15 years? 10 years? That is what you should be asking yourself. If the people that you are working for won't help you get to where you want to be in 15 years (except for the $) then you need to quit and find a way to work with, for, or near the people that can help you get where you want to go or are doing what you want to do. Life is way to short. My philosophy is that you have to go out and make the life you want. It might be really hard, but it's WAY more fun knowing you are on your way to where you want to be that just waiting for something good to happen. Regardless of whether you stay or go, stop waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    Regarding your medical situation. You could either schedule what you need to with your doctor right now , and take advantage of your current insurance. Also if you feel like you don't want to leave the company entirely, see if they have a Leave of Abscence type program.

Not sure what your health concerns are but even perhaps a FMLA program.
    Sound advice, except I DON'T HAVE INSURANCE. Haven't had it the entire time I've been here.

Another option , depending on want you what to pay is you can usually find somewhat decent health coverage for a single person if you shop around , sites like einsurance.com should help. Which would allow you to have insurance in between jobs.
    I've considered that before, but 1) I didn't have the extra money until fairly recently, and 2) I've been hoping it wouldn't be too much longer until I'd have insurance through my employer (but three months turned into five, five months turned into six and I'm still waiting). I might look into it soon, though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would stay on until I found something better, but it's pretty obvious by now that your employer has no intention of allowing you to get the permanent position.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I would stay on until I found something better, but it's pretty obvious by now that your employer has no intention of allowing you to get the permanent position.
    ^ Yes

Regarding insurance, if you have none, you should seriously think about getting a cheap catastrophic health insurance policy. There is a federal law that states have to make such policies cheaply available (usually through private insurers). I'm talking about the kind of policy that covers zero until you have racked up like $5K in hospital bills but then covers everything. A policy like that (with a humongous deductible) is very inexpensive, but a real necessity for someone like you. It won't help with regular doctor bills, etc., but it will keep you from going bankrupt in the event of a horrible illness or disease. Something like that could ruin your whole life. I realize this is way off the subject, but for anyone who thinks health insurance is too expensive, you need to look for one of these policies. Very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    That's the thing. Although she's treating me like crap, I honestly believe I would get the permanent job. It might take one or two more months, but I don't think she'll screw me completely. Why? Well, 1) she could've refused to let me come back in February, but she didn't, 2) my faculty love me and would probably ride her *** if she screwed me, and 3) she's had more than enough time to hire someone else if that was her intention. I think she just can't be bothered to do all the work necessary to hire me in a reasonable time frame and she's enjoying the fruits of my labor for less expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    Regarding insurance, if you have none, you should seriously think about getting a cheap catastrophic health insurance policy. There is a federal law that states have to make such policies cheaply available (usually through private insurers). I'm talking about the kind of policy that covers zero until you have racked up like $5K in hospital bills but then covers everything. A policy like that (with a humongous deductible) is very inexpensive, but a real necessity for someone like you. It won't help with regular doctor bills, etc., but it will keep you from going bankrupt in the event of a horrible illness or disease. Something like that could ruin your whole life. I realize this is way off the subject, but for anyone who thinks health insurance is too expensive, you need to look for one of these policies. Very important.
    You're right, of course. I've been very reckless.

Well, it's really, really easy to put things like that off. I am always paranoid that disaster is about to strike, so I think about these types of things. I have known a few people along the way that have been wiped out by weird stuff.

By the way, there are few things more liberating than quitting your job. Perhaps, it would be worthwhile to give it a little longer (not long at all) and tell your boss you are applying for other jobs (after all you are just a temp, that should be expected) and ask if he/she would give you a good recommendation. This could accomplish lots of things in a positive way. If your boss does want to give you the permanent position, he will be incented to do so right away. If not, you have been a long standing employee and should get a good rec. Either way, you will really know where you stand. I have changed jobs several times, and I always have asked my current boss if they could recommend me. Several times, it has yielded nice raises. Other times, they just gave me a great rec. Good luck.

Kat, No idea how it works in the states and with HR there, but I would have a talk with HR now, they know (or should) your record there, and might have other openings that suit you even better, and if not, at least they are aware of the situation, which can only improve your position, before someone states that you've been a temp to long (just a thought)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Kat, No idea how it works in the states and with HR there, but I would have a talk with HR now, they know (or should) your record there, and might have other openings that suit you even better, and if not, at least they are aware of the situation, which can only improve your position, before someone states that you've been a temp to long (just a thought)
    The university receives far more applicants for jobs than they'll ever need. Since they have such a glut of qualified candidates, Human Resources doesn't really talk to anyone outside of the university. Their job is to fill the positions with the most qualified candidates, not fit qualified candidates into the university. I'm not sure I'm explaining that well. But yeah, they won't help me.

Please allow me to be the one old fuddy duddy here.

While all of the free spirits are out there telling you to quite your job at will & not look back I want to issue caution.

I would advise anyone that if their job situation was so poor that they could not stand getting up & going to work, or if their pay was so low they could not pay their bills or they felt physical or emotional pain from going to work that they should quit & quit right away.

Other than that I would offer this one bit of caution & I don't mean this to sound snooty or anything like that but I do the hiring & firing for our company & I can tell you that one of the first big giant red flags that goes off when I look at a job application is if the person is what I call a job hopper.

Now I'm not saying anyone on here is advocating that so nobody please get on me for calling you all slacker or something. I'm just saying when I see a person who has held 5 jobs in 2 years I start to question that persons dependability.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't see why you shouldn't stay at the job you are at now. The market up here is not great & it if you don't have something lined up it would (IMO) be a mistake to leave for a job that may or may not be better. Especially if you think that getting a permenant job is a lock.

I have a co-worker who'd department at Purdue just downsized & since she was the low man on the totem pole for seniority she got laid off. By low man on the pole she had been on the job for 7 years. She just bought a house & a car the year before this happened.

She is now working as a temp at the Veterans Home.

If you can't stand going to work then by all means, but if you can tolerate it at all I would hang in there till you can find a secure job.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

woman without a team

As for my fuddy duddy answer I'm a big fan of eating so I wouldn't quit a job unless I had nother one all lined up.

Peck - Your argument is horse hockey. We're talking about a woman in her 20's - how much experience and dedication is she supposed to have? Kat has held an absolute go nowhere TEMP position for a full year longer than anyone in their right mind would. The only thing it would tell the next employer is that she is a dedicated worker. If she holds on to this crap job any longer, it could backfire by telling them that she has little ambition and believes that she's only qualified for secretarial work.

The right career move here is to get valuable experience working elsewhere.

woman without a team

Peck - Your argument is horse hockey. We're talking about a woman in her 20's - how much experience and dedication is she supposed to have? Kat has held an absolute go nowhere TEMP position for a full year longer than anyone in their right mind would. The only thing it would tell the next employer is that she is a dedicated worker. If she holds on to this crap job any longer, it could backfire by telling them that she has little ambition and believes that she's only qualified for secretarial work.

The right career move here is to get valuable experience working elsewhere.
    I know you weren't talking to me, but IMO it's not horse hockey. You might have a point about the position being temp, but when someone looks at a resume and sees a list of previous employment they might not take into account which jobs were temps.

In a perfect world no one should have to have a job they don't like and/or don't feel appreciated in. In the real world (at least for me) you keep the job you don't like until you find one that suits you better.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I know you weren't talking to me, but IMO it's not horse hockey. You might have a point about the position being temp, but when someone looks at a resume and sees a list of previous employment they might not take into account which jobs were temps.

In a perfect world no one should have to have a job they don't like and/or don't feel appreciated in. In the real world (at least for me) you keep the job you don't like until you find one that suits you better.
    Fair enough - we're splitting hairs on the timing of quitting. But I think everyone here agrees that this is a dead end and quitting the job is inevitable.

So I will concede that having something lined up is a good idea.

But the concept of hanging on to a **** job that gives you zero valuable experience just so that you can pad years onto your resume is frankly F'ed up. Jobs are not prison sentences. Nobody expects a 25? year old to stay at the same company for years and years, especially when all they are doing is answering the phone.

I admit that we might be talking about a cultural difference here. In cities like New York, Chicago, Dallas, LA, etc., ambition is just as important as experience. People want to hire folks who are enthusiastic about the work and want something better for themselves.

woman without a team

I'm all for quitting a job if you don't like it BUT what are you supposed to live on in the meantime? I know when I was 25 I didn't have any money to live on if I wasn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I'm all for quitting a job if you don't like it BUT what are you supposed to live on in the meantime? I know when I was 25 I didn't have any money to live on if I wasn't working.
    I already conceded this point.

You're right - that's the hard part. If it were easy, we wouldn't have anyone to clean the toilets at Walmart. Kat is obviously smart enough to figure it out.