Thread: Lavish kids' parties a concern

Post Lavish kids' parties a concern

Cindy Skjodt, 48, spent six months planning a 16th birthday bash for her twins, Erik and Samantha.

More...

Default Re: Lavish kids' parties a concern

Interesting.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

when I was little my parents always threw me birthday parties till the age of 10...and I loved 'em...they weren't worth $100,000...it was priceless..cause my mom and dad would take days off from work and actually bake/cook the food i love and invite my closests friends...

kids these days are just a bunch of materialistic brats...all they care about is how they can out bling their so-called friends...which is why friendship is losin' its true meanin' these days...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by misguided parent
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never had a big 16th," said Skjodt, daughter of mall mogul and Indiana Pacers co-owner Mel Simon. "I thought it would be a fun way for them to mark the beginning of their adult lives.
    Who on earth thinks that 16 is the start of adulthood? What a load of crap!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

kid's always have parties at the go-kart track i work at.......i hate them all

Jewish people enter "adulthood." and 13.
    we will be known forever by the tracks we leave

i hope to hit puberty in the near future
    Spikes gonna rip off my face and wear it on Halloween!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"My kids are not like that, and I didn't want them to be portrayed like the spoiled-rotten kids on that TV show," she said. "Although Samantha was really upset and said she doesn't forgive me."

Said Samantha: "I was really mad at my mom. I was, like, so set on being on TV and having my five minutes of fame . . . it didn't ruin it (the party), but I knew it could have been better if it was on MTV."
    No Mrs. Skjodt your daughter isn't, like, spoiled at all.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Who on earth thinks that 16 is the start of adulthood? What a load of crap!
    True

Quote Originally Posted by RickDerris View Post
    i hope to hit puberty in the near future
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    No Mrs. Skjodt your daughter isn't, like, spoiled at all.
    LOL and so true

I didn't even see my parents on my 16 birthday they had to work all day.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The first thing I thought of after reading what Samantha said after dying from laughing of course was Cartman from South Park and one of his famous lines, "But mmmmooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm...."

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

My mini quinceanera was fun, but I don't see anything big coming up for my Sweet Sixteen. I don't want anything too big either. Probably a get together of friends. I'll probably go to the Nov. 24th Pacers vs Cavs game with my closer friends though.

But special, Levine explained, isn't about what people flaunt, have and can afford -- special is a child who feels comfortable in his or her own skin. If parents instill in kids a sense that they're special for the wrong reasons, she said, they're destined to experience disappointment.

"These kids will be rudely awakened, because the world won't treat them so well," Levine said. "When they're 22, they'll be lucky if they get a cake in the office on their birthday. But if all they've internalized is that they're special, then just getting a cake is a devastating affront to their specialness."

Most importantly, Levine cited the fact that researchers who've studied almost a million people worldwide concluded that -- once basic needs are met -- there is a zero correlation between money and happiness.

"Parents are sort of deluded to believe that the more stuff they provide kids, the happier they'll be," Levine said. "Kids need a whole bunch of things beyond material goods."
    Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboHicks View Post
    Cindy Skjodt, 48, spent six months planning a 16th birthday bash for her twins, Erik and Samantha.

More...
    I don't think it's even legal to talk about 16 year old girls dancing in cages.

However, aware that the documentary-style TV show typically presents teens as spendthrift brats, Skjodt declined."My kids are not like that, and I didn't want them to be portrayed like the spoiled-rotten kids on that TV show," she said. "Although Samantha was really upset and said she doesn't forgive me."
    yup a party that is atleast 100,00 dollars... u must have the most humble and unspoiled child in the world... yup mine was 900,000 dollars and a bentley (even though i failed the driving test)... pfft that child is deprived

Wait...she's complaining because her 100K party wasn't on TV? That disappointed her? Despite the aforementioned cost of an "undergraduate education at a decent college" party? No wait...that makes perfect sense to me.

5 years ago my daughter was a 2nd grader and was invited to a birthday party in a local park for one of her classmates, a kid that I didn't know and she had never talked about. The invitation said that parents were invited to stay as well.

We arrived and the lawn of the park had 4 huge inflatable bouncy houses/super slides.

There were 2 catering trucks marked "4 Seasons Hotel, Boston".

They had a snow cone machine for the kids, and a beautifully sculpted huge birthday cake with the likeness of Shrek, along with pizza for the kids. Everything was served by chefs wearing big hats and "4 seasons" aprons.

The parents didn't have to eat pizza-- there was a refrigerated seafood bar with chilled shrimp, Alaskan King Crab legs, and other delicacies, with wine.

Turns out that the kid throwing the party is the son of some oil baron from the United Arab Emirates. Thet must have forked over thousands for that party.

I encouraged my daughter to be nice to that boy!

I think that he only went to school in the US for that one year.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)