Thread: Still a trading partner with ATL?

Default Still a trading partner with ATL?

I have been thinking about this and I still believe we will trade with ATL, however, it will be in the form of the 3 way trade. We still make the perfect trading partner with ATL since we have the TE and they don't want to take back contracts.

I think we might end up being part of a trade in which we get Harrington for our TE and maybe a draft pick and then trade him to the third team... This would help us in many ways, because we would no longer only have to take back contracts 7.6 million or less as we would by using the TE. If Harrington is signed for 7.6 million during his first year and we trade for him and then send him to the third team we can actually take back a player making 9.5 Million. What is even better is that we can even then package one of our players (foster?) with Harrington and bring back a near max player because we couldn't package another player with the TE but we can with Harrington. So I have a feeling something like this will happen and if we ended up with someone like say Ray Allen (or some other good second scoring option) and all we give up is maybe Foster and a draft pick and our TE then I would be extreamly happy.. Thoughts about us being part of a three team trade now?

Jer_Freak

Default Re: Still a trading partner with ATL?

There is no trade with ATL anymore.

I don't see why it wouldn't be a possibility...but I definitely don't want to talk about it. Having said that, it's unlikely IMO because of the current situation.

KiiiLLAKiiiiD

never gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by KiiiLLAKiiiiD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    never gonna happen.
    Why not? Harrington still wants the 6 year 57 million contract....
    ATL still doesn't want to take on salaries...

Makes perfect since to me that we are involved but we get a player that we actually want/need instead of a player that plays the same positions as JO and Granger!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nope, the Pacers obviously think we don't need him. No trade with ATL.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I think some people here are confusing the original poster's idea of a 3-way trade involving our TE and Atlanta to mean that we'd get Al back. That's obviously not going to happen, as we don't want to give him the $/years he wants.

If he'd be willing to take the 6yr/$57M deal we could've offered him playing for a different team, however, and Atlanta still prefers the TE to anything those other teams offer, then we could still be players in a trade involving Al.

For example, we could use the TE to facilitate a trade between Atlanta and Minnesota, where the TWolves get Al, Atlanta gets a 1st round pick, and we get Ricky Davis (or perhaps a package of Hassell and Griffin or McCants).

Denver might be another possibility, whereby we'd get Najera and Boykins.

Lakers could work, too, where we'd get Mihm, McKie and Vujacic.

I doubt it'll work out this way, but it all depends on whether Al would take the $7.6M starting salary to play for a team other than the Pacers (and therefore make the TE viable in a 3-team trade), and whether the Hawks would prefer a trade using the TE so they don't have to take any salary back over whatever players they're offered by other teams for Harrington.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Jer_Freak

Can we move on already?

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    I think some people here are confusing the original poster's idea of a 3-way trade involving our TE and Atlanta to mean that we'd get Al back. That's obviously not going to happen, as we don't want to give him the $/years he wants.

If he'd be willing to take the 6yr/$57M deal we could've offered him playing for a different team, however, and Atlanta still prefers the TE to anything those other teams offer, then we could still be players in a trade involving Al.

For example, we could use the TE to facilitate a trade between Atlanta and Minnesota, where the TWolves get Al, Atlanta gets a 1st round pick, and we get Ricky Davis (or perhaps a package of Hassell and Griffin or McCants).

I doubt it'll work out this way, but it all depends on whether Al would take the $7.6M starting salary to play for a team other than the Pacers (and therefore make the TE viable in a 3-team trade), and whether the Hawks would prefer a trade using the TE so they don't have to take any salary back over whatever players they're offered by other teams for Harrington.
    I concur totally.....and dont count out this possibility from happening. Also realize that in this case we'd really have the hammer on both Atlanta and the "mystery team" bidding for Al from a negotiation standpoint......in theory, Al can't sign anywhere we don't approve of.....its very likely we'd demand a huge bounty from the mystery 3rd team, including a first round pick and or young players we want to add to our team as well....the Simons would probably demand the full 3 million in cash thats allowed too. If the mystery 3rd team doesnt want to play ball, then screw them. Its also just as likely that we wouldnt let Al go to any team in the East either, as Im sure we don't want to help a team we have to compete with.

These factors and more are why after a day of thought that I think its still likely, maybe 60/40 or more, that Al ends up here, as I put in a thread I just started.

JMO

don't count an atlanta/indy harrington trade out completely - certainly this was a setback - but until someone else steps forward with a better deal that works for both harrington and atlanta - the pacers are still a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post

You are correct... The Pacers dont' want to pay Harrington for 6 years but like you said other teams would. However, ATL still doesn't want to take back contracts and would be happy just getting a draft pick from us.

THAT IS WHY I THINK WE WILL BE PLAYERS IN A THREE TEAM TRADE THAT SENDS AL TO ANOTHER TEAM AND WE GET A COUPLE DECENT PLAYERS OR ONE REALLY GOOD PLAYER.

Again we would never see Harrington but we could trade him to one of the mentioned teams for a couple young players or we can combine Harrington with one of our players and go for a near max player that will actually help this team NOW.

For Example: This is only an example and NOT what the actual trade would look like....

Pacers trade 1st round pick to ATL for Harrington

ATL recieves 1st round pick and trades Harrington to Pacers

Then Pacers trade Harrington, Foster, and maybe filler to Philly for AI

Philly trades AI for Harrington, Foster, and filler to the Pacers

Like I said this is NOT what I think will happen but this is just am example of the type of deal we could do. AL has HUGE trade value and so does Foster (but not as much as AL) so we should be able to get a decent player back for those two. But in no way will we ever see AL as a Pacer and that is NOT what my idea here is about.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Pacers make a trade involving Al Harrington its for themselves. He will not be sent elsewhere by them. As Eric Pincus said , it all depends on the market for Al . In the end the 4 year Pacer offer may be his best offer.

Until Donnie uses the TE , I still think he has it targeted for Harrington, the other reasonable options are limited at best.

I'm not ready to say Harrington will not end up a Pacer this season just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    If the Pacers make a trade involving Al Harrington its for themselves.
    Thats the thing... The Pacers really don't want him because he plays the same position as JO and Granger... Al's trade value will get the Pacers a better player than the TE by itself for the simple fact that they would be able to take on a player making more money.

Again if the Pacers are part of a three way trade with the Hawks they can trade for Harrington and then trade him to the other team. This has more value than just the TE because we could then take on a contract upto 9.5 million instead of being restricted by the 7.6 million TE... Plus teams would rather have a player like AL. So then AL could actually get us a player that we need (and not force JO to play center or cut into Grangers developement). To me this makes perfect since and I definately think something like this will happen. It is fairly creative just like us getting the TE and I think it has a real chance of happening.

I'm not convinced the Lakers will give Harrington more than 4 years either. LA has a pretty decent straight up package for Atlanta - not many other teams can say the same. I don't think any of the other options would work as a seamless 2-team trade.

If it comes down to Indy vs. LA - I suppose the question would be who offers more $/years.

I'm not sure Indy wouldn't win out.

Jer_Freak

Funny cause i heard the Lakers are willing to give 5 years...

Jer - from a valid source? things are quite murky - that would be a helpful piece of info to verify.