Thread: My grandmother is in the hospital

Default My grandmother is in the hospital

Well, she's more than my grandmother; she's closer to being a third parent. She lived next door to my parents my whole life.

She's undergoing chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia (both relatively slow progressing cancers). A couple of treatments ago, she developed anemia, they did a blood transfusion, and she felt much better. When I went home last weekend, she was pretty weak. I figured when she went in for chemo Monday they'd find she had anemia again (which she did), give her a blood transfusion (which they did), and she'd bounce back like she did last time (which she didn't).

She's been hospitalized. She apparently had pulmonary edema (I think) from excess fluid from her transfusion. Her veins collapsed and they've essentially mainlined her. Now her pulse is 180 and they don't know what's going on. Tomorrow she's going in for (as my Dad said) "very, very risky" diagnostic procedures.

This is, as you can imagine, very distressing. Although my grandmother just turned 87 on Monday, she's been relatively healthy. It was only a couple of years ago we were able to convince her to stop mowing the freakin' lawn. And although no cancer is good, her cancers were slow progressing and the doctors were taking a wait and watch approach until she was recruited for this experimental treatment (the drugs aren't experimental, it's the combination that's being tested).

I don't know if I should miss work and go to the hospital tomorrow or wait until Saturday. I miss more work than I should and I've been trying to improve that, especially since I'm trying to get the permanent position (although I've probably got it anyway). I don't have benefits, so I'll miss the day's wages (but that's not especially important). School starts Monday, but it hasn't been excessively busy this week and they can probably function without me.

I think, if I don't go and something serious happens, I'll hate myself for going to work. But if I go, I'll probably be in the way. I visited last weekend and I spoke to her on the phone Tuesday. What should I do?
    Dean Winchester: It takes two to... you know, have hardcore sex.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: My grandmother is in the hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if I should miss work and go to the hospital tomorrow or wait until Saturday.
    Since it sounds like she's very close to you, I would definitely suggest you go. You just never know.

My prayers will be with her.

First of all I'm sorry to read this. I know you told me about her struggles before and I was hoping she'd get through it as smoothly as could be expected. I think if it were me, I'd try to be there with her instead of at work if at all possible. If it's going to considerably hurt you to miss work, then you may have to stick around home, but if not then I'd be with her and hope she makes it through this. In fact, either way you might want to go; it's family. Hang in there as best you can.

Mood

Yeah, take the day off. It's better to miss something like work than your grandma - you can find another job much easier than another grandma. Take every chance you can to see her.

Thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, especially and your grandma.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with everyone else here Family >>>> Work

Especially close family liek she sounds to be. My prayers are also with you.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I'm sorry to hear your grandmother is not doing well.

I don't think anyone can tell you what to do... there isn't a right or wrong answer in my opinion.

Do what you feel you need to do and make sure she knows how you feel about her. It sounds like she does. It sounds like you have a great relationship.

I would go to the hospital Kat.

You can never replace the time spent with Family, you can always find a new job.

I ended up not going today. It's not about the job. I think, ultimately, it was about having something to *DO* and not wringing my hands with worry all day in a hospital.

She's doing a lot better today (pulse down, oxygen up, etc.). They even cancelled one of the tests. The other test has been done and she's doing okay. We're just waiting on a culture now.

Thanks for the support, guys.
    Dean Winchester: It takes two to... you know, have hardcore sex.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Update:

Kat has spent the weekend in Indy visiting her grandmother in the hospital. Her grandmother's condition has fluctuated for the past 48 hours, and the doctors still do not have an exact diagnosis.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Kat, I hope your grandmother pulls out. If you'd like to ask some questions to help translate what is going on I might be able to put things into english for you so you understand it better. All the catch phrases you are throwing out have made me be able to understand what is going on - so you can PM me if you have any questions maybe I can explain things out to you. I hope she gets well, she's in my prayers.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I did not see this until now.

Kat my thoughts and prayers go out to your Grandmother and yourself.
    I've been there when the toughest thing is not knowing exactly what the situation is.
    I hope everything works out ok.

Why Not Us ?