View Poll Results: WHo are you rooting for?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Venezuala

1 0.68%
  • Argentina

1 0.68%
  • France

0 0%
  • Serbia

5 3.38%
  • Lebanon

1 0.68%
  • Nigeria

0 0%
  • Spain

0 0%
  • Panama

0 0%
  • Germany

4 2.70%
  • Japan

0 0%
  • New Zealand

1 0.68%
  • Angola

0 0%
  • Lithuania

32 21.62%
  • Brazil

0 0%
  • Greece

2 1.35%
  • Turkey

2 1.35%
  • Australia

3 2.03%
  • Qatar

2 1.35%
  • USA

85 57.43%
  • Puerto Rico

1 0.68%
  • China

4 2.70%
  • Italy

2 1.35%
  • Slovenia

1 0.68%
  • Senegal

1 0.68%
Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Official World Championships of Basketball thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official World Championships of Basketball thread

at least it seems I'm not missing a classic.....france leads 49-35 after three quarters.

Yeah, that's right. Angola has 35 points in 30 minutes. they're shooting a blistering %28 from the floor.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Angola makes a late run but falls in the end to france, 68-62. France moves on.

That's 7 down, one more team left.

And now Greece struggles against China. Greece 17-25 China, at the beginning of 2nd quarter.

Yao is shut, but greeks do not hit their shots.

Greeks managed to improve their shootimg and now they lead by 5. After 2nd quarter 41-36.

In 3rd quarter China scored only 6 points, whereas Greece 26 I guess we allready know all quarterfinal teams.

China already did 21 turnovers more than Greece (2 against 23) and is marching for the victory with score 81:53. 5 min left.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

- Albert Einstein

China is absolutely dead talking about the defence: 4 offensive rebounds versus 15 Greece.

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ask RImfire about that. I'm sure he remembers game 7 of the 1995 eastern semis relatively well...
    Ahem.

That would be game 5 in 1993.

At least that's the one I remember.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

And the final score Greece 95 China 64. Easy as a cake.

- Albert Einstein

Yao only 5 attempts to score from FG and 10 points. It's hard to win the games when there plays only one person.

- Albert Einstein

Um...anyone doubting my boys now? I'm telling you, it's going to be a hard game for the U.S. in the semis (if both beat Germany and France).

Yao had 10 pts...a good third of his average.

Greece had 3 turnovers...they forced China into 24.

And we didn't play all that hot...the first quarter was horrible...like the U.S.'s game.

I am totally buying the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post

Greece had 3 turnovers...they forced China into 24.

I wonder if these numbers are record numbers of world championships - Greece 3 turnovers, 21 less than opponents?

And, btw, your boys took 10 rebounds in offence more than China.

Overall, impressive statistics. Your boys were on fire. Definitely.

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pitons View Post
    I wonder if these numbers are record numbers of world championships - Greece 3 turnovers, 21 less than opponents?

And, btw, your boys took 10 rebounds in offence more than China.

Overall, impressive statistics. Your boys were on fire. Definitely.
    For any Argentinian, Spaniard, or Greek we know that this our year to beat the U.S. too. By 2008 they will have been together for three years and will feature Kobe, Chauncey, Redd, Marion, and Amare in addition to Wade, Melo, and LeBron being fully in their prime (not to mention Bosh, Joe Johnson, or Chris Paul). Don't get me wrong, the U.S. is the top team now, but if any of the other contenders brings their A-game and the U.S. doesn't, it's wide-open.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Um...anyone doubting my boys now? I'm telling you, it's going to be a hard game for the U.S. in the semis
    The only chance for USA to win gold is to play France in semis, and Turkey in the final
    Won't happen

The Greeks are the best halfcourt team in this tournament, that's pretty evident. They've been able to defensively clamp down on everyone in the tournmanet so far.

That said, if the US can score on them consistently, I'm not sure if Greece can play at the US tempo.

The US hasn't played a team as good as Greece yet, but Greece has yet to play a team as good as the US either.

blow

I think the Greeks are the best at this WBC at slowing the tempo down. And it's good, of course. I'm all for Greece right now. Their defense is brilliant, absolutely magnificant. I want the US's to see Sofoklis under the rim. I guess their jaws are gonna be wiiiide open.

Quote Originally Posted by blow View Post
    I want the US's to see Sofoklis under the rim. I guess their jaws are gonna be wiiiide open.
    You talk like that *removed; read the rules* is some sort of secret weapon nobody knows about...

We saw Sofoklis already. Somehow I doubt we'll be very impressed....

blow

Well me's also amazingly quick for his seize. Oh no it's no secret, but US team has never played against him yet. And I don't think he'll dominate. Not at all, but the way he looks is stunning and will be for guys like Bosh. Three Boshes = Sofoklis. Only the way he looks, not the game he plays. But who knows.

*removed; read the rules*
    What do you want me to call him, dietarily challenged? He's 6'8" and 300+ lbs!

There are plenty of overwight big men in the NBA, blow, and most of them can move as fast as Sofoklis. He isn't anything we haven't seen before.

You're ridiculous, man. He's a good player on one of the best teams in the world, and you're writing him off as fat and slow. While your basketball knowledge must certainly eclipse the combined abilities of the entire nation of Greece, I'm pretty sure their coaching staff has a few reasons they give him PT.

I'm not writing him off as slow. I'm writing him off as fat. Pay attention

He plays because he can indimidate most international big men with his size, and his massive gravitational pull sucks in 2-3 defenders, giving his teamates open shots.

That said, he's not going to last very long if the US gets Greece into a transition game.

Against most international frontlines, yeah he's effective. I just don't see it happening if he has to go up against Howard, Brand, and Bosh. Too much athleticism there for him to deal with.

some interesting thoughts from the international media on the US team...

http://insider.espn.go.com/oly/wbc20...ory?id=2562767

Quote Originally Posted by Achileas Karalis, Athletici Macedoneas newspaper, northern Greece
    "We know everything about the U.S. team. We know that there are too many good players from the NBA, they are famous all over the world. In Greece, our team is the European champion, and we are waiting to see the Greek team against the U.S. It will be good game. All over the world, they want to see the U.S. in first place because in Indianapolis the Serbian team won the gold medal."
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran Radovic, FIBA.com, Serbia
    "I think they are the favorites, but I think it will be quite different in the semifinal against Greece and the final possibly against Argentina or Spain, It will be a big challenge for the U.S., but I still think they are the favorites."
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Manthei, TV New Zealand Ltd
    "Well, if they play like that again, they could win. But the big matchup will be with Argentina. But this is the best USA team I've seen. I saw them in Indianapolis and they were embarrassing. I saw them in the Olympics and they couldn't shoot. But they've selected the team that can win this tournament. They're young, they're keying, they're playing well together, and from what I've just seen here they're probably the most talented and best team here. But don't look past Argentina. They've been together for many years, they play the international game comprehensively, almost as well as it can be played, and they emphasize the strength maybe to knock some of the United States players around. And maybe down the stretch when USA players are used to getting timeout after timeout, sometimes they don't know what to do with the ball when the clock keeps running, and the Argentinians do. So it will be a fantastic matchup, but I like the look of this USA team. They are the real deal, and selecting Coach [Mike] Krzyzewski was a brilliant move."
    Of course the lone whiner about the officiating would be an Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Guerrini, Tuttosport, Turin, Italy
    "I think they will win, but I think the most important games will be against Argentina, Greece and Spain, teams that can play better defense than the opponents the U.S. has faced up to now. I think they are a lot better than the last two or three USA teams. They have a better approach, a better defense, they know better the opponents, they prepare the game. So they have the right way to face this kind of competition, and they have five players that are the best in the world. Dwyane Wade is fantastic, I think Carmelo Anthony may be better in FIBA competition than in NBA competition. The only problem I think is interpretation of the rules in traveling. It depends on FIBA, will they play with NBA or FIBA rules? Because we see the U.S. players, when they start dribbling, they move one foot more than European or Australian players."
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivier Pheulpin, L'Equipe, France (based in San Antonio)
    "I think they will win, but I was saying that before that [Australia] game, because they finally seem to get it. You know, defensively, offensively, you have a team there, and team is the key word. You have the best athletes, the best players. Suddenly you have a team. I used to believe Bowen was good, but Shane [Battier] is as good as he is, and he's shooting the ball so nicely. But again, you haven't played any of the good teams. You only have to win two games to win the championship. That's the only thing that bothers me about the whole championship: The U.S. will only be tested twice. If you win those two, you're the world champion. But that's the way it is."

Quote Originally Posted by Djordje Matic, DSL Sport newspaper, Belgrade, Serbia
    "I don't think so. It's real tough, the Spanish and the Greeks. They play a different kind of basketball. They think only of themselves."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Nicholson, photographer, Reuters news agency, London, England (based in Los Angeles)
    "I think they'll win just because their attitude is way better than it's ever been, and they're taking it way more seriously, playing as a team and fighting hard for four quarters. They just seem significantly better than every team they've played."
    Quote Originally Posted by Takashi Aoki, Hoop Japan magazine (based in Detroit)
    "They'll win. They have enough shooters. They can break a zone defense, and they have better chemistry. Coach K gave them freedom, and that's a good thing. If they struggle, they play one-on-one and they can score or get fouled and make free throws."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksander Chernykh, basketball.ru, Russia
    "I think Team USA is not such a great favorite as it seems when we looked at the rosters before the tournament. The game against Italy showed the team has flaws. Whoever it plays in the final, to prognosticate that game is like playing paper, rock and scissors because Argentina and Spain look solid, but they also have their flaws. Spain didn't look so confident playing against the tough Serbian defense, and the Serbs played really rough. Pau Gasol looked disgruntled at halftime. I would say it's 50-50 they win or lose."
    Quote Originally Posted by Demitrios Chrysanthis, SportDay newspaper, Athens, Greece
    "I think they have strong chances to win tournament, but I'm not sure. It's not like 10 years before when Dream Team was unbeatable. I think there are some teams that can beat the U.S. team, but I think still they are the strongest contender. I saw this team for the first time today, and I saw they like to play in one-on-one situations. I saw they didn't face [any] traps, no zone defense, nothing like that. Greeks play more complicated basketball. This is a strong weapon for Greece. If the United States cannot find some solutions against this defense, they will have some problems. But still, the United States is the better team and the favorite team for winning a game like that. It's a matter of how quick will they find solutions against the Greek team "
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Alvarez, Paes newspaper, Spain
    "I think the USA team is the team that has the most chance to win. The Spanish team, I think it's possible arrives at the final, or Argentinian team also, and [either can] make it very, very difficult for U.S. team, because the play in FIBA basket is a little bit different than NBA. And I think most styles of NBA players have problems [playing FIBA rules]. But I think that finally the US team is the favorite."
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Borsutzky, FIBA,com and Rock and Pop FM Radio, Argentina
    "It's the strongest team here at the World Cup, it has very nice players, and they are hungry to win this medal. They have the strength to win the championship. It will be a battle, and I am from Argentina, but I think they have to win because they have a great team. They will face nice matches against Spain and Argentina, so it will be hard for USA, but I think they will win."

I'm not writing him off as slow. I'm writing him off as fat. Pay attention

He plays because he can indimidate most international big men with his size, and his massive gravitational pull sucks in 2-3 defenders, giving his teamates open shots.

That said, he's not going to last very long if the US gets Greece into a transition game.

Against most international frontlines, yeah he's effective. I just don't see it happening if he has to go up against Howard, Brand, and Bosh. Too much athleticism there for him to deal with.
    The thing you guys are missing is that Sofoklis isn't our main big guy. Papadopoulos and Fotsis are our crunch time go-to-guys in the frontcourt.

Funny thing is that I am not in the least offended by Kstat's commentary because the truth is that nobody on the Greek team is NBA-starter quality. That's not what makes us good though so who cares? What makes us so good is the team-mentality and tremendous discipline on offense as well as defense.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    The thing you guys are missing is that Sofoklis isn't our main big guy. Papadopoulos and Fotsis are our crunch time go-to-guys in the frontcourt.
    I saw the game. I realize Sofoklis isn't Greece's #1 guy. They wouldn't be very good if he was.

The only reason I said anything about Baby Oliver was because blow brought him up, and bulldog proceeded to defend him.....

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    Funny thing is that I am not in the least offended by Kstat's commentary because the truth is that nobody on the Greek team is NBA-starter quality.
    I totally disagree.

Spanoulis is an NBA-quality player. I love his defense. As well as Greece plays as a team, he's the one that makes the team work.

Especially with JVG as his coach, I think he'll be starting for the Rockets at some point next season.

I saw the game. I realize Sofoklis isn't Greece's #1 guy. They wouldn't be very good if he was.

The only reason I said anything about Baby Oliver was because blow brought him up, and bulldog proceeded to defend him.....

I totally disagree.

Spanoulis is an NBA-quality player. I love his defense. As well as Greece plays as a team, he's the one that makes the team work.

Especially with JVG as his coach, I think he'll be starting for the Rockets at some point next season.
    Yeah, you are probably right. Although to be fair, I didn't say they weren't NBA quality, just not NBA starting-quality. I could be undervalueing my boys. I just wanted to make my point that with Greece it's not about individual play...rarely will you see the same guy lead the team in scoring.

I want Spanoulis to start but I don't think he'll get the nod over T-Mac and Battier. With their injuries he will probably get enough playing time though. I think it's a good pick-up.