Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jay's Official Super Bowl Champion Steelers thread

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jay's Official Super Bowl Champion Steelers thread

WhoDEY??

My Dad and brother have been Bengals fans since the SuperBowl years (there is not a single person interested in the Colts in our family).

so if you're going to ask "Who Dey?" I'm compelled to respond with:

(And by the way, even though I consider the Bengals a bigger rival than the Browns, I think Palmer > Manning but that got torn apart in another thread around here.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Yet another reason to hate the Steelers.

Joey Porter, who isn't even really that great, called Kellen Winslow a f*ggot.

Real mature. He says Kellen Winslow hasn't done anything at TE..but that must be why he leads the league in receptions for TEs on a horrible team.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Joey Porter, who isn't even really that great

Now Joey may be at the beginning of his decline, as I suggested above. He's not been as good this season as he was during the 15-1 season, for example. But you can't show me very many linebackers in history that have a sack and interception in the same season, let alone the same game, as Joey has done numerous times, including a game earlier this season.

He's not sideline-to-sideline like other LBs, so he won't ever lead the league (or even the team) in tackles. He plays vertically, from the offensive backfield to the secondary. And to me, that's even more valuable. Like Gregg Lloyd, he's the prototype OLB for the zone blitz. And like Gregg Lloyd, he's at his best on third down, forcing the other team to punt.

As for this comment, Joey also issued a bizarre apology.

Say what you want about his mouth, but his teammates always respond positively to his motivational ploys. If they didn't, Cowher would have told him to stuff a sock in his mouth a long time ago.

Maybe he's the Rasheed Wallace of the NFL, minus the criminal element and all the technical fouls... loved by his teammates and home-town fans (well, maybe not in Portland) and despised by the rest of the league. So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post

Now Joey may be at the beginning of his decline, as I suggested above. He's not been as good this season as he was during the 15-1 season, for example. But you can't show me very many linebackers in history that have a sack and interception in the same season, let alone the same game, as Joey has done numerous times, including a game earlier this season.

He's not sideline-to-sideline like other LBs, so he won't ever lead the league (or even the team) in tackles. He plays vertically, from the offensive backfield to the secondary. And to me, that's even more valuable. Like Gregg Lloyd, he's the prototype OLB for the zone blitz. And like Gregg Lloyd, he's at his best on third down, forcing the other team to punt.

As for this comment, Joey also issued a bizarre apology.

Say what you want about his mouth, but his teammates always respond positively to his motivational ploys. If they didn't, Cowher would have told him to stuff a sock in his mouth a long time ago.

Maybe he's the Rasheed Wallace of the NFL, minus the criminal element and all the technical fouls... loved by his teammates and home-town fans (well, maybe not in Portland) and despised by the rest of the league. So be it.
    I never liked the guy. And for that, I will always consider him a decent LB who had the luxury of playing with some of the leagues best defensive players.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I never liked the guy. And for that, I will always consider him a decent LB who had the luxury of playing with some of the leagues best defensive players.
    I assume you're still talking about Porter.

I can live with that argument, but I've got to ask a couple questions.

Who on Pittsburgh's defense is "better" than him?

Clearly, last season Troy was. But Troy's a pretty young player.

Casey Hampton, in my opinion, is a more valuable defensive player than Porter, because Casey is reguarly triple-teamed and that gives Joey and Clark Hagaans tremendous opportunities because the OTs have to focus on the DTs and not the OLBs. That leaves one of those two with a tight end blocking them and the other is generally not being blocked.

Farrior plays sideline to sideline and leads the team in tackles, and he's been to the pro bowl. He's a better run stopper once the runner is beyond the line of scrimmage (Joey's run-stops are either in the offensive backfield or non-existent.)

Pittsburgh's achilles heel has been the secondary. Our CBs aren't great, although Ike Taylor - except for the first play of scrimmage against the Colts on MNF last season - played exceptionally well. Until Troy, we hadn't been particuarly talented at safety since Carnell Lake departed. So it wasn't the backfield.

I'd argue that between the time Levon Kirkland left (1999-ish) and when Troy came along (a couple of years ago) that Joey was far-and-away the best player we had on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm happy to hear you elaborate more on your opinion of this. Joey has not always been a "plays every down" linebacker even though he's a tremendous impact player.

And I do think his play has regressed. When the Steelers talk about their inability to get their defense off the field this season, that's what Joey consistently gave them in his prime. He can still do it, just not as often (and, not as timely).