Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay's Official Super Bowl Champion Steelers thread

Default Re: Jay's Official Super Bowl Champion Steelers thread

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That reminds me, I'd told myself if we lost last weekend that I was changing my avatar.

Bye-bye Jerome. I'll miss that SuperBowl trophy. But we're off to a terrible start with it on display. Welcome back Genius #1 and Genius #2.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Interesing article on QB's/ Ben:

The harder they fall
    Jeffri Chadiha, SI.com

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has spent the last four weeks learning a valuable lesson about enjoying too much early success at his position in the NFL: Thriving too quickly often leads to far more criticism down the road. Sure, it's great when the TV cameras can't get enough of you, the ex-jocks on all those pregame shows can't find enough superlatives to describe your play and you get more credit than you deserve for your team's wins. But once your world gets rocked and all those pretty passes start wobbling occasionally and finding opponents' hands too frequently, you learn real fast how much love fans really have for you. That's just the way the game works.

That is why I give Roethlisberger credit for the way he's handled his first bout with adversity as a professional. The proud owner of a 27-4 record coming into the season -- and a Super Bowl ring in his second year to boot -- he discovered how quickly fans would turn on him despite all that success. As soon as he lost three consecutive games, whispers of replacing him with Charlie Batch started and the possibility of Roethlisberger's getting booed at Heinz Field increased exponentially before Sunday's 45-7 win over Kansas City. But he knew this was coming -- maybe not to the extent he has faced, but he expected something ugly.

What Roethlisberger understands is something every young quarterback needs to know: The faster they rise, the harder people want to see them fall. The scrutiny that Roethlisberger faced this past month in Pittsburgh, a city that clearly has a strong love affair with him, is no different than what other quarterbacks have dealt with once they've established themselves as extraordinary talents. These guys raise the level of expectations to such epic levels that it's impossible for them not to face some heavy backlash.

Atlanta's Michael Vick knows this story well. The excitement he brought to the NFL with his brilliant running has been displaced by the constant scrutiny of his passer rating. Miami's Daunte Culpepper was a stud by his second year in Minnesota in 2000; now people like me openly wonder how much Randy Moss, Cris Carter and former Vikings offensive coordinator Scott Linehan (now the head coach of the St. Louis Rams) meant to his Pro Bowl play back then. And as beloved as Donovan McNabb has been in Philadelphia, there is always at least one person who takes a well-publicized shot at him every year.

When you really look at it, there are only three types of quarterbacks who don't face the scrutiny that these quarterbacks have endured once they've played well: 1) those who turn around losing franchises (like Cincinnati's Carson Palmer), 2) those who are the offspring of Archie and Olivia Manning and 3) those who've struggled early in their careers before finding a place to thrive in the league. When it comes to that last group, we can't get enough of those guys.

A player like Carolina's Jake Delhomme -- who toiled in obscurity as a New Orleans Saints backup before leading the Panthers to the Super Bowl in 2003 -- has had a long-standing honeymoon with his fans. He's been an underdog throughout his entire NFL career, a classic overachiever, a humble-yet-competitive type who is basically playing with house money every time he steps under center. The average fan understands this sort of quarterback, roots for him through good and bad times, even cuts him some slack when mistakes add up. These guys, in the eyes of their followers, have paid some major dues.

Kansas City's Trent Green is a hero in that town because fans recall the moment a gruesome hit tore his ACL and ended his tenure in St. Louis before it even started back in 1999. Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck, a former Favre backup in Green Bay, has a similar love-fest brewing with the Seahawks faithful because of his perseverance. And Arizona's Kurt Warner, now contemplating the end of his career, probably still has several fans cheering his name back in St. Louis, where he led the Rams to their first Super Bowl win after Green went down seven years ago.

These players get the benefit of the doubt more often than men like Roethlisberger because they've waited patiently for their chances and done everything they could to make the most of them. That doesn't mean that those players who impress earlier in their careers don't work as hard. It just means that their efforts often don't generate the same compassion among fans.

The only quarterback I've seen who has managed his early success without facing any criticism is New England's Tom Brady. Granted, he has more hardware in his house than you'll find in your local Home Depot, but he has also managed his career in a way that young quarterbacks should emulate. He hasn't written any books. He didn't do many endorsements early in his career, Even his current ads downplay his personality. Brady has carefully manipulated his image so that it doesn't conflict with his team's perception of him. Today he's as close to being "one of the guys" as a rich, handsome, three-time Super Bowl champion with a hot actress girlfriend can be.

Of course, Roethlisberger won't be so lucky as to follow Brady's path. For one, he lives in a town with a long history of pummeling its quarterbacks when they struggle. Even with his star power, he knows that another losing streak will cause more of an outcry. Besides, he's already indulged in his success too much to turn back: He's shown up at music-awards show, had his bushy beard shaved on national television, done one too many Fathead commercials. Most important, he's won too many games -- the expectations of him have reached insane levels.

Once you strip away all the notoriety, Roethlisberger is just like any other quarterback. He's going to be as good as the people around him and he's going to be at his best when those people are playing at the tops of their games as well. It's that understanding that helped him become the beloved Big Ben in Pittsburgh, and it's the same wisdom that will help him handle the scrutiny that follows quarterbacks who have such early success.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tough loss for Big Ben...
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Alright, I was offline for quite a while...

IMO, Batch should play this week.

For this year's Steelers - its still going to be about "getting hot" at the right time. They can recover from a 2-4 start IF Joey's hamstring, Troy's shoulder (which appears to be back to 100%) and Ben's concussions all heal and they stay injury-free the rest of the way.

But now they've gone 2-4 and Ben's in a little worse shape... I still believe he should've gotten some extra time off after the appendectomy. Could Batch have beaten either Jacksonville (maybe) or the Bengals (probably not)? We'd still be 2-4 but Ben would be closer to "ready".

It would be nice to let Ben get healthy. Cowher is falling into the Rick-Carlisle Must-win-every-game robot approach this season. Look at the big picture, Bill. We're playing the freakin' Raiders this week. If we can't beat them without Ben then we deserve to be 2-5. And while we've played well, in just about every game, the turnovers and special teams (its like its 2001-2003 all over again) are just plain killing us.

As for Willie Parker... great at home but my goodness he disappears in road games.

Yeah, and I still can't believe we payed Duce Staley to be the highest-paid cheerleader in pro football...What is wrong with him?

Sorry. I don't know where that came from...Just thinking about Willie Parker's ineffectiveness this year and thought Duce would have been a nice change of pace. But he doesn't play.

As for Ben, yeah, he probably should sit. But, I'm still afraid of Charlie going out there in the Black Hole. I'm not so sure what today will bring, Jay.

Wow..how bad are the Steelers?

No reason to be losing to Oakland.

Well, when you throw four picks total, including two returned for touchdowns, you lose games. No magical analysis needed.

We're winning the "yards from scrimmage" on just about everybody, but seriously losing the turnover and field position/ special teams battles nearly every week. That's why they say "Any given Sunday" and if we don't get our act together quickly we'll have a pretty good team watching the playoffs on television.

Willie Parker is just lousy in road games, but he can rack up yardage at home.

I had TiVo issues today, so I missed most of the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post

I had TiVo issues today, so I missed most of the second half.
    Oh damn, that sucks dude. I hate when that happens.

Not to kick you when you're down Jay, but I figured since this is the official Steelers thread...

I've got a client where the manager is a huge Steelers fan, the kind of guy who goes around and changes people's desktops or screensavers to Pittsburgh stuff. Well, I was out their Friday, and his guys were saying, "Well, at least you shouldn't lose this week, right?" Then, one of them whispers to me to take a look at the manager's car when I leave. They put a Colts license plate on the front of his car a week ago, and he still hasn't noticed yet.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Not to kick you when you're down Jay, but I figured since this is the official Steelers thread...

I've got a client where the manager is a huge Steelers fan, the kind of guy who goes around and changes people's desktops or screensavers to Pittsburgh stuff. Well, I was out their Friday, and his guys were saying, "Well, at least you shouldn't lose this week, right?" Then, one of them whispers to me to take a look at the manager's car when I leave. They put a Colts license plate on the front of his car a week ago, and he still hasn't noticed yet.

On a side note I walked into a bar at New York New York Sunday just in time for the last play of the Pittsburgh/Oakland game. Boy do I wish I'd been there to see more of it.

Steelers fans still have a slight sense of humor.

Today's "Ask the expert" question:

Question: In order to keep the score of the Denver game down to where it is manageable, should the offense always punt on first down?

Clark Henshaw, Fredericksburg, Va.

BOUCHETTE: That was a famous suggestion by quarterback Bubby Brister, who made a speech in New Kensington, Pa., for a beer company during the 1988 season, one in which the Steelers started 2-10 and finished 5-11, the most pathetic season I've ever covered. Perhaps the Raiders never would have scored Sunday had the Steelers punted on first down every time the offense got the ball. At least they would not have scored their only two touchdowns the way they scored them, on interception returns.

Six turnovers today. Five in the red zone.

And one that put the Broncos on the ten yard-line.

Mood

Oh man, Big Ben needs his crutches back. He hasn't looked good without Bettis and Randle el.

Should they start Batch?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Why does everyone make such a big deal about a franchise quarterback?

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    Oh man, Big Ben needs his crutches back. He hasn't looked good without Bettis and Randle el.

Should they start Batch?
    Are you this clueless about QB's?

Roethlisberger on pace to set Steelers records
    Tuesday, November 14, 2006
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One of the seven or so players who stood up at the Steelers' Saturday morning meeting was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. It should come as no surprise considering that he stood up to everything thrown at him all year, from emergency medical procedures to calls for his benching.

Now it's Roethlisberger's turn to do the throwing, and he has done a much better job of it lately. In the past five games, he has compiled a more Big Ben-like passer rating of 101.4 compared to his overall 78.1. During that time, he has 1,474 passing yards, 10 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and completed 70 percent of his throws.

Clouded by the team's record and his high interception total, Roethlisberger is on target to produce the most prolific season by a passer in club history.

He has thrown for 2,043 yards in eight games, an average of 255.4 yards per game. Over the course of 15 games, that would produce 3,830 yards. Terry Bradshaw holds the team record with 3,724 yards in 1979.

Roethlisberger also is tearing through the personal standards he set in his wildly successful first two seasons as a pro. He has thrown for 998 yards the past three games, by far the most he has produced in a three-pack. This, after he threw for 433 yards against Denver Nov. 6, the second-highest total in club history.

It also marked the first time in his career he had consecutive games of more than 300 yards -- he had just two such games in his first two seasons. He has gone over 200 yards in his past seven games. He did it six times last season before the playoffs, and topped 200 four times as a rookie.

Also, for the second time in four games, Roethlisberger threw three touchdown passes. He had one three-touchdown game before this season.

All in all, coach Bill Cowher is happy with his quarterback's performance.

"It was good to see him accurately throwing," Cowher said after Sunday's 38-31 victory against New Orleans at Heinz Field. "He's played pretty well throughout the year except for those one or two throws."

Roethlisberger's high total of 14 interceptions this season is perplexing to Cowher and his offensive staff because it's something Roethlisberger did not do his first two seasons in the league, when he threw a total of 20. He started the season by throwing seven interceptions and no touchdown passes in three games, all losses.

He followed that with two nearly perfect games against Kansas City and Atlanta, before he was knocked out of the Falcons' game with a concussion in the third quarter. He threw for a lot of yards -- 734 -- against Denver and Oakland but also had seven interceptions. Cowher absolved him of two of his three interceptions against Denver and Roethlisberger followed that with none against the Saints.

Roethlisberger, though, has readily accepted blame all season and he did it again Sunday.

"This is a team and a franchise that's used to winning games. For us, not winning and for me to not play well and to think it's been my fault -- it was important to come out and get this win and not turn the ball over."

He also refused to take credit for Sunday's victory, refusing even to say it was his best performance of the season.

"I think it was just a good game all around for all of us," Roethlisberger said. "I think our line played great -- they gave us a lot of time. There were maybe one or two sacks, but the one sack was my fault. I should have gotten rid of it.''
    Ben certainly had a turnover problem the first few weeks, recovering from his accident, appendectomy, and ATL concussion.

But - other than turnovers - Ben has been playing good football and moving the team quite well.

Another pick returned for a score.

Another red zone interception.

All three interceptions were passes that were in the hands of the receivers first. Maybe the one pass was too high but it wouldn't have been picked off if the receiver (Holmes) didn't bat the ball right into the hands of the defensive player.

Thank goodness we were playing the Browns.

Dear God, that was a dominant performance.

The Ravens look like a Super Bowl team, now that they're generally competent (or better) on offense.

They're probably the most "balanced" team I've seen in a long time.

Even Alan Faneca played poorly, and with Hines Ward and Troy Polyolyalyolyamu injured, this team is in disarray.

I've held off on saying this, but the Steelers are famous for letting their linebackers go right before they turn into average players. When the Steelers didn't give Joey Porter an extension last summer, that told me something.

I think this is his last year of being "good." I see somebody else really overpaying him this offseason.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Steelers are cooked.

Mood

The Ravens are a Super Bowl team that lost to Cincy.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    The Ravens are a Super Bowl team that lost to Cincy.
    Actually, they came within a hairs breath of being shut out by Cincy.

Mood

I need to learn how to use that smilie.

The Ravens are hard to figure out, aren't they.

As for the Steelers...

Advancing to playoffs unlikely for Steelers; reasons abound
    Tuesday, December 12, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Winning four of their past five games has put thoughts of making the playoffs into many a Steelers fan's head, and, perhaps, even the Steelers believe they still have a shot.

More likely, they soon will think of what might have been.

The Steelers will be eliminated from playoff contention this weekend even if they win Sunday as long as Jacksonville and Cincinnati both win, according to the NFL. The Steelers would lose tiebreakers to either team in any scenario if all three finish 9-7. Two wild-card teams make the playoffs from each conference.

Even coach Bill Cowher wondered aloud about some of his team's close losses during his news conference yesterday.

"I can think of two or three games that probably a year ago we would have won," Cowher said. "Who can say what those two or three games would create, momentum-wise, and what that creates opportunity wise?"

Forget the momentum, two or three more victories would have given the Steelers a record of 8-5 or 9-4 and in the lead for at least a wild-card playoff berth or hot on the heels of Baltimore for the AFC North Division title. Instead, they are 6-7 and must win their final three games to have a small chance at making it as a wild-card team at 9-7.

"We understand where we are," Cowher said. "It's the same place we've been. We have no margin of error. We have three games left and three very tough opponents beginning this week with Carolina."

Three, possibly four losses, rank among the most galling to them this season:

The Bengals beat them, 28-20, Sept. 24 in Heinz Field, even though the Steelers outgained them in yards, 365-246. A turning point came early when, with a 7-0 lead and a first down on Cincinnati's 6, Ben Roethlisberger threw an interception in the end zone. That happened twice among his three interceptions. The Steelers also lost two fumbles, one by punt-returner Ricardo Colclough in the fourth quarter, when the Steelers led, 17-14, that set up a touchdown.

The Falcons beat them, 41-38, in overtime in Atlanta Oct. 22, although the Steelers outgained them, 473-399. There were no interceptions, but there were three lost fumbles by the Steelers, each of which the Falcons converted into touchdowns. The Steelers had a 17-7 lead in the second quarter.

Officials called a false-start penalty as the Steelers were spiking the ball near the end of regulation to try a 51-yard field goal and, by rule, 10 seconds were run off the clock to send the game into overtime. That prompted Dan Rooney to say, "These officials should be ashamed of themselves."

The Steelers never led in a 20-13 loss at Oakland Oct. 29, but they outgained the Raiders, 360-98. The Raiders returned two Roethlisberger interceptions for touchdowns, one for 100 yards, two of four interceptions he threw. Oakland has not won a game since and is 2-11.

Denver won, 31-20, in Heinz Field, although the Steelers outgained the Broncos, 499-336. Roethlisberger threw three interceptions, and the Steelers lost three of their six fumbles.

Most NFL teams can point to games they should have won. Even the Steelers could do so last season despite winning the Super Bowl -- 23-20 at home to New England, 23-17 in overtime at home to Jacksonville, 16-13 in overtime in Baltimore and 38-31 to Cincinnati at home, despite outgaining them 474-324.

That's why, when Cowher said that last season they might have won the close games they're losing this season, it is not necessarily so.

"Going into last week's game we were 5-7, and somebody asked what was the difference between last year," Cowher said. "Last year, we were 7-5. You're talking about a two-game difference."

Of course, they won a close game too, 24-20, in Cleveland.

"We are where we are and we're dealing with it," Cowher said. "We have the opportunity ahead of us now. We will need help.

"But we've got to take care of business, and those other things will take care of themselves."

They always do; there's just not much chance they will take care of themselves in the Steelers' favor this time.
    If only ...
    With their hopes for a playoff berth hanging barely by a thread it's easy to look back on what might have been. Here are four games that could have changed the Steelers' season.

Sept. 24 vs. Bengals

Lost, 28-20, but outgained the Bengals, 365-246. Ricardo Colclough muffed a punt in the fourth quarter with Steelers holding a 17-14 lead. Turnovers: 5.

Oct. 22 at Falcons

Lost, 41-38, in overtime, but outgained the Falcons, 473-399. A false-start penalty kept the Steelers from attempting a winning field goal. Turnovers: 4.

Oct. 29 at Raiders

Lost, 20-13, but outgained the Raiders, 360-98. Oakland returned two interceptions for touchdowns. Turnovers: 4.

Nov. 5 vs. Broncos

Lost, 31-20, but outgained the Broncos, 499-366. The Steelers fumbled six times, losing three. Turnovers: 6.

WhoDEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way......I went to school with lil Ben. He's an arrogant prick and a bad QB.

Carson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Ben

no disrespect intended

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why is every post of yours in this forum the same?

We get it, the Bengals are the best football's ever seen.

Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions