Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay's Official Super Bowl Champion Steelers thread

Hybrid View

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jay's Official Super Bowl Champion Steelers thread

This seemed to work reasonably well for an official "Saras" thread. I don't want to crap in a bunch of Colts' threads, but still have a good-natured banter about the Steelers. (And for those of you that didn't have good-natured things to say, don't forget I can read the deleted posts.)

So the handful of Steelers fans can just keep to ourselves over here, and the rest of you can drop by and insult and disrespect us any time you like.

Here are my thoughts from the summer/ early training camp.

Ben => Lucky son of a gun. Let's move on.

Cowher => I've said many times that I think Cowher is the best coach in all professional sports. The primary counterpoint was that he hadn't won the "big one." Now he has, and he's still the same coach. And I still think he's the best coach in all professional sports. Although Pat Riley's return to coaching makes that an interesting competition. But the rumors of his pending departure from the Steelers make me nervous. And, frankly, I can't imagine him have coaching success anywhere else. He's a 'system' coach. And franchises looking for coaches are looking for a 'quick fix', not a 'system coach.' (Imagine Cowher working for the Redskins' owner or someone else as ADD as that. Yikes!) It takes years to draft for a 3-4 defense and to find pulling guards for the smashmouth running offense.

Holmes => I think this was a bad draft pick. Although it sounds like he's going to be able to clear his name from all the accusations over the summer. I fear a repeat of the Troy Edwards era. We needed a big, bruising RB to replace Jerome. Maybe that's Duce, but not likely.

I just can't wait to see this team play defense again. Joey Porter. Troy Polyalymolymolymu Dick LeBeau

Considering the team slipped to 11-5 last season, then got everybody from the 15-1 team two years ago healthy for the playoff run... I have no idea what to expect in terms of a letdown. They were not the "favorites" last season (in spite of going 15-1 two seasons ago) and don't appear to be the "favorites" this season either. Maybe that will keep them on edge.

But with Bettis retiring (we'll miss his leadership), my concerns over the running game, and a knuckleheaded QB who probably won't be 100% this season, and the potential uncertainty surrounding Cowher, I think a repeat is a long-shot.

Not to mention, we still can't beat NE head-to-head in the playoffs so in a way we just put ourselves in position to take advantage of their injury-plagued season last year.

Now, as I said at the top, I'll stay out of the Colts' threads. Unless Bill Pollian and Tony Dungy start calling me out again during their weekly press conferences. If you don't want to read this, then don't. Its simple. If you want to talk smack, then let's have fun.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

teY dennaB toN

Default Re: Jay's Official Super Bowl Champion Steelers thread

I don't know Jay . . . this thread just pales in comparison with the official Eagles thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know Jay . . . this thread just pales in comparison with the official Eagles thread.
    woohoo

teY dennaB toN

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204 View Post
    woohoo

There ya go.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204 View Post
    woohoo
    I love you guys.

Jay, you better remove this thread or I'll send Howard Mudd after you on his cart.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

"I remain optimistic and hopeful that we will be able to conclude a contract extension which will keep Bill coaching the Pittsburgh Steelers for many more years. However, we have all agreed that at this time we will continue those conversations after this season so that Bill's focus, and the focus of the entire organization can be on the excitement and challenge of defending the Super Bowl championship."

Cowher's decision to not sign an extension has created speculation he may retire at the end of the season, with the possibility of him returning elsewhere as an NFL coach in a few years. He and his family have purchased a $2.5 million luxury home in Raleigh, N.C., where he attended North Carolina State, and Cowher's wife and youngest daughter are expected to live there this season.

His other two daughters will attend Princeton.

Cowher said as recently as last month that he hasn't decided if he will coach again next season. However, Cowher was unhappy when former Steelers star Jerome Bettis predicted on NBC-TV on Sunday that Cowher might be in his final season in Pittsburgh.

Cowher wouldn't comment Tuesday on the Steelers' statement, standing by remarks he made Monday that he won't talk again this season about his future plans.

"There's been a lot of speculation about my future, I'm here to say once again that it's purely that, speculation," Cowher said Monday. "I don't like talking about the contract because we're in camp. I love coaching football, I love coaching here and there's been a lot of speculation and I'm going to leave it at that.

"I can't control the future -- again, that takes two sides -- but I do have two years left on my contract, contrary to what some people think. And that's all I want to talk about it," he said.

Cowher now has a chance to do what his predecessor, Chuck Noll, did by winning Super Bowls in consecutive seasons. Noll did so twice, in the 1974-75 and 1978-79 seasons. Noll (193-148-1) and Cowher (141-82-1) both rank among the top 10 in career coaching victories with one team, with Noll fifth and Cowher ninth.

The Steelers have the NFL's best regular season record since Cowher was hired in 1992, 141-82-1. The Packers are second with a 141-83 record.

Steelers football.

I don't think the Cowher thing is too big of a deal right now, Jay. I think he's being smart and waiting until later to discuss a contract. I think he'll have a new one around Pro Bowl time.

I agree with the intangibles that Jerome brought being missed. But, hopefully, our RBs will all find niches in the offense and we'll pull through without The Bus.

Of all things with the Steelers, I'm more concerned with the wide receivers. I thought Randle-El was a perfect fit for the team, and his departure scares me a bit, both in terms of receiving and kick returning. I'm not sure how much we can depend on Holmes or Morgan or anybody besides Hines really...But, I see this as a great opportunity for Heath Miller to shine as a new target for Ben. Secret weapon, perhaps?

Defense will keep the team in games and will help win some.

I think a lot of pressure will be on Ben this season, from both the fans and the media and the sporting world in general. That said, I don't expect anything more than what he's done the past two years, and that's play within his role as the QB: getting the team out of jams with his pocket/field awareness and driving the ball down the field. It's a running team first and foremost, so as long as that's working, the Steelers should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF View Post
    It's a running team first and foremost, so as long as that's working, the Steelers should be fine.
    That's why I'm worried about our RBs. Clearly, Faneca, Smith, Hartings and Simmons will be able to create holes as big as a moon crater. I'm just not sure Willie Parker and Duce Staley are the answers for getting through those holes all season long.

As for WR, I'm sure Holmes can replace AR-E at WR. But we don't really have anybody for a gadget play anymore. And I've not no enthusiams for Morgan. I expect Heath Miller to rise in importance, but he won't be a secret weapon. When I was in the steel city a couple weeks ago I noticed he was probably the third "most marketed" offensive player behind only Ben and Hines.

No clear favorite for next years superbowl.

Pats and the Bengals are looking pretty good though. But the Pats always look good when they have a healthy roster. I bet you by December, they are missing half of their starting secondary and a LB/DE.

Hard to really predict who is going to do well this year. Alot of teams could potentially break out big time. The Bengals, Dolphins, Cardinals, and even the Ravens don't look bad this year.

Dan Kreider relishes his unsung role as a standout blocker
    Thursday, August 17, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There's not a team in the NFL that runs more than the Steelers; not in each of the past two seasons and none in total since coach Bill Cowher took over in 1992. This occurred, even though they manacle one of their backs.

You will find no rule that the Steelers' fullback cannot run with the ball, nor one that prohibits him from catching it. It's more a team policy, or coaching philosophy: You can't throw to the offensive guard and you won't throw it to the fullback, who also will not run with the ball.

The fullback in the Steelers' old offense, back when they won their first four Super Bowls, was Franco Harris, their most prolific runner and the player with the biggest reception in NFL history, nicknamed Immaculate.

The fullback in the Steelers' new offense, the one they used to win their fifth Super Bowl, is Dan Kreider. He carried three times last season. He caught seven passes, none immaculate.

It seems a paradox for the NFL's most productive ground game to have as its one constant in the backfield a runner who does not run. Since his rookie season in 2000, Kreider has lined up next to four starting halfbacks: Jerome Bettis, Amos Zereoue, Duce Staley and Willie Parker. He stood behind four starting quarterbacks: Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox and Ben Roethlisberger, not counting the occasional start by Charlie Batch.

During that time, Kreider never had more than seven rushing attempts in one season. He caught 18 passes when he was overused in 2002, but his next-busiest season was 2004 when he caught 10. His most exhausting game as a runner happened Sept. 21, 2003 when he carried three times in Cincinnati for 13 yards. Add two receptions in that game for 7 yards, and it is the most he has touched the ball in one game, five times.

Yet not only does Kreider, 29, not complain, he relishes his role. And what is that? He blocks, mostly as the lead man for the halfback. He does it so well that few notice, including those who vote for fullbacks for the Pro Bowl. Like blocking tight ends, it's not the kind of thing that lands you on the cover of Sports Illustrated. But it helped deliver the Steelers a Super Bowl victory and plenty of yards rushing.

The Steelers consider Kreider, who stands 5 feet 11 and weighs 255 pounds, to be the best blocking fullback in the NFL, and that's good enough for him and them.

"I've always played this game to win," Kreider said. "I've always known my role on this team, and that is to be a lead blocker. Anytime you can concentrate on one thing, you can excel at it. I feel like if I can concentrate on blocking and be the lead blocker and we can run the ball successfully, I feel like that's a success for me. I don't worry about all those extras."

It has long been a joke that a Kreider carry is considered a gadget play, and now it's official. Kreider is one option on a slant play the Steelers list in a special section of their playbook.

"It's down on the trick plays as like Slant 14," Kreider said, laughing.

Yet to show how well he performs as a blocker, Kreider is the only undrafted player to win the team's rookie of the year award in the 22 times it has been presented, and he had only two carries that year. He began that season, 2000, on the Steelers' practice squad and got his chance because starter Jon Witman was in the throes of an occupational hazard for fullbacks, back problems.

Kreider has not experienced those difficulties nor the other common fullback troubles with the neck and/or shoulders. It's what often happens when your job requires you to constantly run 3 to 5 yards and slam your body into another large mass.

"Once you do it, you have a better appreciation for what he does," said tight end Heath Miller, who gave Kreider a Bo Derek-10 for his blocking ability. "It's a lot different when the guy you're blocking is 5 yards off the ball and has a run and go."

That craft displayed by Kreider, who grew up in Lancaster County Amish country, has become the horse and buggy of college football. NFL scouts have more trouble finding good blocking fullbacks because they're disappearing from the college game.

"Colleges are going more to the spread offense," said Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations. "It's just the way college football is now. There are more multiple-receiver formations, so really the tight end and the fullback positions are becoming extinct."

That could prompt eventual extinction in the pro game, too, because of a lack of supply. But there might be a team or two such as the Steelers who will insist on picking through the thin talent for that one person they feel can handle the job, which comes with these bottom-line instructions from Kreider:

"It's a challenging position. You just have to go in there hard and hope for the best."

Default Rothlesberger out for the opener Thurs.

Emergency Apendectemy today, nice break for the Phins.
    per NFL Network.

http://www.nfl.com/

-J

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rothlesberger out for the opener Thurs.

So I take it his appendix almost burst or did and needed to be removed? That sucks. My friend had it happen to him earlier this year.

My friend also was unable to do any kind of sports for about 3-4 weeks, I think. So, Big Ben could be out for a month or a little over, if that's what it is.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    So I take it his appendix almost burst or did and needed to be removed? That sucks. My friend had it happen to him earlier this year.

My friend also was unable to do any kind of sports for about 3-4 weeks, I think. So, Big Ben could be out for a month or a little over, if that's what it is.
    Yeah I could see him being out for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post

Since Ben was released within 24 hours I would deem it highly unlikely that his appendix actually burst. Unfortunately I can speak from experience as I had the same operation exactly 2 weeks ago.

Mine was inflamed but not quite to the point of bursting. It's a fairly non-instrusive procedure anymore unless it's really bad. I would imagine he will have to miss the first 2 games at the minimum. I'm going back to work for the first time tomorrow but I don't have to play football.

He has a seven inch incision, which means the doctor had concerns it would/was burst (though it sounds like it didn't). That makes the recovery time much longer (compared to a lathroscopic removal).

Hines Ward says he expects him back by Week 2 because he had a similar procedure, but I wouldn't count on it. There's a big difference between throwing 20-30 passes a night with a healing wound on your torso, than catching them.

Then again, we could all be surprised.

"Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Snart View Post
    He has a seven inch incision, which means the doctor had concerns it would/was burst (though it sounds like it didn't). That makes the recovery time much longer (compared to a lathroscopic removal).

Hines Ward says he expects him back by Week 2 because he had a similar procedure, but I wouldn't count on it. There's a big difference between throwing 20-30 passes a night with a healing wound on your torso, than catching them.

Then again, we could all be surprised.
    If Ben is throwing twenty-plus times per game, we've got bigger problems.

Mood

That sucks for Pitt. Here's to a speedy recovery for the Big man.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Ouch. We've got a long time between our first and second games, then a home game with Cincinatti and the bye. I could see Ben sitting out until the Sunday night game against SD, just to be safe.

Its much more important to have Ben healthy in January and February than September. Given everything he's been through, I see no reason to rush him back onto the field.

Conflicting information, here's this from the PPG:

Steelers sign St. Pierre as appendectomy sidelines Big Ben
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06247/718946-66.stm
    Minimally invasive surgery expected to cause him to miss two games
    Monday, September 04, 2006

By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have signed one of their former quarterbacks, Brian St. Pierre, and added him to the practice squad today in the wake of Ben Roethlisberger's appendectomy surgery.

St. Pierre, a fifth-round draft choice in 2003 who spent two seasons with the Steelers, will join rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs on the practice squad in an attempt to determine who will be signed to the 53-man roster to back up Charlie Batch for Thursday night's season opener against the Miami Dolphins.

St. Pierre is eligible for the practice squad because he has not appeared in enough NFL games to qualify as something more than a first-year player.

Roethlisberger had emergency laparoscopic surgery yesterday morning and is expected to miss the first two games of the regular season.
    To make room for St. Pierre on the practice squad, the Steelers released John Kuhn of Shippensburg.

For Roethlisberger, the tour of city hospitals continues.

"He's cursed," declared teammate Brett Keisel.

The surgery was his second in less than three months, coming after he recovered from a near-fatal motorcycle accident on Second Avenue near the Armstrong Tunnel on June 12 in time to play in the preseason games. Doctors at Mercy Hospital had repaired a broken jaw, nose and orbital bone. He also had knee surgery last November.

"All he did to come back," said guard Alan Faneca, shaking his head. "He's had a busy offseason and preseason."

Thursday's game, intended to be a gala kickoff to the NFL season, already carries a pall because of the late Mayor Bob O'Connor's funeral that morning.

"That's the situation we're being dealt ...," said coach Bill Cowher after players filed quietly off the practice field last evening. "We're not asking for any pity and we're not going to make any excuses."

The Steelers went 2-2 without Roethlisberger last season, when he missed four games with two knee injuries. Batch was 2-0 as his replacement. The two quarterbacks attended the Pitt-Virginia game together Saturday night and Batch said he noticed nothing wrong with Roethlisberger.

But Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl, felt ill yesterday morning after he reported to the Steelers' UPMC facility on the South Side and he was sent to Dr. Anthony Yates, the team internist.

"It's one of those deals you never really know what can happen at any given time," Batch said. "That's why you have to be ready, and this is prime example of it now."

There was a palpable downcast mood around the Steelers when they learned about Roethlisberger's latest run of bad luck. Perhaps it had much to do with how he overcame his June accident, that he played and practiced so well this summer and that the team felt strongly about its chances to defend the Super Bowl championship starting Thursday.

"We'll rally behind Charlie and everybody else will do so as well," Cowher said. "It's a situation that can happen to any football team. On any one day you go out there and have a starter go down, whether it's an ankle, hitting your hand on a helmet, that's the nature of this business.

"Adversity to me is not what knocks you down, it's how you handle it, how you respond to it. This football team has been down this road before, facing challenges and adversity."

In laparoscopic surgery no large incision is made. Instead, several tiny incisions are made to insert a scope and instruments. Such operations can greatly reduce the patient's recovery time.

In most cases the appendectomy can be completed within 20 to 30 minutes.

The patient has no physical restrictions and is expected to walk at least one to two miles per day.

Four years ago, receiver Hines Ward had the same surgery the day before the third preseason game. He missed the final two preseason games but started in the regular-season opener of 2002.

"It took me 5-7 days just to get walking around again and feeling kind of normal," said Ward, who caught eight passes, one for a touchdown, in his first game back.

The Steelers play their second game at Jacksonville Sept. 18, a Monday night. They return to Heinz Field Sept. 24 for an early AFC North showdown against defending division champion Cincinnati. That third game is the most likely target for Roethlisberger's return.

Batch, a Homestead native, has started 48 games in eight NFL seasons, the first four in Detroit.

"I feel good about Charlie," Cowher said. "I feel good about our football team, honestly. Certainly it's a challenge when you lose your starting quarterback. ... The good news about it, it's not anything that's going to be long-term. It's going to be short-term."

Said Faneca, "He's going to be missed. You start there and you say OK, you know we're going to move forward without him. The team must move on."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com or 412-263-3878. )

Also, I'm going to merge this with the "Jay's official Steelers thread".

I'm not sold on Fast Willie, either. We still need a big, bruising power back. I'm still pissed off we traded up for a WR (Holmes) when White would've been available at #30.

So I do agree with you. If we don't repeat, it has nothing to do with our QB situation, IMO but it might be due to an unsettled RB position.

With Roethlisberger out, Steelers must rely on backup Batch
    Wednesday, September 06, 2006
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The loss of Ben Roethlisberger may take the luster off the Steelers' opener tomorrow night against the Miami Dolphins for many. It hasn't for quarterback Charlie Batch.

Batch, 31, will make his first start in a season opener for the team of his youth and the one that has employed him since 2002. It will be only his third start in his five years with the Steelers.

"I have to calm myself down because I'm excited to be able to start at home and do this in front of family and friends," said Batch, a Homestead native who played at Steel Valley High School. "I haven't had many opportunities to play in Heinz Field, and that's why I'm kind of excited."

And he may not be the most keyed up member of the Batch family.

"I think my mother is more excited than I am. I think I have to calm her down more than me."

Batch has started openers before. They all came with the Detroit Lions, for whom he made 46 of his 48 NFL starts when he was considered the future of the franchise. Then, a regime change and injuries changed it all for someone the Lions once gave an $11 million signing bonus to extend his contract. That's $2 million more than the Steelers ever gave one player.

Under the circumstances, Batch considers this start to be more important than his previous 48, what with opening night in Heinz Field as the Steelers start the defense of their NFL championship against a team many pick to dethrone them.

His two victories in his only two previous starts in a Steelers uniform came last season. Without those, there would be no Super Bowl defense this year. He showed obvious rust when he started in Green Bay Nov. 6, having not thrown a pass in a real game that season or the previous one -- he sat out 2004 following knee surgery in training camp.

Things were much better Nov. 13 when he completed 13 of 19 passes for 150 yards and ran for a touchdown in a 34-21 Steelers victory against the Cleveland Browns in Heinz Field. All his work came in the first half because his right pinky finger was broken late in the second quarter.

Injuries, more than anything, have held him back. He missed the final five games of the 2001 season, his last in Detroit, with a shoulder injury. He missed the first three weeks of 2000 training camp after June surgery on his right knee. He missed five games in 1999 because of a broken right thumb.

The microfracture surgery performed on his knee in 2004 worked, and it's giving him no problem today. His finger long ago healed. Yet, he knows he must fight the perception that he's injury prone.

"People have a right to say that because that's what happened," Batch said. "All I can do is go out there and prove it wrong. I think people look at it and I haven't really proven I can stay out there for long periods of time."

There was a brief time in June that it appeared Batch might start this game, but it quickly became evident he would not once Roethlisberger went through the first practice of training camp and showed no effects from his June 12 motorcycle accident. Then Sunday came word that Batch would start the opener against Miami because of Roethlisberger's appendectomy. They might need him Sept. 18 in Jacksonville, too, for another prime-time game.

It's doubtful the Steelers have changed the game plan the coaches put in Saturday night when they still thought Roethlisberger would be their quarterback.

"It didn't much [change] last year, and it won't change what we're doing now," coach Bill Cowher said of Batch's two starts in 2005. "He is very comfortable with everything we're doing. So I think that's the good thing about having a veteran guy. And not just a veteran, but a guy who has played in a lot of big games.

"Charlie Batch has played in playoff games. He's been a starter. He's played in a lot of big games, so this won't be any different to him."

It will, too, be different, at least emotionally.

"The excitement, the energy in the stadium is just unbelievable," Batch said of the opener. "It's something I'm looking forward to because I wasn't able to take part in it last year."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com or 412-263-3878. )
    Batch was looking okay last November before he broke his hand, and by all accounts he had a good preseason. As long as he doesn't throw interceptions I probably won't complain.

(In response to the Bob Kravitz column)

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24207

First of all, Cowher is the best coach in all professional sports, IMHO. So that's a tough comparison for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    This will be his fifth year with Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney. You can't show me a team that matches the Colts for raw talent. And that's even without Edgerrin James on the roster.

You say this is the Colts' time? Listen, it has been the Colts' time the past three years. It was the Colts' time until they spit up on themselves in New England in the AFC title game three years ago. It was the Colts' time two years ago until they no-showed for the repeat in New England. And heaven knows it was the Colts' time last year, when all the stars and planets and even Pluto were perfectly aligned, at least until the boys did their now-annual vanishing act in front of a home crowd.
    I'm not sure that's true at all. For all the criticism Bob gets on the Pacers' board, this is nothing but homeristic.

Last five seasons:

Pit: 13-3; 10-5-1; 6-10; 15-1; 11-5 * = 55-24-1; 1 Superbowl
    NE: 11-5*; 9-7; 14-2 *; 14-2 *; 10-6 = 58-22; 3 Superbowls
    Colts: 6-10; 10-6; 12-4; 12-4; 14-2 = 54-26

There's a Pittsburgh injury depleted 6-10 and 11-5 in there, a NE injury depleted 9-7 and 10-6 in there. And the Colts' 6-10 was admittedly pre-Dungy but the point is, you've lost to a 14-2 team in the AFC Title game, the next year you lost to the same 14-2 team in the second round (who, in turn, beat the 15-1 team in the AFC Title game), and then in the third year you lost to the team that was 15-1 the previous season and just getting healthy in time for the playoffs.

You haven't been the "better" team in any of those losses. Those games were against legit championship contenders. There was no "vanishing act." Where's that picture of Bart's dad when you need one? Your first step toward a real championship would be to come to terms with those losses. Quit calling it a "choke" job. Quit blaming your players. Your opponents were better. Believe me, we've lost more playoff games to NE than you have over the past decade, we didn't like admitting they were actually better than us, either. Especially in 2001 (when we were the #1 seed and Bledsoe came off the bench to beat us - and Kordell threw two interceptions in the last three minutes). Or make that 2004 (when we were 15-1 and had manhandled them earlier in the season.)

Usually when a team takes out my team, I immediately hate them.

See; Patriots
    See; Knicks
    See; IU

But really, I don't have much of anything but respect for the Steelers. Class organization, have had 2 coaches in the LONG history of their franchise (I'm pretty sure that's right), and as far as I know have never ever had what you'd call a horrible season. Which also means they never got that high of draft picks, making it that much harder to stay good for as long as they have.

I just wish Nick Harper would have cut to the sideline.