Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dr. T's Big Thread of College Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I heart college.
    Glad to hear. I'm kind of nervous.

I am also nervous. I like to have a good time, but I am the kind of person who likes to have my time to relax too.

Being that I am in McNutt which has now been confirmed as a crazy place I am worrying that I am going to get rundown. I definetely need to be able to just have my time to chill and not be having a partying going on all the time.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Make sure you enjoy it. Being an undergraduate is about as good as life gets.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    I heart college.

I LOVE college. It's unfortunate I have only 1 year left...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Btown or anyone else that went to IU, if I am going to consume alcoholic beverages , where do you suggest I do it to not get caught by the cops?? Do the cops in bloomington really crack down hard on underage drinking?
    not in your dorm room or the villas. just keep an eye out and don't look like you are nervous. you probably wont ever get an underage but if you do, they are expensive down in bloomington. people usually get caught when they are acting stupid (mostly peeing out in public). I've only been at one party where cops showed up but nothing happened as far as i know because we were all hiding in someone's shower.

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    I am also nervous. I like to have a good time, but I am the kind of person who likes to have my time to relax too.

Being that I am in McNutt which has now been confirmed as a crazy place I am worrying that I am going to get rundown. I definetely need to be able to just have my time to chill and not be having a partying going on all the time.
    just hope you don't have a roommate who is always going at it 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Suit Larry View Post
    not in your dorm room or the villas. just keep an eye out and don't look like you are nervous. you probably wont ever get an underage but if you do, they are expensive down in bloomington. people usually get caught when they are acting stupid (mostly peeing out in public). I've only been at one party where cops showed up but nothing happened as far as i know because we were all hiding in someone's shower.
    Are you saying dont drink in your dorm room or the villas or that the cops won't crack down at those places?

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    Are you saying dont drink in your dorm room or the villas or that the cops won't crack down at those places?
    yeah those are the worst places. everyone gets caught in their dorm

Well, I move into IU on Wednesday. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I hope everything goes well.

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Well, I move into IU on Wednesday. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I hope everything goes well.
    Where are you living. There is nothing to be nervous about but there is plenty to be excited about.

Where are you living. There is nothing to be nervous about but there is plenty to be excited about.
    I'm also curious about where you're living, Adam. (The Quad, not your room number.)

You should have a good time. I won't say it's the "best time of your life", because then you might as well off yourself when it's done, but it should be a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pollardfreek View Post
    Alright, I wasn't going to say anything, but this is getting ridiculous.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...501729_pf.html

And for the addictiveness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_...nnabis#_note-5

They say it doesn't cause lung cancer, because no one has ever gotten lung cancer from just smoking pot. Most people who smoke pot, also smoke cigarettes, and you can't distingush which one would give it to you. Also, there has never been a documented study that had people smoke pot long enough to see if it does. That's why people say it doesn't.

During the discussion period after the presentation, several people suggested that lack of quantity may explain why no association was found, because the number of marijuana cigarettes smoked is much lower than the number of tobacco cigarettes smoked. "It is true that we can't really correlate pack-years," says Ford, "and it should be noted that about 30% of the marijuana smokers never smoke cigarettes."
    http://www.webmd.com/content/article/23/1728_57309

Evidence shows that tar from cannabis cigarettes contains 50% more cancer causing carcinogens than tobacco.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2419713.stm

Current and past smokers of marijuana are at increased risk of developing cancer of the head and neck, including tumors of the mouth, throat and larynx, a new study has found.

The study, the first to link marijuana with such cancers, suggests that the drug's popularity in recent decades could have serious long-term health consequences for some users. The generation of Americans who were teenagers in the 1960s, when recreational use of marijuana became widespread, is reaching the age when many types of cancer start to become more common.

Marijuana smoke is higher in tar and carcinogens than tobacco smoke, and previous research has shown that marijuana smokers, like cigarette smokers, can develop precancerous changes in cells lining the respiratory tract. Researchers said they therefore were not surprised at the news that smoking marijuana predisposes users to head and neck cancers, and they predicted it will likely be found to increase the risk of lung cancer as well.
    http://www.health-alliance.com/Cance...k_factors.html

A review of 19 studies, performed by a team at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, found a link between marijuana use and certain changes in lung tissue that promote cancer, including oxidative stress, dysfunction of tumor-fighting cells, changes in tissue structure and DNA alterations.
    http://www.jointogether.org/news/res...ease-risk.html

Benzopyrene - Lung cancer causing carcinogenmore prevalent in marijuana than in tobacco
    http://www.sarnia.com/groups/antidru...s/mjcancr.html

Would you like me to continue? Just reading a headline saying, "No proof found that smoking pot leads to lung cancer," doesn't directly mean that it doesn't. You've got to look at the factors WHY no one has ever gotten lung cancer from it.

It's not because you can't, it's because it's never been smoked at the same rate as cigarettes.

Which is why I put the highlited part at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    You'd probably get sick prior to getting addicted, but yes, if you smoked it long enough.

Jesus, how about posting more of the article:

Marijuana Unlikely to Cause Head, Neck, or Lung Cancer

However, current findings do not prove that marijuana smoking causes lung cancer.

The connection between marijuana and lung cancer has been hard to prove because it is not easy to gather information about the use of illegal drugs. Also, many marijuana smokers also smoke tobacco cigarettes. This makes it difficult to know how much of the risk is from tobacco and how much is from marijuana.

----------------------------------

The truth is, nobody will ever die of cancer from just smoking Marijuana. At least not until the average life expectancy is around 200 years.

Leisure Suit Larry

WHO GIVES A ****?

Quote Originally Posted by pollardfreek View Post
    Jesus, how about posting more of the article:

----------------------------------

The truth is, nobody will ever die of cancer from just smoking Marijuana. At least not until the average life expectancy is around 200 years.

You tell me to read the rest of the story, but you couldn't even read the rest of my post.

Go back and actually read the reasons WHY there are no documented cases. Notice none of your quoted material says it can't, only that is unlikely.

I laid out the reason why it's unlikely pretty clearly.

Way to keep your head in the sand.

Leisure Suit Larry

Jesus, what does this have to do with college?

Jesus, what does this have to do with college?
    If you don't want to read it, then don't read it. It's called the shout box for a reason.

And BTW. Cops will bust you, even if you aren't doing anything stupid or acting nervously. I got a minor, in the Villas during Little 500, while sitting on a curb talking to people. I didn't even notice the cop, until he was getting out of his car.

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    If you don't want to read it, then don't read it. It's called the shout box for a reason.

And BTW. Cops will bust you, even if you aren't doing anything stupid or acting nervously. I got a minor, in the Villas during Little 500, while sitting on a curb talking to people. I didn't even notice the cop, until he was getting out of his car.
    It has nothing to do with the thread though smartass. Little 5 is different they are out looking for people then.

I've only been at one party got tickets and that was Little 5. Don't worry too much about it if you are careful. There are some apartments that supposedly won't ever get busted though.

If you go back to where we went off topic, you might find that you have some part in it.

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    If you go back to where we went off topic, you might find that you have some part in it.

One comment I didn't keep it going.

Larry and Btown, I am living in Eiegenmann. I've heard they have remodled it recently.

I just say I'm nervous just because it's a life changing experience. But I am definitely excited to be going to IU. As long as I balance my time, I know I'll have a great experience.

Eiegenmann is huge. Ginorous, even. Solid place to live, pretty social but not crazy so you can sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    Eiegenmann is huge. Ginorous, even. Solid place to live, pretty social but not crazy so you can sleep.
    So wait am I not even gonna be able to sleep? God damn the business school being so close to McNUtt.

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Larry and Btown, I am living in Eiegenmann. I've heard they have remodled it recently.

I just say I'm nervous just because it's a life changing experience. But I am definitely excited to be going to IU. As long as I balance my time, I know I'll have a great experience.
    Yeah college isn't as hard as they try to tell you it is. Just do your work and you're fine. And if the welcome week that starts Wednesday seems boring, don't worry it'll get better once everyone starts coming back.