Thread: Garnett: " I got to" (leave) if T-wolves don't improve

Default Garnett: " I got to" (leave) if T-wolves don't improve

If The Wolves Don't Improve, Garnett Wants Out

9th August, 2006 - 7:38 pm

Slam Magazine - In a recent Q&A session with Slam Magazine, Kevin Garnett stated he'd like to see management make more player acquisitions and hinted at the possibility of leaving Minnesota if the team doesn't improve

Wednesday, August 9th, 2006

Q&A: Kevin Garnett

in SLAM Daily, The Links, Pro

by Lang Whitaker

Two weeks ago, I flew all the way out to Los Angeles just to talk about shoes. Of course, I wouldn’t go that far to talk about footwear unless the people I was talking with had something good to say. And these guys did.

Our friends at adidas were working on their campaign for the next season, and they invited SLAM to Santa Monica to check it out. While I was out there, I had the chance to sit down and interview five NBA All-Stars: Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, Chauncey Billups and Gilbert Arenas. That story will be the cover story of the forthcoming issue of KICKS, our annual shoe special, which will hit newsstands in a week or so. (And there will be a ton of content from that evening showing up here on SLAMonline in the next week or so — photos, videos, audio, interviews, etc.)

I’ve been covering the NBA long enough that I had either interviewed or spent time around most of those guys before. But somehow I’d never really spent much time around Kevin Garnett.

If you’ve never met KG, he’s pretty remarkable — loud, boisterous, funny, magnetic. The other guys at our photo shoot were all getting along fine, but when KG arrived and injected his personality into the proceedings the whole thing turned from just another photo shoot into a party. On the court, we often see KG as being only about his business, his face set, his smile hidden. Off the floor, at least on this day, KG was the student body president, the kid who can make friends with anyone.

For the last decade, KG’s career has been about promise and heartbreak. Each year Kevin goes out and posts amazing numbers, averaging at least 22 points and 13 rebounds per game for the last four seasons (and 20 and 11 over his eleven year career). He’s been remarkably durable, missing just 9 games since the 2000 campaign. But he’s also had to deal with intense failure, at least by his standards. As he makes clear below, the only reason he’s playing is because he wants to win a championship; yet in the real world, in eight trips to the playoffs, KG’s Timberwolves have escaped the first round just once, and that 2004 trip to the Western Conference Finals is the closest he’s ever been to the NBA Finals.

At the end of the night, KG and I sat down alone in the photo studio lounge to do an interview. I told him I was going to ask him mostly about his upcoming adidas signature shoes; after all, the story I was there for, and the magazine I was there for, is about shoes.

I’d promised KG it would only take a few minutes, and I only had 7 or 8 questions written in my notebook to ask him. The first question I asked him was an icebreaker, something fun that I’d also asked the other four guys. The other quartet each responded with answers no longer than two or three sentences.

KG’s answer was four paragraphs, totaling over 500 words long. And that was just on a fun question.

We settled in and had a wild, careening conversation, about everything from the Atlanta Braves and Boston Red Sox to KG’s self-professed title of the best housekeeper in the NBA (”I clean better than some maids!”) to his new shoes. KG seemed to be enjoying himself and he just kept talking, so I just kept asking questions.

Eventually, we got around to basketball, and a lot of interesting things were said. Instead of trying to read into his answers and put any words in his mouth, let’s let KG speak for himself…

SLAM: Last thing, a couple of basketball things…you happy with the way things are going this summer for the T-Wolves?

KG: Um…need to make some more acqui…you know, some more transactions, man. I feel like getting Mike James was a start, but that’s not enough. We need some more solid players to contribute. We lost Marcus Banks. I don’t know if they’re going to re-sign J-Reed — he’s a hard worker who I learned to appreciate and gravitate to a little bit. (Note: The T-Wolves re-signed Justin Reed this week. — LW) And I think in order for us to get back in the race in the West, with the Mavericks, the Suns and Timmy [Duncan] now, the Spurs, we’re going to have to have a dominant team, we’re going to have to some guys that run, lay it down, know how to play the game, bring some more veterans in. But, we gotta make some more transactions man. I don’t think the summer’s over.

You got, what, two months?

Yeah, but, you gotta do something, or, you know, something’s gotta change.

What are you most proud of at this point in your career?

How consistent I’ve been able to be. Consistency is the big thing that I work on. I don’t like to fall off, I don’t like to look at things like…um, I pride myself off consistency. It’s very hard night-in night-out to get things done, and I find a way to do ‘em. I hope I don’t jinx myself or whatever, I’m just keeping it real. One thing I’m able to say is I’ve been healthy and I’ve been able to be consistent.

Speaking of consistency, how do you find the drive to keep going out there, man, even when the team’s not winning and…

Because I have expectations of myself. I do know if I don’t do or if I don’t bring a certain level, nine times out of ten our team is not going to move. Even though I have teammates around, the team obviously can do things without me, but it helps to have me there. A lot of things that I do bring to the table, I feel like it’s a plus. I don’t know, man…I’m motivated because of self, man. I feel like I’m the start and finish of a lot of things, and I don’t mind that pressure on me because I am an example and I’m willing to work toward something. But one thing that I can’t stand is if I’m working hard and the organization upstairs isn’t working hard, it’s not fair. It’s not fair to me. That’s not fair to a person who’s actually trying to get a championship. I feel like when it works is when both sides are just as active and as hungry.

Making stuff happen.
    Absolutely.

How old are you now, 30?

Thirty, yeah, just turned 30 this year.

When you were 18, how do you think…Let’s say if you were 18 again looking forward at what you’ve accomplished in your career, have you exceeded your expectations? Have you met your expectations?

I’ve met my expectations. Only thing I haven’t met in this league is achieve a championship. That would sort of sew it all together. The reason I joined the Olympic team was to win a gold medal, so I had to donate the ‘99 summer to the Olympics, for the trials. 2000, same thing. I won that. I wanted to make the All-Star Game my second year. I went out, I did that. I was able to build upon something, I did that. I’ve always said I wanted to be a part of the All-Star Game, so I’ve been able to maintain that, knock on wood. Individually, MVP, both All-Star and regular season. Without Shaq, them looking for me in Atlanta, I wouldn’t have been able to win the All-Star MVP. Without Sam [Cassell] and Spree, Ervin Johnson, Trenton Hassell, Freddy [Hoiberg], I don’t think I would’ve been in a position to win the MVP. Because every year, I think the year before that I had a similar type year, it went to Tim [Duncan]. I already knew winning was everything, but it really solidified that. Without those teammates, man, I couldn’t have done none of that. You know, achieving all those things…I have, I have no regrets, yo. I don’t regret too many things in life, I just wish that the Minnesota Timberwolves would work a little harder, or work as hard as I work in the summertime.

And if could change anything, I wish Stephon [Marbury] wouldn’t have left. That was Steph’s decision, that wasn’t me, but if I had any control over it…

Are you guys cool now?

We’ve always been cool, we were just growing, man, you know what I mean?

Because you’d hear little bits here and there, and…
    Steph left, yo. I don’t speak on it a lot, but Steph made the decision for his career, and I’ve gotta honor that. That’s a man making a decision on that. That’s what it’s been. If there was one thing I wish I could have, I would want to see him push the ball, Steph and I going for it this long, seeing where we end up at. Because I know we’d have won at least a couple of rings, I know that, I know that.

So, two and half months left until the season starts, what’s next?
    Finish working out, finish bringing something to the table, finish being in the lab. Training camp starts in October. Hopefully the Timberwolves will have done what they need to do to make us better.

Would you want to leave, if the T-Wolves don’t get better…
    I got to…

…down the road somewhere?

…I got to. If you’re not working towards a championship, then why are we in this? I’m in it to win, man, I’m not in it to be coming back talking about next year. I’m 30. I’ve probably got 4 to 5 years, you know what I’m saying?

My clock is ticking, man. I’m almost like a woman who’s trying to get pregnant. My years are limited, so my clock is definitely ticking.

Appreciate it.
    That’s what’s up.
    Slam Online

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: Garnett: " I got to" (leave) if T-wolves don't improve

Not sure there's any one in this league I have more respect for than this guy.

Respectful, humble, charitible, forgiving, noble, dedicated. Just seems like an admirable person. It's very nice to see in a League full of Eddie Griffins and Kenny Andersons. How many years ago do you think the average "NBA Superstar" would have forced a trade? Kevin McHale is an idiot.

Interesting stuff about Marbury. Those guys were really good together. How big of a 180 will it be for Zeke when he trades for KG this year? I'm going out on a limb now saying Garnett will be a Knick by the end of the year.

Curry, Frye, Nate, Francis and a pick for KG/filler. Just wait.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Thanks, Frank, I was just getting ready to post the same article. Man, I feel bad watching KG's team chug along, not really doing much. Looking at their roster, I don't know what they can do.

Minnesota Timberwolves
    Point Guard

Shooting Guard

Small Forward

Power Forward

Center

How many tradeable guyus do they have? Glaring, glaring hole at C, far as I'm concerned and SG needs help, too. Man, he's stuck in a hard place. I've said it before and I'll say it again. He needs to quit being so damn loyal and push for a trade. I just see ow they can do anything to truly improve that team.

I'd hope that he would go behind closed doors, not in the media, and say "Here's a list of teams I'd like to go to. Make it happen." THAT would put a fire under management.

What a waste of talent. Minn just won't let him, go though. Too much marquee value. I don't know the numbers, but imagine if GS put together some kind of trade package. Or Boston. I think they both have the personell to make a viable trade that would surround KG with talent and still give Minn something. (I would add Portland to that mix, but no way they trade to a conference rival. Couldn't you see a KG for Zach/??/?? working?)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

streets ahead

well jaric plays both positions and is more of a SG so you could move him to that column...

but if the TWolves are in the Al Harrington chase (the hawks do need a pg and TWolves have a surplus) that could be a good move for them...

PG - James
    SG - Jaric / Davis
    SF - Harrington
    PF - Garnett
    C - Blount

not championship material but could be a step in the right direction.

I never can feel too sorry for people in KG's position because for all of the great characteristics they have, they chose to make mega bucks, and they know in this league that handicaps what your team can do to make the rest of the roster good enough to compete for a title.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, Frank, I was just getting ready to post the same article. Man, I feel bad watching KG's team chug along, not really doing much. Looking at their roster, I don't know what they can do.

Minnesota Timberwolves
    Point Guard

Shooting Guard

Small Forward

Power Forward

Center

How many tradeable guyus do they have? Glaring, glaring hole at C, far as I'm concerned and SG needs help, too. Man, he's stuck in a hard place. I've said it before and I'll say it again. He needs to quit being so damn loyal and push for a trade. I just see ow they can do anything to truly improve that team.

I'd hope that he would go behind closed doors, not in the media, and say "Here's a list of teams I'd like to go to. Make it happen." THAT would put a fire under management.

What a waste of talent. Minn just won't let him, go though. Too much marquee value. I don't know the numbers, but imagine if GS put together some kind of trade package. Or Boston. I think they both have the personell to make a viable trade that would surround KG with talent and still give Minn something. (I would add Portland to that mix, but no way they trade to a conference rival. Couldn't you see a KG for Zach/??/?? working?)
    Damn, that roster is garbage. They're loaded at the point, but very weak everywhere else. They may have the worst bench in the NBA. I mean, Griffin, Madsen, and Bracey in the second unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I never can feel too sorry for people in KG's position because for all of the great characteristics they have, they chose to make mega bucks, and they know in this league that handicaps what your team can do to make the rest of the roster good enough to compete for a title.
    True, but championship teams have been built around max players before. It is a bit harder these days, though, with all the mediocre players getting big bucks. Nowadays, you kinda have to get lucky and get a superstar on a cheap/rookie contract to go with said max player.

He should just stay there.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    True, but championship teams have been built around max players before. It is a bit harder these days, though, with all the mediocre players getting big bucks. Nowadays, you kinda have to get lucky and get a superstar on a cheap/rookie contract to go with said max player.
    I'd go as far as to say you need to draft said uber-player to win a championship.

No team in the free-agent era aside from Detroit in 2004 has won a title without having drafted at least its co-#1 player (in the case of Magic and Kobe).

2006- Wade
    2005- Timmy
    2004- Pistons (the one exception)
    2003- Timmy/Admiral
    2002- Kobe
    2001- Kobe
    2000- Kobe
    1999- Timmy/Admiral
    1998- MJ/Pippen
    1997- MJ/Pippen
    1996- MJ/Pippen
    1995- Hakeem
    1994- Hakeem
    1993- Hakeem
    1992- MJ/Pippen
    1991- MJ/Pippen
    1990- MJ/Pippen
    1989- Zeke
    1988- Zeke
    1987- Magic/Worthy
    1986- Bird
    1985- Magic/Worthy
    1984- Bird
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I'd go as far as to say you need to draft said uber-player to win a championship.

No team in the free-agent era aside from Detroit in 2004 has won a title without having drafted at least its co-#1 player (in the case of Magic and Kobe).

2006- Wade
    2005- Timmy
    2004- Pistons (the one exception)
    2003- Timmy/Admiral
    2002- Kobe
    2001- Kobe
    2000- Kobe
    1999- Timmy/Admiral
    1998- MJ/Pippen
    1997- MJ/Pippen
    1996- MJ/Pippen
    1995- Hakeem
    1994- Hakeem
    1993- Hakeem
    1992- MJ/Pippen
    1991- MJ/Pippen
    1990- MJ/Pippen
    1989- Zeke
    1988- Zeke
    1987- Magic/Worthy
    1986- Bird
    1985- Magic/Worthy
    1984- Bird
    How about them apples? My rebuild idea doesn't sound so bad now does it?

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    There are only nine different championship teams in 23 years. Only one of them comes from a small market. And there have been a lot of great players in this time frame that did not win a championship.

So, no. Tanking and hoping to strike gold in the draft still sounds like a bad idea to me. The team would be as likely to end up in Oklahoma City as to win the title.

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb View Post
    There are only nine different championship teams in 23 years. Only one of them comes from a small market. And there have been a lot of great players in this time frame that did not win a championship.

So, no. Tanking and hoping to strike gold in the draft still sounds like a bad idea to me. The team would be as likely to end up in Oklahoma City as to win the title.
    There's an immense difference between tanking and just rebuilding smartly. All teams at the top of the NBA right now were mediocre teams before they missed the playoffs for one season or more to reload.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Randy Foye will keep KG in a Wolves Jersey for a long time.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

There's an immense difference between tanking and just rebuilding smartly. All teams at the top of the NBA right now were mediocre teams before they missed the playoffs for one season or more to reload.
    Maybe the guy is already on the team.

:granger:

I''ll see your

and raise you a

Why Not Us ?

Oh, I would bet on it. But if we get Al his touches and minutes will be severely reduced. I would prefer we get more pieces to fit around Danny. Make it clear who we are building around. Ask yourself this: would we be getting Al Harrington for a pick while using the TE to absorb his contract if his name was John Smith and he had no connection to Indy at all? I'd prefer to get some backcourt help, that's all. Also, we need a backup center and a backup small forward.

We can use the draft and the TE for this but of course, we probably won't and we will get Al and try to force him, JO, and Danny to play together.

If it works and we don't give up a great pick for Al then I'll be the first to say that I'm wrong...and I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but I just think we can build this team back up in a better way. Around the right guys...not totally ignoring them.

Oh, I would bet on it. But if we get Al his touches and minutes will be severely reduced. I would prefer we get more pieces to fit around Danny. Make it clear who we are building around. Ask yourself this: would we be getting Al Harrington for a pick while using the TE to absorb his contract if his name was John Smith and he had no connection to Indy at all? I'd prefer to get some backcourt help, that's all. Also, we need a backup center and a backup small forward.

We can use the draft and the TE for this but of course, we probably won't and we will get Al and try to force him, JO, and Danny to play together.

If it works and we don't give up a great pick for Al then I'll be the first to say that I'm wrong...and I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but I just think we can build this team back up in a better way. Around the right guys...not totally ignoring them.

I think Danny and Al at the forward spots would be a great combo

I agree that there are other needs that we need to address, but when we can solidfy our frontcourt for such a low price, why not do it?

I'd like to have Al if only because he's a friend of JO and we could pass him on later if necessary...Ricky Davis is good player that never made the jump to become a great player...yet...and it's because he gets high too much...the Wolves are in need of a decent SF (Iguodala!) but more importantly another big body (they might as well re-sign the Kandi-man for cheap)

and don't nobody say nothing about trading O'Neal for Garnett

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Technically the Hornets drafted Kobe, not the Lakers.

And the Spurs got extremely lucky. They got Robinson, but because of his naval committment they had to play without him. They sucked and got Sean Elliot in the draft to go with David the year he joined the team. And for one season in the midst of many great runs he got hurt for the entire season and they won the lottery to get Duncan.

That ain't a plan, that's a fluke. Lose the lottery and it's Keith Van Horn leading them to a title...err...

Kobe and Shaq were stuck just like the Pacers till Phil saved the day. And getting Shaq required clearing out tons of contracts to chase him as a FA, and then to add Kobe it required trading Vlade for a guy who was NOT drafted in the top 10. Kittles, Samaki Walker and Todd Fuller are players that went before Kobe. LA drafted Fisher with the 24th pick, and had the Hornets not handed them Kobe on a platter its possible/likely that the Lakers wouldn't have won a title even with Shaq.

There's an immense difference between tanking and just rebuilding smartly.
    True, but rebuilding smartly doesn't require losing a lot of games. The Pacers already did it several times in the last 2 decades without going below 39 wins.

All teams at the top of the NBA right now were mediocre teams before they missed the playoffs for one season or more to reload.
    Miami did draft Wade and he was the big star this year, but let's not pretend that the Shaq trade wasn't a monster factor, and one driven by a situation that realistically shouldn't have been available were it not for some petty bickering between Shaq and Kobe.

Wade was on the Heat team that lost to the Pacers in 04. That version of the Heat was not title capable despite Wade already playing at a very high level at the time.

And all of the bottom teams in the NBA missed the playoffs for a year or more and blew it trying to reload. Or has Atlanta NOT had top draft picks and signed a major FA in the last couple of seasons? How's that Bucks rebuild coming.

Are we counting the Clippers as a top team, because by my accounts it was the TRADE for Brand and the signing of Cassell that put that team over the top, not a slew of picks and a monster FA signing.

PHX - FA signing of Nash. Forget drafting Amare, he didn't even play this season. And when it was just their star picks, Amare and Marion, the Suns sucked.

DAL - Neither Dirk nor Terry were drafted by the Mavericks. Dirk, like Kobe, was a draft night trade and also not an elite pick (he went 9 behind LaFrentz, Kandi, Robert Traylor and Jason Williams among others). In fact the Mavs drafted TRAYLOR, and got Millwaukee to give them Dirk AND Pat Garrity for Tractor.

So how does Dallas' rebuild look without that deal, and how does Millwaukee look if they simply had kept their picks instead? Pokes a big hole in the "just suck and get a good draft pick theory" because the success and failure was based soley on a lucky deal. Dallas PASSED ON Dirk when they took Traylor instead. Think about that while praising their genius.

The Mavs got Terry by trading the Hawks Walker and Delk (Henderson came with Terry). Again, if Atlanta doesn't screw up a trade Dallas gets shut out after failing to resign Steve Nash.

And Dallas wasn't mediocre and then dipped for a year. They were a sub-30 win team for MANY years, including after they got Dirk.

Dallas winning PCT up to around the time they got Dirk (1998):
    99-00 .488 (40 wins)
    98-99 .380 (19 wins)
    97-98 .244 (20 wins)
    96-97 .293 (24 wins)
    95-96 .317 (26 wins)
    94-95 .439 (36 wins)
    93-94 .159 (13 wins)
    92-93 .134 (11 wins)
    91-92 .268 (22 wins)

Okay, so this is a team that sucked year after year after year, and could very likely have kept (been stuck with) Robert Traylor and Antoine Walker while losing Nash to PHX and they probably wouldn't have broken out of that losing mold.

THAT'S the reality of the draft lottery and how well losing helps teams. You get better by good deals a lot quicker than by drafting in the top 5 year after year.

Good mid-round picks and smart trades made the Pacers what they have been for the last 16-17 seasons.

Great post, Seth.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Great post, Seth.
    Thank you, sir. I know it's crazy a** long so I appreciate that someone took the time to read it. Once I started looking at examples I just kept thinking of or finding more and it ended up getting pretty long.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hasn't he made this threat before?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Thank you, sir. I know it's crazy a** long so I appreciate that someone took the time to read it. Once I started looking at examples I just kept thinking of or finding more and it ended up getting pretty long.

I thought that Dallas' teams of late would be a great example to build an argument around, but I decided not to respond. Good thing, too - you explained it much better than I would have. And you even included some other team's situations. Again, great post!

One more reason why Dallas got better
    (Nash) Traded by the Suns to the Dallas Mavericks for Martin Muursepp, Bubba Wells the draft rights to Pat Garrity and a first round draft choice in 1999 (June 25, 1998)
    So they got Garrity for free and sent him right back out the door. They traded Traylor, Muursepp, Wells, and their 99 first round pick for DIRK and NASH.

Give me a F'n break. They literally stole a team from MIL and PHX.

Of course that 99 pick became Marion. And a in a bit of irony the player taken right after Marion was Terry by Atlanta. And of course the Suns would then get Nash back as a FA and pair him with Marion to finally win some games.

Some real Dallas perspective, just reflect on the Mashburn, Kidd, Jim Jackson era and how well that went. That was what they got by drafting. Oh, and Cherokee Parks.

Seth, while I can see your logic, there are some things we need to recognize.

First of all, Cuban is willing to spend much more than the Simons.

Second, they have been very lucky through the draft. Devin Harris, Josh Howard, and Dirk Nowitzki were all three key guys for them that they drafted (and yes, I'm aware they trade for both Dirk and Devin, but that doesn't change the fact that they traded for the draft).

It's not like I'm saying complete rebuilding through the draft like Dallas's DDD days, we're almost there. We have a good core but we have to build on that core and not keep making the same mistake over and over again.

I don't even want to lose on purpose, I'm just saying find talent that fits better than Al and at the same time give time to the guys that need time. Otherwise they are never going to be ready come April.

Again, if getting Al becomes cheap, like Soup said, I have nothing against this. Basically, as long as no 1st rounder is involved I'll think we got him on the cheap and it'll be a no-brainer. In fact, if somehow, we avoid giving up that 2007 pick and instead give them a protected 2008 then I'll be happy too. All of this stems from my thinking that we can't get Al without overpaying somehow and IMO 2007 pick + TE + taking on two roster slots is overpaying.

I'd love for the Pacers to prove me wrong. I'd rather be wrong here than anything.