Thread: How can you get a job at a factory...???

Default How can you get a job at a factory...???

Ok,this might sound strange to some of you.But every factory ive tried to apply to,rather it be in person or through an employment office (workforce,manpower..etc..). This is exactly how it goes;

Me-I can work whenever you need me to,I am a dependable worker,I have missed 3 days of work out of 1 year.
    Them-"Oh wow,great.We really need good workers,just a few things how much factory experience do you have?"

Me-"Well,I have none,but if you give me a chance you wont regret it"
    Them-"Sorry,you need to have at least 3 years minium experience"

So,what the hell??...how can i get the experience if noone hires without 3 years min experience??.

Just mad...had to vent.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Leisure Suit Larry

Default Re: How can you get a job at a factory...???

I would lie. I mean factory workers are some of the dumbest, over-paid people in the world. You could definitely get by with it. Just make up some factory that went out of business.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Suit Larry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would lie. I mean factory workers are some of the dumbest, over-paid people in the world. You could definitely get by with it. Just make up some factory that went out of business.
    This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever had the pleasure of reading on Pacers Digest. And that's saying something. Please tell me you meant to add a smiley to this somewhere. Please.

recap

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Suit Larry View Post
    If they were dumb they wouldn't be "overpaid". I consider myself pretty intelligent, and I haven't been able to get anyone to pay me more than I'm worth. Of course, I don't think that most factory workers are dumb or overpaid, but your statement is idiotic.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Try going through a temp agency. They tend to throw factory jobs at you whether you like them or not. And most will even offer the opportunity to stay on full-time.

I had a factory job once and HATED it. I wanted to quit after the second day, but stuck on for a full month because I needed the money so badly. But it was third shift (9pm - 7am) and was some of the most boring, braindead stuff I've ever been subjected to. Sure, it's easy work, but working that many hours at that time of night, I need to keep my brain from getting overly bored.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

its like that with all jobs these days...most companies want someone that is under 25, have a BS/BA and atleast 3 years of experience in the same field...
    you gotta be a pretty committed to the field to be able to pull it off...

Leisure Suit Larry

To have 3+ years experience with a BS/BA and still under 25 you would need to graduate from school in less than 4 years or work in that field while you are in school. I hate that.

See I mean...thats the thing that kills me...I know people that work at these factories,that arent a 1/4th of the worker I am,and arent very intelligent at all.But,they got lucky because they got hired on when these factories werent so hellbent on the 3 years thing.

My father has worked at a local factory here in my town for about 20+ years,he get very good wages,great insurance...he works 4 days a week,with 4 days off...12 hours a day,but you get like four 15 minute breaks,and 1 or 2 30min breaks.

At my job you have to work at least 6 hours to get (1) 30min break,ive worked 12-13 hours before and only got 1 break,thats how they are where I work.

I know my job isnt as hard as my dads,but for what he gets paid to do what he does...shoot...id bust my *** too.

But I wrote a kiss-*** letter to his bosses there,my dad gave them the letter and they gave me a number to call to get my name in the company which they do their hiring through...thats been about 4 weeks ago,I havent heard anything.
    LoneGranger33 said

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    been about 4 weeks ago,I havent heard anything.
    Did you call them back to ask them about your status I guess you could say? I know that is one thing I have always been told, always call the business that you are trying to work for, even after you put in your ap. They want to see how bad you wanna work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    Did you call them back to ask them about your status I guess you could say? I know that is one thing I have always been told, always call the business that you are trying to work for, even after you put in your ap. They want to see how bad you wanna work for them.
    Oh yea I have...I went into that place every other day for about a month before I wrote that letter,and after I wrote that letter,they were never rude or anything,just basically said everytime ; "ok,well we have your name down here,thanks for coming in".

I know if they would give me an interview they would like me,sure maybe I sound a little bit cocky,but hey...I really wanna work for them,and I would show it.
    LoneGranger33 said

I'm not sure where you live, but you are entitled to a 15 min. break for every 4 hours you work and required a 30 min. break for every 6 hours you work. I believe it's a federal law, but it may just be in Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by microwave_oven View Post
    I'm not sure where you live, but you are entitled to a 15 min. break for every 4 hours you work and required a 30 min. break for every 6 hours you work. I believe it's a federal law, but it may just be in Indiana

So ive heard,and yes I do live/work in Indiana.I mean hell,there have been nights where ive worked 10 hours..and say my shift was 1pm-11pm,and it was 10:25pm,And I still hadnt gotten a break,so I went and told one of my bosses "Hey,im taking my break" (usually you never "tell" a boss when you are taking a break,they are supposed to relieve you) And all my boss could say was "Mmmm,well.....ok....if you want to". So I got back around 10:55pm,and clocked out at 11pm.

But now I do have to admit they are getting better at giving breaks,I think they must of gotten into trouble or something,because now they have it all wrote down in order who gets their breaks..etc.

But my first 5 months or so....man....I saw sooo many people who didnt get breaks.Hell I just worked 5 and a half hours last night,I didnt get 1 break...On my feet all night.I didnt get to have a 3 min sit untill my last half hour.
    LoneGranger33 said

The reason it's so hard to get a factory job is the sad truth we are losing most of our factories.

Most corporations are shutting off more jobs than they are trying to fill.

Having said that, Honda is building a new plant in Indiana and I'm sure will have a lot of jobs to fill.