Thread: Pacers have had their share of fly-by-night players

Post Pacers have had their share of fly-by-night players

Some players, like Reggie Miller, make a career playing for one franchise, imbedding themselves in the community and becoming a fixture in the collective fan psyche.

More...

Default Re: Pacers have had their share of fly-by-night players

Is this the setup article for something the Pacers are about to do? Are we about to get another Joe Klein or someone even more expensive that we'll pay for even if they retire or are cut?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

:edwards:
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i don't think you need to look very far. at last count our roster stands at 16. and we're expecting harrington and edwards to join us any day. add to that, the fact that we have a lot of unguaranteed or otherwise cheap players. so very likely that list of ephemeral pacers is going to grow longer this year, in any case.

Maybe that 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 future trade some are expecting is simply going to be an axe falling as we 'eat' several contracts to make the mandatory 15 player roster.

In any case, I think this piece is setting us up for the eventual possibility (inevitability?) that we're getting (or already have) some player (or players) that will be paid but never play a 2006 reg season game for us.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Cool Re: Pacers have had their share of fly-by-night players

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe that 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 future trade some are expecting is simply going to be an axe falling as we 'eat' several contracts to make the mandatory 15 player roster.

In any case, I think this piece is setting us up for the eventual possibility (inevitability?) that we're getting (or already have) some player (or players) that will be paid but never play a 2006 reg season game for us.

-Bball

I hope you don't take your thoughts as seriously as they come across with posts like these.

Relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

I hope you don't take your thoughts as seriously as they come across with posts like these.

Relax.
    When I read the I absolutely believe he's nearly the same PR mouthpiece as Conrad. This article seems WAY too pulled out of the air to not have some relevance to something we're about to see. Why in the world would he write about this topic?

Do I think Walsh called him and told him what to write? Not necessarily. Do I think the bunny might've called Walsh and asked what the Pacers are going to do with all these extra players or if they might be getting Edwards back? Yes, I could see that and I could see Walsh replying "It might be like we had to do with Klein". And so the bunny ran with it. ...There's nothing particularly wrong with that but it plays like a setup piece (the way it's written). A preemptive strike, if you will. He came at it from the warmest, fuzziest angle possible.

The bunny is no bear. He doesn't just report... he wraps things in nice neat little PR packages for us. Maybe of his own doing, maybe not...

The truth is out there.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Is this the setup article for something the Pacers are about to do? Are we about to get another Joe Klein or someone even more expensive that we'll pay for even if they retire or are cut?

-Bball
    It wouldn't be the first time Mark was so timely. Of course he makes the point right away that the Pacers already have a player like that from the Peja deal, but you have to wonder if he was coming from a viewpoint of knowing what will happen with one of the other possible short-term players just acquired.

Or its summer and slow news while waiting for the end of this week to get here.

SoupIsGood - there you go, that's exactly in line with the Al deal expected to finally wrap up in a few days. Edwards, we hardly knew ye...actually we did, that's why you gotta get the outta here.

I see an article in the middle of the off-season, and at a time where the Peja trade, the AJ trade, and now possibly the Al trade all result in players such as these (except maybe the Dallas boys).

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I see an article in the middle of the off-season, and at a time where the Peja trade, the AJ trade, and now possibly the Al trade all result in players such as these (except maybe the Dallas boys).
    The player in the Peja trade doesn't cost us anything so that is almost meaningless. The other things you mention pretty much are right on point. And I think the bunny was telegraphing a message to us (fans) not to be surprised, angry, shocked, etc when the Pacers end up cutting some acquired players and even eating some contracts this season.

Personally, I agree with Soup and think the one he's setting us up for is Edwards and his 2 mil contract. A player that once received Donnie Walsh's unwavering vote of confidence when he said something like "Edwards might make it in the NBA someday....". This was at a time when he already was a Pacer.

Could the Al Harrington deal really be about done?

Then again... Edwards certainly gives us that 7'er to sit on the end of the bench that DW must covet.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The player in the Peja trade doesn't cost us anything so that is almost meaningless. The other things you mention pretty much are right on point. And I think the bunny was telegraphing a message to us (fans) not to be surprised, angry, shocked, etc when the Pacers end up cutting some acquired players and even eating some contracts this season.

Personally, I agree with Soup and think the one he's setting us up for is Edwards and his 2 mil contract. A player that once received Donnie Walsh's unwavering vote of confidence when he said something like "Edwards might make it in the NBA someday....". This was at a time when he already was a Pacer.

Could the Al Harrington deal really be about done?

Then again... Edwards certainly gives us that 7'er to sit on the end of the bench that DW must covet.

-Bball
    I won't be angry. It's not my wasted money. Some fans act as if they are spending the money. "We have to get under the luxury tax threshold," they say. Hey, if the Simons are willing to pay the tax, who am I to question them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    I won't be angry. It's not my wasted money. Some fans act as if they are spending the money. "We have to get under the luxury tax threshold," they say. Hey, if the Simons are willing to pay the tax, who am I to question them.
    I agree with your premise, but only to a point.

We do pay the players salary, even if not directy. When we buy ticets (esp season tickets) and to a lesser degree merchandice we are paying for the players salary.

With that said, I have never one to get into the money side of thing, although that is mostly because my math is the equivalent to that of a 4th grader, and I apologize to all the 4th graders I just insulted.

With that said, I will never fault a fan for complaining, esp. not when the team is doing well and esp. if that fan is still paying for the tickets (even if they are not going to the games)

When I first saw the article, I thought it was timed to the anticipated cut of Rawle, since his contract became guaranteed that day.