Thread: RSS feeds

Default RSS feeds

I'm giving it a try to see what it's like to have.

For now as you can see it's on its own board that doesn't allow posting.

I have it feeding from Indystar.com/Sports, ESPN.com/NBA, Yahoo.com/NBA, and Pacers.com.

It can also be set to post on any board, so if it's clear that the feeds will only post what we care about, I can switch it to post the stories on the Pacers board, where we could reply to them.

Default Re: RSS feeds

I'd like to hear some feedback on this. I can have any RSS feed we want, and it can be posted by RoboHicks on any of the boards, in which case they could be replied to in the same thread to discuss the article.

Perhaps a feed to post the latest Entertainment news on the S&E board? Or a CNN.com feed for the News board?

I think having feeds you can respond to would be great as long as it didn't post a gazillion of them a day. I remember seeing that in some other forum, and it was a bit much.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd like to hear some feedback on this. I can have any RSS feed we want, and it can be posted by RoboHicks on any of the boards, in which case they could be replied to in the same thread to discuss the article.

Perhaps a feed to post the latest Entertainment news on the S&E board? Or a CNN.com feed for the News board?
    That sounds good, but like Soup said, I don't think there should be too much.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

As far as I am concerned, brilliant!

though I would post them to the main board, once settled in (i.e. there is no "fill all" drop on the first startup
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Hicks, I'm wondering if you are going to keep the RSS feeds as we get closer to the season. Won't there be a lot of them each day starting in two weeks when training camp opens.

I'll leave them until I think they're not worth having.

I love 'm. wish vB had the same possibilities as IPB, which means A: low tech site (friendly for bb's and pda's) and B: delivering RSS, meaning every new thread would be on RSS to those who want it
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default RoboHicks is out of control......

No, but seriously, I know when it posts multiple threads on the same topics they usually get locked, but damn, this morning there are 5 at the top of the Pacers board that are pretty much the same topic.

There are usually a few posters that always post articles, especially articles from Indystar, and Pacers.com, so what RoboHicks does in theory might be cool, but actually it's very redundant, and doesn't seem to provide anything other than more threads for you mods to clean up.

Just a suggestion, not trying to knock the idea of you having, or creating it, but it just seems to clutter up the top of the Pacers board more than anything.

Maybe create a separate forum for RoboHicks, so anyone that wants to look at the latest headlines can do just that, and it won't pollute the main board topics with stuff that every time seems to ultimately be deleted, and pushed down the board.

Leisure Suit Larry

Why not a sub forum for them. Today robohicks broke the news about the josh howard extension...

One way or another, it's highly improbable RoboHicks will stick around in his current form.

Now that the season has started, I wonder if RoboHicks might be a little too busy for the mainpage on the forum.

I still prefer the idea of RoboHicks living in his own forum. Mods, posters, whatever can repost in the main forum if something floats their boat I guess.

And with the season in full swing there should be so much activity by RH that people would learn to give the forum a look.

Of course some will always be too laz....errrrr patient and wait for others to wade thru the stories and repost the most pertinent stuff on the main forum.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Free RoboHicks!
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...