Thread: Snide PD enhancement request

Default Snide PD enhancement request

I know I can select to ignore certain users, but can I also setup a feature to ignore the words "Jackson", "Jack", "Club Rio", "pot", "Dino", "felony", "Bentley", etc? Please? I watched the game last night and for more than a few moments, I was able to forget about the above words and start to get really excited about the players and play on the court. In my 20+ years of Pacers fandom, this team has never had the volume of attributes that I witnessed last night. Seeing player after player with long arms, quickness and athleticism running up and down the court was a sight to behold. However, my post-game enthusiasm was short lived when I checked into PD for other posting thoughts. It is impossible to visually ignore the negative items floating around the site. So the question I ask - how can I start to believe in this team and the players on the court when I am constantly barraged with a multitude of reasons why I should be bitter, disheartened and embarrassed?

For now, I will continue to selectively cherry pick the threads I read and continue to the rest.

Default Re: Snide PD enhancement request

AMEN!

Hicks, or someone please make an "Everything Jackson" thread to put everything about Jackson in. I prefer the Digest be about the Pacers and not one player.

I fail to see how sticking our heads in the sand will make this Jackson mess go away.

One thread cannot contain it all IMHO due to the new articles and info coming out and people trying to follow it. It's BIG news. This isn't whether Jonathon Bender grew an inch and healed over the summer. It has ramnifications that are far reaching on various fronts. Of course people are going to want to talk about it.

If it warrants anything (again IMHO) it is its own sub forum, not a single thread.

Personally, I vote to leave things be as long as the mods can keep up with merging similar topics (especially with Robo Hicks sometimes being late to the party on his posts).

Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

All,

We have been trying to keep the posts regarding Jackson merged together. The first couple of days we kept most of the posts to two threads & it really upsest some people.

As we've gone on for a few days we've let more posts go & have tried to just stay out of the way. I've been trying to catch all of the duplicate robohicks threads but some of them slip past us.

I know it's hard but I think over the next few weeks it will start to die down, but in the here & now people are going to want to talk about it.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I fail to see how sticking our heads in the sand will make this Jackson mess go away.
    Well, obviously we can't really ignore the specific incident and the long term real and subjective impact it will have on the franchise. My tongue in cheek comment is just a commentary on the irony of trying to reengage the hearts and minds of Pacer's fans when there is a ***** storm of negative press out there.

To paraphrase Jules from Pulp Fiction "I'm tryin' real hard to be a 'Pacer's fan'" and the score of Jackson threads isn't helping. But reality has a way of interrupting the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

One thread cannot contain it all IMHO due to the new articles and info coming out and people trying to follow it. It's BIG news. This isn't whether Jonathon Bender grew an inch and healed over the summer. It has ramifications that are far reaching on various fronts. Of course people are going to want to talk about it.

If it warrants anything (again IMHO) it is its own sub forum, not a single thread.

Personally, I vote to leave things be as long as the mods can keep up with merging similar topics (especially with Robo Hicks sometimes being late to the party on his posts).

Bball
    A sub forum would probably be better, because this isn't going away anytime soon.

As for sticking our heads in the sand, you don't understand the complaint. Those of us complaining know what's going on, so we haven't stuck our head in the sand. We just don't want to read posters opinions repeated thirty times on the same subject in twenty different threads. So many posts on the same subject detract from the overall Pacers Digest experience.

For example; most of us like to read Peck's posts. And most of us know of his love for Dale Davis. However, if he would give his opinion of Dale multiple times in twenty different threads, how many of us would enjoy that?

(Well he probably has, but I mean in two days time.) (grin)

Now multiply that by 100 posters repeating their (1) opinion over and over and it gets old fast. And how many of those repeating themselves even know what they are talking about? For instant, how many posts have their been from posters advocating the Pacers do something the CBA won't let them do?

None of that would bother me if it was easily avoidable. Thus my desire for Pacers Digest to be predominately ABOUT the Pacers, and not one player.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we were all cheering for a team that didn't have discipline problems, *that* would clean up the forum.

The "Official Saras thread" and the Trade proposal sub-forum helped clean up some of the silly stuff we dealt with last season.

Maybe we could have an "Official SJax thread". Problem is, when we consolidated it all to one thread and then the thread grows by several hundred posts in a few hours, somebody new comes in, reads the first page, and starts firing off replies that were already posted in Pages 8-10.
    That happens. No internet forum is perfect in that way. And some posters aren't inclinded (for a multitude of reasons) to read everything before they react.

A subforum might work, but unlike separating hypothetical/ made up trade proposals from everything else we talk about, the SJax topic is going to come up in other threads, too. Does anyone thinks that all the SJax topics could be restricted to a subforum without leaking out and contaminating the rest of the board? I certainly don't.

I think that perhaps RoboHicks has inadvertently cluttered up the main page and we've cleaned it back up.

But just because 75% of the threads on page 1 are about the "incident" and only 25% of the threads are about basketball/ the Pacers is not an negative statement about Pacers Digest. Its a negative statement about the Pacers.

I'm pleasantly surprised we've had far less trolling and flaming than I feared we'd have. We've had more "infractions" with Pacers fans just "losing their cool" toward SJax, and we were already trying to cut down on "X player sucks!" type of post before the incident so that's just an extension of that policy. We've had very few instances of posters attacking fellow posters, in spite of significant differences everyone has kept their "cool."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why should we start now with Jax? We have gone through this before not only with Artest, but a certain center that plays for the Kings has had enough talk to warrent his own sub forum at times. That is just life as a Pacer fan, again.