Thread: ABA movie

kdog

Default ABA movie

I heard Will Ferrell this past Monday on Dan Patrick's show say that he had just signed on to shoot a movie about the ABA this next February. He didn't say what his role would be, but the premise of the film is that he is with a team in Flint MI who fighting for the fourth and final NBA slot as the ABA is folding. Sorry, no link as this was on the radio. Having heard stories about the ABA, this could be entertaining.

Kdog

redwillow

Default Re: ABA movie

Sounds interesting. Will's the man. I don't know much about the ABA. Could you tell me some cool stuff you know that might be in the movie?

kdog

"Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto is a very readable history of the league. I just looked it up on amazon, and there are a number of reviews which highlight bits of the book. I read it about 10 years ago and remember enjoying the read, even if the details are fuzzy. I was about six when the ABA folded, so I have no first hand memories. Others who post here have spoken fondly of the ABA, so I'll defer to them.

Here is a good link for you:

http://www.remembertheaba.com

Will Farrell would be a good parody character from the ABA. And trust me - there were some characters. I have some reservation about how they would handle the story line. I mean c'mon, Farell's humor is about as sophmorish as it gets.

If you are truly interested in the old ABA, someone had mentioned the book Loose Balls. Highly recommended.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yada yada yada

get over the ABA guys, he's gone and no longer a memb...oh wait a minute.

Some may remember that I provided two ABA VHS tapes to Hicks for copy and uploading. I believe it proved too large for the amount of space he had...or some other techie thing I'll never understand. Ah yes, fun to watch whenever I want to anyway. They are very poor quality tho...but at least I gottem!!!
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Talladega Nights was hilarious, and hit nascar pretty well (all the advertising was ridiculous) and I don't doubt that he could make a good ABA parody movie.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yada yada yada

get over the ABA guys, he's gone and no longer a memb...oh wait a minute.

Some may remember that I provided two ABA VHS tapes to Hicks for copy and uploading. I believe it proved too large for the amount of space he had...or some other techie thing I'll never understand. Ah yes, fun to watch whenever I want to anyway. They are very poor quality tho...but at least I gottem!!!
    Gee thanks!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

This sounds like something right in his wheelhouse. The crazy promotions (cheerleaders in bikinis, etc), the whole late 60's/70's stuff like we saw in Anchorman, the almost Used Cars feel around the final buy-out deal.

As long as the ABA fans around here (including me) don't take it too personal when he turns it all into a total joke. I wouldn't expect anything respecting the ABA, other than to delight in and appreciate the zaniness of that era.

I hope this project comes through and gets done.