Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $3.17 a gallon?!

Default Re: $3.17 a gallon?!

Gas is insane and i'm curious how it is 7 dollars a gallon in Europe? So how long til we officially go to alternative means of transporation. Battery powered cars anyone?

Too bad our president is much more reactive than proactive.

I'm moving to Nashville here in October to go to Tech school for audio engineering. I wonder if they will just let me sleep at the school.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by brich View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It varies alot out here in NY...but currently it is at least $3.30/gallon. NY, CT, and MA are brutal. For some reason, NJ isn't quite as bad, and in NJ it is state law that an attendant from the gas station fill your tank for you (no self-service pumps, which is nice in the frigid winter or sweltering summer). The fuel is just the tip of the ice berg though. People generally still use heating oil out here to heat their homes, and that is through the roof.

Property taxes are even more fun. It has been between $600-800 a month where I live (near Poughkeepsie, NY), and when you go closer to the city into Westchester county, you are talking $1,000 a month in property taxes.

Next factor in that even this far out of NYC...the average price of a home is $400,000. As you go closer to the city, that number will climb steeply, and quickly. That $400,000 out here will probably buy you a 1970's era split level home complete with avocado green tile in the bathrooms...seriously.

The good news is that people who have purchased homes in the past 5 years or more have seen an unbelievable appreciation on their homes, and yes, there are alot of high paying jobs in NYC, but it is tough to adequately describe how dramatically you get squeezed by the cost of living out here.

I am sure the folks in DC and California can relate. Able, I have been to London, but I don't know enough to comment on the overall cost of living, but I realiz that Europeans have always spent much more on petro then we have.

Coincidentally, I am going to be moving from NY to Nashville, TN in the near future, and I can't wait. No more state tax! Yeah! Now I will be able to upgrade from Ramen noodles, Parmalat, and Spam to hamburger. I know that they get you on sales tax down there, but sales tax, like all other taxes, is pretty darn high out here too.

I mean no disrespect to New York or the rest of the East Coast, it really is an awesome place to live. I have a particular affinity for Boston since I lived there for 5 years, and there really is no place comparable to NYC. There is a ton of history, art, dining establshments, and much more that you really should see if you get the chance. You just need to be pulling down some serious cash to live comfortably out here.

I was shocked when I saw that there are new homes being built in Avon still, for as low as $140,000 - $150,000. Mobile homes can go in that price range out here.
    Quote Originally Posted by une View Post
    How is the public transportation in London?
    in itself PT (city) is brilliant, but then again, cheap is something else, a day travel card costs about $ 15 nice for a tourist but unusable for locals, as it is outside rush hour only, so frm here to the city and back at that time is $ 25 a day
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I don't see what the big deal is for (American) gas prices. I mean, yes the oil companies are gouging, and yes I'd like to move to a non-carbon economy as soon as possible. But is a 10% increase in gas prices really destroying most middle-class Americans? People are up in arms about it, but you'd save that much money by not going to the movies or eating out one less time per week.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is for (American) gas prices. I mean, yes the oil companies are gouging, and yes I'd like to move to a non-carbon economy as soon as possible. But is a 10% increase in gas prices really destroying most middle-class Americans? People are up in arms about it, but you'd save that much money by not going to the movies or eating out one less time per week.
    10% increase? Just a little over a year ago, it was unprecedented to see gas at $2.00 a gallon. Now we're at $3.00+ and climbing.

You want to know what pisses me off about this whole thing?

Firstly is the obvious fact that the companies are gouging, and nobody is stepping in to regulate it.

Secondly, nothing happens that causes gas prices to jump $0.20-0.30 a gallon in an instant, but it happens constantly.

And we have a reserve just for cases like this, but we aren't using it. We also have plenty of factories we could fire back up, but we aren't doing that either. Nothing like wasting all our refineries.

Those of us who already have to scrape by because prices keep inflating at a completely unreasonable rate are tired of taking it in the ***. And yet, minimum wage remains $5.15.

Of course, it doesn't surprise me, since our president has a personal stake in the industry.

This country is ****ed up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    add to that $ 10 for a pack of cigarettes
    Huh?? I haven't been to London since I've been a smoker, but in Spain, France and Netherlands packs were like $2.50, very cheap.

I didn't look to see what gas was here today, didn't pay attention but yesterday I paid 3.19 a gallon.

It's absoultely ridiculous at how high gas prices are. There has been no real reason for it either IMO. I think that some gov. officals have some stocks in oil companies because otherwise they would step in and stop this ****. This is stupid.

I plan on getting myself a diesel truck though next spring/summer. That is cheaper than regular gas although of course with a truck I will get much worse gas mileage I don't care because I love trucks. But i'd like to know how you make your own diesel fuel, anyone know how or have done it before?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    10% increase? Just a little over a year ago, it was unprecedented to see gas at $2.00 a gallon. Now we're at $3.00+ and climbing.
    What? Where have you been buying gas? A year ago, you'd be extremely lucky to get gas for 2 bucks a gallon.

Anybody got a chart of gas prices for the past 5 years or so?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

I did a comparison of Indiana and national prices over the past 3 years at indianagasprices.com:

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

People need to look here to find the best/worst gas prices in Indy:
    http://www.indygasprices.com/

What? Where have you been buying gas? A year ago, you'd be extremely lucky to get gas for 2 bucks a gallon.

Anybody got a chart of gas prices for the past 5 years or so?
    Yeah, I meant a couple years ago. Prices have fluctuated so constantly over the last 3-4 years that it's difficult to pinpoint exactly when gas cost what. It bounced up and down around the $2.00 line forever.

I still don't see where you're getting "10%" from, though. Gas prices have gone up almost 250% over the last 3 years, and may very well close in on 300% by the time it's all said and done. Absolutely outrageous.

Ok, so the last time gas was below 2.10 a gallon was in March of 2004. So it's been a while. Regardless, I agree that prices are high and there's gouging going on.

It's not a 250% increase, though. $2 gas to $3 gas is an increase of 50%.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Ok, so the last time gas was below 2.10 a gallon was in March of 2004. So it's been a while. Regardless, I agree that prices are high and there's gouging going on.

It's not a 250% increase, though. $2 gas to $3 gas is an increase of 50%.
    Since September 2003, it has raised up from around $1.45 to $3.20. That's in excess of 100% increase in less than 3 years, and the price will continue to rise.

I just filled up at $2.90 per gallon. (S.W. Florida)

I did see a station with with $3.04 per gallon.

You want to know what pisses me off about this whole thing?

Firstly is the obvious fact that the companies are gouging, and nobody is stepping in to regulate it.

Secondly, nothing happens that causes gas prices to jump $0.20-0.30 a gallon in an instant, but it happens constantly.

And we have a reserve just for cases like this, but we aren't using it. We also have plenty of factories we could fire back up, but we aren't doing that either. Nothing like wasting all our refineries.

Those of us who already have to scrape by because prices keep inflating at a completely unreasonable rate are tired of taking it in the ***. And yet, minimum wage remains $5.15.

Of course, it doesn't surprise me, since our president has a personal stake in the industry.

This country is ****ed up.

I thank God everyday that no one stepped in to regulate the gas prices. If they did when you wanted them to, would gas prices be at $2.19 as it is today. No it would be at $3.25.

My question: why is everyone so quick to think that gas prices will go to $4.00 a gallon. Of course there were some media reports about the gas prices going to $4.00 a gallon and most believed it, but if there were reports of gas prices going down to $2.19, very few would have believed it. Why is that

I just wish gas prices could go higher.

Or maybe I could drive farther. Right now my commute runs 40 miles one way.

Or maybe it could take me longer.. because a ten hour work day needs an hour or more tacked on each end.

Or maybe there could be more traffic.

Or rage.

Flocking rage man.

Nothing soothes the nerves like the guy in the next car being full of rage.

Or maybe cars, in addition to their drivers being less attentive and more distracted, maybe the cars should all drive faster.

And more lane changes.

And less insurance.

Flock it man let's just plant mines and all of us wear blind folds.

And randomly toss grenades out the windows.

Yes.

Yes.

DO IT! DO IT DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

You're a weird dude, Twes.

Leisure Suit Larry

stupid thread to bump.

a half tank of super + a half tank of regular >>> a full tank of plus

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I thank God everyday that no one stepped in to regulate the gas prices. If they did when you wanted them to, would gas prices be at $2.19 as it is today. No it would be at $3.25.

My question: why is everyone so quick to think that gas prices will go to $4.00 a gallon. Of course there were some media reports about the gas prices going to $4.00 a gallon and most believed it, but if there were reports of gas prices going down to $2.19, very few would have believed it. Why is that
    And it only took a couple of years for prices to drop back down a bit.

Don't worry, though. Prices will spike back up soon enough.

And it only took a couple of years for prices to drop back down a bit.

Don't worry, though. Prices will spike back up soon enough.

I think it will fluctuate between $2.00 and $2.49 from now until next spring. Unless something major happens. But the price always goes up in spring

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    a half tank of super + a half tank of regular >>> a full tank of plus
    And what exactly are you basing that on? Every gas station has two tanks of unleaded gas. One has regular, and the other has super. If you want the mid grade, the pump simply pulls half and half out of each tank. So technically what you said is the exact same thing, only twice the work.

You're a weird dude, Twes.

Don't forget your wiper washer.

Have you ever run completely out of wiper washer.

Wow is that fun.

I can't get enough of that.

Your whole life depends on a stick with rubber on it and a shot glass of wiper washer.