Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $3.17 a gallon?!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default $3.17 a gallon?!

Are you ****ing kidding me?!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: $3.17 a gallon?!

I would do cartwheels if I found gas for $3.17 somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would do cartwheels if I found gas for $3.17 somewhere.
    At least you're fortunate enough to be able to live in LA. I can't afford to pay that insanity to live here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    At least you're fortunate enough to be able to live in LA. I can't afford to pay that insanity to live here.
    $3.17!!! Try about $3.59 and thats the low grade.

Hey you can afford L.A, the cashiers at the grocery store make $18+ a hour. You can scrap for a couple years, then decide L.A is way over hyped and you're going to move. Like everyone does. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31
    $3.17!!! Try about $3.59 and thats the low grade.

Hey you can afford L.A, the cashiers at the grocery store make $18+ a hour. You can scrap for a couple years, then decide L.A is way over hyped and you're going to move. Like everyone does. lol
    Where is it $3.59?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where is it $3.17?

I paid $2.89 at noon today at Speedway at 86th and Ditch. And I got 2 cents off of that with my speedy rewards card, so it was really $2.87. You need to shop around I think.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    Where is it $3.17?

I paid $2.89 at noon today at Speedway at 86th and Ditch. And I got 2 cents off of that with my speedy rewards card, so it was really $2.87. You need to shop around I think.
    $3.17 at the corner of 82nd and Allisonville. It's $3.12 off of 42nd and Pendelton Pike. Even Costco is over $3.00 now.

Mood

I got pas at Kroger for $2.87 with my Kroger card (soutside Indianapolis)
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Gas prices make me and it's only going to get worse!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Where is it $3.59?
    L.A (La Cienega and Venice blvd)

I also paid 2.89 at the Speedway on 86th & Ditch. But they can do that because they're owned independently. I filled up at Shell (my preferred station) in Greenwood Wednesday evening for $2.89. The following afternoon I passed by there and saw it was $3.19. I think it's quite ironic that the prices SUDDENLY jump .30 cents in less than 24 hours at most stations the week of the Brickyard. No gauging my ***...

Dang. I don't think I'll ever get to drive with the way gas prices are increasing.

It's $3.01 in the gas station across my backyard.

Mood

Yeah, I saw a huge line at the Swifty yesterday. Turns out just about everybody else had shot up to $3.19 in Bloomington except them -- they were still at $2.95, although I'm sure that's changed by now.

I'm going to have to start riding my mountain bike to work.

Regular is now back down below 3 bucks.
    I paid $3.19 this morning for premium at Shell, down from $3.45 2 days ago.
    Hmmmmmmmm
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

stop complaining, come live here and you can pay $ 7.75 a gallon
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Are you serious?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

yep that is the regular price here at the cheapest pumps in London and there are places where the price is higher the $ 8.50

so filling up the jag is usually a $ 150 job and add to that $ 10 for a pack of cigarettes and going to the pump is offically more expensive then going to a Pacers game, oh and I forgot, a pint of water is $ 1.75

It varies alot out here in NY...but currently it is at least $3.30/gallon. NY, CT, and MA are brutal. For some reason, NJ isn't quite as bad, and in NJ it is state law that an attendant from the gas station fill your tank for you (no self-service pumps, which is nice in the frigid winter or sweltering summer). The fuel is just the tip of the ice berg though. People generally still use heating oil out here to heat their homes, and that is through the roof.

Property taxes are even more fun. It has been between $600-800 a month where I live (near Poughkeepsie, NY), and when you go closer to the city into Westchester county, you are talking $1,000 a month in property taxes.

Next factor in that even this far out of NYC...the average price of a home is $400,000. As you go closer to the city, that number will climb steeply, and quickly. That $400,000 out here will probably buy you a 1970's era split level home complete with avocado green tile in the bathrooms...seriously.

The good news is that people who have purchased homes in the past 5 years or more have seen an unbelievable appreciation on their homes, and yes, there are alot of high paying jobs in NYC, but it is tough to adequately describe how dramatically you get squeezed by the cost of living out here.

I am sure the folks in DC and California can relate. Able, I have been to London, but I don't know enough to comment on the overall cost of living, but I realiz that Europeans have always spent much more on petro then we have.

Coincidentally, I am going to be moving from NY to Nashville, TN in the near future, and I can't wait. No more state tax! Yeah! Now I will be able to upgrade from Ramen noodles, Parmalat, and Spam to hamburger. I know that they get you on sales tax down there, but sales tax, like all other taxes, is pretty darn high out here too.

I mean no disrespect to New York or the rest of the East Coast, it really is an awesome place to live. I have a particular affinity for Boston since I lived there for 5 years, and there really is no place comparable to NYC. There is a ton of history, art, dining establshments, and much more that you really should see if you get the chance. You just need to be pulling down some serious cash to live comfortably out here.

I was shocked when I saw that there are new homes being built in Avon still, for as low as $140,000 - $150,000. Mobile homes can go in that price range out here.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

redwillow

While I feel for your steep gasoline prices, I would like to remind you (inform you?) that this is becoming a financial risk to the budget of the average American. Thusly it has the potential to wreak havok on the US economy.

brich; housing in London is among the most expensive in the world, somewhere top 5, examples: rent for a 2 bed 1 bath 10 miles outside of london (3rd floor no elevator) is about $ 2,000 a month, in the city the same will be $ 2,500 a week
    Flats in the city will be around $ 1,500,000 and up, (studio) 2 bed 2 bath a vlient of mine just sold 2 for a combi price of $ 4,900,000
    forget house, starting price for a house in the city would be around $ 4 mio, in my beighbourhood the apartment I live in and pay $ 2k rent for; 1st floor just sold for $ 440,000 houses here start in the $ 800,000 region for a 2 bed disaster and go up to $ 15 mio for a 5 bed/5 bath

county tax, cheap, just $ 400 a month*cough* *cough*

and redwillow, I know, but it is something that the rest of world has already experienced over the past 20 years, so you had more then enough time to prepare.

Mood

We've got it cheap then -- $3.09

BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

brich; housing in London is among the most expensive in the world, somewhere top 5, examples: rent for a 2 bed 1 bath 10 miles outside of london (3rd floor no elevator) is about $ 2,000 a month, in the city the same will be $ 2,500 a week
    Flats in the city will be around $ 1,500,000 and up, (studio) 2 bed 2 bath a vlient of mine just sold 2 for a combi price of $ 4,900,000
    forget house, starting price for a house in the city would be around $ 4 mio, in my beighbourhood the apartment I live in and pay $ 2k rent for; 1st floor just sold for $ 440,000 houses here start in the $ 800,000 region for a 2 bed disaster and go up to $ 15 mio for a 5 bed/5 bath

and redwillow, I know, but it is something that the rest of world has already experienced over the past 20 years, so you had more then enough time to prepare.

Yeah, it sounds like London is pretty comparable to New York City, although I live about 75 (or more...sort of depends on where you are going) miles away from NYC. It is amazing. People actually will commute from this far out to NYC, so that they can have a house and large sized yard.

Manhatten is mainly apartments, and of course, they are extraordinarily expensive.

People will always pay the money though, I suppose. Cities like London and New York are almost impossible to replicate elsewhere.

Hopefully I will be in a better position to travel again once I head to Nashville. I would love to see London again. I was only able to spend a few days there, but there is obviously alot to see. If I make it back out there, then I will try to ring you up.

Also, hopefully I can also join the crew at one of these Pacer Digest gatherings in Indy. It will only be a weekends drive now.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...il-field_x.htm

Corrosion of Alaskan oil line hurts U.S. supply
    Updated 8/7/2006 5:23 AM ET
    ANCHORAGE (AP) — Oil giant BP has indefinitely shut down the nation's biggest oilfield after finding a pipeline leak, removing about 8% of U.S. oil production and stroking fears that already high gas prices will shoot up further.
    Steve Marshall, president of BP Exploration Alaska, Inc. said Sunday night that the eastern side of Prudhoe Bay would be shut down first, an operation anticipated to take 24 to 36 hours. The company will then move to shut down the west side, a move that could close more than 1,000 Prudhoe Bay wells.

Once the field is shut down, BP said oil production will be reduced by 400,000 barrels a day. That's close to 8% of U.S. oil production or about 2.6% of U.S. supply including imports, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

The shutdown comes at an already worrisome time for the oil industry, with supply concerns stemming both from the hurricane season and instability in the Middle East.

A 400,000-barrel per day reduction in output would have a major impact on oil prices, said Tetsu Emori, chief commodities strategist at Mitsui Bussan Futures in Tokyo. A barrel contains 42 gallons of crude oil.

"Oil prices could increase by as much as $10 per barrel given the current environment," Emori said. "But we can't really say for sure how big an effect this is going to have until we have more exact figures about how much production is going to be reduced."

But Victor Shum, an energy analyst with Purvin & Gertz in Singapore, said he expected the impact to be minimal since crude inventories are high.

"So while this won't have any immediate impact on U.S. supplies, the market is in very high anxiety. So any significant disruption, traders will take that into account, even though there is no threat of a supply shortage."

Light, sweet crude for September delivery was up $1.23 to $75.99 a barrel in mid-afternoon Asian electronic trading Monday on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Marshall said tests Friday indicated that there were 16 anomalies in 12 areas in an oil transit line on the eastern side of Prudhoe Bay. Tests found losses in wall thickness of between 70 and 81%. Repair or replacement is required if there is over an 80% loss.

"The results were absolutely unexpected," Marshall said.

BP officials said they didn't know how long the Prudhoe Bay field would be off line. "I don't even know how long it's going to take to shut it down," said Tom Williams, BP's senior tax and royalty counsel.

BP America Chairman and President Bob Malone said Prudhoe Bay will not resume operating until the company and government regulators are satisfied it can run safely without threatening the environment.

"We regret that it is necessary to take this action and we apologize to the nation and the State of Alaska for the adverse impacts it will cause," Malone said in a statement.

The shutdown comes six months after the North Slope's biggest ever oil spill was discovered on a Prudhoe Bay transit line. Some 267,000 gallons of oil spilled.

While BP suspects corrosion in both damaged lines, they can't say for sure until further tests are complete. Workers also found a small spill, estimated to be about 4 to 5 barrels, which has been contained and clean up efforts are underway, BP said.

BP, a unit of the London-based company BP PLC, puts millions of gallons of corrosion inhibitor into the Prudhoe Bay lines each year. It also examines pipes by taking X-rays and ultrasound images.

A prolonged Prudhoe Bay shutdown would be a major blow to domestic oil production, but even a short one could be crippling to Alaska's economy.

Alaska House Speaker John Harris said it was admirable that BP took immediate action, although it's sure to hurt state coffers. "This state cannot afford to have another Exxon Valdez," said Harris, R-Valdez.

The Exxon Valdez tanker emptied 11 million gallons of crude oil into Prince William Sound in 1989, killing hundreds of thousands of birds and marine animals and soiling more than 1,200 miles of rocky beach in nation's largest oil spill.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published

[QUOTE=Unclebuck;451514]

Corrosion of Alaskan oil line hurts U.S. supply

I was just about to post this UB. As someone already said it's going to get worse.

The thing is we can always stay home and not go anywhere but work and save gas money, but there's nothing much we can do about cold winters and hot summers.

une

How is the public transportation in London?