Thread: Odd playoff thoughts....

Default Odd playoff thoughts....

I never & I repeat never want to see the letters DNP-CD after Austin Croshere's name again after tonight during the playoffs.

I don't care how, but they have to find some min. for the man. Where Al Harrington turned game one around for us last night Austin Croshere got it going. The rest of the bench kicked in as well, but it was Cro that got it going.

His physical play will never show up on the stat board but the picks he put on Atkins, the body he put on Blount & his driving without the ball all turned what was sort of a timid outing by the team into a hell bent for leather *** kicking. His three was just icing on the cake, but his driving to the basket forced Boston out of their zone.

I asked after game one, how do you tell a player like him he is not needed. Tonight I say it again.

Rick is a great coach & I trust him implicantly. But I also know he understands what Austin brings to the floor. The man must play, because like Reggie said in his post game comments that he was a lot like him because he showed up early & left late from practice. I will add that he is like Reggie in another way as well. He is clutch. He knows when a game is big & that he elevates his play to match the game. He is a product of our old team after all.

Which brings us to Al Harrington. Is anybody else proud of Al? Does anybody rememeber when he was baby Al & he was our beloved rookie who never touched the floor on our old vet. team? Our boy has grown into a man. Second double double in a row.

He started off with that turnaround fade away & missed it. I started to get worried. But then he drove the rest of the night & he hit the boards. Al has been a consistant pain in the *** to the Celtics & I love him for it. He has been outstanding throughout this playoff series. Let's hope he continues to understand that whenever he grabs double figure rebounds he is at his most valuable.

Jon Bender. The condor. Man he swooped in & picked up rebounds & all I could do is sit there & think that Walsh has to be the happiest man in the world. Marcus Camby revisited. He didn't box anybody out but he just got the boards.

Was anybody else so happy with him because he didn't hang his *** out at the three point line all night? Keep playing like this & it's going to be harder & harder for teams to beat us. He scared Ricky Davis out of a dunk with his shot blocking ability.

On a side note, when he hit the shot & got fouled did anybody else cringe when Al came up & playfully bumped him? I was freaking out that he might dislocate his shoulder .

Fred Jones. I've found our starting two guard of the future. I wish I had more to say but what can be said about a player who only gets better & better with each playoff game. The only problem this is going to cause is what the heck do you do with Al Harrington because Ron Artest probably won't be moving to the two spot.

Oh well, that's for next year. But for now let's just say dunk of the playoffs so far. Not to mention the defense he lays down.

Anthony Johnson. I know this guy has been getting beat up on here for months now & even I have questioned his playmaking abilities. But the defense he puts on Atkins is just great & even his playmaking has not been horrid. I'd still like to see Anderson get a shot, but I'm willing to let Rick make the call without complaining.

Jermaine O'Neal had another strong effort & had another "T" for his troubles. BTW, I hate Joey Crawford. Benet Salvatore is the worst ref. in the NBA but Crawford has overtaken Javie as being king ***. BTW, yes I know that it was not Crawford that gave O'Neal the "T" but I hate him anyway.

Jamaal Tinsley. Mixed. I've been pissed pissed pissed at his defense on Atkins & his entry passes have driven me up a wall. However he did score some badly needed offense in the fourth. I've not been happy with his playoff performance so far, I'll just leave it at that.

Scot Pollard. 10 seconds 1 foul. It was a good foul though.

Rick Carlisle. Let me echo brother Uncle Buck. Game ball to the man with the plan. The team defense on Pierce was outstanding. I counted Harrington, Jones, Miller, Croshere, Bender, Johnson & Foster all on Ricky during the game. All gave him differant looks & gave him differant problems. Letting the bench go from the third to the fourth was gutsy & in the end paid huge dividens. I had some problems in the early part of the game with the offense but I'm not sure that the team was following his plans.

Great great coaching job by Rick Carlisle.

The fieldhouse rocked. The crowd, although not sold out, was definately into this game & was very very loud. I had to yell just to talk to my wife or son during the game. The fans behind the Celt. bench was on fire.

M-V-P chant for O'Neal. Of course he blows the free throw, but it's the thought that counts.

Here is something we all can be proud of. When the bench was kicking *** the starters were cheering louder & harder than any fan in the fieldhouse. Harrington turned to the crowd several times to help cheer on the bench bunch.

Funny, but it was easy to connect with this team tonight. It's not just the win, although that does help, but it was the selflessness that in the past has so epitamized pacers basketball that I could see.

I hope to not go back to the fieldhouse till game one of round two. But I wouldn't be suprised to see Boston take one, but that's all they'll take if they take that.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd playoff thoughts....

Funny thing is I been saying that all year about Croshere and I hear people moan and groan when Croshere comes in the game everytime

Very insightful Peck. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who noticed that Croshere has always picked his game up for the playoffs in a big way. Hopefully his presence the rest of the way will be the blessing of the Ron Artest suspension in disguise.

By the way, I did get my leg finally looked at. Popliteus Tendonitis or something like that.

Will you have to wear a splint on your leg?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Nice post Peck. Austin has certainly vindicated himself, although in my mind, he hever had to.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo

Cro needs to come into the game when Jeff comes out. I think he should get the backup center minutes. His nose for the ball was very needed last night and his offensive rebounds really did the trick.

The one thing that scared the hell out of me last night was when Tinsley fell on that damn Camera......

He laid on the floor in agaony for a solid 10 seconds. I weas scared, then he stood back up and walked it off and went back out. I just hope that he's ok in the long run. We do need him.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This post summarizes pretty much my thoughts after the fourth quarter last night.

All year I've been nervous about the amount of time Fred Jones has gotten, because I just didn't really see what he had that gave him a lift over someone like Brewer, who I think could be a backcourt RonRon given a chance, but that's my particular neurosis and fodder for another thread). Last night, though, I saw the light as if it were a revelation from heaven - does anyone here think that Freddie shows up like he did last night without having had the constant pressure all season to try to deliver?

I've always felt that a certain coach who shall not be named made major errors in Austin Croshere's playing time - not just through the number of DNP-CDs, but through what has become an acknowledged unwillingness to explain the cause. Austin's own quotes show that he finds it much easier to understand his role when he knows in advance whether the game plan involves him and why or why not. If I had to pick one thing Rick Carlisle brings to this team it is that ability to communicate his reasons for doing things to the players in a way that they don't just understand them, they embrace them.

I'll also admit that I've been on the "who the hell is Jonathan Bender" wagon since he was drafted. I've really never seen that much-vaunted "potential" do anything at all practical ... until last night. Holy frijoles and little tacquitas. Inside, outside, moving, standing still - if this man plays this way against teams that aren't as bogus as Boston we've really got a huge winner on our hands, and maybe - just maybe - he can be moved out of the "Walsh Error" category.

Finally, the thing that really stands out for me is how much this team resembles the pre-superstar championship teams I remember fondly. I make no bones about being a defensive fanatic - I'd rather see a 60-59 defensive war than a 138-134 basketfest. Having missed the first 3 quarters (church meetings. hmmph. during the playoffs?), I can't rate how the starters did. However, on the way home I was hearing the score somewhat regularly and I told my wife that it sounded like our problem was missing shots but that we were clearly still applying some very strong defense. When Boston just completely ran out of gas in the fourth quarter it was clear that we won by having more in the tank for a confident and cohesive second unit to use to put the game away.

It wasn't perfect. I'd sure like to see a replay of Reggie's dumb move at the end of the first half to figure out what he was thinking. I was appalled at AJ's ball handling. I'd really, really, really like to find one Pacer player who can step on the court and be a guaranteed offensive monster (see "future", "Bender", and "Jones" above - I hope). I'd like to understand why we keep resorting to low-percentage jumpers instead of continuing to drive the ball inside and get to the foul line.

But for one glorious finish of one very important game, I thought I was watching a team that could do this through the East and maybe - just maybe - bring that championship banner home.

Boom. Boom. Boom.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Great post Peck, I wish I could be that coherent at 2:00 AM I tried last night but could not pull it off.

Croshere: I have no problem with him playing and when he does I expect him to play well, no one can ever question his attitude, his work ethic, his hustle, his rebounding, or his aggression. But there are only so many minutes to go around. It is not like Pollard is playing at all. Bender only played 9 minutes in game one. In a playoff game can you get 10 guys enough minutes so that they are effective.

As far as last night's game, I turned to my guy who sits next to me with about a minute to go in the game and said we need something from Cro, and he delivered.

Harrington: I really hate to bring this up, but I have to report what I saw, let me first say he has been brilliant in both games one and two, but he pouted big time when taken out of the game with about 3 or 4 minutes left, he sat on the bench very upset, both Brown and Rothestein tried to console him, Reggie tried, Foster tried, AL was pouting, mad he was taken out. He sat on the bench and was not cheering until the very end when he did stand up and cheer as the clock wound down, Reggie hugged him and he seemed Ok.

Two other comments that are AL related - I wodner why AL did not defend Pierce at all in the second half, not one time, when he defended him the whole first half.

in the second half, Reggie started on him, then Jeff, then Bender, and Freddie a little.

Rick after the game said the spacing was bad in the first half, my thought is he does not like AL in there with Jeff and J.O. which allowd teams to pack it in.

Freddie Jones: I agree he is our next starting shooting guard. His toughness physically and mentally have been impressive, his defense on Davis has been a huge key.

Bender: Is there a more exciting rebounder in the NBA.

[quote="BillS"] All year I've been nervous about the amount of time Fred Jones has gotten, because I just didn't really see what he had that gave him a lift over someone like Brewer, who I think could be a backcourt RonRon given a chance, but that's my particular neurosis and fodder for another thread). Last night, though, I saw the light as if it were a revelation from heaven - does anyone here think that Freddie shows up like he did last night without having had the constant pressure all season to try to deliver?

I've always felt that a certain coach who shall not be named made major errors in Austin Croshere's playing time - not just through the number of DNP-CDs, but through what has become an acknowledged unwillingness to explain the cause. Austin's own quotes show that he finds it much easier to understand his role when he knows in advance whether the game plan involves him and why or why not. If I had to pick one thing Rick Carlisle brings to this team it is that ability to communicate his reasons for doing things to the players in a way that they don't just understand them, they embrace them.

BillS, great point, and that is why during the regular season a coach must use the bench, if it costs your team a game or two, you must still use the bench let them play through good and bad, and now we see the results, with Freddie. Frted had many bad games this season, many games where he hurt the team, but Rick showed confidence in him and he worked him all season and now Freddie is a player.

Hmmmm - me thinks BillS is an inside Pacer PR man! Well written BillS - nice read.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Fred Jones. I've found our starting two guard of the future. I wish I had more to say but what can be said about a player who only gets better & better with each playoff game. The only problem this is going to cause is what the heck do you do with Al Harrington because Ron Artest probably won't be moving to the two spot.

Oh well, that's for next year. But for now let's just say dunk of the playoffs so far. Not to mention the defense he lays down.
    From Pacers.com-
    The Pacers are 8-2 this season in games Artest has missed. In those games, they've actually held opponents to a lower field goal percentage (.416) than in games Artest has played (.434), while the points allowed averages are roughly the same (88.2 without Artest, 88.0 with).

In Harrington's 16 starts, the Pacers are now 13-3.

I'm wondering if you're wondering what to do with the right person.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody wanna trade Cro or Bender today? (U know what I mean)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

From Pacers.com-
    The Pacers are 8-2 this season in games Artest has missed. In those games, they've actually held opponents to a lower field goal percentage (.416) than in games Artest has played (.434), while the points allowed averages are roughly the same (88.2 without Artest, 88.0 with).

In Harrington's 16 starts, the Pacers are now 13-3.

I'm wondering if you're wondering what to do with the right person.......
    Good God man, don't let Uncle Buck see this. (ducking for cover from the wrath of Buck)

Good God man, don't let Uncle Buck see this. (ducking for cover from the wrath of Buck)
    I saw that movie

geekman

Great posts and a great great game. That was the most excitement I've felt watching a Pacer game in a long time. Just a great, great game.

...that is why during the regular season a coach must use the bench, if it costs your team a game or two, you must still use the bench let them play through good and bad, and now we see the results, with Freddie. Frted had many bad games this season, many games where he hurt the team, but Rick showed confidence in him and he worked him all season and now Freddie is a player.
    I'm a believer. Excellent observation. I can't tell you how many times Freddie's play depressed me. Props to Rick; How wrong I was.

I sit in the end zone where Freddie finished his grand slam. I saw him coming the second he headed for the basket and I doubt I will ever forget that dunk amd seeing it unfold. It was a memory of lasting beauty - captured, I might add, magnificently by Magic Rat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this was the 2nd time this year our team has played its reserves and come back to eventually win the game. We did it against the Bulls in the season finale, and last night reminded me a whole lot of that game. Granted, they were both different opponents, and one didn't even make the playoffs (though the Celtics don't belong anyway), but I think our bench is spectacular and has proven it can beat a team by itself.