Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford on Harrington Saga

Default Chad Ford on Harrington Saga

"The Pacers made a couple of solid trades highlighted by the acquisition of Marquis Daniels, but they won't be dramatically better unless they figure out a way to convince Hawks ownership to defrost GM Billy Knight from his cryogenic freezing chamber (he bought it from Elgin Baylor on eBay) so he'll agree to sign-and-trade Al Harrington.

Harrington fired long-time agent Andy Miller earlier this week and is reportedly replacing him with Arn Tellem. Tellem seems to hold unusual sway over the Hawks. He convinced them to give away two first-round picks and Boris Diaw for his client, Joe Johnson, last summer and he talked the Hawks into drafting another of his clients, Shelden Williams, very high in the draft.

Right now, the hold up seems to be $3 million. Chump change by NBA standards. The Hawks want the Pacers to pay it as part of the deal. The Pacers feel like they're already giving up enough (they're offering their 2007 first-round pick and are willing to take back John Edwards' salary from Atlanta). Both teams have their side of the story but it's hard to believe that Atlanta isn't going to relent.

The Pacers and the Bobcats are the only teams capable of swallowing Harrington's salary without sending back a player. The Bobcats aren't interested in Harrington so what's the hold up? While the Hawks drag their feet, they've been completely immobilized in the free agent market again." - Chad Ford
    That guy is hands down my favorite of the NBA guys over at ESPN. Seems like we have nothing to worry about and that Al only hired Tellem to get the deal done.

Default Re: Chad Ford on Harrington Saga

2007 first round draft pick?
    My Dream Team

PG - A.Iverson
    SG - K.Bryant
    SF - R.Artest
    PF - J.O'Neal
    C - D.Howard

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BK may have screwed the pooch here. That's just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by J_2_Da_IzzO
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I dont want to do it no more. Next years draft looks to irresistable to miss out on. ALOT of forwards next year. We should just get us a PG now and get a forward from the draft next year.
    My Dream Team

PG - A.Iverson
    SG - K.Bryant
    SF - R.Artest
    PF - J.O'Neal
    C - D.Howard

Al is easily better than anyone we could get with somewhere around the 20th pick. Some cash will get pulled off the tabel and this will get done. The Hawks won't play with Tellem.

Tellem seems to hold unusual sway over the Hawks.
    Both teams have their side of the story but it's hard to believe that Atlanta isn't going to relent.
    I like that perspective on the agent change. Tellem has certainly been a player in some of the Hawks' recent questionable decisions (JJ trade, Shelden Williams at #5) -- to his clients' advantage, not the Hawks' -- so maybe he's got Knight by the short hairs and can get a S&T deal done for Al that is favorable to both Al and to us.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

I dont want to do it no more. Next years draft looks to irresistable to miss out on. ALOT of forwards next year. We should just get us a PG now and get a forward from the draft next year.
    You're joking, right?

Perhaps DW has another trade on the table (e.g., involving Jack) that would net us a replacement pick in next year's draft.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherBirdCreation
    Al is easily better than anyone we could get with somewhere around the 20th pick. Some cash will get pulled off the tabel and this will get done. The Hawks won't play with Tellem.
    Granger is going to be better than Al, and he went 17th in a considerably weaker draft than next year's is projected to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Granger is going to be better than Al, and he went 17th in a considerably weaker draft than next year's is projected to be.
    You get a player like Granger at 17 once in a blue moon.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Granger should have been a top 5 pick so this point is moot...what worries me is that this pick might be unconditional. As long it's lottery-protected or even better, top 20 protected, I'll concede to this deal.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Pacers make the playoff as they should if they acquire Al Harrington , you are talking pick #14 at best. Sorry just lottery protect the pick and get the deal done.

Shawne Williams is basicly your 2007 #1 a lottery pic, while James White is your #1 in 2006.

We are talking potential in any pick 14 and lower. Al is only 26 not an old timer. He's a proven besides how many of these "can't miss" picks in 2007 will miss? Just lottery protect the pick and make the trade.

If the league didn't put in the age requirement, this years draft would have been a record setting draft for HS kids. The talent that the class of 06 produced was amazing.

The All Star games were far and away the best they've been in 10+yrs, probably ever.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    Granger should have been a top 5 pick so this point is moot...what worries me is that this pick might be unconditional. As long it's lottery-protected or even better, top 20 protected, I'll concede to this deal.
    But he WASN'T a top 5 pick. And there's nothing saying that won't happen again. Would he be anywhere near a top 5 pick in next year's draft?

I'd be okay with top 20 protection, but anything less than that I'm worried about. And I have a feeling it's unprotected.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    You get a player like Granger at 17 once in a blue moon.
    JO was drafted 17.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Al Harrington is NOT worth next year's first round draft pick, AL is a good player and all but he's not that good.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    If the Pacers make the playoff as they should if they acquire Al Harrington , you are talking pick #14 at best. Sorry just lottery protect the pick and get the deal done.

Shawne Williams is basicly your 2007 #1 a lottery pic, while James White is your #1 in 2006.

We are talking potential in any pick 14 and lower. Al is only 26 not an old timer. He's a proven besides how many of these "can't miss" picks in 2007 will miss? Just lottery protect the pick and make the trade.
    Regardless...it seems the hold up isn't over the pick...it's the 3 mil. I thought that that was the easiest to give up. Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    JO was drafted 17.
    Yeah, and JO was a potential pick. It took 4 years before anyone knew if he could do anything.

(We also didn't draft him)

Players like Granger who can play well in their first year aren't going to be abundant where we're picking. You're saying you would rather give up Al for a guy we'll have to wait 4-5 years on? We've already got a star in JO; I'm interested in building around him.

Yeah, and JO was a potential pick. It took 4 years before anyone knew if he could do anything.

Players like Granger who can play well in their first year aren't going to be abundant where we're picking. You're saying you would rather give up Al for a guy we'll have to wait 4-5 years on? We've already got a star in JO; I'm interested in building around him.
    But does Al make us a title contender in the next 4-5 years? Because that's all that really matters.

That's another thing. Guys like JO don't come along very often. I say we try to do our best to use his prime wisely...it's a toughie...but for the love of god, protect that pick.

I don't want to wait for a player we draft NEXT summer to MAYBE be better than Harrington in 3-4 years (best case scenario), when we could acquire an 18/7 player NOW in Harrington.

Sure, I'd like to have a pick in next year's draft -- and maybe we will if DW can trade Jack or work some other deal -- but not enough to pass on someone of Al's ability who can contribute NOW.

But does Al make us a title contender in the next 4-5 years? Because that's all that really matters.
    No, Al alone does not make us a title contender. But as Hicks said, you can't judge it like that. No one player is going to make you a title contender.

But Al gets you that much closer to being a title contender. To contend, we need to put a great supporting cast around JO. Heading into this offseason, that supporting cast consisted of..... Danny. Now, we have added 'Quis and soon Al. We just have to keep adding pieces.

I would never give up a potential lottery pick in next year's draft just to acquire the "right" to pay an overrated redundant forward who would stunt the growth of younger, cheaper and potentially for more useful and talented players 60 million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    I would never give up a potential lottery pick in next year's draft just to acquire the "right" to pay an overrated redundant forward 60 million dollars.
    It's like my mama always taught me: PROTECTION! PROTECTION! PROTECTION!