Thread: Star] Walsh: Pacers keep their options open

Default Star] Walsh: Pacers keep their options open

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...608030410/1088

August 3, 2006

Walsh: Pacers keep their options open
    With agent change, Harrington deal unlikely to happen anytime soon
    By Mark Montieth

mark.montieth@indystar.com

Al Harrington hopes a change of agents will be the agent of change that brings a resolution to his free agency.

Just how that affects the Indiana Pacers' status as the leading contender for Harrington remains to be seen. CEO Donnie Walsh, however, remains hopeful even as he considers possible backup plans.

"We do think about that," Walsh said. "We'll spend the rest of the summer developing something I think will be good. If (the Pacers lose Harrington), we still have the trade exception.

"I don't see anybody in the free agent market that fills (the need for a starting forward) other than Al. At the same time, I think through trades there may be somebody out there who fits our team. I've got some people in mind. We'll have to see."

Harrington's status became murkier after he dropped agent Andy Miller in favor of Arn Tellem earlier this week, arousing speculation that the bidding will be reopened. Harrington has said he would like to return to the Pacers, where he played his first six NBA seasons.

The Pacers were the only team negotiating for Harrington in recent weeks, and had reached a standstill with Atlanta, his most recent team.

For Tellem to bring significant change to the negotiations, he'll have to convince the Hawks to take back contracts that would add to their payroll, something they have not wanted to do.

If he achieves that, the Pacers could use their trade exception in a three- or four-team deal to acquire Harrington, or look elsewhere for frontcourt help.
    The Pacers also have the mid-level exception, which would allow them to offer a free agent contract starting at $5.2 million, and the biannual exception of $1.8 million.

They could use their trade exception and the mid-level without having to pay the luxury tax, but Walsh indicated that would be done only if a special opportunity arises. They also can use a portion of the mid-level exception.
    Tellem did not return a telephone call to his office. Harrington has been unreachable since changing his cell number.

According to NBA rules, Tellem cannot officially become Harrington's agent for two weeks after the termination letter was sent to Miller. A trade can be made during that period, however, with the National Basketball Players Association acting on Harrington's behalf. Tellem still can negotiate the trade and receive a fee for his work.

"I'm sure there will be a period where Arn is going to go back over the steps taken by Andy, so there will be a delay," Walsh said. "Other than that, there shouldn't be a difference. I've dealt with both men. I thought Andy did everything he should have done. Arn will do everything he should do."

The Pacers had offered their $7.5 million trade exception and a first-round draft pick to the Hawks for Harrington, who averaged 18.6 points and 6.9 rebounds last season. They might have been willing to take back former Pacers center John Edwards in the deal, but the talks stalled over whether the Pacers would include a cash payment.

That all could change now that Tellem is representing Harrington. Walsh, however, is comfortable working with Tellem, who represented former Pacers Reggie Miller, Mark Jackson and Jonathan Bender, and now represents Jermaine O'Neal.

Tellem already has talked with Walsh a few times regarding Harrington as well as members of Atlanta's ownership group in an attempt to recharge the process.

"There's a lot of time yet," Walsh said.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Star] Walsh: Pacers keep their options open

Argh!!! We give up a first round pick. The stalling is over the cash payment!!!

This better not be next years first rounder!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

You know, I'm not going to be horribly disappointed if this doesn't go through. I think we might be able to use that TE still.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Aggreed, Rexnom. I never was a big favorite of getting back Al. I could live with him coming back as he would obviously reenforce our team, but I don't think he's what our team is missing. I also don't see him as a necessary vital piece for a championship team here.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

The TE and a 1st round pick was a fair deal for Al. The Hawks are being very greedy unless you assume the Pacers are going to the finals and will have the 20 something pick. Even then, we would get a good player particularly in next year's draft. That pick combined with the TE is fair for a tweener who was not even the best player on a crappy team....and could not crack our starting line up and had to be shipped out...and who should not start on our current team with Granger and JO.

The Hawks were lucky to get the offer they did. In fact, I would prefer using the TE on someone who would fit the team better AND use our 1st round pick next year on a particularly deep draft.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The TE and a 1st round pick was a fair deal for Al. The Hawks are being very greedy unless you assume the Pacers are going to the finals and will have the 20 something pick. Even then, we would get a good player particularly in next year's draft. That pick combined with the TE is fair for a tweener who was not even the best player on a crappy team....and could not crack our starting line up and had to be shipped out...and who should not start on our current team with Granger and JO.

The Hawks were lucky to get the offer they did. In fact, I would prefer using the TE on someone who would fit the team better AND use our 1st round pick next year on a particularly deep draft.
    While I don't agree with you're sentiment that the Hawks were lucky to get the offer they did (I think they could have done better), I do agree with the bolded part. My only question is, can we find such a player? How attractice is it for any given team to do a salary dump of near 7.5mil?

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Argh!!! We give up a first round pick. The stalling is over the cash payment!!!

This better not be next years first rounder!

Regards,

Mourning
    I think Bird and Walsh are thinking if JO doesn't get it done this next season they will push him out the door and trade him for the highest first rounder they can get. (plus other considerations of course) Then they would still have Al to play PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    CEO Donnie Walsh, however, remains hopeful even as he considers possible backup plans.

"We do think about that," Walsh said. "We'll spend the rest of the summer developing something I think will be good. If (the Pacers lose Harrington), we still have the trade exception.

"I don't see anybody in the free agent market that fills (the need for a starting forward) other than Al. At the same time, I think through trades there may be somebody out there who fits our team. I've got some people in mind. We'll have to see."
    I wonder who he has in mind, interesting.

One thing I really worry about as Bird takes over is Bird's relationship and reputation with player agents. Donnie has always had an excellent relationship and reputation with the agents and that is so important in todays NBA and I just don't see Bird having that. In fact that is what worries me most about Bird taking over for DW.

I do like the spin in the article that the Pacers primary need is a starting PF. Guess Jermaine O'Neal just doesn't cut it.

Rather than say that what you REALLY need is a starting center ...

Of course the DWIG crowd will take that and run with it which I'm sure is what he's counting on.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

One thing I really worry about as Bird takes over is Bird's relationship and reputation with player agents. Donnie has always had an excellent relationship and reputation with the agents and that is so important in todays NBA and I just don't see Bird having that. In fact that is what worries me most about Bird taking over for DW.
    I'll be surprised if Donnie completely retires. There are alot of consultants in the world and I could see Pacer Consultant affixed to DW's name.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Yeah, but that's unavoidable. Frankly, I'd like to keep DW forever but that's just impossible. We're just lucky we had him for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    I do like the spin in the article that the Pacers primary need is a starting PF. Guess Jermaine O'Neal just doesn't cut it.

Of course the DWIG crowd will take that and run with it which I'm sure is what he's counting on.

At first I read it the same way as you did, but on a reread, I see the quote as a starting forward and not necessarily a starting power forward. In fact DW didn't mention anything about a forward either, the part in ( ) was added by MM to interpret what DW was saying

At first I read it the same way as you did, but on a reread, I see the quote as a starting forward and not necessarily a starting power forward. In fact DW didn't mention anything about a forward either, the part in ( ) was added by MM to interpret what DW was saying
    Regardless, I'm pretty sure that Donnie understands that we have two positions solidified. One is SF and the other one is either PF or C...it depends on where you really think JO can be more effective.

Yeah - except you can at least argue that Harrington could be a starting SF (I think you'd lose the argument) but calling Al Harrington anything but an F would gain you entrance into the NBA equivalent of the loony bin.

I don't want to word-smith here but the problem is the Pacers need a center far, far more than they need someone at either forward position. Getting Al means one of three things - the Pacers are paying a guy close to $10 million per year to be a 6th man, they plan to move JO to C, or they plan on trading JO.

Personally, whatever they pay him I think Al's best suited for the first choice but I have a feeling that's not why the Pacers are getting him.

In fact, IMO the Pacers are getting him more because the fans will do cartwheels over it than because he'll actually help the team.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    Regardless, I'm pretty sure that Donnie understands that we have two positions solidified. One is SF and the other one is either PF or C...it depends on where you really think JO can be more effective.
    :qft:
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I think they consider the PF and C positions to be more interchangable. If we don't get Al, I could see them pursuing a C or a PF with the TPE. Either way, I think they want someone who can replace some of Peja's scoring, something you typically don't get from the C position.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Yeah - except you can at least argue that Harrington could be a starting SF (I think you'd lose the argument) but calling Al Harrington anything but an F would gain you entrance into the NBA equivalent of the loony bin.
    You're not getting it.

No one said Al is anything other than a forward. The speculation is whether the alternative players DW is targeting if the Al deal falls apart are forwards, just power forwards, centers, or if MM just made up his own interpretation of what DW meant.

In Rick's system (at least until now) the power forward and center were interchangable and the shooting guard and small forward were interchangable (offensively). Rick always made a big deal about how Granger was able to pick up and play two totally different positions last season.

I use the past tense because I expect some changes in this system

I found this to be the most interesting and revelatory part:

According to NBA rules, Tellem cannot officially become Harrington's agent for two weeks after the termination letter was sent to Miller. A trade can be made during that period, however, with the National Basketball Players Association acting on Harrington's behalf. Tellem still can negotiate the trade and receive a fee for his work.
    So something might get done earlier than the 15 days.

3 things that still have to be answered:

1) Is Al changing agents because he wants more $ (more than the TPE)?

2) Is Al open to being traded to more teams that GS and Indy?

3) Would Atlanta take back contracts in compensation for Al?

The answers to these could dramatically change the landscape for any Al Harrington trade.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would like Al back, but I'm still not willing to give up our first rounder next year for him. There's a decent chance that player will end up being at least as good as Al, if not better.

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    You're not getting it.

No one said Al is anything other than a forward. The speculation is whether the alternative players DW is targeting if the Al deal falls apart are forwards, just power forwards, centers, or if MM just made up his own interpretation of what DW meant.
    He put Donnie's remarks in quotes. That's not interpretation.

And I already said I'm not going to word-smith.

As to what Donnie MEANS - nobody knows except maybe Bird.

But since Al won't help you much anyway, my opinion is this trade is mainly being pursued for PR reasons, something to keep the fan base happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I would like Al back, but I'm still not willing to give up our first rounder next year for him. There's a decent chance that player will end up being at least as good as Al, if not better.

What if it were lottery protected which is now the top 14, or what if it were even top 20 protected. You still wouldn't give up that pick.

What if it were lottery protected which is now the top 14, or what if it were even top 20 protected. You still wouldn't give up that pick.
    Top 20 protection definitely...top 14...probably...anthing less...iffy

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Top 20? Yeah. Top 14? Nope.

So Donnie has a God complex?