Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Think about the unthinkable....what do we do if we don't get Big Al?

Sports Logo

Default Think about the unthinkable....what do we do if we don't get Big Al?

This was brought up in the Pacer RealGM....and given the most recent development in all this.....if we take Harrington out of the equation.....given the T/E that we have and coupled with "preferable...but not required" moves that we would hope that are made ( aka...moving Tinsley or SJax )....where do we go from here?

I see at least 1 of 3 possible moves:

1 ) Use the T/E by itself to add depth to the PF or Center spots
    2 ) Use the T/E in conjuntion with moving Tinsley to get a starting ( but likely overpaid ) quality PG.
    3 ) Use the T/E in conjuction with moving SJax to get a starting ( but likely overpaid and likely overrated ) quality Center.

Regardless....any move that we make...assuming that Harrington does not join us.....should be used to acquire any other player outside of a SG or SF since we are deepest at those positions.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Default Re: Think about the unthinkable....what do we do if we don't get Big Al?

I know I am one of the few but I hope we don't get AL. I think we can trade and get an upgrade at SG. I think foster and SJ could be traded to get a decent SG. The thing about the NBA these days are that some teams are willing to trade a good player if they rid themselves of a bad contract. So we could do something like trade Foster and SJ for a good SG and in the same trade or a different trade trade our TE and cash for the other player with a bad contract (which would be the only reason for the team to trade away the good player). I say this because we know just a draft pick and our TE isn't going to get us a good player.

I think Wilcox would also be a good addition especailly if we were going to let JO play center. Wilcox is by far a better post defender than Harrington.

Default Re: Think about the unthinkable....what do we do if we don't get Big Al?

I guess PacerCrazy will have to rename his kid Danny Maceo-Jermaine.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

I would think that the only reason why JONeal would be playing Center is because we got Harrington.

If we don't get Harrington...I'm not entirely in favor of having JONeal play the Center spot.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess PacerCrazy will have to rename his kid Danny Maceo-Jermaine.
    Or Danny, Iverson -Jermaine ?

Why Not Us ?

And I was so looking forward to BIG AL hitting 1 of 2 at the line in pressure situations.

You're all going on and on as if the dude is a savior.

The Pacers didn't win (as much as they should've) when he was here (with a better team) and he's certainly not gonna be the difference that pushes them to the next level.

We could always use the TE to get Bonzi.

We won 61/82 games with him here.

The TE can't be traded in conjunction with a player.

Bet that's already been posted before I can finish typing this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherBirdCreation
    We could always use the TE to get Bonzi.

If we don't get Al, we'll use the TE to get either a legit Center or a Shooter from a team that needs to shed salary.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    We won 61/82 games with him here.
    Al was a very good player (even better pre surgery) make no mistake about that, but he alone was not the reason we won 61 games.

Simply not getting all does not equate to the end of the world.

Now if we dont get Al and dont make another other moves......

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Al was a very good player (even better pre surgery) make no mistake about that, but he alone was not the reason we won 61 games.

Simply not getting all does not equate to the end of the world.

Now if we dont get Al and dont make another other moves......
    That's just it; It's not only that I like Al and was very happy with the idea of him coming back, but if we don't get him, I don't expect us to get someone else as good as he is.

I only mention the 61 win season because of the comments above that try to say Al never helped us win anything.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with that Hicks.

I just dont want to be stuck in another situation where we overpay (again) for a player, esp. for PR reasons, and then be stuck with a bad contract for years to come.

As for the other comments, Al did a lot of good things in his time with the Pacers. Sure he had his moments where he couldnt perform, but that was true for a lot of other guys as well. My biggest fear, besides his lackluster playoff performace the last time he was in a playoff game, is his health status.

I don't want to overpay anyone either, but honestly I think locking up Al in his prime for $57mm isn't that bad.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Look for the time that I spoke as though Al was here already. You'll have a hard time, because I never did. The closest you'll find is one "this is a good move" post during the "99% done" phase.

My life has been pockmarked by lessons regarding "counting chickens". Speaking as if the future has already come to pass is a sure way to ensure that it never will.

Or as the old joke goes: "How do you make God laugh? Make a plan."

Now for the question at hand: What do we do?

Granger JO Harrison. And we take our lumps like we have a pair. It's the only starting lineup at front court that we NEVER TRIED last season. I remain one of the few that believes that in 07/08, few teams could compete with it.

EDIT: provided we truly invest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Look for the time that I spoke as though Al was here already. You'll have a hard time, because I never did. The closest you'll find is one "this is a good move" post during the "99% done" phase.

My life has been pockmarked by lessons regarding "counting chickens". Speaking as if the future has already come to pass is a sure way to ensure that it never will.

Or as the old joke goes: "How do you make God laugh? Make a plan."

Now for the question at hand: What do we do?

Granger JO Harrison. And we take our lumps like we have a pair. It's the only starting lineup at front court that we NEVER TRIED last season. I remain one of the few that believes that in 07/08, few teams could compete with it.

EDIT: provided we truly invest in it.
    And provided Harrison could stay on the floor longer than 10mpg.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    And provided Harrison could stay on the floor longer than 10mpg.
    Times Harrison fouled out last season: 0.

The foul myth is getting out of control.

EDIT: maybe you weren't talking about fouls. Still, more than 10 mpgs is what I mean by "investing".

any chance we can get AI? He'd certianly fill up conseco

If you don't get Al, you don't get Al. I don't think it hurts you much.

I'd look at using the TE with a player or two to get someone else. Your needs are:

1) Shooting
    2) A PG who won't drive you into heart failure when Tinsley's injured
    3) A better center

Work the phones and see what's out there. Al was an obvious player to go after because Atlanta doesn't want him. But if they're insisting on an unprotected 1st that's too much.

I just don't see where Al was going to make a huge difference. Maybe if I thought he was willing to go back to being a 6th man behind JO and Granger I'd feel otherwise. That's where he could best help the Pacers.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Jay Ohh

Use the MLE (and more if he wants it) to try and get Bonzi Wells.

Trade the TE for Morris Peterson. This way we can give up either Jack, one of our young guys, or even Daniels if we have to to get another big man, or PG.

Tinsley
    Wells
    Peterson
    JO
    Hulk/Foster

We get shooting and a solid second scorer in Bonzi.

Ok, I agree with the Bonzi Wells/MoPete approach...then we could safely rid ourselves of Stephen Jackson.

Jay Ohh

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33
    Ok, I agree with the Bonzi Wells/MoPete approach...then we could safely rid ourselves of Stephen Jackson.
    Pretty much. Getting those two gives us flexibility to put together a package for a good big man or PG, without really worrying about losing depth.

Maybe Jamaal Crawford for Tinsley? He's clutch, which is something we've needed for a while, and he can shoot. Only real problem with him is consistency, shot selection and defense(but he improved under LB last year) and all of those can be worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Times Harrison fouled out last season: 0.

The foul myth is getting out of control.

EDIT: maybe you weren't talking about fouls. Still, more than 10 mpgs is what I mean by "investing".
    Oh, I was talking about the fouls. There's a reason he didn't foul out. It's because Carlisle never let him. He averaged 3 fouls per game in 15 minutes. Now, if you extrapolate that out, it means he'd foul out within 30mpg EVERY GAME. And that's being kind, because the way David works, once he gets that first one, which usually take a few minutes, they're usually back to back and then he's out. He doesn't learn not to do what he's doing, instead deciding to embarrass the refs, which only makes it worse. So, given last season's shenanigans, if Rick had just left him in, no way he'd see more than 20 mpg in any game last year.

Hell, I'm bored, so I'll even give you a comparison. Jake Tsakalidis is a big stiff who tends to foul a lot because people beat him with quickness. He played 1 minute less per game than David, and still somehow managed to get 1 less foul per game. He also fouls more, on a per minute basis, than: Reggie Evans, Ha Seung-Jin,

The only guys I've found so far who foul as much as DH are Rafael Arujuo and Danny Fortson. That should say something there.

EDIT: Just went to ESPN.com. David ranks THIRD in Personal Fouls per 48 minutes, behind Dan Gadzuric and Andris Biedrins. I'd also like to point out that he ranked 19th in the league in Technicals, which is VERY impressive for a guy who only plays 15 mpg. Even more impressive is that he leads the league in Technicals per 48 minutes, and yes, that includes Rasheed Wallace.

Maybe you ought to re-think your stance on the whole "this is getting out of hand" thing. It's quite well in hand, thank you very much.

Actually i'm hoping we don't get Al because I don't think he is a good fit for this team and I don't want us to tie up so much money into a player like that long term. I don't think we would be considering him if he wasn't a former Pacer and Jermaine's friend.

To be honest I think that we should go after a legit big guy, like Sammuel Dalembert. I think that SD would be a great fit in here. But he has a low basketball IQ, way overpaid, and I don't know about his work ethic and he might have injury problems but I can't say for sure.

Or what about trying a deal with the Celtics? If they can't get AI, maybe we can get Delonte West and Theo Ratlif from them for TE and ? I think that Tinlsey or Jackson would match up great but I don't think the Celtics have much use for either of them to be honest. It would probably have to be TE plus Foster for those two but then we have to make sure that we have Tinsley dealt and our center position would be shaky.

Or what about a sign and trade for Drew Gooden? I bet we could get him for MLE type money. We could work a sign and trade using the TE or maybe trade Tinsley to the Cavs and find a replacement for Tinsley using the TE.

TE for Stromile Swift? Swift doesn't exactly have me excited though and I don't think that Rick is the right coach for him but I do think that Swift fits in well with what we are trying to do here and when you look at the money that Dalembert, Foyle, and guys like those are getting Swift is underpaid IMO.

I actually like the thought of what we can do with that TE. I think that we really should consider how bad we need Al though because I don't think he is needed here. He is good but when you look at our other starters they all need the ball to be effective and I think that you need some balance in your lineup and I think that we could do ourselves a favor by hopefully getting someone cheaper than Al who doesn't need the ball as much.

Al is a good player but I think that if he doesn't end up signing with else it will be a blessing in disguse. Of course though I still believe he signs with us.