Thread: Pacers.com Q.O.D } Should Roster Size Concern Management?

Question Pacers.com Q.O.D } Should Roster Size Concern Management?

Should Roster Size Concern Management?

Tuesday, Aug. 1, 2006

QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

Q. With all the recent acquisitions through free agency, trades, and draft pick signings, as well as the much-anticipated return of Al Harrington, I noticed that our roster will be well over the league limit of 15. What are the Pacers plans to reduce this number to the required number of 15 players? Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall, brought to Indiana through the trade of Anthony Johnson, don't seem to have guaranteed contracts, so could they be the primary candidates to be left off the roster when the season begins? (From Zhang in Beijing, China)

A. This has become an area of concern for many fans but there really is nothing to worry about. Yes, the Pacers currently have 15 players under contract (not including free agents Scot Pollard and Eddie Gill). Yes, if Al Harrington is acquired from Atlanta without a player being sent to the Hawks in return, the Pacers would then have 16 players under contract possibly 17 if John Edwards also is added to the deal. Yes, the NBA roster limit is 15, with 12 on the active roster and no more than three listed as inactive.

And no, there's absolutely no reason to panic.

See, here's the thing: the roster doesn't have to be at the limit until Oct. 30. That gives the front office a full three months to add, subtract, multiply, divide or otherwise extrapolate the number of players on the roster. If the Harrington deal is consummated as has been most recently reported (with Edwards also coming to the Pacers in exchange for a future first-round pick and cash, the roster would have 17 players. Of those, 15 have guaranteed contracts (Powell and Marshall do not), so another trade wouldn't be required for the team to reach the limit.

Given the way the summer has gone thus far, however, I would believe it reasonable to project one or two further moves in the next three months. So you see, there's plenty of time for the roster to continue its evolution.

PACERS.COM

Bruno did not count Hunter's signing which makes 16. Or the fact that Powell and Marshall's contract's will become guaranteed in the near future.

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: Pacers.com Q.O.D } Should Roster Size Concern Management?

So we have 18, plus Pollard would make 19. Crazy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would believe it reasonable to project one or two further moves in the next three months. So you see, there's plenty of time for the roster to continue its evolution.
    Yeah!!! Bruno said it, and Bruno knows!!

So keep on checking Pacers Digest every five minutes and listening to those gawd-offal talking heads on 950AM and 1260AM through the summer, Pacers fans. There's more to come.

N.B.: Technically, a talking head is a television personality. I'm not sure if the term is rightly applied to radio people.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam
    N.B.: Technically, a talking head is a television personality. I'm not sure if the term is rightly applied to radio people.
    You could always refer to them as disembodied voices.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    You could always refer to them as disembodied voices.

Is there a term that implies the voice is disconnected from the brain? Disembrainied? That's what I'm looking for.

No offense to anyone who likes JMV or the guy on 950AM. But I can't listen to them.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

woman without a team

No offense to anyone who likes JMV or the guy on 950AM. But I can't listen to them.
    The other guy is Greg Rakestraw. Does anybody like them?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    So we have 18, plus Pollard would make 19. Crazy.
    Well you've got 11 for offense, 11 on defense, plus a couple of special teams guys...I'm sure they'll get the roster filled out in time, really only 4-5 to go.

err...um...wait a second...

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    The other guy is Greg Rakestraw. Does anybody like them?
    The Rake !.. He's my 3rd favorite out of 3.

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah!!! Bruno said it, and Bruno knows!!

So keep on checking Pacers Digest every five minutes and listening to those gawd-offal talking heads on 950AM and 1260AM through the summer, Pacers fans. There's more to come.

Bruno knows a little bit more about what goes on behind the scenes then we do, but not a lot. I was imagine he is speculating, just as many fans are doign as well.

I guess since no one else has leaked it I will. I heard this when all the Pacer officials were down here in Florida. I'm not giving my source though.

I was told that the Pacers are signing so many players because they are going to scrimmage against the Colt's and whoever doesn't get hurt will make the team.

Managements position is if they don't get hurt playing football it's unlikely they will get hurt playing basketball, barring freak injuries of course.