Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Which Shooter Should We Target?

Default Discussion: Which Shooter Should We Target?

It is widely purported that the Pacers are "also hoping to add a center or power forward and perhaps a perimeter shooter" to their roster before the upcoming season...I started this thread to see who we, the fans, think is available and what it will take to get him.

So...in your opinion, what player should we target and what realisticallly should we prepare to give up in order to make the trade for a perimeter threat?

Default Re: Discussion: Which Shooter Should We Target?

Although he doesn't really play D, I like the suggestion of going after Mo Pete...I'm fairly sure he is available too.

I know Saras might seem like the obvious choice to trade away but I don't want to part with him just yet.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mo Pete does seem logical.

Mike Miller would be a great addition.

Jackson + Williams would match up Salary wise although not sure why Jerry West would do that specific trade.

I would really like Luther Head ,not sure if Houston would part with him though either.

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although he doesn't really play D, I like the suggestion of going after Mo Pete...I'm fairly sure he is available too.
    What makes you think that?

Kyle Korver

Luke Jackson would be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    What makes you think that?
    I'll try to find it but I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that he is being semi-shopped simply because he might not fit into the new plan. They did also add two new guys that I expect to get significant minutes at the 2 (Parker, Freddie).

Anyone who knows more could prove me wrong though.

As for Mike Miller, it's not a bad thought but why would the sixth man of the year be available?

What is this obsession with shooters? If the Pacers were to get a shooter, it should be a marquee name, and involve moving some other pieces. I really don't think role-playing shooters as in themselves are that important anymore. Even Phoenix, a shooting team, has guys who were not known for their shooting before the Nash era. This team needs an actual identity first.

I've posted my thoughts on Rashard Lewis before. You don't think of him as a pure shooter but he's close to 40% from 3. Does one or two other things too and at least a few months ago it sounded like he was available.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I like the idea of Mike Miller too...but I'm really not sure what they're looking for...they just re-signed Chucky Atkins and Damon Stoudemire remains the number one option, I doubt we could pawn off any of our point guards for him...They don't seem to be active on the trade scene or free agent radar at all

I've liked Kareem Rush for awhile but he doesnt seem to be the big minute guy we need...

I don't really like Wally Szczerbiak (I spell checked that) but given Boston's lack of experience, the injury prone shooter might be available at a decent price...I'm pretty sure a defensive-minded SG (Jackson?) would better match up with Light's Out Pierce (when he's hot)

Let's get Travis Diener too...

I'd rather keep Jackson than any of the names mentioned, save Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by kidthecat
    What is this obsession with shooters? If the Pacers were to get a shooter, it should be a marquee name, and involve moving some other pieces. I really don't think role-playing shooters as in themselves are that important anymore. Even Phoenix, a shooting team, has guys who were not known for their shooting before the Nash era. This team needs an actual identity first.
    That's why my number one guy would be Delonte West, followed by Ben Gordon. Unfortunately, those guys are a tad unrealistic.

I like Mo Pete and Mike Miller. Rashard Lewis would be great, but that's not realistic IMO. A report this morning said SA was interested in getting Bonzi...so maybe Finley or Brent Barry would be available? Jackson for Finley works straight up, Jack for Barry/Orberto (a big guy) works too. Maybe SA would welcome back an athletic wing who had success there whether they get Bonzi or not?

miller, crawford, or turkoglu

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kidthecat
    That makes a difference.

Any of the mentioned would be great. I don't know who's available, necessarily, but, I'd love to have a guy in the Steve Kerr mold, whoever it may be. That doesn't need to dominate the ball, or dominate a game - just be there when he's needed. A guy who understands his role, and plays within his means.

Oh yeah, and is lights out from distance.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Delonte West is the man up in Boston (I go to school there and I watch the Celtics when they're on) but he's just like Marquis Daniels in my opinion. Do you really think he's untouchable now that they have Telfair, Rajon Rondo, Allan "I Think Might Have Just Poked My Eye Out, No, I'm Sure You Did" Ray, and Tony Allen is returning??

I bet you they'd take Jackson

A PG that can shoot.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Delonte West. Ainge has been struggling to get things done and supposedly the buzz surrounding his young guns isn't as strong as might have been predicted.
    Ainge might be get desperate for some more veteren help for Pierce as the end of the off season nears.

I've said for a while that I'd like MoPete.

Jack and a future first? Works for me.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

woman without a team

The one on the grassy knoll.

It's a tough situation, because we're running out of pieces to trade. There'd be no point in trading Jax for a shooter, because it's highly unlikely you're going to find a team that wants SJax that also has a shooter that we need. That leaves trading Jax and something that someone needs for a shooter that we need and a crapper version of whatever we gave up.

If DW manages to have a balanced roster that also includes a 38%+ shooter, I'll be shocked, because the trade would have to be something like Jax and Foster for Miller and Tsakalidis. The fact is, we have a lot of guys that can't be traded due to their restrictions. O'Neal, Jackson, Tinsley, Sarunas, Danny, Foster and Harrison are the only guys that can be traded right now, and Jeff's got that Trade Kicker. Trading O'Neal opens a whole other can of worms, so let's shelve that one. Jackson is trading a SG for a SG, like I said. You can trade Tinsley or Sarunas, but it's already a position of weakness for us. I think Danny is pretty much untouchable, so that leaves Foster and Harrison. Trading one of them for a shooter gives us too much depth at SG and not enough at C, which is what leads me to believe the only way to get a SG that can shoot is to pawn off Jeff or Harrison along with Jax for some big stiff who gets about 5ppg and 5rpg and a shooter that can shoot.

My guess is that we'll go into the season as-is, and hope that somebody shows some flashes, that way we can make a trade deadline deal for a shooter.

I guess the memory of how we lost the New Jersey series is a bit too short here. We got killed on the break because we fell in love with the 3-point shot and couldn't run. I've said this a million times and I'll say it again. We don't need a long range 3-point bomber, we just need guys that can hit shots. If we have enough guys that can create, pass, run, jump, finish, and defend, the shooter becomes just a luxury.

The problem is that teams feel like they need true shooters, and those true shooters many times get them in trouble. Launching shot, after shot, after shot. Miami had one true guy that could shoot in James Posey, but he was there because he was one of their best defenders, not because he was a shooter. The fact that they had guys that could hit shots is what won them a championship.

I'd kill the get a shooter talk until I see what Danny Granger gives us this season. It's one thing to shoot 56% beyond the arc. But it's another thing for a Rookie to do it during his first post-season experience. That has to be promising enough to take a chance on. But even after the Playoffs, what was Bird's criticism of Granger? "Danny fell a bit too in love with the three-pointer".

That should tell you alone that getting a shooter isn't on the list. You'd think the way thing's are now that there was never an era where a three-point line didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy
    I guess the memory of how we lost the New Jersey series is a bit too short here. We got killed on the break because we fell in love with the 3-point shot and couldn't run. I've said this a million times and I'll say it again. We don't need a long range 3-point bomber, we just need guys that can hit shots. If we have enough guys that can create, pass, run, jump, finish, and defend, the shooter becomes just a luxury.

The problem is that teams feel like they need true shooters, and those true shooters many times get them in trouble. Launching shot, after shot, after shot. Miami had one true guy that could shoot in James Posey, but he was there because he was one of their best defenders, not because he was a shooter. The fact that they had guys that could hit shots is what won them a championship.

I'd kill the get a shooter talk until I see what Danny Granger gives us this season. It's one thing to shoot 56% beyond the arc. But it's another thing for a Rookie to do it during his first post-season experience. That has to be promising enough to take a chance on. But even after the Playoffs, what was Bird's criticism of Granger? "Danny fell a bit too in love with the three-pointer".

That should tell you alone that getting a shooter isn't on the list. You'd think the way thing's are now that there was never an era where a three-point line didn't exist.
    I could agree with this but that doesn't mean that our backcourt couldn't use another shooter, which it sorely does IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7
    I like Mo Pete and Mike Miller. Rashard Lewis would be great, but that's not realistic IMO. A report this morning said SA was interested in getting Bonzi...so maybe Finley or Brent Barry would be available? Jackson for Finley works straight up, Jack for Barry/Orberto (a big guy) works too. Maybe SA would welcome back an athletic wing who had success there whether they get Bonzi or not?
    Love the Finley idea. He still has it and San Antonio is the one team that would likely welcome Jackson back. IMO, he was huge in the team's 2003 title run. SA is aging a bit, so they might do this. Adding Finley and dropping Jack would instantly change our chemistry.