Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

  1. #1
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Question The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    Monday, July 31, 2006

    John Canzano

    Iverson, the Blazers next point guard?


    Quit trying to convince me that Allen Iverson isn't a point guard. He scored 33 points per game last year, he had 7.4 assists, and I love his leadership qualities. He gets to the free-throw line better than just about anyone I've ever seen, and he scored 40 or more points in 15 games last season.

    Today's column: Trade for Iverson.

    Seize the momentum from the seven previous trades this summer. There just aren't that many opportunities to get a top-tier player in the NBA. And top-tier players sell tickets, and win games. Iverson would fill the Rose Garden.

    Is he available?

    I always know more than I can write. An NBA GM told me over the weekend that Baron Davis and Iverson are both on the block
    .

    In Athens, during the Olympics I watched Iverson closely. It was the first time I'd been around him for an extended period. I watched him at practices. I talked with him off the court. And as the team was crumbling, and guys were going south, it was Iverson who continued to play hard, and lead.

    There are hackers and non-hackers in the world. He's a hacker. I mean that in the best way. I left Athens with a very different impression of Iverson. He didn't quit, and when it was over, and his teammates were scurrying to hide, Iverson was the one who stepped forward and apologized for the dismal performance.

    I believe he used the word, "embarrassed."

    Iverson for Zach Randolph --- straight up --- doesn't work under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Remember, the Blazers are over the salary cap, which means the salaries need to match within 125% plus $100,000. Straight up, there is a difference here of about $3 million to make it possible.

    A deal that works under the CBA is one that hypothetically sends Allen Iverson ($18.281 million) and Louis Williams ($664k) from the 76ers to Portland for Zach Randolph ($12 million), Travis Outlaw ($1.836 million), and Juan Dixon ($2.5 million).

    I think that's a better deal than Philly is going to find just about anywhere else for a player that is owed nearly $60 million over the next three years.

    Jamaal Magloire is a free agent at the end of the season, true. But the Blazers hold full Bird Rights here. They can offer more than anyone, which puts them in terrific position for a sign-and-trade. There are some real possibilities here if the team continues to be proactive.
    The Oregonian

    So apparently at least according this "source" Baron Davis is available. GS is obviously in the market for a tougher post presence to start.

    Why Not Us ?


  2. #2

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    >15 million, 3 more years (Baron)

    >18 million, 3 more years (AI)

    Not too easy to find a home, for Baron especially (given his injury history), with those salary numbers

    Both are staying put IMO unless Ainge goes after AI again.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  3. #3
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    Trade'em for each other.

  4. #4

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    It's a shame that Baron can't stay healthy because he would have the Warriors in the playoffs (likely to atleast.) and he would be considered a top 3-5 point guard if he played enough.

    I still don't understand why the 76ers want to trade AI. Unless you are getting some big expierings I would keep him. I think that the player they need to trade is Chris Webber...cough*knicks*cough.

  5. #5
    Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a shame that Baron can't stay healthy because he would have the Warriors in the playoffs (likely to atleast.) and he would be considered a top 3-5 point guard if he played enough.

    I still don't understand why the 76ers want to trade AI. Unless you are getting some big expierings I would keep him. I think that the player they need to trade is Chris Webber...cough*knicks*cough.
    I remember a few years back when baron was healthy, he was incredible.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

  6. #6
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,660
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember a few years back when baron was healthy, he was incredible.
    Baron Davis is a Steve Francis/Starbury type, destined to be a good player on bad teams. He is a prime chucker. They look good because they have consistantly high point totals. They make you say, "put him on a good team, and watch out!" But then they get on a good team and they turn out to be ineffective without the volume of shots. Much like Allen Iverson, you would have to build a team around him with rebounders, defenders and role players. He has to be option A and B. That's why that team in GS will never work with J-Rich and B. Davis.

  7. #7
    Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Baron Davis is a Steve Francis/Starbury type, destined to be a good player on bad teams. He is a prime chucker. They look good because they have consistantly high point totals. They make you say, "put him on a good team, and watch out!" But then they get on a good team and they turn out to be ineffective without the volume of shots. Much like Allen Iverson, you would have to build a team around him with rebounders, defenders and role players. He has to be option A and B. That's why that team in GS will never work with J-Rich and B. Davis.

    I thought he did pretty decent that year with NO,when he got Jamaal Magolore (or however ya spell it) into the allstar game.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Baron Davis is a Steve Francis/Starbury type, destined to be a good player on bad teams. He is a prime chucker. They look good because they have consistantly high point totals. They make you say, "put him on a good team, and watch out!" But then they get on a good team and they turn out to be ineffective without the volume of shots. Much like Allen Iverson, you would have to build a team around him with rebounders, defenders and role players. He has to be option A and B. That's why that team in GS will never work with J-Rich and B. Davis.
    I disagree with this statement. Baron Davis' problem has always been his health. Yes, he is a shoot-first PG, but he's FAR better both as a shooter and as a distributor than Francis/Starbury. And as far as I can tell, he's a better lockerroom presence as well. I'm not saying B. Davis is perfect, but he's a very good pg.

  9. #9
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,018
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    The Warriors were better last season when Baron wasn't playing, that should say something.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  10. #10
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,660
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Warriors were better last season when Baron wasn't playing, that should say something.
    Actually, the numbers are not quite as bad as I thought that they would be, but he does have the same number of attempts per game as Jack (~16), but he shoots a lower percentage. He does have good assist numbers though. I expected the shots per game to be Iverson/Kobe like, but that is not the case at all, but they are still too high for a guy that shoots less than 40% from the field.

  11. #11
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with this statement. Baron Davis' problem has always been his health. Yes, he is a shoot-first PG, but he's FAR better both as a shooter and as a distributor than Francis/Starbury. And as far as I can tell, he's a better lockerroom presence as well. I'm not saying B. Davis is perfect, but he's a very good pg.
    Actually, Baron is a problem.

    As I've said in the past, I keep up with the Warriors and read a local paper online and a message board for the Warriors. The think I'm getting about Baron is that he has been trying his teammate's and coach's patience. Why?
    He breaks plays.

    Coach will call a play, Baron will see an opportunity to shoot and try and go one on five. THe players have expressed that they are far more confortable with Monta Ellis playing the point....but Montgomery has said that he's not a fan of Monta playinig the point. Matter-of-fact, Montgomery has kinda implied that he doesn't know what to do with Monta. He doesn't consider him a PG, but then he's not a SG, too small. He thinks Monta doesn't know how to set guys up to score.

    Baron, on the other hand, breaks plays and freelances a lot, but they have to cater to him, because of the investment.

    When John Conzano says that Baron is on the block, still, I believe him. From what I've read, GS is quietly in a state of discontent about their PG situation.


    (On a side note, I REALLY curious to see if GS works some kind of threeway deal to move Baron and Murphy in order to bring in a more stable PG.)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  12. #12

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    This works:

    Jackson
    Tinsley
    Foster

    Davis
    Diogu
    Petrus


    Both sides would have to hesitate before saying no. Since Monty is still coach there Baron is on the block (they hate each other as was reported numerous times last season). They have to give up some talent to get rid of him and take back solid (with baggage) players. Trade one potential injured point for another. If nothing else it would give them items they can trade by the deadline if wanted.

    As for the Pacers Baron would give a shooter at Point and may be happy in the "running" style the pacers are switching to. diogu and Petrus give some more depth but the Pacers have to give up starters in return.

    Not sure I would do it but it would take some serious consideration.

  13. #13
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    I don't think so. He's managed to alienate both his coach and his teammates. People like to diss on Iverson, but Baron plays the way Iverson used to. I think he would be a problem in so many ways, both on the court and in the lockeroom. Davis is a guy who would be a culture of Knuckehead all by himself.

    Let me put it this way. I'm dying to unload Tinsley, but I'd keep Jamaal over Baron in a heartbeat.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,257

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think so. He's managed to alienate both his coach and his teammates. People like to diss on Iverson, but Baron plays the way Iverson used to. I think he would be a problem in so many ways, both on the court and in the lockeroom. Davis is a guy who would be a culture of Knuckehead all by himself.

    Let me put it this way. I'm dying to unload Tinsley, but I'd keep Jamaal over Baron in a heartbeat.
    Agree. (Ann) B Davis is a great guy to have on your fantasy team, but NOT a great guy to have on your real NBA team. He has almost unlimited talent, but he doesn't have the team-first mindset necessary to be a great point guard.

    Hopefully at some point in his career he will figure it out, but I don't think it will happen. When is guy is getting paid the kind of money he's making, there is absolutely no incentive to change.

  15. #15
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: The Oregonian} Baron Davis (and AI) still on the Trading Block

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think so.
    Yeah, I decided the same and delted my post.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •